September 25, 2024, 04:18:58 PM

Author Topic: Opinion on the state of STP  (Read 11806 times)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on the state of STP
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
If you want a clue has to how deluded Scott is, take for example his declaring that he was reuniting with Velvet Revolver when no one had any clue what he was talking about.
At that time, he also famously claimed he was already writing with VR.

With regard to his current situation, back in February of this year, he told Rolling Stone: “We're working on a rock & roll record. Over the last month we've recorded close to 30 songs. It's really lean and raw, sort of like garage rock.”

Scott's earlier claims about writing with VR lead me to believe his statements about having recorded 30 songs with the Whirligigs are complete and utter bullshit.

I think there was a subtle dig in the new Dean interview at the "plans" Scott used to talk about in the media and then they never happened: "I don’t think any of us are really the type of people to want to make these grandiose plans, “Now we’re going to do this” and it never sees the light of day. I fucking hate that, I absolutely hate that, I want to be able to back up what I say I’m going to do."
To be fair to Scott, when you're the guy constantly doing the talking for the band, sometimes you just say things. That said, you don't just make shit up out of thin air.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
Scott's earlier claims about writing with VR lead me to believe his statements about having recorded 30 songs with the Whirligigs are complete and utter bullshit.

Good point. If Scott and the Workarounds had 30 new songs recorded, why haven't they played even ONE at any shows this year?

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 12:46:08 AM »

Good point. If Scott and the Workarounds had 30 new songs recorded, why haven't they played even ONE at any shows this year?
1. The Wankabouts aren't able to play their material live because they just suck that much
2 (much more likely) . Weiland was lying about having 30 songs, most likely not even having one
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 01:01:03 AM »
simply put....drugs are bad. :(

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 01:10:44 AM »
STP w/ chester are leaning heavily on catalog, one of my major beefs with them right now. 
They've been a band for like 6 months and have already released a 5-song EP.  Sorry, but thats pretty damn fast no matter what your metric is.

Does Scott have the right to play under the STP banner?
I never said anything about Scott playing under the STP banner on his own. 

I've seen Scott solo a handful of times over the years and I never thought he was taking it very seriously, he's out there fucking around having a good time. 
Scott is not taking ANYTHING seriously, thats the core problem.  Not the two huge bands he was in, not his voice, not his raw talent, not his health.  Scotts refusal to take anything seriously since 2006/7 is the reason he's in the situation he's in and why we're having this debate in the first place as fans.  If Scott wised up and took his career and his fans seriously, we'd still have the original lineup STP today and probably Velvet Revolver too.

So you're pointing to a mediocre 5 song EP that they're not heavily touring vs. the STP catalog? 
My point is I'd be critical of Scott if he decided to tour under STP w/out the other three because he wasn't getting along with him.  Scott could've done the exact same thing.  Doesn't make it right, regardless of the reasons. 
Scott has written a ton of music, toured, written a book, ect in the last decade.  I'm not too sure how much more serious you want him to be.  He's taken some risks, ie xmas album, but to say he hasn't taken care of himself or hasn't cared is silly.  I just saw him at a show a month ago and the guy was as good as I've seen both vocally and in mind n spirit.  So I call BS on that since I saw it with my own eyes and ears.  From my POV, people put way too much into 30 sec clips of a show they're watching online.......... 

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 01:13:29 AM »
If you want a clue has to how deluded Scott is, take for example his declaring that he was reuniting with Velvet Revolver when no one had any clue what he was talking about. I don't know if he is so cocky that he thought just saying it would make it so or if he was so fucked up that he imagined a conversation that didn't happen, but either way he is delusional.

He probably has absolutely no idea how silly or bad things are. Meanwhile, STP has put out an EP and it is actually kind of good.
I'd put real money on the table that Scott had a conversation or two w/ Kushner or Sorum, or Duff about writing music or even exchanged some music ideas.  They did play the one off show together.  He probably embellished in the interview and it came back to bite him.  I find it hard to believe he just pulled it out of his ass.  But that's my opinion.........

