September 21, 2024, 06:47:42 AM

Author Topic: Fans react to Chester Bennington as new STP singer at show in New Jersey  (Read 8088 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fans react to Chester Bennington as new STP singer at show in New Jersey
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 06:35:18 AM »
Beating a dead horse.

I think the main issue here is, that people aren't understating each other on the whole name thing. Everyone just likes to put out there their self righteous believes on the whole thing, rather than asking each other why they believe the things they're stating on the issue.
From talking to some on here, those who feel that they should carry the name, aren't too concerned about the meaning of a group of guys creating something and always maintaining the integrity of that moment solely between them, and for it to not exist unless they are together. People supporting this feel that Scott has tarnished that and has made it impossible for them to continue working to provide their fans the music they're created together. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but to me, once you're at that point, you've become exactly what Scott said; a company. Again, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

What the supporters need to understand, is that the people against this, aren't against Chester Bennington necessarily; they just hate the fact that he's involved in it. They have an emotional connection to the name because they feel that it embodies the band as a whole. From the albums they've purchased, to the shows they've attended, and to call Stone Temple Pilots they're favorite band. It's not just a thing.

From being in a band myself, I remember losing a band mate, and me proposing that we should change the name since our bass player was no longer in it. The rest of the guys were annoyed and felt it was stupid because all the work we've put on would be flushed and we'd have to start all over again... Until they sort of understood where I was coming from. It all came down to $, and not wanting to work hard again due to someone who didn't care as much fucking it up.

The main issue is a matter of opinion.  That's it. 

I'm sure everyone "understands" the issues just fine.  Some people will agree with one side, while others will side opposite them... that's the nature of an argument.  It has nothing to do with "self righteousness"... well, unless you're the one claiming that your opinion is 100% right.  You're putting words & emotions into people's mouths, trying to explain both sides; when in fact it's impossible to really know where EVERYBODY on either side is coming from. 

For me personally, I've chosen my side, and I'll argue for what I believe in.  But it's only my opinion, there is no right or wrong.  I've always asserted that it was my opinion, and never claimed it to be anything more than that.  Being on an open forum like this, there's nothing else to do but share information, and talk about topics at hand.  Unfortunately, some people are too stupid to handle that, and out of a lack of intelligence, or childish spite, they just "smite" opinions they disagree with, rather than get involved in the conversation like adults.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 08:15:16 AM »
Beating a dead horse.

I think the main issue here is, that people aren't understating each other on the whole name thing. Everyone just likes to put out there their self righteous believes on the whole thing, rather than asking each other why they believe the things they're stating on the issue.
From talking to some on here, those who feel that they should carry the name, aren't too concerned about the meaning of a group of guys creating something and always maintaining the integrity of that moment solely between them, and for it to not exist unless they are together. People supporting this feel that Scott has tarnished that and has made it impossible for them to continue working to provide their fans the music they're created together. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but to me, once you're at that point, you've become exactly what Scott said; a company. Again, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

What the supporters need to understand, is that the people against this, aren't against Chester Bennington necessarily; they just hate the fact that he's involved in it. They have an emotional connection to the name because they feel that it embodies the band as a whole. From the albums they've purchased, to the shows they've attended, and to call Stone Temple Pilots they're favorite band. It's not just a thing.

From being in a band myself, I remember losing a band mate, and me proposing that we should change the name since our bass player was no longer in it. The rest of the guys were annoyed and felt it was stupid because all the work we've put on would be flushed and we'd have to start all over again... Until they sort of understood where I was coming from. It all came down to $, and not wanting to work hard again due to someone who didn't care as much fucking it up.

I'm sure everyone "understands" the issues just fine.  Some people will agree with one side, while others will side opposite them... that's the nature of an argument.  It has nothing to do with "self righteousness"... well, unless you're the one claiming that your opinion is 100% right.  You're putting words & emotions into people's mouths, trying to explain both sides; when in fact it's impossible to really know where EVERYBODY on either side is coming from. 

