September 30, 2024, 03:28:36 PM

Author Topic: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews  (Read 31011 times)

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2013, 01:39:37 AM »

The only facts we do know is that STPw/CB is mediocre

That's not a fact.

and its commercial viability is on life support weeks after the release of its only original material.

In the past few months, they've released an EP, had two songs on the radio, played Leno, and while we're talking about commercial viability, we all know that touring is how bands really make money nowadays... they've already finished one leg of a US tour, just got back from Japan, and according to their web site, they have 14 more dates lined up through March, including Australia. Saying they're on "life support" is just silly.

So Im confused why we continue to talk about stuff we have little to no idea about like Scott's current sobriety

I don't know if Scott's sober right now. I hope he is. But I doubt it. He has been very open about his drinking the past few years and hasn't given any indication that he's sobered up.
The EP is a disappointment both commercially and artistically.  Is this not a fact?  I thought I was being kind by calling it mediocre.  STP can continue to churn out karaoke nostalgia if that's what you want.  But, gulp, I'm agreeing w/ STBrett above that STPw/CB is not a commercially viable entity.  They have zero momentum right now after only a couple of weeks from the release.  The cycle already feels dead.  It feels eerily similar to the AOA cycle.  The difference is there's no Scott to fall back on anymore.  Sigh....           

No it's not a fucking fact.  A fact is something that is objectively true.  Your views on the EP and STP's situation are subjective, therefore they are not facts but OPINIONS!  For an EP with a new singer, I'd say it did about as well as you'd expect. Based on the fact that much more than 50% of people who voted on this board "love" the EP, I would say you clearly can't say it is objectively an artistic failure.  People seem to like it. It's not like they were selling out arenas or even close when Scott was fronting the band, so they haven't really lost momentum.  I get that you're really unfuckinghappy about where things are in STP's camp, but by god, learn what a fact is
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2013, 05:24:04 AM »
The EP is a disappointment both commercially and artistically.  Is this not a fact?

No. It's not a fact. It's your opinion, and I don't agree with it.

Btw, Brett didn't say CheSTP isn't a commercially viable entity; he said they won't bring in new fans by releasing more EPs and that they need to release an album. That I agree with.

My theory: once the lawsuits are settled, we're going to see the seventh full-length album by Stone Temple Pilots (no more "with Chester Bennington").

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2013, 07:36:16 AM »
You guys are getting trolled by a hateful asshole with a lot of practice.  Ignore what he says so he can go shit-up some other forums somewhere.  I'm sure it's his shtick. 

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »
Oh John, your constant replies to my posts are flattering.  I just love the attention you consistently give to me.  Your POV is so enlightening, I'm sure you're the highlite of every party.

STP1992

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2013, 03:38:59 AM »
Heres my 2 cents on the E.P. and the Fake STP thing.....

1. STP is dead.
2. They should not be allowed to use the STP name... CHANGE IT!
3. Chester is trying way too hard to sound like Scott in the last 2 songs.  He has the 60s/blues voice which is definitely not a Chesterism.
4. As much as I hate to admit it (I mean REALLY hate to admit it) I love Out Of Time and Black Heart. 

This wouldnt bother me as much if they changed their name. I mean w/out Scott theyre just a STP cover band.

So to sum it up I didnt vote.  I dont hate it, but I dont love it either. :-\   

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2013, 04:59:56 AM »
This EP is extremely forgettable. I've had zero desire to listen to any of these songs in a few weeks now.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
I gave it a spin for the first time in a few weeks and I still enjoy it. It's a teaser though and really makes me eager to hear a whole album.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »
I still like the album, and like RhettButler said, I find it to really be a tease because it's only 5 songs and while I like all 5 songs, they all seem rushed and should be longer and more developed (ESPECIALLY Tomorrow). I've also just been into a lot of other new music lately, mainly Pearl Jam's Lightning Bolt, which has put High Rise on the musical back burner for me
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »
Black Hearts my fave tune on t/EP, but Same on the inside is close as well.  Cry Cry is the song i listen least to
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »
I just picked it up on vinyl!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
http://seattlemusicinsider.com/2013/11/08/new-music-preview-stone-temple-pilots-chester-bennington-high-rise-ep/

Pretty spot on review but that photoshopped pic of Chester in Scotts plsce, from the S/T promo shots, is hilarious
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »
bahaha that is an epically bad PS pic. lol

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
I freakin' love this EP! Jammin to it right now loud as F...k!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2013, 10:38:04 PM »
http://seattlemusicinsider.com/2013/11/08/new-music-preview-stone-temple-pilots-chester-bennington-high-rise-ep/

Pretty spot on review but that photoshopped pic of Chester in Scotts plsce, from the S/T promo shots, is hilarious

You know I think maybe Stonetemplebrett did that originally. It's been all over the place. I even saw someone go apeshit over it because Chester was dressing "just like Scott Weiland".  :o

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2013, 11:32:20 PM »
Brutal pic., lol .. I dont get the OOT riff being Soungarden esque, fellas music taste apparently doesnt get out of Seattle