September 30, 2024, 09:23:39 PM

Author Topic: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews  (Read 31078 times)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2013, 05:03:51 PM »
Agreed that listening to it on cd and on a decent system makes it sound better
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »

I'm considering buying a second copy to give to a friend. A small gesture to balance out all the hate and unfairness directed at the band.
We definitely think alike. I already did that. But honestly, I really love the EP and want to share it. Nevertheless, I agree that all the complaining and hate directed toward the band is getting really tiresome. For me, it’s about the music. Yes, I love Scott and the prior incarnation of STP. But that ship has sailed. Why can’t people get that through their heads? Now we have this. So, listen and like it. Or don’t.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »

I'm considering buying a second copy to give to a friend. A small gesture to balance out all the hate and unfairness directed at the band.
We definitely think alike. I already did that. But honestly, I really love the EP and want to share it. Nevertheless, I agree that all the complaining and hate directed toward the band is getting really tiresome. For me, it’s about the music. Yes, I love Scott and the prior incarnation of STP. But that ship has sailed. Why can’t people get that through their heads? Now we have this. So, listen and like it. Or don’t.

+1. It's become apparent that some people are going to put a negative spin on everything possible involving the band. We all have a choice, negative or positive. All I know is, I'm blasting High Rise on repeat and I'm smiling.

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »
I like it.  I don't love it but I like it.  The music is great IMO.  I could just listen to instrumentals, but I also say this about anything STP/TS/AOA has done.

Ok here's the thing, just my two cents but I feel like Chester is actually a better "singer" than Scott but he just doesn't have that tone that makes Scott great.
I haven't really posted about this whole thing but have been reading and it's mostly just biased/argumentative  nonsense I've seen on here.  And it's sort of a turn off.  Like who you like but ripping on musicianship or song writing at this point is just lame.
It truly shows what kind of fan you are.
I love everything STP has ever put out and also the other projects.  I'm not taking sides because I'm excited that new music is coming out from the guys.  Just like I will be excited when Scott releases anything new.

Anyhow, for me 'Cry Cry' and 'Tomorrow' are the two highlights from the record and Black Heart sort of brings it down for me.

FTR I never really listened to LP too much and know their songs a little but I was surprised Chester sang as good as he did.  But I found myself missing Scott's tone.

Still a good record though, and one I'll be listening to a lot.

Oh and who cares if a million people came here and skewed the vote?  What difference does it make?  Your point of view wins?  Just be happy new rock and roll is coming out instead of all of the Miley/Robin Thicke BS that's out there.

Just my two cents.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
It is startling to hear a CD after a long time of listening to mp3s, even if they are 256 or 320 kbps. The CD does sound pretty good

My thoughts are already sprinkled throughout, but I thought it was interesting that the writing credits were different than any other STP release. The songs are credited equally to all four guys.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
I guess that is just to ensure they all get an even split of royalties. We know it doesn't actually reflect who wrote what, since they already said in a interview that Cry Cry was brought to them fairly complete by Bennington.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2013, 01:03:11 AM »
#19 on iTunes.  Enjoy the EP but I hope they knew that they weren't going to get good sales numbers without a full album.

Where are the LP fans?  Thought they'd buy this up.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2013, 05:35:24 AM »
I love the EP. The only song I don't like as much as the others is Black Heart. It's not like it is bad - I just don't feel it. Same with a few old STP songs, like Pretty Penny, Long Way Home and a few others.

I would say that the biggest challenge for the band is to undo all of the damage to the band's reputation and popularity that Scott caused the last few years. They will need to deal with a low attendence and lack of interest for some time solely because of Scott.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

DeadandTrippin92

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2013, 05:38:21 AM »
I love the EP. The only song I don't like as much as the others is Black Heart. It's not like it is bad - I just don't feel it. Same with a few old STP songs, like Pretty Penny, Long Way Home and a few others.

I would say that the biggest challenge for the band is to undo all of the damage to the band's reputation and popularity that Scott caused the last few years. They will need to deal with a low attendence and lack of interest for some time solely because of Scott.

Solely because of Scott?? I understand you're a newly found Chester fan boy but you can't be serious

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2013, 05:50:44 AM »

Solely because of Scott?? I understand you're a newly found Chester fan boy but you can't be serious
Sorry, I guess I was wrong. Just a year ago Stone Temple Pilots were insanely popular band playing rocking shows in front of a sold-out crowds. Everybody loved them.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

DeadandTrippin92

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2013, 05:59:38 AM »

Sorry, I guess I was wrong. Just a year ago Stone Temple Pilots were insanely popular band playing rocking shows in front of a sold-out crowds. Everybody loved them.

Can't put the blame solely on Scott, that is absolutely ridiculous.

If you want to blame anyone for the decline in popularity then blame the DeLeo's. There the ones who wanted to self produce Self Titled. If  Brendan O'Brien or any other solid producer had produced S/T it would have been more successful and a whole hell out of a lot better.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2013, 07:10:46 AM »
I guess that is just to ensure they all get an even split of royalties. We know it doesn't actually reflect who wrote what, since they already said in a interview that Cry Cry was brought to them fairly complete by Bennington.

Well I didn't think anything had changed as far as how things go, it is just interesting after a career--Talk Show and Army of Anyone included--of separating who wrote the music and who wrote the lyrics that they would do the unified thing.

The royalties might be split 25% each, but they could easily change the percentage for each song.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »

Well I didn't think anything had changed as far as how things go, it is just interesting after a career--Talk Show and Army of Anyone included--of separating who wrote the music and who wrote the lyrics that they would do the unified thing.

It shows that there are no controlling egos in the band I guess. Queen did the same thing later in their career when they decided that arguing over songwriting credits was just divisive.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »

If you want to blame anyone for the decline in popularity then blame the DeLeo's.
I knew it. Those damn manipulative DeLeos.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2013, 07:49:56 PM »
I used an expiring gift certificate to purchase it.  Haven't listened yet though.  Not sure when I'll get around to it....
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18