September 30, 2024, 07:16:00 PM

Author Topic: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews  (Read 31043 times)

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 04:32:33 AM »
To answer RhettButler's question above, I subscribe to Rolling Stone and follow their site and I haven't seen a High Rise review yet. Like you I'm looking forward to it as well as AllMusic's review. They are typically always good.

So back to the album...after listening to it countless times today, I'm starting to get a more detailed perspective on it compared to what I posted earlier. Here's my track by track review:

Out Of Time: Great fast paced first single that grabs your attention... I've obviously known the song for months know and it took me awhile to really get into it at first because I was still getting over the shock that it was an STP song without Scott singing. Like some others have said, I thought this song would be more indicative of what High Rise would sound like, but now that we all know that High Rise has more of a "Peace Album" vibe, I'm cool with this being the one "heavy song"

Black Heart: I love this song, probably my favorite on the EP. I just think everything about it is so groovy and catchy...the verses, chorus, bridge...all of it is just awesome

Same On The Inside: A good song, and definitely hit material, but I definitely don't love it like a lot of you fellow Below Emptyers seem to. I really like the tone of Dean's guitar in the verses, but the chorus is just almost too mainstream sounding in my opinon...although Chester nails it vocally. I also agree with Aaron that the ending of the song does seem rushed and could be tweaked a little bit.

Cry Cry: This could end up being my favorite song on the album. The only reason why it probably isn't yet is because I finally heard the entire thing today whereas I've known Black Heart for a month or so now. The main riff in this song isn't anything special, but Chester's vocals just bring the verses together and make it work really well. I love the pre-chorus, very Weilandish, and absolutely LOVE the chorus. Like someone else mentioned, I can't get that damn chorus out of my head! I can't wait to listen to this song drunk and jump on top of my furniture screaming "CRY CRY IT'S ALL A SHOW!" haha. My only complaint with this song is the end...it is WAY too rushed and I really don't like how it ends so abruptly.

Tomorow: My third favorite track, that main riff is just vintage STP and everything about the song is just really solid. Chester sounds especially good on this one imo. Very passionate. Dean's solo is great on this one too of course

This is only the beginning folks...I love Scott for life but I'm a full blown supporter of CheSTP and this EP. I will likely play it to death in the coming weeks/months. Like I said earlier though, I just wish it was longer! Can't wait to see what they put out next...hopefully the songs will be even better after they have some more time together
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
Finally got it in the post today.

Voted Love It. In reality, I really like it.

Think the 3 new tracks are all very good, stronger tracks than either single, but I can see why they went with the singles that they did as they are more radio friendly. Some really new sounds coming from the guys here, which I like. They've always been about eclecticism, but since Tiny I haven't felt they have really stretched their sound, although they have always stretched their songwriting. Actual new sounds here though.

All in all I give it 7/10. Decent effort, look forward to an album, or another EP.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
Hopefully I can find it in stores tomorrow and spin it in my car to give a full listen
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »
Im leaning more towards loving it but love is such a strong word, lol ... after several spins id have to say Black Heart is the best tune, its just got a great vibe and groove, Cry Cry is my least fav

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2013, 01:49:17 AM »
Hopefully it'll be on iTunes later tonight. Only heard Black Heart but liked it.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2013, 07:20:35 AM »
Just bought it and listened to it after only hearing Black Heart. I went into it really wanting to like it but OMG it's horrible! I agree with everyone that Chester just does a cheap Scott imitation and the songs are very bland and generic. Probably the worst thing the Deleos have released. I actually loved Army of Anyone too. Sorry but the new EP lacks the edge of the original STP.  Guess I really should have streamed it first. Found myself wanting to skip every song before it was over.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
I just gave it gave the whole thing a spin for the frst time as well, I really like the first two singles and also liking "Same on t/Inside", Tomorrow is not bad and Cry Cry is the weakest of them all IMO
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »
Happy Release Day, STP!
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2013, 05:43:55 PM »
Overall Rating:  B-

I'm glad the guys are continuing to create new music, although there are several moments where I wish we could hear what Scott would have done with some of this material.  Mastered way too loud of course. 
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
I said I would give this one last try once the official release came out, but I'm sorry to say I still just can't talk myself into this.

