October 03, 2024, 12:18:00 AM

Author Topic: Perhaps we're not giving Chester a fair chance  (Read 7165 times)

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
Perhaps we're not giving Chester a fair chance
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
In all honesty, I've realized my clapping argument was really out there. I think I subconsciously look for ways to insult the new lineup, even though I think Chester is doing an admirable job filling Weiland's shoes. I listened to Down on YouTube from the Columbia, SC gig and Chester has really made that song into something much more different. I don't think he tries to sound like Weiland at all on that tune and I hope he continues to put his spin on the other tunes as well. Black Heart is a good tune, but he definitely tries to sound like Scott Weiland on that tune. I thought this whole thing was about evolving as a band and if Chester continues to take that approach, I'll be disappointed in him. I know I've defended him before and insulted him many times too, but that's because somedays it just pisses me off that Weiland is no longer with STP. I though I was over it, but clearly I'm not. I can live with STP making new music with Chester. I've fully come to terms with that aspect, however, I can't live with Scott Weiland wasting his talent with the Wildabouts. When I get upset about Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, I take it out on Chester and the new group. I also noticed they changed the setlist a little bit and it is now up to 19 songs. That's good! Hopefully they will continue to change it and add a few more songs to get it up to 22 or so, but I doubt it.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps we're not giving Chester a fair chance
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
In all honesty, I've realized my clapping argument was really out there. I think I subconsciously look for ways to insult the new lineup, even though I think Chester is doing an admirable job filling Weiland's shoes. I listened to Down on YouTube from the Columbia, SC gig and Chester has really made that song into something much more different. I don't think he tries to sound like Weiland at all on that tune and I hope he continues to put his spin on the other tunes as well. Black Heart is a good tune, but he definitely tries to sound like Scott Weiland on that tune. I thought this whole thing was about evolving as a band and if Chester continues to take that approach, I'll be disappointed in him. I know I've defended him before and insulted him many times too, but that's because somedays it just pisses me off that Weiland is no longer with STP. I though I was over it, but clearly I'm not. I can live with STP making new music with Chester. I've fully come to terms with that aspect, however, I can't live with Scott Weiland wasting his talent with the Wildabouts. When I get upset about Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, I take it out on Chester and the new group. I also noticed they changed the setlist a little bit and it is now up to 19 songs. That's good! Hopefully they will continue to change it and add a few more songs to get it up to 22 or so, but I doubt it.

I'm really hoping for new Weiland in the next few months. There's nothing like a solid rock tune with him singing, but can the Willypops pull off something that equals Scott's potential? that's what worries me about that setup.

I have to admit that, at times, I do hear Chester sounding like Scott. I have never thought he sounded like Scott, at all, before he joined the band. So, he simply must be putting that effort in to sound like SW.

I don't think Chester & STP have found their groove together, yet. We may not hear a signature STP With Chester sound for a little while. Maybe not until they can have time to work on a full album. If this EP is what they sound like when they are rushing to toss something out for fans, I would think a full album will sound amazing after spending more time, and not rushing through it.

Also, I'd like to hear Army Ants live with Chester at some point. I decided that yesterday when I was listening to that tune on my iPod.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:45:37 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:19:42 PM »
People are definitely giving Chester a bit too hard of a time. But that's just the job he took... He's in a position where he's just gonna take a bunch of shit for a while... Probably for the rest of his life. I mean, people still bitch about Richard Patrick playing with the DeLeos in Army of Anyone, so of course Chester's gonna take shit for being in STP.

As far as sounding like Scott, Chester's got a hell of a line to toe here. If he sounds too much like Scott, then people will call him a rip-off artists. On the other hand, if he sounds nothing like Scott, people will just bitch that his voice doesn't "suit" STP. He's got to strike a balance, and IMO he's done that quite well. Black Heart appears to be the only new song where he attempts to sound like Scott, while the others appear to be him doing is own thing with just his natural influence from Scott.

Re: Army Ants: I'm excited to hear Chester sing anything off of Purple. He's nailed everything off that album so far. I'm anxious to hear his recent Meatplow performances, and I'd like to see him take a whack at the remaining 5 songs he hasn't done off that album. Particularly Lounge Fly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:11:14 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »
now were getting somewhere!!!
they say that anger is one of the stages of dying. and unfortunately we all gotta go through it..... some of us are still going through it. cause the original line-up of our favorite band, stp is currently dead! I echo your sentiments regarding the Wildebeests. I don't think they match up with scott's talents. but it is what it is. I too am looking forward to some new scott stuff. hopefully he'll clean up and put out some great stuff!

