September 30, 2024, 07:32:57 AM

Author Topic: Black Heart  (Read 19845 times)

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Black Heart
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
I've listened to this song 10 more times and I still think it sounds very generic.  It sounds like they're trying for a hit song but have lost all of the soul.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
I've listened to this song 10 more times and I still think it sounds very generic.  It sounds like they're trying for a hit song but have lost all of the soul.

That's what I got from the feel of S/T.  The majority of that album felt like they were going for singles instead of a cohesive album.   
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
LMFAO! Everything I said in my vague review of the EP is exactly what all of you are saying about this song. I posted my very vague review 2 weeks ago but yet all of you continue to doubt me.

Now that I've actually given the EP a proper listen, there are a few standout moments but overrall, the EP sucks.

They're going to make money selling tickets to shows and feeding off the old school STP fans open to change and LP fans that want to see what Chester is doing but this EP is just okay. As an STP release, it's definately not good. As an EP from a band with a new name had they gone that route, then it would have been looked at in a more positive light.

I still just hear uninspired music with someone trying very hard to sound the way Scott did on the No. 4 album. He's also writing Scott-like lyrics and attempting Scott-like melodies.

I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't leak by the weekend or over the weekend now that more and more people have it. It's not just a stream... some have the capability to download as high quality mp3 (depending on the access they were granted based on credentials.)

I'm done. I won't say any more. Some of you clever music thieves will be able to get the EP off of private trackers and blogs in a matter of days. You'll see what I'm saying.
Take it.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
You'll see what I'm saying.

A long time ago, I kinda believed you. Then, I stopped believing you, and your act became annoying. Now it's just pathetic, but I'm not annoyed anymore... I actually enjoy your posts. It's like watching a bad magician.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
I like it.

Thanks!
Take it.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
Its laughable when people comment on the songs being uninspired, and that it's not rock n roll, define those please , also stating that its not better than anything off of S/T I can say w/o a doubt its greater than Peacoat .. and to add to the comparisons,  I think its better than DOTW which is a song that shouldnt of been released, and better than HC but not HD, which is great tune, also there's a lil Bagman vibe to it which I dig
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:44:04 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
LMFAO! Everything I said in my vague review of the EP is exactly what all of you are saying about this song. I posted my very vague review 2 weeks ago but yet all of you continue to doubt me.

Now that I've actually given the EP a proper listen, there are a few standout moments but overrall, the EP sucks.

They're going to make money selling tickets to shows and feeding off the old school STP fans open to change and LP fans that want to see what Chester is doing but this EP is just okay. As an STP release, it's definately not good. As an EP from a band with a new name had they gone that route, then it would have been looked at in a more positive light.

I still just hear uninspired music with someone trying very hard to sound the way Scott did on the No. 4 album. He's also writing Scott-like lyrics and attempting Scott-like melodies.

I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't leak by the weekend or over the weekend now that more and more people have it. It's not just a stream... some have the capability to download as high quality mp3 (depending on the access they were granted based on credentials.)

I'm done. I won't say any more. Some of you clever music thieves will be able to get the EP off of private trackers and blogs in a matter of days. You'll see what I'm saying.

Absolutley everything you say is a very generic, non-specific prediction. Nothing you have ever said is above a guessing level.

You have no inside source, dude. If you did, it would be below you to post info on a forum.

Don't get me wrong, it's amusing to see someone so desperate for attention. Sad, but amusing.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:45:29 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »

I must have missed your "vague review", but two songs into the EP so far, and it sounds like you hit the nail on the head. 

Given it's all opinions, but Chester does sound like he's TRYING to do his best Scott impersonation, plus the "Rescue me" bit is really just pushing it, Talented Mr. Ripley style in terms of lyrics.  If they were a new band, or weren't masquerading as STP, I wouldn't be nearly as critical of the music, but it is what it is.  I even like 'Black Heart' as a new rock song to throw onto my iPod, but that's because I'm separating it from my entire STP catalog.  But, I do agree with pretty much everything you said.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:52:19 PM by STEAK »

Niktus

« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
mmm it doesn´t impress me...  too easy song, sounds like bubblegum without soul or any real depth. I'll take any AoA song instead of this.
Chester sounds ok, but I hope the rest of the EP do some justice to STP.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2013, 04:39:49 PM »

Absolutley everything you say is a very generic, non-specific prediction. Nothing you have ever said is above a guessing level.

