September 25, 2024, 06:21:00 PM

Author Topic: Opinion on the state of STP  (Read 11832 times)

iamthewscott

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Opinion on the state of STP
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:51:49 AM »
I've been lurking on this board forever and I've chimed in from time to time, but never been very active in the topics on here but I have to speak out on how I feel about the current state of things.

I don't like it at all.

First of all, I respect and understand the DeLeos and Eric's decision to move on without Weiland.  By all accounts he has lost his gifts to a great extent and to be completely honest he hasn't been able to perform these songs very well for quite some time although his immense talent allowed him to compensate admirably.  He has constantly and consistently derailed their careers.

In 1992, at the age of 12, I was handed a pair of earphones by a friend of mine and the first sounds I heard were, "I am smelling like a rose...." I was hooked.  From that day on Stone Temple Pilots were my favorite band and I wanted to be a rock star.  STP are the reason I auditioned for my first band, and when I f**king owned 'Plush' for my audition, STP were the reason I landed my first gig as a front man.  When that fell apart and I went away to school and moved away, STP were the reason I gave it another try when I read an ad for a guitarist seeking a vocalist and songwriting partner with an STP influence.

Plain and simple Chester Bennington is not the person for this.  My trained ears cannot stand the sound of it.  He has to TRY to emulate Scott's voice and it doesn't come off as natural at all... Its NOT about sounding just like Scott it is about singing the songs and sounding natural doing it.

I sound better singing these songs and if I do I KNOW they could find someone in all of Southern California who can...

Sorry to rant and I don't know you guys but I had to get that off of my chest to people who I know care about this band as much as I do... I've been listening to a lot of STP lately kind of like you look at pictures of relatives lost long ago...

FirstSexTypeThingOnMars

Re: Opinion on the state of STP
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »
That's how everyone feels. Chester was a horrible choice.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:44:53 AM »
That's how everyone feels. Chester was a horrible choice.

Everyone? Really? How did you come to this conclusion?

DeadandTrippin92

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:36 AM »
No problem IamtheWScott that's why this site exists in the first place so fans like you can express your own personal opinons on the band.

Most STP fans don't like Chester either and the few that do won't after they hear the new EP

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 02:11:25 AM »
Most STP fans don't like Chester

How do you know?

DeadandTrippin92

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:25 AM »

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 04:04:17 AM »
Basic observation
At some point the hate crowd is going to have to realize that whining on forums and writing bad reviews wherever they can isn't going to change anything. 

You know the tens-of-thousands of bands that write music that you don't like or listen to and how you don't troll their forums every fucking day?  Yeah.  Make it just like that here. 

The band isn't suddenly going to change when it reads a few angry reviews on the Below Empty forums. 

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:09:51 AM »
Basic observation
At some point the hate crowd is going to have to realize that whining on forums and writing bad reviews wherever they can isn't going to change anything. 

You know the tens-of-thousands of bands that write music that you don't like or listen to and how you don't troll their forums every fucking day?  Yeah.  Make it just like that here. 

The band isn't suddenly going to change when it reads a few angry reviews on the Below Empty forums.

Yeah, just look at Nickelback. They get a ton of shit even from other musicians and they don't give a fuck.

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 05:18:18 AM »
Basic observation

Yeah, just look at Nickelback. They get a ton of shit even from other musicians and they don't give a fuck.
Please for the love of god do not compare our beloved STP to Nickelback
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 05:22:38 AM »
Basic observation

LOL. Yeah, I know, I cringed too. But you understand what I'm saying, right?

DeadandTrippin92

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 05:27:16 AM »
Basic observation

She wasn't comparing our beloved STP to Nickelback. She was comparing Ches-TP.
Chester Bennington and Chad Kroger are definitely on the same wave length.

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 05:38:02 AM »
Basic observation

LOL. Yeah, I know, I cringed too. But you understand what I'm saying, right?

Of course I do :P

I just had to say it.
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 05:39:03 AM »
Basic observation

Chad Kroger jammed with Jerry Cantrell, the guy can't be that bad.

August 19th 2012

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »
Basic observation

Chad Kroger jammed with Jerry Cantrell, the guy can't be that bad.

Any form of a complimentary comment about Chad Kroger is absolutely forbidden on this forum and will result in a minimal 10 smites and your tires being slashed by Tyrant.
We will give you a warning this time.

iamthewscott

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:38 AM »
John, it's not hating man... I don't hate Chester... I'm pretty sure he's a decent person with good intentions. I'm not spewing Chester hate, I'm just stating a fact.  You're good on a track, send me an instrumental for Meatplow or Heaven and Hot rods and I will show you what I mean... Music isn't about hitting notes its about an emotion and a feeling... The lyrics on this ep BTW are trite and cliche riddled anyway