September 30, 2024, 03:32:41 PM

Author Topic: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews  (Read 31013 times)

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
To those whom it may concern, the vinyl of this EP sounds fantastic. Rob's bass is so at the front, it sounds amazing.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »
To those whom it may concern, the vinyl of this EP sounds fantastic. Rob's bass is so at the front, it sounds amazing.

Interesting considering he's now in charge.....

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2013, 12:17:15 AM »

I've been listening to the CD, I wish he were more prominent in that mix. His playing is superb, especially at the end of "Same on the Inside".

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2013, 08:32:17 AM »

Interesting considering he's now in charge.....

It's good to be king. All Hail King Rob!

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2013, 08:47:13 AM »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2013, 09:35:03 AM »
To be clear I am not saying the mix is different, just that the dynamics on the record are better, and his bass sounds clearer and more defined.

Nothing to do with him being in charge, or having the mix changed or anything like that, that would just be silly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:37:02 AM by Pingfah »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
We all know you were implying that he boosted himself in the mix for the vinyl release! And we all know it's because he is in charge now!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!11!

Seriously though, the bass on SOTI sounds fucking amazing now. Strat is right that is some of the best playing on the EP, you can really hear how detailed his part is there, it's very good.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
I love Rob's style of playing; he is absolutely integral to the STP sound in ways that few bass players are. I'm mostly a guitar player, and there I have many varied influences, but when it comes to my dabblings in bass, I just try my best to sound like Rob.

About the vinyl: I'm not an audiophile, but I'm just curious: Since the EP was recorded on digital, doesn't it defeat the purpose from an audio quality perspective of a vinyl release? In my [limited] understanding, the reason some prefer vinyl is because it retains the full fidelity of an analog recording, whereas there is always going to be some loss of fidelity with digital, even if it's not heard because you are recording at stupid high sample rates.

Or is the appeal in the way vinyl recreates the frequency spectrum, in other words, giving a certain "sound"? (For example, how Rob's bass may sound more defined when played back on vinyl, even though it's cut from the same master as the CD and download versions.)

Again, I'm just an amateur at mixing and production, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »
That's a good question, the final studio file will likely be a digital recording at 24bit, 96khz, when they are mastered for CD they are downsampled to 16bit, 44100khz as that is the limitation of the format, whereas vinyl is capable of reflecting the original 24bit master much better. So typically it still produces better results even if the recording was all digital.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2013, 08:07:21 PM »
That's a good question, the final studio file will likely be a digital recording at 24bit, 96khz, when they are mastered for CD they are downsampled to 16bit, 44100khz as that is the limitation of the format, whereas vinyl is capable of reflecting the original 24bit master much better. So typically it still produces better results even if the recording was all digital.

most records i work on start 88.2 because it divides evenly down to 44.1.  unless its going to be heavily used in video, you dont like weird divisions when trying to maintain high quality

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:15 PM »
That makes sense. What about DVD audio? Why didn't that take off?

I remember I was looking for the Core DVD-A a while back and could never find it.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2013, 08:05:14 AM »
About the vinyl: I'm not an audiophile, but I'm just curious: Since the EP was recorded on digital, doesn't it defeat the purpose from an audio quality perspective of a vinyl release? In my [limited] understanding, the reason some prefer vinyl is because it retains the full fidelity of an analog recording, whereas there is always going to be some loss of fidelity with digital, even if it's not heard because you are recording at stupid high sample rates.

Or is the appeal in the way vinyl recreates the frequency spectrum, in other words, giving a certain "sound"? (For example, how Rob's bass may sound more defined when played back on vinyl, even though it's cut from the same master as the CD and download versions.)

I am an audiophile and I've recorded and produced a good bit of professional work at this point. 

It mostly depends on the mastering job in the "CD vs. Vinyl" debate.  Generally speaking you master audio for CD/DD (digital distribution) considerably louder than you do (well, can) for vinyl.  If you pressed vinyl with the same loudness that a CD has, the needle would just all over the record.

Now, when you're pushing more and more of a finite signal (as in, recording digitally) one of the first things that starts giving you issue is any loud transients, like bass drums, lower toms, and in some cases snare drums, and also any sustained bass, like a bass guitar primarily or potentially an electric guitar depending on tone (if we're limiting ourselves to "rock" here).  The LOW bass is generally rolled off as much as possible before you start really doing a lot of mastering work with compressors, limiters, exciters, etc. as to avoid crushing them up against your peak. 

So, for vinyl, you don't have to worry quite as much about crushing that out into distortion in your master since you're mastering for a much lower loudness.  This is what gives rise to most people saying that vinyl sounds "warmer" than anything digital.  It's usually simply because there is more low bass and low mids in the mix. 

As for the claim that it gets you closer to the original quality signal that was recorded and CDs are very limited, ehhh, mostly bullshit.  It matters a lot more to a cat than to a human.  A considerable amount of so-called "fidelity" is captured and represented in the higher mid and treble regions where vinyl starts to not be able to reproduce vibrations of size (the higher the frequency, the smaller the "bump" on the vinyl material).

That makes sense. What about DVD audio? Why didn't that take off?

I remember I was looking for the Core DVD-A a while back and could never find it.
Because in general most people are either deaf or don't give a flying shit.  Most people can't hear the difference between a 128kbps .MP3 and a CD.  Almost nobody can hear the difference between a CD and a DVD-A.  There is something to be said for 24-bit/96k audio causing less "listening fatigue" but you'll find just as many arguments against it as for it. 

So the TL;DR here is CD and vinyl use different masters.  Vinyl ends up being much "quieter" and usually contains more of the lower frequencies of the recording. 

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »
Wow, some real experts here, both very interesting! Thanks guys. I'm no expert but I know what  like the sound of.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
Very nice explanation, John. Thank you!

I know this had been discussed before, but now that there are some experts in the room, how do you guys feel about the production quality of High Rise and S/T versus the Brendan-produced releases?