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 11:46:52 PM »
The fact that you can admit that, I can respect that. Not that I have a problem with people having a different opinion on the situation, it's the fact that some here have been extremely arrogant and narrow minded about it that disappoints me. Not to say you have. Personally, I've been a supporter of Chester being in the band from the get go and I've defended him, etc, etc. I think he sounds great with the band, both live and in studio, I like that he's added a couple personal touches to a couple tracks and things. I've understood it all since it happened, but I think the situation really set in for me when I watched a performance of "Dead & Bloated" and later on, "Down", because I saw what was happening and what we were working with and I really enjoyed it. In the performance of D&B, Chester did this trademark scream mid song, and something about it's placement and just the way he did it sent chills down my back. It just totally changed the emotion behind the song I think and it was really hard hitting. Then later on, I watched him perform Down, a personal favorite of mine. He absolutely knocked it out of the park in my opinion. Also, I'm 100% positive setlists will change for the better as time goes on, I just think it's relative to where the band will be in a matter of time. It is eventual.

Chester is gonna take heat, but at the same time, people are acting like some kind of lowly commoner is singing for STP now and that's definitely not the case lol. The band is proud to have Chester, Chester is proud to be w/ the band, Chester is doing a pretty damn solid job and that's all that matters in my opinion. Idk. It's interesting to hear everyone's side, it definitely is what it is

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:32:37 AM »
To be honest, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this four months later, and I'm a Linkin Park fan. It's just crazy to see this happening. Part of it feels like it was "always going to happen" but another part is like "wow, how unexpected is this?!"

I have always felt Chester should sing music like STP (as I felt LP held him back range wise) but I never would've thought in a million years that Chester would take over for Scott. It's still as much of a shock now as it was back then. Feels kinda surreal.

So being a long time fan of Chester, and having met him 3 times...I appreciate some STP fans giving him a fair chance. I know it's tough accepting anybody other than Scott in the role, but I have a good feeling about what these guys can do together and I look forward to the eventual full length album (hopefully we don't have to wait over a year to get it).

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »
To be honest, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this four months later, and I'm a Linkin Park fan. It's just crazy to see this happening. Part of it feels like it was "always going to happen" but another part is like "wow, how unexpected is this?!"

I have always felt Chester should sing music like STP (as I felt LP held him back range wise) but I never would've thought in a million years that Chester would take over for Scott. It's still as much of a shock now as it was back then. Feels kinda surreal.

As a longtime STP fan, I feel the same... for the most part.

I liked a few LP songs back in the day, but after going to the Family Values Tour in 01', seeing LP live, and Chester singing with Scott, I had a new found respect for him (that recording of 'Wonderful' is amazing).  Listening to his solo stuff, and other collaborations, I felt like he'd be much better suited in a rock band.  Playing WITH STP sounded awesome, but playing "AS" STP is just something I can't get past.  So, to me, it's not about Chester at all, he's grown on me over the years, and seems like a perfect fit with these guys.  I just hate everything else about the situation.

I actually think Chester would have benefited more if they started a new band, and weren't constrained to STP's style.  By staying "STP" they're kinda limiting themselves to an already established style of music from the band, where if they started with a clean slate, they'd be free to do more (and Chester probably wouldn't be trying to write/sing like Scott).

Kinda like the thing with VR.  I think Chester's voice & abilities would have been better suited with their heavier rock sound.  But either way, he's versatile enough to be a great match for both.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:01:26 AM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
Part of me thinks that they're only playing it safe right now and sounding slightly like their older sound on their new songs, so that it can be olive branch to the fanbase. They (Chester especially) know right off the bat that this 'change' is going to upset a lot of people and be very hard for others to swallow, so Chester isn't trying to reinvent the old songs too much live or 'go too crazy' on High Rise cause he wants the fans to grow comfortable with the change first. They want fans to come around to Chester (like they slowly are doing now) before they really reinvent the wheel. High Rise (from what we've heard on the 90 second clips) still has a lot of new things for the band, but it also has that "familiar feeling" which I'm betting is deliberate.

The band confirmed in a recent video chat that another EP is coming after this, and they jokingly said that fans could play High Rise and EP2 back to back for a "full length" album.

I'm betting the next EP will sound nothing like High Rise. Right now they're like a friend you haven't seen in 10 years. You know it's that old friend, but the friend has changed in those 10 years and looks different so you have to play catch up.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »
Part of me thinks that they're only playing it safe right now and sounding slightly like their older sound on their new songs, so that it can be olive branch to the fanbase. They (Chester especially) know right off the bat that this 'change' is going to upset a lot of people and be very hard for others to swallow, so Chester isn't trying to reinvent the old songs too much live or 'go too crazy' on High Rise cause he wants the fans to grow comfortable with the change first. They want fans to come around to Chester (like they slowly are doing now) before they really reinvent the wheel. High Rise (from what we've heard on the 90 second clips) still has a lot of new things for the band, but it also has that "familiar feeling" which I'm betting is deliberate.

The band confirmed in a recent video chat that another EP is coming after this, and they jokingly said that fans could play High Rise and EP2 back to back for a "full length" album.

