September 30, 2024, 07:25:23 AM

Author Topic: 2013-09-06 - Sayreville, NJ - Starland Ballroom  (Read 9346 times)

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-09-06 - Sayreville, NJ - Starland Ballroom
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »
I really want to hear more new tracks. That's the main thing.

Coma and Transmissions... would be neat though.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
I really want to hear more new tracks. That's the main thing.

I like that they are saving it so that we can hear them fresh on the EP, but once High Rise drops I hope they play 4 or 5 new songs every night.

Maybe they could stand to add one more new song to the set before the EP is out, though.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »
Before we freak out at all, let's remember that they spoke about rehearsing Sin and Pretty Penny so we know they'll switch it up a bit.  And there's also the EP coming out, so we know they want to establish themselves as having a new direction, so that's at least 6 songs that will be added/switched around
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:45:38 PM by Purple »
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »

Interstate Love Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QozW4mE-TkQ
Was it Dean or a problem with his guitar?

Sounds like Dean picked the wrong string and kinda decided to go with it.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
W-O-W

Ok their tour JUST started! They are JUST out of the gate. We're going to start already criticizing them for having a repeat setlist?? So they have the same setlist for a dozen or two shows. Who cares. It's not like everyone is going to every single one of their shows. It's new to the next town that sees it. Talk about being under the microscope. But that's how it's going to be. All the Chester haters waiting for him to mess up or repeating a show so then they can finally say I told you so. Sad. Still won't bring Scott back.  ;D Let them repeat shows. Scott with STP did that a lot too. No difference. Let them get their feet wet a little before you jump on criticize train!  Good job new STP!!

8)
Agreed

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
To quote another thread, "Chester is saving STP." I felt uneasy when the lights went down and not seeing Scott walk out, but I've come to terms with reality. There is no reason Scott should hold up the careers of the other three and I do take them at their word for trying to make things work with Scott. Anyway, there's nothing else to say other than they kicked ass. Tons of energy, DeLeo's had it turned up a notch compared to any other show I've seen. Church on Tuesday, Pop's Love Suicide and Sex or Violence were obviously huge surprises and would have probably never heard them if Scott were still with the band. Chester is a humble dude - very gracious and knew his place. I'm fine with the set staying the same for this leg of the tour. I can't imagine folks seeing them more than once on this run anyway. And in regards to Interstate, Dean definitely hit the wrong string. I knew it was ILS once the black Gibson came out and most fans in previous shows can pick it up during that intro, but being that he muffed it fans started going nuts once Kretz came in. Chester has a great voice and there are some times where he is a bit nasal, but he nailed it last night. Very happy about this new era and that I will still get to see 75% of STP with a great guy who can front the band and do a better job than the former lead singer at this point in his career.
--Rob--

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »
Dean really jacked up the intro.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 09:11:25 PM »

Interstate Love Song:

Omg dean is using again!!!!!  See what I did there?

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
The show was good. I like the fact that they dug deep into their catalog. Most fans probably just want the hits but I've seen STP 10+ times, so I appreciate a set list like that. As for vocals...
Chester sings great! Hits all the notes. some songs weren't as convincing as others. "Sour Girl" for example was so/so. But he was on the money with most of it. I gotta say though, there's something about having Scott Weiland up there. overall there's an x-factor that Scott brings...a certain command of the stage that was just missing. He's a fantastic frontman, when on his game, of course! Watching him up there, you're watching a legend do his thing.

I equate this to watching Alice in Chains with William Duvall. Duvall can sing the hell out of those songs but he's not Layne.
And live, it's all fine and dandy, but listening to all those great songs last night, I ask the question, can Chester create those unforgettable melodies? Say what you will about Scott, but he's an amazing melody maker and amazing showman.
We'll wait to see. New EP comes out next month.
On the whole, did I enjoy it? Yes I did. I'm a fan of the WHOLE band, but there was also a feeling of "I can't believe this is really happening".
I love STP, more than any other band in the last 20 years, so while I wanna see them create more music, I also know Scott is an incredible melody maker. Chester has big shoes to fill.

On a side note..I'm sad to know that Scott is on some out of control downward spiral.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 05:37:50 AM »

Interstate Love Song:

Omg dean is using again!!!!!  See what I did there?

Are you making fun of the fact that people do that to Scott? If so your a fucking dumbass. Scott is using again and has been for years, it doesn't matter if its "legal" pills he has a prescription for or not, he is on drugs PERIOD. It's 100% real no B.S. He's not just this dumb in real life and its insulting to think he is anywhere near sober. If he was he would not of totally just shit his career down the toilet like he has been all year, don't insult him by saying he's sober, please. He's not brain dead, hes on drugs. There is a difference.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 05:41:37 AM »

Interstate Love Song:

Ha! I don't watch vids of live shows, cause it ruins things going to see them live later on the same tour, but that was interesting, WTF? At least we know they play live.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 08:06:52 AM »

Interstate Love Song:

As a guitar player, I watched this a few times and came up with two possibilities (I can't hear or see anything that is wrong with the guitar/setup at all, so I don't think it was that).

1) He starts off fine. He is on the right string playing the right note (B). I think, however, he tries to improvise and play the F# note in the riff an octave higher--he misses and ends up hitting a G (it's been a while since I have worked with this stuff, but it seems to me that the reason it still sounds alright at this point is because this mistake merely means he shifted from the major scale to the blues or pentatonic scale). From there, though, I think from there he gets lost and we witness a pretty bad mistake, or

2) He had a stroke in the middle of playing
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:16:30 AM by lovemachine97 »

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »
Oh Dean you egg
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »

Interstate Love Song:

As a guitar player, I watched this a few times and came up with two possibilities (I can't hear or see anything that is wrong with the guitar/setup at all, so I don't think it was that).

1) He starts off fine. He is on the right string playing the right note (B). I think, however, he tries to improvise and play the F# note in the riff an octave higher--he misses and ends up hitting a G (it's been a while since I have worked with this stuff, but it seems to me that the reason it still sounds alright at this point is because this mistake merely means he shifted from the major scale to the blues or pentatonic scale). From there, though, I think from there he gets lost and we witness a pretty bad mistake, or

2) He had a stroke in the middle of playing

He said he broke a string

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »
I suppose that could be it. Normally you would hear that happen. There is a weird tonal thing that happens in there, but without seeing or hearing an obvious breakage I assumed it was his attack that changed.

It would make sense that this would confuse him--and his head lifts up as if something happened--but I tried to look for a string break right off that bat and couldn't see/hear one. I'm guessing it was the 4th string, then.

I've never thought that Dean was a great improviser. This would seem to back that up.

EDIT: Found a video from another angle. All of his strings are intact. Either the string came unwound but didn't break, or he's lying. Or I am retarded. Which is possible.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:33:09 AM by lovemachine97 »