September 20, 2024, 10:49:36 PM

Author Topic: Chester is saving STP  (Read 13895 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Chester is saving STP
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2013, 06:23:17 AM »
Brett's post brings up a point that has bugged me for some time. Can anyone tell me why Kretz wasn't part of AoA? Luzier is a great drummer and did a fine job on AoA, but without Kretz the chemistry was different. I keep wondering how Eric would've played certain parts. For example, the drumming at the end of 'Goodbye' sounds good but doesn't seem to suit the song IMO. Any thoughts?

Kretz was very into studio work during STP's mid 2000's break so he turned down AoA, he had a lot of bands recording at Bombshelter Studios.  I believe he was the musical director for Henry Rollins' IFC talk show as well.  He did some drumming for Spiralarms too.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »
I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but if we ever wish for the slightest chance of having Scott back in STP, I think it's better that STP keep on going whether it is with Chester B or Miley Cyrus fronting them, than no STP. It seems to me that the Deleos + Kretz love nothing better than to work with each other. "Out of Time", while not exactly an amazing song in my opinion, and it may be just one song, but I think it sounds more inspired and fresh than anything off of S/T. If they'd just split, who knows if they ever bothered to come back (other than maybe to do a few big-cash shows) and that in itself (breaking up) would be a sign that they don't care enough about the band anymore. But they do. If there's someone here who thinks STP should retire and not even come back with Scott, then okay. But those who think "No STP at all unless Scott is back"; wouldn't it be a little alarming if say, Robert said he wants to go fishing to Florida for ten years. The fact that they still continue and did continue through years upon years of Scott's shenadigans (in lack of better terms) just tells us how much they love the band, want to protect it, want it to move forward - how is this any bad?
Sure it's a business too, these guys are artists but they are entrepreneurs as well. Just because a company loses a valuable part and in this case the face of the company, doesn't mean they couldn't move forward if they still can and want to.
Iron Maiden/Sabbath/Motley Crue/Van Halen all had their iconic frontmen leave at some point, only to come back later (with more or less success, but still). What all these bands did though, was to keep on going in the mean time. We all know that Scott would have to do a massive change in his ways and get his vocals back on track, for a reunion to happen. I don't see how a complete break up would better the "legacy" of STP, I see them continuing with Chester to be a better alternative than to fade away.
So, is Chester "saving" STP? I would agree with that, yes.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:52:11 AM by Comatose Commodity »
I had the midwife naked and alone

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
I hope the Deleos&Kretz find happiness with Chester. They deserve it lets be honest, Scott is probably a nightmare to work with no matter how talented he is. I think its cool Chester, who is a die hard fan, is fronting his childhood band. I think if these guys find some success it will open Scott's eyes and make him appreciate what they (STP) have created together. I love Scott, but ive been more annoyed by him the last few years more that I ever have. Noone is perfect. I have to admit, im excited about this colaboration. STP was fading fast and i hope this will attract new fans so they are relevant enough to want to continue making music in the future.