For me personally, I've chosen my side, and I'll argue for what I believe in.  But it's only my opinion, there is no right or wrong.  I've always asserted that it was my opinion, and never claimed it to be anything more than that.  Being on an open forum like this, there's nothing else to do but share information, and talk about topics at hand.  Unfortunately, some people are too stupid to handle that, and out of a lack of intelligence, or childish spite, they just "smite" opinions they disagree with, rather than get involved in the conversation like adults.

I understand opinions are opinions, but some tend to forget that they aren't in the band. While I'd like to think I'm right on this, I also understand that I wasn't there when STP began. As far as we know, they all could have said to each other.."This band will continue no matter what. Even if one of us quits, gets fired, or dies". I if that had been discussed within the band, some of our arguments would be meaningless, but at the end of the day we don't know anything about. We can argue and disagree all day about this, but it'd be easier if people really put some thought into others opinions instead of continuously gunning each others points. I suppose I just wish that this site would be a little less hostile.
If you only knew..

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
Beating a dead horse.

I understand opinions are opinions, but some tend to forget that they aren't in the band/music/musicians. While I'd like to think I'm right on this, I also understand that I wasn't there when STP began. As far as we know, they all could have said to each other.."This band will continue no matter what. Even if one of us quits, gets fired, or dies". I if that had been discussed within the band, some of our arguments would be meaningless, but at the end of the day we don't know anything about. We can argue and disagree all day about this, but it'd be easier if people really put some thought into others opinions instead of continuously gunning each others points. I suppose I just wish that this site would be a little less hostile.

I don't think the site itself is hostile.... it's the band's situation that's hostile.

Then you have us fans,who are on here b/c we tend to be more vested in the band than the average STP fan.  We're all not going to agree on the same things, from favorite songs all the way to who to side with on this current debate.  If we can't all agree on positive things, there's no way we'll agree on bad things.

Personally, I've looked at every angle.  I've held my ground mostly, but been willing to compromise on other opinions, and in rare instances changed my mind.  Despite my difference in opinions, I don't hold any contempt or hostility towards pretty much anyone here, since we've all come here initially for the same reasons.  Although, I do look down on people who offer nothing, smite, or downvote (other sites), without any logical reasoning or argument.

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
Beating a dead horse.

I understand opinions are opinions, but some tend to forget that they aren't in the band/music/musicians. While I'd like to think I'm right on this, I also understand that I wasn't there when STP began. As far as we know, they all could have said to each other.."This band will continue no matter what. Even if one of us quits, gets fired, or dies". I if that had been discussed within the band, some of our arguments would be meaningless, but at the end of the day we don't know anything about. We can argue and disagree all day about this, but it'd be easier if people really put some thought into others opinions instead of continuously gunning each others points. I suppose I just wish that this site would be a little less hostile.

I don't think the site itself is hostile.... it's the band's situation that's hostile.

Then you have us fans,who are on here b/c we tend to be more vested in the band than the average STP fan.  We're all not going to agree on the same things, from favorite songs all the way to who to side with on this current debate.  If we can't all agree on positive things, there's no way we'll agree on bad things.

Personally, I've looked at every angle.  I've held my ground mostly, but been willing to compromise on other opinions, and in rare instances changed my mind.  Despite my difference in opinions, I don't hold any contempt or hostility towards pretty much anyone here, since we've all come here initially for the same reasons.  Although, I do look down on people who offer nothing, smite, or downvote (other sites), without any logical reasoning or argument.

Agreed. We're all true stp fans here. Upset n disappointed at the current situation. And so, life goes on.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »

From talking to some on here, those who feel that they should carry the name, aren't too concerned about the meaning of a group of guys creating something and always maintaining the integrity of that moment solely between them

Just to be clear about this - that absolutely matters a great deal to me. The integrity of everything STP produced, despite all the issues, up to and including Thank You, should never have been compromised.

Had the current situation happened in 2004/5 or thenabouts, would I have supported it? Never.

But things have changed drastically since then and, imo, the legacy has been more than tarnished.

I believe the new line-up can rescue a little of what was lost - I accept 100% that many will never see it that way. I hope I have only responded strongly to those who have been excessively mean for no reason or who have clearly created accounts just to bash the Deleos/Kretz/CB.

