September 30, 2024, 07:34:35 PM

Author Topic: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews  (Read 31067 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 06:53:20 AM »
Looks like a few more LP fans came here to vote.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 07:00:32 AM »

Yep, that's correct!  Linkin Park fan right here! STP fan since 92' as well. Nothing wrong with loving both bands~! Cheers!

8)

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 07:07:36 AM »
It's all rubbish... I hate the EP. Chester, please stick with Linkin Park. This whole "karaoke" thing, 'I want to sound like Scott Weiland...' Isn't working. The DeLeo's and Kretz need Scott just as much as Scott needs them. Simple as that.
-Bill_

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »
How i see it:

Chester does what he can on the EP. There are a few clear rules that come from being tagged STP- They're using the Scott-like ways (melodies and Scott trademarks- a longtime fan will know), make every song a radio-friendly single and get new fans.

I was shocked how most of the songs still sound like S/T musically. Black Heart for example is another sibling of Huckleberry Crumble and Hickory Dichotomy. Gotta say i was expecting No.4-ish material. That hard edge and freedom from Chester. But the rules apply and limit things. They'd be more free with a new name. Chester brings the fans well enough.

I've played the EP over and over again and the music on all is just so very inspired and you can sense the energy these guys are back into. S/T seemed so thrown together. Lazy from all sides. High Rise to me has uninspired lyrics, lyrics which clearly talk about the present STP situation, instead of seeing beyond that. Enough of a statement of the present situation. SOTI has no breathing space once Chester starts singing. Cry, Cry while very catchy, lacks in the lyrics. Tomorrow's a good closer. STP used to be so abstract, now its just for radio and to make a statement without Scott.

Overall, its STP musically, energetic and love Rob's melodies on it. But no expectations in terms of lyrics and vocal lines. Without the STP tag, I love it. New name, new name! :|

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »

Yep, that's correct!  Linkin Park fan right here! STP fan since 92' as well. Nothing wrong with loving both bands~! Cheers!

8)

Hah, yeah, but you've been here all along.  I wouldn't say I'm a LP "fan" (maybe casually), but I'm a fan of Chester, and always stuck up for him here.  I'm just not going to let that clout my opinion of the EP.

It just seems like new members, who may not be familiar with STP are seeping in with their overprotective LP/Chester views, and disregard of STP.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
I am not an LP fan.

Just an observation: 16 people sure seem to make a lot of noise.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »

Overall Two thumbs up here.  I'd give it an 7/8 out of 10 and I'm excited to see what a full length album would sound like. 

My thoughts:

The good-
Gotta say- I am enjoying it quite a bit as well.  THis is a good new direction for the band.  The EP is energetic and really does feel as if the entire band is fully vested again (finally!).  I think the first two songs are probably the weakest on the album.  After a few days I still cant get the chorus of Cry Cry out of my head.  Same On the Inside is probably my favorite new STP song since the reunion.  Chester shows STP and Scott proper respect by staying true to the formula while still managing to put his own melodic touch on STP.  He's a perfect fit for the new songs, yet they still sound like STP (especially Tomorrow). 

Rob's bass work is FANTASTIC on the EP.  Especially Cry Cry.  This EP is very bass driven and it sounds amazing. 

Not sure who produced it, but the production is much better than S/T. 

The bad-
Unfortunately this EP continues the new STP direction of (by in large) refusing to make songs longer than 4min.  I really feel STP is artificially limiting their music by trying to make overly radio friendly songs and trying to keep them from being too long.  I remember them starting to make comments way back in the SLDD era about, and its been getting worse since.  I'd really like to see STP just let the songs flow.  If they're 3min, great.  If they're 7min, thats great too.  I'm not looking for Pink Floyd here, I'd just like to see them focus more on making the song as great as possible without worrying about the running time.  I feel some of these songs could use an extra chorus/bridge/solo or maybe an extended outro.

Kretz keeps it a little too simple for my tastes on the new tracks.  He's never been overly flashy and I like that, but I'd like to see him be a little bit more tricky/experimental with his beats.  Its pretty straight up drum work on the EP. 

A relatively minor complaint but Chester's vocal runs at the end of Same on the Inside are a little out of place, they sound rushed.  There's a couple places there where it would have sounded better for him to hold the high note rather than go right back into the line.  Still a great song, but its a missed opportunity, IMO. 

Lyrics arent bad by any stretch, but Scott's lyrics are generally a step up.  I suspect Chester's lyrics will continue to improve as the band works together more and has more time to work on the songs.  Its a fair counterpoint that these songs from conception to release was VERY quick.  For this reason though, I do have some concerns about STPs music with Chester, because LP is a very active band, and as Chester has mentioned, is his #1 priority.  I worry a bit about Chester having enough time to really get in the trenches with STP and give his lyrics and melodies enough time to brew. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:18:49 PM by Aaron »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
Well since there's only two extremes here I had to go with hate it, because I definitely don't love it. If there were were a few more options I probably would have been a bit more generous. It's a 4/10 for me.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 05:32:22 PM »
Because my phone sucks it accidentally voted hated. So remove one of the hate votes, and put it in the love column.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
Because my phone sucks it accidentally voted hated. So remove one of the hate votes, and put it in the love column.
Hahaha...here's one of those LP fans who were accused earlier of skewing the vote.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »
Does anyone here subscribe to Rolling Stone? Wondering if they reviewed it yet. I'm also eager to read The All Music Guide review.

Here's a good review:
http://www.soundspheremag.com/reviews/ep-review-stone-temple-pilots-with-chester-bennington-high-rise/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:48:22 PM by RhettButler »

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 11:50:46 PM »
hate LP, big STP fan for all my life and i LOVE IT

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 12:08:47 AM »
Solid throughout. I had no idea Chester was such a good vocalist. Definitely psyched to hear more from STPwCB.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 12:15:20 AM »
Does anyone here subscribe to Rolling Stone? Wondering if they reviewed it yet. I'm also eager to read The All Music Guide review.

Here's a good review:
http://www.soundspheremag.com/reviews/ep-review-stone-temple-pilots-with-chester-bennington-high-rise/

Guarentee its gettn 3 1/2, its RS predtermined rating for STP

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
Solid throughout. I had no idea Chester was such a good vocalist. Definitely psyched to hear more from STPwCB.

couldnt agree more. i have shown a few songs to people who arent huge stp fans but all hate LP. every one of them expected it to suck and every one of them enjoyed it and were surprised how versatile chester is.