September 29, 2024, 01:20:56 AM

Author Topic: Black Heart  (Read 19795 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Black Heart
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »
The vibe of it reminds me of an old classic rock song, I just can't quite put my finger on it.  Especially the riff.

A quasi-My-Sharona riff, but slower?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
For everyone mentioning Scott...has anyone actually heard him at the Utica Arts & Music Festival? I'm not trying to insult him because I idolized him growing up, but he doesn't sound like the old Scott anymore. Everyone is holding on to the Scott of the past, the Scott of the 90s and the "in his prime" Scott of 2008-2009 but is failing to admit how he is now. He can't sing the old STP songs anymore, let alone new music. He suffered a MAJOR vocal chord injury a few years back, and if you include the abuse he's done to himself with drugs and alcohol he's a shadow of his former self. He sings off key at some concerts, and he forgot some of the lyrics at that show (Interstate Love Song being the best example).

Despite being a Linkin Park fan; I'd love Scott to be involved with the band, but it's not going to happen. Everyone saying that Scott would do these songs justice is being dellusional and holding on to the old Scott. Sure, old Scott would've destroyed it on this track and owned it. But old Scott hasn't been around for a long time.

I'll probably get flack for saying this, but it needed to be said.

I think that is incorrect. First, I'm not suggesting Scott would kill this tune live. His drinking and lack of concern for his voice would prevent that. However, the man still has his pipes he just chooses not to take care of them. If we had a magic button that could make Scott sober up and take care of his voice, he would sound great again within three months. There is a big difference between no longer having the capabilities and just not giving a fuck. Lastly, I think you are forgetting about the power of technology. Scott would easily be able to kill that tune in the studio with the power of technology.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

stpfan31

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »
Lastly, I think you are forgetting about the power of technology. Scott would easily be able to kill that tune in the studio with the power of technology.
I hope you realize how ridiculous that sounds. Is it really killing it if you need auto-tune and a ton of layered over-produced vocals to pull something off?

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
Of course, emulating Scott isn't the same as Scott writing the vocal melody, but at the same time, emulating Scott is perhaps the closest thing to Scott being there.
And are you mad that it's "too Scott Weiland-esque" or "not enough Scott Weiland because Chester isn't Scott"?

Here's why I can totally get behind the "emulation".
If Chester came in and started screaming all over these songs or singing in a very different style, sure people would say "that's Chester doing what he does" but most fans arguably would be turned off. The fact that he's doing what he's doing, is keeping true to a familiar sound that we've all come to love (possibly paying homage to a lead singer and band that he's also a fan of, in the process) and at the end of the day, HE'S still writing the melodies, so it's still HIS stamp on it, even if it has a Scott thing to it.
Personally, I like that this "sounds like STP" more than it being very different vocally, like Army of Anyone.

PS. When analyzing "Glide" vs "Saturday" (Talk Show), some vocal melodies are similar here and there (example the opening line). With that being said, I'm sure that over the years, Scott could have had a suggested vocal melody to sing provided by Robert/Dean/Eric.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »
Beats anything off of S/T except for maybe Fast As I Can, really love the verse riff. Poppiest song they've ever written? Not by a long shot, Cinnamon anyone? Great tune 8/10

Cinnamon is poppy because Scott turns it into a pop song. I'm strictly talking about the music when I say Black Heart is the poppiest song they've ever written. Even Days of The Week has those trademark funky chord progressions we've come to know and love from the DeLeos. This is something anyone could have written, musically.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
ShaneC, I got a Oasis feeling from this song too!

And Slither, who knows maybe I'm jumping the gun and will look back and think I was crazy for saying this song is better than Huckleberry, Hickory, and Days of the Week. But right now I definitely feel like it's better than those songs

I hear both as well.  The melody reminds me a bit of the vocal melody in the Oasis tune - "She's Electric" off of Whats the Story (Morning Glory). 

Its funny, when the song started for my first listen I hated it.  Then by the end I had already warmed up to it.  I'm definitely digging it now.  It definitely sounds like STP, while Chester is still giving it a bit of his own flair too.  This song is nowhere near as poppy as Cinnamon, IMO.  Much more classic rock sounding. 

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
I love the song. I hate the vocals. I'm sorry and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I cannot stand Chester's voice. I don't like the whine - which is odd because Weiland's whine is one of my favorite things ever - but I just hate it. It's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

I know I seem to be in the minority and many are on the "get over it" bandwagon - but this is something I devoted more than half my life to, tattooed on my body, hell - I even had a 90s cover band play at our wedding who did a 30 minute set of just STP. This isn't STP. If it was, believe me, I would know. It's a DeLeo/Kretz side project, just as the Whogivesafucks are Weiland's side project. I didn't care for VR and I don't care for this, either.