You have no inside source, dude. If you did, it would be below you to post info on a forum.

Don't get me wrong, it's amusing to see someone so desperate for attention. Sad, but amusing.

The vagueness is done with intent. You realize I'm really not supposed to be talking about the things I post about, right? Very little has been out in the way of reviews of the new EP. Not Rolling Stone, not SPIN, not anyone major, right? How would it be if some random guy on an STP board posted a review of the songs well before any of the large outlets do it? The vagueness will never get me or my contact in trouble...

Now that I know the vagueness annoys the hell out of you people, it gives me great pleasure in continuing on. : )

Call it pathetic, call it what you will. I've been on this board and a fan of the band a very, very long time. I'm not just going to stop showing up because people on here don't like what I say. All of those folks can fuck right off.

I'm on here because part of me is still a fan of the guys in the band and what they do. Part of me hopes they all release something in the future that I will enjoy like the old days but more and more I see of this, it's impossible. Scott's musical abilities (lyrically and vocally) seemingly have vanished and the rest of the guys are creating music that lacks any depth with someone that is an imposter. We're never ever going to get a return to form. This EP confirmed that for me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:45:08 PM by Vaporized »
Take it.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »

I'm on here because part of me is still a fan of the guys in the band and what they do. Part of me hopes they all release something in the future that I will enjoy like the old days but more and more I see of this, it's impossible. Scott's musical abilities (lyrically and vocally) seemingly have vanished and the rest of the guys are creating music that lacks any depth with someone that is an imposter. We're never ever going to get a return to form. This EP confirmed that for me.

Most of this I can agree with. They may release another EP early in 2014 that is heavier.

I don't think great tunes from STP are a lost cause, we just may need to wait longer until they can play together more, and find a new groove.

Black Heart is definitely underwhelming, but I like OOT. I  could totally dig the rest of the EP, but I'll wait and see.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »

The vagueness is done with intent. You realize I'm really not supposed to be talking about the things I post about, right? Very little has been out in the way of reviews of the new EP. Not Rolling Stone, not SPIN, not anyone major, right? How would it be if some random guy on an STP board posted a review of the songs well before any of the large outlets do it? The vagueness will never get me or my contact in trouble...

Now that I know the vagueness annoys the hell out of you people, it gives me great pleasure in continuing on. : )

Call it pathetic, call it what you will. I've been on this board and a fan of the band a very, very long time. I'm not just going to stop showing up because people on here don't like what I say. All of those folks can fuck right off.

I like you. 

I agree with most of what you've been saying in this thread, but I partially disagree with your estimations of Scott's musical abilities.  They haven't "vanished", but they aren't up to the touring scene anymore (age, abuse, substances, etc...).  Lyrically & vocally, I still think he's still got it when it comes to studio songs though.  As far as the rest of the band goes, I think they still make good music, but I'm unsure if it's a lack of depth, or just them trying to strike gold again (like how most bands never evolve, and each album sounds the same as the last). 

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
Wow! Did Chester really just try to get the crowd clapping along during the new tune? What is this a One Direction concert? This may sound crazy, but that really upsets me. Yes, I have other bands that I enjoy that get the crowd clapping too, BUT STP has never put out that type of vibe, EVER! Imagine somebody clapping to Crackerman, Creep, Big Empty, Silvergun Superman, Tumble In The Rough, Adhesive, Glide, Heaven & Hot Rods, Wonderful, Dumb Love, Maver, or Huckleberry Crumble! YOU CAN'T, because STP has always been a deeper, more unique type of band to have those types of tunes. Can you picture Weiland in concert starting a clap along? I sure as hell can't!
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »
Can you picture Weiland in concert starting a clap along? I sure as hell can't!
Did you ever see STP performing Sex Type Thing in 1999-2001?
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
 Can you picture Scott Weiland clapping in a concert? Nope. Is he still in the band? Nope. That was then and this is now. I always thought Big Bang Baby had a type of vibe that you could clap to. What difference does it make? He's getting the crowd into a new song that they have never heard before! Waste of time trying to compare Scott and Chester. They are going to interpret things differently. Simple as that. I couldn't imagine anyone else clapping to the other STP songs you mentioned as well. This song in particular that has that vibe that maybe you can clap/groove to it. It's definitely a crowd pleaser! It's a great live song to play and that video is proof of it!

8)