Just one thing though - to anyone who is dead against what's happening, wouldn't it be better if it's some sort of success? Because that's about the only thing that might get through to Scott and wake him up.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »

Just to be clear about this - that absolutely matters a great deal to me. The integrity of everything STP produced, despite all the issues, up to and including Thank You, should never have been compromised.

Had the current situation happened in 2004/5 or thenabouts, would I have supported it? Never.

But things have changed drastically since then and, imo, the legacy has been more than tarnished.

I believe the new line-up can rescue a little of what was lost - I accept 100% that many will never see it that way. I hope I have only responded strongly to those who have been excessively mean for no reason or who have clearly created accounts just to bash the Deleos/Kretz/CB.

Just one thing though - to anyone who is dead against what's happening, wouldn't it be better if it's some sort of success? Because that's about the only thing that might get through to Scott and wake him up.

I will NEVER support the use of the STP name or brand without Scott (just the same as I wouldn't support Scott using 'Stone Temple Pilots' for himself & The Wildabouts).

BUT... I'm excited for new music from Eric, Dean & Robert, plus I don't think they could have chosen a better guy than Chester.  I love the music the DeLeos & Eric make, and Chester finally has a solid rock band to suit his style and vice versa.

As far as Scott's concerned....  I don't think this band's success will wake him up.  I think this might cement his resentment towards the rest of STP, but on the flip side, that resentment may inspire him to write some great songs.  Personally, I want this new band to be totally successful, but I especially want them to lose the lawsuit and have to change their name.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:02:28 PM by STEAK »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »
I will NEVER support the use of the STP name or brand without Scott (just the same as I wouldn't support Scott using 'Stone Temple Pilots' for himself & The Wildabouts).

BUT... I'm excited for new music from Eric, Dean & Robert, plus I don't think they could have chosen a better guy than Chester.  I love the music the DeLeos & Eric make, and Chester finally has a solid rock band to suit his style and vice versa.

As far as Scott's concerned....  I don't think this band's success will wake him up.  I think this might cement his resentment towards the rest of STP, but on the flip side, that resentment may inspire him to write some great songs.  Personally, I want this new band to be totally successful, but I especially want them to lose the lawsuit and have to change their name.

I've pretty much beaten this topic to death in other threads but I just had to comment here because this absolutely hits the nail on the head for me and is EXACTLY how I feel. I hate  that they're trying to pass this off as STP, the same way I hate that Scott's doing a ghastly Purple to the Core tour with the Wildabouts, but Chester is the best guy out there for the job (somehow) and I want to hear what Dean, Robert and Eric have left in the tank.

Not a hater on Chester btw, and I've made this clear before. I just really think he's far more talented than any other member of his band and was simply born at the wrong time. Had he not came of age during the nu-metal era, I think he could have been surrounded by better musicians and his career would have been steered in a different direction.

Disclaimer: I was a HUGE Linkin Park fan in middle school (some 10-12 years ago), just not so much anymore.

As far as these fan reactions, pretty much exactly what I thought would happen. It could be a positive though, these kids are being exposed to "STP" for the first time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:50:34 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »

Fair enough. I never thought I'd accept STP without all four original members, and I have no idea exactly how it is that I came to lose that sentiment... So I can understand where you're coming from, I guess.

I just wish both sides could calm the arguing down a bit... And I include myself in this. I've definitely been a bit of a dick the last few months for no real reason. So I apologize for that. I think at the end of the day we all have to accept that this is all out of our control, and the only thing up to us is to decide if we like or dislike the situation.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »
This is only a problem because it's the singer. Vocals and melody are the most recognizable and easy-to-process part about a song for the average fan. It's also the easiest thing for the average fan to notice that there is a difference. No one is going to pass Chester off as Scott. However, the average fan--read: the vast majority of fans--will not notice a huge difference if one of the other guys was replaced.