Out of Time - Still sounds hastily put together to me. The DeLeo's wanted the world to know they dumped Scott and they wanted it to know NOW. Unfortunately, it shows. This song is quite clumsy, which is a shame because it contains the best music on the entire album, with the exception of Dean's solo, which sounds like a rough draft of his Take a Load Off solo. The pre-chorus is vintage STP, and the only real reason I tuned in to the EP at all. However, Chester stomps all over the rest of this one with some over the top angsty vocals. The lyrics are complete mind trash as well. I'm not convinced Chester penned them, since they sure do sound like a shot at Scott, but they're bad. This song is really missing the finesse that Scott brings to the table.

Black Heart - Probably the best song on the album, and surprisingly, this is all due to Chester. The music here is completely lackluster. It's almost shocking how much the DeLeos phoned it in on this one. Where are the signature funky chords and progressions I'm used to hearing from these guys? The inventive transitions and accents? Don't get me wrong, this song is catchy as hell, but this is what I come to Franz Ferdinand or Jet for, not STP. It's a guilty pleasure at best, but I'll hand it to Chester, he channels that retro rock n roll feel quite nicely here. 

Same on the Inside - Didn't Chester write this song already? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHpvjrFpe0.

It's fine, I guess. Again, nothing all that interesting musically, with the exception of that great little run Rob goes on at the end. But one snazzy bassline a song does not make. It reminds me of all the things I liked about Linkin Park when I was in middle school, but not so much anymore.

Cry Cry - There are some big fans of this song on this board, but I just don't see it. I think it's the worst song on the album. I really don't have much to say about it. Those "yeah yeah yeah"'s are painful.

Tomorrow - God, don't you wish Scott was singing this one? Such a vintage Scott Weiland melody. I give Chester credit for even drawing that comparison, but he still just sounds angsty and doesn't contrast well with the DeLeos music. It's the same feeling I got listening to Same on the Inside, it took me back to middle school, but not in a good way. It kind of feels like going back to your old girlfriend after you've been dating a better looking one for years just because she's moved back to your city and it's convenient

I almost wish Chester would try and emulate Scott more. Almost. It just sounds like the lead singer of Linkin Park singing over STP music. Watching videos of Chester with Camp Freddy, I was praying we'd see some of that versatility on the EP. Unfortunately, it looks like for the most part (save Black Heart) he's sticking to his roots and sounding like the same guy he was in LP. Which is fine, he's still a hell of a singer, I just wish he'd do the bigger and better things I know he can do. Maybe with a bit more time with the DeLeo bros and Kretz he can let the beast out of its cage, but I just don't see it yet.

4/10
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »
#19 on iTunes.  Enjoy the EP but I hope they knew that they weren't going to get good sales numbers without a full album.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
#19 on iTunes.  Enjoy the EP but I hope they knew that they weren't going to get good sales numbers without a full album.

im buying the physical copy, i dont really get why people use itunes. not great quality. hopefully a lot of fans are going out to the stores

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »

im buying the physical copy, i dont really get why people use itunes. not great quality. hopefully a lot of fans are going out to the stores
I can back this up. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but there is a marked difference between the sound quality/fidelity of the actual CD vs the mp3s we've been hearing for the past week and a half. The audio seperation, bass, snares etc are all a lot more crisp.

Plus it's awesome to hold the CD in your hands, knowing that it's a completely independant release and that a lot of hard work and love went into making that EP possible. The packaging admittedly doesn't quite have the same "quality" as a major label release, but it's still special. /warmfuzzyfeeling

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
It's true, as soon as I heard OOT on the CD I was immediately struck by how shitty the free mp3 sounded by comparison.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »
It's true, as soon as I heard OOT on the CD I was immediately struck by how shitty the free mp3 sounded by comparison.

I can't get over the difference! Cranking the CD right now, every song sounds markedly better

I'm considering buying a second copy to give to a friend. A small gesture to balance out all the hate and unfairness directed at the band.