October 02, 2024, 01:34:32 PM

Author Topic: "STP" went from fine dining to fast food... (*rant*)  (Read 4622 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
"STP" went from fine dining to fast food... (*rant*)
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »
After months of rumors, live shows, interviews, and finally the EP; this is how I see it...  STP went from fine dining, to fast food.

Don't get me wrong, I like a little fast food once in a while.  A quick burger, some fries, or a druve-thru shake on a road trip.  Following the band since 1993, it was never easy, between critics, Scott's drug problems, and shitty band management; all I had was a new album every two years, a few concerts, and maybe a bootleg (if I was lucky).  But as great as the live shows were, it was all about the music, the albums!  The albums were complete, they had everything you could ask for from a band musically.  Each one showed growth, range, and an evolution with the times... but most importantly, they did it in their own unique way without catering to trends.  The albums were like a five course meal, touching upon everything & anything you could ask for from a meal.

Now as much as I like Chester, and as much as I disagree with "the band" moving on as "STP", I still want to hear the music.  I'll always be open to new music, especially from musicians that I've been a fan of and followed for twenty years... but the quality isn't even close to the music STP put out.  Not saying that it's bad at all, but it's certainly lacking something.  I know everyone will start bringing up S/T, but in my opinion, if that's their lowest point, it's still more uniquely STP, and has greater depth than the music I've heard so far on this EP.  It's not even about the length, it's more about how in some ways feels like a rush job, trying to cater to too many people while "pretending" to be the same band.  With that said, I like a few songs on the EP, but it's the same way I'd like a fast food burger once in a while...

Stone Temple Pilots was one of the best "restaurants" in the country, with Michelin stars, and serving $150+ five course dinners... but now they decided to franchise themselves out into a lesser fast food chain with $6 meal combos.  There is just too much lost in the transition to even consider them the same restaurant anymore.

*EDIT: I'm trying to avoid the old "which band members deserve the right to be STP" argument.  This is more of a quality control rant.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:47:59 AM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: "STP" went from fine dining to fast food... (*rant*)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »
I agree with this to an extent. Regardless of who is singing for the band, the last two efforts (S/T and High Rise) lack the progression of the 1992-2002 stuff IMO. Personally, I enjoyed S/T, but it never truly felt like STP to me. I hate to be that guy that points to the old, popular stuff, but I feel like the band's been missing those special songs like "Interstate Love Song" or "Sour Girl" since they reunited. Even SLDD had the "vintage" STP sound whereas I don't feel it on the newer stuff. I'll probably check out whatever they put out, though I don't feel the old excitement anymore.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:01:19 PM »
I agree with u guys. I just gave the EP a listen last night something is just lacking. im not really excited anymore which is sad to say. I wish I could hear what scott would write over these riffs. Tomorrow kinda sounds like regeneration guitar wise but overall im not impressed with the music. Self titled was one of my favs from stp believe it or not. At least that album had emotion and depth to it. to me it still very much sounded like stp compared to this EP. it makes me more sad that well probably never hear anything off self titled live again except MAYBE take a load off. I cant picture chester singing Hickory or Huckleberry anyway. you gotta have scotts voice for those songs. even Pops love suicide that's a scott song, I just cant see chesters voice on any of those.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:12:33 AM »
Again, I like Chester...

Even with that, it's like he has 2 voices, where Scott has 6+ (if that makes any sense).  His voice is good, but he doesn't have a fraction of the range Scott has, so when it comes to STP's library, he's limited.  I realize his writing won't be as deep or symbolic as Scott's, but it's unique in it's own way, which fits these more pop'ish songs... which is just one more reason they should have started a new band!

Every song has this medium-fast tempo, all recorded the same, just very commercial feeling.  S/T had a lot of that too (Thanks DeLeo's!  >:( ), but it still had slower songs, and was more well rounded.  I know this is a EP, NOT an album, but the direction their going seems to be more about marketability than the music.

It's just a shame that this CLEARLY isn't STP, yet they're trying to pretend they're "STP". 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

maro

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • all in the pajama that you wear
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »
I feel the new songs as fast food, too.
I don't know my feeling is same as STEAK's
but just I think that

DeLeos want to write good-selling musics.
(of course it is good and important thing. The work not required to anyone is just masturbation.)
But they do not write easy, casual, general pop musics
because they have unique pop sense and self-assertiveness.
Even if the easy listeners do not prefer guitar solo part, he will not give up his solo.
Even if the casual rock fans do not regard bass line as important, he will not give up his exquisite bass.
Such their character sweetly disturb the balance of general pop music.

Scott also wants good-selling songs.
And he has also unique pop sense and strong self-assertiveness.
His songs are beautiful, pop and friendly but also acute, suspicious, solitary and...
I don't know the exactly word to explain.
His eccentric attraction derail general pop songs.

Both they want popular songs, and have superb unique sense and personalities.
That causes special chemistry. That makes STP special.

Chester is a good musician, great singer.
But his songs are directly and plainly. not eccentric.
(of course it is not bad thing.)
He pull DeLeos' music to more general pop side,
so that their music become too pop and maybe I feel something missing.

Sorry for my awful English... but I want to say.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:49:46 AM by maro »