My heart hurts after that. But thanks for posting. :)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 08:28:21 PM »

I really dig the groove on this ... and I, too, thought Chester is channeling Liam Gallagher in some way here.
I got a picture of a photograph ...

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
My favorite part is the pre-chorus (I don't mind...). Definitely the most interesting part of the song for me, cool transition. Dean throws more of the country licks that he laced all over the S/T. Cool too, but I hope he goes easy on that with this EP. He needs to evolve out of that country lick phase IMO. It's fine sprinkled in but he's starting to lean on that vibe more frequently which I don't love. The song is cool overall I like it.

And whoever said "My Sharona". LMAO. Hahahahaha. Totally sounds like that riff. Too funny.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 08:46:27 PM »
      WoW! So I just gave the song two listens so far but the 2nd time around was starting to dig it!  IMO this song has everything a STP fan would want in a song, *STP guitar riifs, *STP-like vocals,* STP drum beats and most of all * Dean DeLeo guitar solo!

I can definitely imagine Scott singing this song which I don't think is a bad thing. Chester's voice and lyrics are definitely a huge departure from what we are used to hearing from him in Linkin Park. I did notice the vocals have a lot of distortion sounds in it from time to time. I imagine most people thought Chester was going to bring his "One Step Closer" vibe into STP which clearly isn't the case so far in these two songs that have been released!

I was kind of held back reading all the previous posts on here because I thought all the Chester haters were going to tear this song up but I definitely see the majority of the reviews here to be really positive!

I kind of wish this song was longer though! In that case I would compare it to Vasoline just in the frame of the song being really short! Just when I'm starting to get into the song, it's already over. No worries though. In anything I can see where people might compare it to an extra track from 2010's album but soundwise I wouldn't compare it to any STP song out there. If I'm going to rate this song I will give it 4 stars out of 5. Not a classic but another great STP song and fun to listen to.

BTW Scott Weiland and his Whereabouts, look for Scott to cover these new songs in his Nov 30th concert! lol He's going try to prove everyone wrong. Stay tuned!  :P

8)

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »
Lastly, I think you are forgetting about the power of technology. Scott would easily be able to kill that tune in the studio with the power of technology.
I hope you realize how ridiculous that sounds. Is it really killing it if you need auto-tune and a ton of layered over-produced vocals to pull something off?

Autotine is used in almost everything nowadays. Self-Titled Scott was not singing 100% naturally, and you liked that, right? Chester's voice in this tune has some computer assistance and you dig it. So what is the difference?
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
Great stuff.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
I will say this, taking Chester completely out of the equation for a second - you can just FEEL the music is more inspired. I can't really justify that with an example, but it just feels busier, more complex, more inspired, and less mailed in. You can tell Dean, Robert and Eric are playing this song with passion. You can just tell the writing is more thought out, focused and really shows off their chops. So much of S/T was good musically but felt contrived, thrown together and mailed in. The S/T was really good, by the way, especially music. But I think at least some of you will agree the Deleos didn't really push themselves on that record. Yes Dean had a lot of killer playing on it, but I'm talking more from a spiritual place, they weren't playing from the soul as songwriters. Haha, that may seem out there but hear me out. This song just feels from a writer's perspective like it's from the soul. It's crazy you can feel the harmony musically based on the place they are mentally. I don't think that's by accident. This song is a really interesting balance of poppy, raw, big sounding, country twang, punk, and gifts from the vatican shop esque ambient vibe. Love the way Eric plays this song too. It's almost like there's less thinking going on, less formulaic, and more just innovation. That is when STP is at it's best.

Does anyone out there agree with where I'm going on this? Take Chester out of the equation when considering this. I'm talking STRICTLY the music. I actually thought the solo was a little throw away though... felt a little too much like a shitty version of the TALO solo.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure that this is going to be another hit.  But like Out Of Time, it sounds very generic.  Also, wish I could hear Weiland's take on this song.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

stpfan31

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »

Autotine is used in almost everything nowadays. Self-Titled Scott was not singing 100% naturally, and you liked that, right? Chester's voice in this tune has some computer assistance and you dig it. So what is the difference?
I can honestly say I did not enjoy S/T aside from Fast as I Can and TALO, and still I was a bit turned off by the vocals on those songs. I'm not saying I condemn the use of auto-tune, as an effect its alright, but when its used as a pitch correction because someone can't sing properly or hit the correct notes its a turn off for sure. To me it takes the talent and skill out of being a musician. Chester can pull off his studio vocals live pretty much perfectly while Scott nowadays makes a fool of himself. Blame it on drinking or drugs or whatever but he definitely lost his god given ability to sing no doubt about it and its sad