I'm betting the next EP will sound nothing like High Rise. Right now they're like a friend you haven't seen in 10 years. You know it's that old friend, but the friend has changed in those 10 years and looks different so you have to play catch up.

While I agreed with your first post, this one kinda lost me a bit. 

Whenever the Deleo's played without Scott, they still played very "STPcentric" music.  I tend to think this "playing it safe" is more of a marketing gimmick to keep STP fans (the Chester fans will follow out of curiosity regardless).  Maybe I'm in the minority, but my opinion of Chester isn't really phased, since I like his music.  I'm trying to keep it separate from STP politics, which is an unfortunate looming cloud over this whole thing.  So, it will certainly take some time & music to adjust.

As far as the "friend you haven't seen in 10 years" analogy, this person isn't the same person I knew 10 years ago.  They may share a few traits with someone I used to know, but they've made some poor life decisions, done some shady things, had a sex chance, and don't even resemble the person I once knew.  All of this would be fine, but when they approach me after 10 years and claim that nothing has changed, I can't trust them anymore.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »

Whenever the Deleo's played without Scott, they still played very "STPcentric" music.  I tend to think this "playing it safe" is more of a marketing gimmick to keep STP fans (the Chester fans will follow out of curiosity regardless).  Maybe I'm in the minority, but my opinion of Chester isn't really phased, since I like his music.  I'm trying to keep it separate from STP politics, which is an unfortunate looming cloud over this whole thing.  So, it will certainly take some time & music to adjust.

As far as the "friend you haven't seen in 10 years" analogy, this person isn't the same person I knew 10 years ago.  They may share a few traits with someone I used to know, but they've made some poor life decisions, done some shady things, had a sex chance, and don't even resemble the person I once knew.  All of this would be fine, but when they approach me after 10 years and claim that nothing has changed, I can't trust them anymore.

I can actually see where you're coming from with all of this and I respect it. I wouldn't discount the idea for a second that the whole keeping the STP name and sounding similar (or STP-Centric as you put it) is also for marketing purposes.

If you think about it, if they called themselves "Talk Show Chester" (lol) and came out with totally, radically different music they wouldn't really have as much success as they are now cause there's no name recognition. Even though Talk Show/AOA isn't a good example for me to use (cause the songs still had touches of STP), the proof is there as neither project had as much success or sales as STP did. That's not to insult the music, cause it was fantastic...but it didn't hold a candle to the popularity of STP.

So with Scott officially out of the picture [at least for now], the best way to ensure they still are successful is to retain the old name and sonic identity so that old fans feel familiar and keep on board. Definitely done with marketing in mind, and I can't say I blame them. AIC used the same name and barely changed when William came on board (although to be fair, their old vocalist died...and wasn't fired) and look how successful they still are. 

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 04:57:15 PM »

Sorry bro, but that's some pretty shitty reasoning for not being friends with someone anymore. 
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »

Dude,

Robert was joking when he said they we're doing another EP. Chester is going back to Linkin Park in March 2014, I'd imagine for a year, maybe close to two. Who knows whats going to happen. Dean said he wanted to make a fulll LP but they only had time for an EP. I'd imagine if they decide to stay together for another round they would have more time to work on a full LP knowing so far in advance. Not sure why they didn't just wait an extra month to go on tour and record another 5 or so songs...

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
 "Perhaps we're not giving Chester a fair chance" .. No, really? lol, some of the comments have been crazy, him imitating Scott, imitating Geddy Lee, ripping "Get Back",  not being Chester enough, & the clapping thing has to be the icing on the cake.  Good for you admitting that even you see how a little overboard some are going
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 12:44:09 AM »
My favorite was "Chester dresses like Scott"... Since when has Scott been known for wearing leather jackets? Sure, he wears them sometimes but he wears EVERYTHING sometimes.

Chester shows up in a flannel shirt? Dressing like Scott. T-Shirt? Dressing like Scott. Wife-beater? Dressing like Scott. Three piece suit? Dressing like Scott. Two-piece suit? Dressing like Scott. Shirtless? Dressing like Scott. A dress? Dressing like Scott. Lingerie? Dressing like Scott. Naked? Dressing like Scott.

Unless Chester shows up wearing a kilt or a Power Rangers suit, odds are he'll be wearing something Scott wears sometimes.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 05:23:53 AM »

Chester is going back to Linkin Park in March 2014, I'd imagine for a year, maybe close to two. Who knows whats going to happen. Dean said he wanted to make a fulll LP but they only had time for an EP. I'd imagine if they decide to stay together for another round they would have more time to work on a full LP knowing so far in advance. Not sure why they didn't just wait an extra month to go on tour and record another 5 or so songs...

I wonder how feasible it would be for them to send Chester instrumental material while he's out with LP.
Then again, one of the sticking points in recent interviews has been about "getting in a room altogether and writing TOGETHER.
So, my hypothetical point above may be moot.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19