September 30, 2024, 05:20:33 AM

Author Topic: Black Heart  (Read 19836 times)

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Black Heart
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2013, 04:48:19 AM »
"Get Back" by The Beatles.

On the first listen I immediately thought it was familiar, and on the second I had it.

Disappointed on the first listen too, but slowly warming up to it. As I said, I don't care what they call themselves, because to me this is just a band with my favorite songwriters and performers, the Deleos and an awesome drummer from my favorite band, which is fronted by a guy name Chester Bennington, who is pretty good at his job. Scott has nothing to do with the equation of this song for me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:50:05 AM by shapy »
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2013, 05:20:05 AM »
I, for one, am really digging this one!

Musically, it sounds like STP recharged! It does sound like a logical progression from S/T, but it sounds more "alive" than that album. I know some have compared this to DotW. In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I personally love Days of the Week. I love its upbeat rock energy, and it's just a fun tune. This song does remind me of DotW, but there's also a sense of added urgency. These guys definitely have something to prove, and if this song is any indication, I think they are going to prove it.

Vocally, I'm impressed. Here's the thing I like about Chester: I trust Chester. I trust him to be faithful to Scott's legacy while tastefully weaving in his own contributions. It's a HUGE challenge. To do this right is going to take a ton of care, not to mention a ton of talent. I like Linkin Park. I'm not a diehard fan like I am of STP, but I know their hits and rock out to them on the radio. Chester has already proven successful as Linkin Park's singer. This will be Chester's moment to prove he is a truly great rock singer. Out of Time is a good song, and vocally, it was close to what I expected from Chester in this role, but I'm starting to hear a different side of him on Black Heart. He's stepping outside of his comfort zone, and it's working! The vocals on this song sound are uniquely STP and they're uniquely Chester... which is the thing he needs to accomplish to truly make this new incarnation of STP work.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2013, 05:56:47 AM »
this song musically sounds like ac/dc to me. I like out of time a lot more than this but this song is ok I guess. and I disagree about this song being better than self titled or huckleberry/hickory. those songs were some of my favs off self titled, of course that record is very special to me and still one of my all time favorites from stp.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2013, 06:03:15 AM »
I definitely hear where this picks up from the self titled album. I can really hear how happy they sound on this tune, looking forward to the EP.   
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

IdahoSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2013, 06:39:27 AM »
this song is weaker than any track on self titled!  not sure what you guys are hearing.......lyrically musically not even close to Hickory Dichotomy or Huckleberry.  you better listen to the lyrics again from those two tracks.  way better.  CheSTP is a week reenactment of Army of Anyone except using the cash cow name.  I am cool with Chester but not when he is singing for this band.   If this song goes to the top of the charts it will be because all of the young kids who do not know what real rock and roll is decide this is cool because Chester is in the band!  how can you honestly listen to that and think it is up to par.......the new direction sucks.........last post for me.....I am done with this incarnation of the band!  Days of the week blows it away too.....I read the comparison to this song earlier. someone was saying sounds like the beatles and ac/dc.........really? ??? Wow

Cuatro01

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2013, 06:50:39 AM »
I like it.  I don't like the drama with the band and the issue if not changing the band's name, but I like this song.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2013, 06:51:17 AM »
Live performance from Orlando: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qmctb2vjxY
Grab the hate and drown it out...

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »
I don't like it.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2013, 07:26:06 AM »
I just heard it and liked it. Sounds like classic STP and has that cool Deleo vibe. Chester sounds good on it too.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
Live performance from Orlando: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qmctb2vjxY

Chester's not perfect there, but that sounds great. I really like Hickory Dichotomy, which is this song's musical cousin, but this song grooves like that song wanted to. I feel like the vocal sounds like something Scott would've done with this. At times it sounds reminiscent of the whiny vocal Scott can do, but I agree it sounds like Liam Gallagher a bit (fine by me, love Oasis). The verse vocal is great.

As far as the bad, it leaves me wanting a bit. OOT has one great melodic part--the pre-chorus--that to me makes the song. Here, everything is great, but I don't feel like the chorus fulfills the potential of the verse.

Still, love the groove. I want to learn that riff tomorrow.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »
I like the song quite a bit, again at least it feels more inspired than anything off of S/T. Chester does sound like a hybrid of latter-era Liam G and Scott Weiland.
I had the midwife naked and alone

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »
I'd like the rest of the album to be heavier than this.

I've decided this tune is pretty mediocre. Not horrible, but maybe forgettable is the right word.

Also: I'm very glad they've added Meatplow to the setlist.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:32:49 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »
Ugh, comparing this to S/T... two different bands.  Probably better off comparing this to AoA if anything.

With that said, I liked it, even better than 'Out of Time', which actually makes me a little more excited to hear the EP.  It's a bit simple (unlike STP), almost pop'ish, but it's still new rock music, and I'll take it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:45:31 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2013, 12:58:04 PM »
I like the instruments but the vocals just don't fit at all.  No one can fill Scott's shoes in STP and this song is showing that.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »
During the breakdown Chester sounds a lot like Scott.
My thoughts exactly. Especially as he sings "rescue me"

And I'm digging that live performance...even though he doesn't sing that "rescue me" part. Anyone else notice that?
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007