September 30, 2024, 03:16:20 PM

Author Topic: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews  (Read 31009 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
"High Rise" Poll & Reviews
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:30:48 AM »
What do you think of "High Rise"? Give us your vote. Just two radical options - "love" and "hate".
I know there's a lot of different opinions with a specific nuances, but pick the one you are closer to or don't vote at all.
Also, post your review. There's no need of creating a new thread for every opinion.

[Poll is visible for registered users only]

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:50:55 AM by Tyrant »
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "High Rise" Poll & Reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:32:47 AM »
It makes me miss Talk Show. And those that have known me here for years know that's really saying something because I hated Talk Show.

DeadandTrippin92

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:54:47 AM »
It made me miss music.

Chester gets the thumbs down.

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:03:03 AM »
Painfully generic, karaoke vocals, and incredibly bland song writing.
Me no likey.

Robert DeNiro

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 07:04:58 AM »
Sounded just like I thought it would.

Hate it.

NoWayOut87

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 07:08:13 AM »

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
Its ok. I like it better than the self titled record. Not better than AOA imo though.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 08:19:35 AM »

It's exactly what I thought it would be... AoA done right.  The songs are simple, very commercial sounding, almost generic rock. With that said, I like a few of them b/c I like rock. 

In no way is this STP, and this cements it.  Even if they did the right thing and started a NEW BAND, this would be a little underwhelming.... but I'd be way more supportive of it in that case.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

DadaelusJones

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
I was a little nervous after Out of Time and Black Heart dropped but after hearing the whole shebang, I can dig it; mostly due to Tomorrow and Same on the Inside. Loving the guitar solo on Cry Cry (pretty decent song in and of itself). Someone mentioned in another thread how much better Chester's voice 'fits' versus Richard Patrick and I feel that (although I love me some AoA). Mostly I'm just glad that we didn't get another Huckleberry Crumble...

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
I'll copy and paste my review from another thread:

Tomorrow is by far the best song.  Same On The Inside is good.  The other 3 songs are very generic and probably wouldn't have made the cut on any other STP album.  I should put a disclaimer in here that I also love the Talk Show and AOA albums, so it's not like I'm biased and going to be negative about anything the members of STP do without Scott Weiland.  But in my opinion: Out Of Time, Black Heart, and Cry Cry are the worst songs STP have ever recorded.  Therefore, I have to say "I hate it" instead of "I love it", even though my reaction is actually "meh".
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
It's not a masterpiece--but it's very good. My only complaint is that it feels like a bit of a tease--I wish that it was an actual album.

In the EPs/songs/albums that follow, I'd like STP to challenge us a little more, but the EP is doing what it needs to be doing, establishing the new lineup with a meat-and-potato collection of catchy songs.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
Since we're keeping this really blunt I had to go with hate it.

Hope it grows on me and will definitely replay it some more, but as of right now not digging it
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
I'd say that empirically it's a good album - the song construction and melodies progress in a radio friendly way as someone mentioned above. We all knew the DeLeo's and Kretz would sound like STP, but Chester does compliment the band (Cmon, people Cry, Cry and Out of Time clearly, clearly take a page from the Weiland style of songwriting, and I don't know that a tune like Tomorrow would've been written otherwise and it still sounds like an STP track).

I really didn't like Talk Show and have trouble going back to it, I wanted to like Army of Anyone very badly (and some of it I did) but that grouping didn't naturally compliment each other well. This on the other hand has legs I think.

And to clarify for anyone here who is doing this - and you know who you are (even if I don't, but I know you are out there) - it doesn't make you a better fan to dislike the album as a positioning strategy.  I'm not saying that all of the negative posting above is from people doing that - if you legitimately don't like the album then no problem, but anything else is nonsense.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
I haven't even heard the rest of the EP, Black Heart and Out Of Time excluded. I'm just waiting for it to actually drop.

InterstatePlushSong

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 06:10:32 AM »
Very underwhelming. Chester brings nothing new to the table, just tries to clone Scott the entire time