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 01:14:28 AM »

For the same reason we haven't heard the EP w/ STP w/ Chester at shows, gotta wait till it's released.....

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 02:43:53 AM »
If you want a clue has to how deluded Scott is, take for example his declaring that he was reuniting with Velvet Revolver when no one had any clue what he was talking about. I don't know if he is so cocky that he thought just saying it would make it so or if he was so fucked up that he imagined a conversation that didn't happen, but either way he is delusional.

He probably has absolutely no idea how silly or bad things are. Meanwhile, STP has put out an EP and it is actually kind of good.
I'd put real money on the table that Scott had a conversation or two w/ Kushner or Sorum, or Duff about writing music or even exchanged some music ideas.  They did play the one off show together.  He probably embellished in the interview and it came back to bite him.  I find it hard to believe he just pulled it out of his ass.  But that's my opinion.........

I've seen VR 3 times--once before or around the time Contraband was released, the other later on the tour, and the reunion show. Huge change in on stage chemistry and band interaction. It was clear this was a favor.

Here's what I think happened. I think, like Jason Segel did with the Muppets, that he just put it out there to sort of get the idea circulating and put pressure on the other guys. When Segel announced he was doing the Muppets, he wasn't. He did it for the reasons described above. But his gamble paid off. Scott's didn't.

But that's the sad thing--he can only get guys no one's heard of to play with him. Most people get lucky and have one successful band. Lightning struck twice with him, and now neither entity wants anything to do with him. He had to try and force the issue and go public, but the delude part is that he actually thought it would work.

I love Scott. He has been a big inspiration for me. But I'm embarrassed to show people videos or play his last album (Christmas) or play bootlegs. He's messed up. He's fallen off the stage, fallen into the drum riser, forgotten words, shown up late, shown up inebriated. He's had good shows too, I will give you that. But he's drunk ON the Christmas album! He has lots of bad shows. It's not professional, and it's not fair to the other 3 guys.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 02:48:06 AM »

For the same reason we haven't heard the EP w/ STP w/ Chester at shows, gotta wait till it's released.....

I don't buy that, man. I've been reading your posts, and it just seems like you will say anything to come to the defense of Weiland, regardless of whether it makes any common sense or not.

I'm admittedly pro-CheSTP, but I will at least concede some things when I honestly feel they're wrong -- for example, I've said before I really dig High Rise and think the tunes are great, but they don't feel completely like STP to me, and it kinda rubs me the wrong way that they're calling this an STP release.

However, I don't think you've conceded anything that goes against Weiland's decisions or behavior. Maybe I missed something, but it seems like you've come to his defense every time. Kinda like your mind has already been made up for you by your bias towards Scott before you even start typing.

Personally, I like to consider all possibilities, but I tend to believe the ones that are simpler and more logical. So which possibility falls into that category in this situation?

• That Scott and the Wildabouts have had 30 new songs recorded since February but have chosen not to play ANY of them live because none have been released yet and they're worried about YouTube recordings of the live performances affecting future record sales?
  • Or that Scott was lying.

Bands play songs live before they release them, even to radio. They play them when they're rehearsing them and want to get a feel for playing them live and to gauge crowd reaction.
And this applies especially to Scott, because he's stated numerous times before that his solo music is the music of his soul and he doesn't care whether it sells copies or not. I find it really hard to believe they've been sitting on 30 songs for the better part of a year and haven't even taken one out for a spin at a show.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:09:52 AM by EyesOfDisarray »

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 03:43:54 AM »

I don't buy that, man. I've been reading your posts, and it just seems like you will say anything to come to the defense of Weiland, regardless of whether it makes any common sense or not.

I'm admittedly pro-CheSTP, but I will at least concede some things when I honestly feel they're wrong -- for example, I've said before I really dig High Rise and think the tunes are great, but they don't feel completely like STP to me, and it kinda rubs me the wrong way that they're calling this an STP release.

