September 30, 2024, 09:25:09 PM

Author Topic: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews  (Read 31081 times)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »
Gift certificate wasted then, no?

Tomorrow is a good tune but I feel it couldve been great, at one point after the 2nd verse it seems like the songs going to explode but they chill it down before it goes into t/solo then songs done. Feel teased, song shouldve been more.  Anyways, is Kretz using bongos in this tune, and some of the drumming sounds Bi-Polar Bear

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
Gift certificate wasted then, no?

Tomorrow is a good tune but I feel it couldve been great, at one point after the 2nd verse it seems like the songs going to explode but they chill it down before it goes into t/solo then songs done. Feel teased, song shouldve been more.  Anyways, is Kretz using bongos in this tune, and some of the drumming sounds Bi-Polar Bear

It was joined with another purchase under the gift card.  But for the value that the EP represented........TBD......... :-\
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
The Japan edition comes with a bonus DVD that contains the EPK video along with the promo clip for Out of Time

1. Out of Time (teaser)
2. EPK

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICN-1048
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
AMG review:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/high-rise-mw0002579235

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine 

3.5/5 stars

Following years of addiction and animosity, Stone Temple Pilots finally severed ties with their lead singer, Scott Weiland, in 2013 and, like so many survivors of dysfunctional relationships, decided to pursue a new romance with somebody who is the complete opposite of their ex. STP traded in the tattered junkie glamour of Weiland for the studied earnestness of Chester Bennington, who, as the lead singer of Linkin Park, never demonstrated any facility for the hooky arena-psychedelia of STP at their prime. Unexpectedly, the 2013 EP High Rise finds this theoretically awkward marriage thriving because the two parties opted to spend their time crafting simple, straightforward, workingman rock. Bennington remains a singularly unsexy rock star -- he has no swagger, only determination -- but the DeLeo brothers are so fond of big, arena-filling hooks that the five songs on this EP are ingratiating despite their dogged lack of frills. Echoes of STP's past are heard throughout this EP -- "Out of Time," with its malevolent hook, could've fit on Core, "Black Heart" is a glam-stop straight out of Tiny Music, "Same on the Inside" is a slow, sugary ballad that brings to mind Purple -- and to Bennington's credit, he doesn't strut, he lets the songs speak for themselves. Weiland's trashiness is missed -- it kept STP unpredictable and alluring; they were junk food that you couldn't resist -- but these songs are expertly sculpted, playing upon the kind of riffs and melodies that made the group alt-rock titans in the '90s, and still sounding somewhat irresistible even when they're po-faced.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:20:50 PM by RhettButler »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2013, 08:17:03 PM »
Not that I disagree with this review, but my opinion is that music critics are pretty much completely worthless.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »
Not that I disagree with this review, but my opinion is that music critics are pretty much completely worthless.
Technically speaking, every review is completely worthless except your own.

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2013, 12:46:10 AM »

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

steven28174

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2013, 07:10:36 AM »
I've been quiet over the past few years but have always kept up with the board. Quick introduction to newer members: first saw STP October 26 2000 in Charlotte, have since seen them eight additional times including December 30, 2001 (legendary show at House of Blues), saw them on the self titled tour, saw VR three times, etc. Big STP, Rob & Dean Deleo, & Scott Weiland fan.

I really like the new EP. Never been a LP fan, but have always appreciated what a great singer CB is. Longed to see him in a real rock band where he could display his talents. Love Scott to death, but he's a train wreck & I consider the last two shows I saw him with STP to be disappointments due to the deterioration of his voice and performances.

On to my thoughts regarding High Rise:

Out of Time is an awesome rock tune and sounds like STP. Hated Black Heart & Cry Cry initially, but now they're two of my favorite tracks. Same On the Inside is another solid STP tune in my book & Tomorrow is a cool song with great performances by the brothers. I can't wait to see what these guys do next. I hope they get in the studio next chance they get and hammer out a full album. This EP really shows the potential this new iteration of STP has. I'm a little concerned with sales lowering the band's enthusiasm, but I'm hoping at this point they all have enough money and are doing it for the love of creating STP music. Here's to hoping for a successful and musically productive new era for Stone Temple Pilots.

-Steven

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
My girlfriend says she thinks the EP sounds like something from the era of Goo Goo Dolls/Vertical Horizon/Third Eye Blind.

I thought that was interesting because that was my exact impression of the self-titled album. I even got slammed on this board for saying it. I very much dislike the self-titled album except TALO.

Anyway, this EP is quite poppy, and I wish it was heavier with crunchy guitar riffs, but it is far better than the era mentioned above. IMO, the best tune is OOT, and I would give the EP a 6.5 out of 10.

I'd like to see a full album from them.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

BillMurraylovesSTP

• Im streets ahead
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34:22 AM »
they should have done this
released a boxset of STP kinda like Nirvana's lights out boxset
that could have closed the chapter on Scott Weiland as the old singer
my theory is that would have made the fan base happy while putting out the EP
so they could continue playing that same setlist with a few extra songs
so every interview they speak about Scott  he is staying in the spot light with every interview.
If his managment is listening he should release something soon..
I know I am dreaming
follow me on
@Jrlthinks on instagram
@lakethinks twitter

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »
they should have done this
released a boxset of STP kinda like Nirvana's lights out boxset
that could have closed the chapter on Scott Weiland as the old singer
my theory is that would have made the fan base happy while putting out the EP
so they could continue playing that same setlist with a few extra songs
so every interview they speak about Scott  he is staying in the spot light with every interview.
If his managment is listening he should release something soon..
I know I am dreaming

I'd say it will be mid-late 2015 before anything comes from Scott Weiland. Just a guess of course.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2013, 01:56:38 AM »
Rolling Stone review:

2 out of 5 stars

Beyond replacing Scott Weiland with a moonlighting Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, this EP - STP's skimpy return after three years - doesn't take chances.  All five songs check in between 3:15 and 3:32, and they're all midtempo.  "Black Heart" and "Cry Cry" at least manage a moderately garage-y, vaguely AC/DC-like boogie stomp, and Dean Deleo sneaks in passably rustic guitar fills here and there.  But the bright power-glam bounce that the band often achieved behind Weiland is missing.  And closing with a dreary number called "Tomorrow" was a lapse in judgement - in the realm of fake grunge, Silverchair own that title forever.

I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2013, 02:28:33 AM »
Rolling Stone review:

2 out of 5 stars

Beyond replacing Scott Weiland with a moonlighting Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, this EP - STP's skimpy return after three years - doesn't take chances.  All five songs check in between 3:15 and 3:32, and they're all midtempo.  "Black Heart" and "Cry Cry" at least manage a moderately garage-y, vaguely AC/DC-like boogie stomp, and Dean Deleo sneaks in passably rustic guitar fills here and there.  But the bright power-glam bounce that the band often achieved behind Weiland is missing.  And closing with a dreary number called "Tomorrow" was a lapse in judgement - in the realm of fake grunge, Silverchair own that title forever.

Ouch! Not that they were ever kind to STP, but damn.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19