This is why the Van Halen equivalent of this board to this day has nasty Sam vs Dave threads, but Van Halen still sells out shows despite Eddie's son playing bass, not Michael Anthony. This is why Pearl Jam goes strong and no one really cares that Pearl Jam has gone through 4 drummers.

To me, for example, "Given to Fly" is unlistenable with Matt Cameron on drums. To me, for example, the last Van Halen album sounds equally Van Halen and Dave solo because the bass playing is different and there is no Michael Anthony on backing vocals.

But there are some people who aren't just the average fan. I play an instrument. I have recorded somewhat professionally. I have friends making a living as musicians. I listen to music differently--only because I have trained and practiced. In many cases, there is a big difference when even a drummer, bass player, or guitar player is replaced. Yet the vast majority of fans never have a huge problem when that happens--only the singer.

Yes, sometimes certain personalities dominate a band. Eddie Vedder is a great example. But even in the case of Pearl Jam there is a world of difference in their drummers. They've made no attempts to hire drummers that bared any resemblance to the previous drummer. And it makes a big difference. Perhaps it's not as big a difference for most fans, but it's enough to make it tough to listen to Matt Cameron play stuff from before he was in the band, at least for me.

Obviously, in a perfect world, previous STP fans would prefer a healthy Scott leading the band. But since that isn't happening, the rest of the guys got a new singer. It isn't new in rock and roll. Sometimes it works, like Van Halen. Sometimes it doesn't, like Bad Company. This was not an artistic decision. The decision to continue the STP name serves the financial interests of the band, is probably a reason Chester even agreed to do this--STP is one of his favorite bands--and it also servers to show that, at least for now, the guys are done with Scott.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 07:34:35 PM »
Not a hater on Chester btw, and I've made this clear before. I just really think he's far more talented than any other member of his band and was simply born at the wrong time. Had he not came of age during the nu-metal era, I think he could have been surrounded by better musicians and his career would have been steered in a different direction.

That's about how I feel about Chester. My sister was HUGELY into LP back in the day, the only part of the band I could ever get into was Chester's vocals. I always felt he was one of the most underutilized vocalists of the 2000s, especially after hearing his stuff from Gray Daze. I was especially disappointed by his solo record, because I was hoping to see more straight up rock out of him... But I think the issue with that was that he was again not surrounded by good musicians. I love his melodies and for the most part I like his lyrics... He's just never been able to write with great musicians.

Maybe I can accept this "STP" because this line-up has been a wetdream band of mine forever. When STP broke up in 2003, my first thought was that the DeLeos and Kretz should do a supergroup with Chester.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 01:10:25 AM »

From talking to some on here, those who feel that they should carry the name, aren't too concerned about the meaning of a group of guys creating something and always maintaining the integrity of that moment solely between them

This is about the stupidest thing I've read in all of this.  There is no legacy without S Weiland.  He is the legacy.  No one will ever remember the Deleos for anything worthwhile except for working with S Weiland.  Talk Show, AOA, STP w/ Chester, none of it will be remembered when it's all said and done.  Rescue the legacy???  What planet are you from?

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 01:37:10 AM »

This is about the stupidest thing I've read in all of this.  There is no legacy without S Weiland.  He is the legacy.  No one will ever remember the Deleos for anything worthwhile except for working with S Weiland.  Talk Show, AOA, STP w/ Chester, none of it will be remembered when it's all said and done.  Rescue the legacy???  What planet are you from?

both the deleos are and will continue to be known as amazing instrumentalists and songwriters... their legacy is not dependent on scott

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »

By this rationale, the legacy would be in better hands if Scott Weiland & The Wildebeests changed their name to Stone Temple Pilots, right?

The rest of STP will be know for being in STP, not for working with Scott Weiland. But if STP w/ Chester continues to churn out hits, at some point the band begins to be known for finding success with two singers, a la Van Halen, AC/DC, or  Alice in Chains.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:37 AM »

Scott Weiland & The Wildebeests
Definitely the best one yet.

chrisinger

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:20 AM »
I will stick to the Weiland years and listen to the studio albums and the vintage live DVD concert and cd collection I have. The new album may not have been that great no matter who sings on it anyway.