However, I don't think you've conceded anything that goes against Weiland's decisions or behavior. Maybe I missed something, but it seems like you've come to his defense every time. Kinda like your mind has already been made up for you by your bias towards Scott before you even start typing.

Personally, I like to consider all possibilities, but I tend to believe the ones that are simpler and more logical. So which possibility falls into that category in this situation?

• That Scott and the Wildabouts have had 30 new songs recorded since February but have chosen not to play ANY of them live because none have been released yet and they're worried about YouTube recordings of the live performances affecting future record sales?

Bands play songs live before they release them, even to radio. They play them when they're rehearsing them and want to get a feel for playing them live and to gauge crowd reaction.
And this applies especially to Scott, because he's stated numerous times before that his solo music is the music of his soul and he doesn't care whether it sells copies or not. I find it really hard to believe they've been sitting on 30 songs for the better part of a year and haven't even taken one out for a spin at a show.

He has 30 ideas for songs. It's not whatcha I'd, but that's probably the truth.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 04:00:44 AM »

I'd believe he has 30 song ideas, but then you don't go telling Rolling Stone you have 30 new songs recorded. And not play even one on your tour. That's exactly the kind of shady behavior that's gotten him into trouble the past few years, and it's why no one with any artistic credibility wants to work with him right now.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 05:06:41 AM »

I've seen VR 3 times--once before or around the time Contraband was released, the other later on the tour, and the reunion show. Huge change in on stage chemistry and band interaction. It was clear this was a favor.

Here's what I think happened. I think, like Jason Segel did with the Muppets, that he just put it out there to sort of get the idea circulating and put pressure on the other guys. When Segel announced he was doing the Muppets, he wasn't. He did it for the reasons described above. But his gamble paid off. Scott's didn't.

But that's the sad thing--he can only get guys no one's heard of to play with him. Most people get lucky and have one successful band. Lightning struck twice with him, and now neither entity wants anything to do with him. He had to try and force the issue and go public, but the delude part is that he actually thought it would work.

I love Scott. He has been a big inspiration for me. But I'm embarrassed to show people videos or play his last album (Christmas) or play bootlegs. He's messed up. He's fallen off the stage, fallen into the drum riser, forgotten words, shown up late, shown up inebriated. He's had good shows too, I will give you that. But he's drunk ON the Christmas album! He has lots of bad shows. It's not professional, and it's not fair to the other 3 guys.

Possible.  I've just never heard Scott be that manipulative.  He was obviously pushing to go that direction, but he clearly missed the mark. 

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 05:26:35 AM »

I recall when STP would be writing for an album they would say they had 30-40 songs but only 10-12 would ever see the light of day and they have practically zero unreleased material .  I recall the guitarist for the band said recently they have songs.  Is it 30, I dunno.   It wouldn't surprise me if Scott did have 30 songs, song ideas, riffs or whatever could be construed as music banked somewhere.  The guy did push out double album recently.   

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 05:28:49 AM »

I'd believe he has 30 song ideas, but then you don't go telling Rolling Stone you have 30 new songs recorded. And not play even one on your tour. That's exactly the kind of shady behavior that's gotten him into trouble the past few years, and it's why no one with any artistic credibility wants to work with him right now.

He definitely has some work to do to build/re build some relationships.   It'll take some time.....

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:19 AM »
If you want a clue has to how deluded Scott is, take for example his declaring that he was reuniting with Velvet Revolver when no one had any clue what he was talking about.
At that time, he also famously claimed he was already writing with VR.

With regard to his current situation, back in February of this year, he told Rolling Stone: “We're working on a rock & roll record. Over the last month we've recorded close to 30 songs. It's really lean and raw, sort of like garage rock.”

+1 for the Whirligigs, made me crack up at work.

Just to inject my two cents, STP w/ Chester is about as good as STP w/ Kenny G would be.
Back for another one