September 21, 2024, 06:53:54 AM

Author Topic: Fans react to Chester Bennington as new STP singer at show in New Jersey  (Read 8089 times)

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Fans react to Chester Bennington as new STP singer at show in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
I apologize for my reporters using that awful iPhone camera angle, big pet peeve of mine.  I think the short clips of the Linkin Park fans though shows the new crowd STP is drawing in.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »
That was difficult to watch...

The term "fans" is a bit of a stretch.  And considering most of, if not all those people are casual/new STP fans, and or have never seen STP back in their prime (or before the break up), you're really not dealing with an informed audience.

It came off like a Jimmy Kimmel sketch where they interview people on the street who don't know WTF they're talking about.  Then again, when someone records a video vertically, you already know what type of person you're dealing with...
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »

The term "fans" is a bit of a stretch.  And considering most of, if not all those people are casual/new STP fans, and or have never seen STP back in their prime (or before the break up), you're really not dealing with an informed audience.

It came off like a Jimmy Kimmel sketch where they interview people on the street who don't know WTF they're talking about.  Then again, when someone records a video vertically, you already know what type of person you're dealing with...

Yep, I'd have never filmed it like this.  But this is what they did and all I have to run with since there's no LA show on this tour and I can't film myself.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »

Yep, I'd have never filmed it like this.  But this is what they did and all I have to run with since there's no LA show on this tour and I can't film myself.

Hah, I get it. 

Despite my views on "STP w/ Chester", watching any video where ill-informed people giving opinions is infuriating.  The two main guys in the video, I'll very much agree to disagree, but the people from the show were the worst.  It was just a misleading article/video IMO.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

Yeah no show in LA! But I bet if there was you'd wind up talking to Robert for awhile, finding out he's a total badass, hell I bet he'd even give you his shirt that he wore on the number four tour, but too bad about there not being a show in LA. :(

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:42:24 PM »
Refuse to ever go to grunge report again.  It is the worst site ever..........  And it's questionable how this guy is always trying to bait us to all go there.  F that. 

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »
"I'll listen to STP... As long as Chester is in it!"
Ugh.
If you only knew..

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »
Yeah, it's a terrible thing that STP might get some new fans out of this.

I mean, seriously.   ::)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:35:26 AM »

This isn't "STP".

It's one thing if Talk Show, Scott solo, VR, or AoA brought brought fans over to STP...  but this is a supergroup masquerading as STP (or an old band with a cover singer), but certainly not STP.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:16:10 AM »

This isn't "STP".

It's one thing if Talk Show, Scott solo, VR, or AoA brought brought fans over to STP...  but this is a supergroup masquerading as STP (or an old band with a cover singer), but certainly not STP.

They are not touring as STP. They are Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington. I don't see the Deleos making any claims that this is the original band.

There are still 3 members of STP, that's plural so the name they are touring under is not a lie. Its actually what they are.

It would be silly to call themselves "Stone Temple Pilot + Stone Temple Pilot + Stone Temple Pilot + Chester Bennington", or "3 Stone Temple Pilots + Chester Bennington".

If Scott comes back, they will be just Stone Temple Pilots.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:19:44 AM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 05:25:36 AM »

This isn't "STP".

They are not touring as STP. They are Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington. I don't see the Deleos making any claims that this is the original band.

There are still 3 members of STP, that's plural so the name they are touring under is not a lie. Its actually what they are.

It would be silly to call themselves "Stone Temple Pilot + Stone Temple Pilot + Stone Temple Pilot + Chester Bennington", or "3 Stone Temple Pilots + Chester Bennington".

If Scott comes back, they will be just Stone Temple Pilots.

1. They WERE calling themselves "Stone Temple Pilots", and most likely would continue to do so, but I'm sure their legal battle had something to do with it.  But they have no problem capitalizing on STP's website, Facebook, other social media, and any other marketing billed solely as "Stone Temple Pilots". 

2. If majority members made up band's names, then why wasn't 'Talk Show' or 'Army of Anyone' called 'Stone Temple Pilots' either?  Shouldn't 'Velvet Revolver' have been called Gun's N Roses w/ Scott Weiland? 

3. Of course that would be silly, because it's an awful, redundant name. 

If Scott & the boys ever get back together, this side project would look that much more foolish as a blemish on the band's legacy.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 05:27:35 AM »
I think if Izzy Stradlin had been in VR they would have had every right to call it Guns N' Roses, much moreso than Axl's solo band.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 05:55:41 AM »
I think if Izzy Stradlin had been in VR they would have had every right to call it Guns N' Roses, much moreso than Axl's solo band.

Hah, well technically they'd have more right... But Guns R' Roses is just a huge mess, so with ALL their members, GnR isn't as easily defined.  Personally, I don't think Axl is GnR, nor would I think any combination of former band members would be either.

Axl has always been out there, so for him to go off on his own, claiming to be Guns N' Roses, that's ONE fanatical guy, doing something crazy on his own. He was never the stable, voice of reason, so it's to be expected. But multiple people making a conscious decision to do the exact same absurd thing.... that's almost more delusional.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 05:57:16 AM »
Beating a dead horse.

I think the main issue here is, that people aren't understating each other on the whole name thing. Everyone just likes to put out there their self righteous believes on the whole thing, rather than asking each other why they believe the things they're stating on the issue.
From talking to some on here, those who feel that they should carry the name, aren't too concerned about the meaning of a group of guys creating something and always maintaining the integrity of that moment solely between them, and for it to not exist unless they are together. People supporting this feel that Scott has tarnished that and has made it impossible for them to continue working to provide their fans the music they're created together. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but to me, once you're at that point, you've become exactly what Scott said; a company. Again, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

What the supporters need to understand, is that the people against this, aren't against Chester Bennington necessarily; they just hate the fact that he's involved in it. They have an emotional connection to the name because they feel that it embodies the band as a whole. From the albums they've purchased, to the shows they've attended, and to call Stone Temple Pilots they're favorite band. It's not just a thing.

From being in a band myself, I remember losing a band mate, and me proposing that we should change the name since our bass player was no longer in it. The rest of the guys were annoyed and felt it was stupid because all the work we've put on would be flushed and we'd have to start all over again... Until they sort of understood where I was coming from. It all came down to $, and not wanting to work hard again due to someone who didn't care as much fucking it up.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:58:53 AM by VelvetLounngeFly »
If you only knew..