September 20, 2024, 10:36:00 PM

Author Topic: Chester is saving STP  (Read 13893 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Chester is saving STP
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »
This X10000000000000000!!

Think about it though... The ones that are complete supporters of this don't really care about the name, so I suppose I see where they're coming from.

I see where they're coming from too.  I'm actually excited for new music... especially from Dean, Robert, and Eric.   It's just everything else about the situation that rubs me the wrong way.  Like I said, they're actions are like a big "fuck you" to the fans; and considering all the time and money I've spent on STP since 1994, it's a huge disappointment. 

Steak, my hat off to you.

Thank you!  After being smited multiple times for these views, it's especially nice to know some people agree.

I hate how some "fans" act like Scott Weiland was solely responsible for the Stone Temple Pilots sound that we all have known and loved for the past 20 years. STP weren't just amazing because Scott Weiland sounded good. They were amazing also because their instrumentation was beautiful too. Robert, Dean and Eric are all masters of their craft, and to claim STP is nothing without Weiland is not only doing a disservice, but also an insult to the three remaining members of STP who are every bit to thank for the signature STP sound as Scott was. Did Scott write those familiar riffs that introduce "Plush" or "Interstate Love Song" or "Sex Type Thing"? Did he bring that drum sound, and signature bass/guitar sound that lets you know it's an STP track before Scott's vocals ever even grace the track? No. That brilliant blend of instrumental skill is brought to you by Eric, Dean and Robert...three members who are still very much a part of STP and are working to keep that legacy alive.

The band may not be the original lineup, and they may be referred to as "Stone Temple Pilots w/ Chester Bennington" legally, but a good chunk of the heart that made Core and future albums by the band so memorable is still there and beating. The pulse hasn't stopped, STP is not dead, and I have every bit of faith they can continue on and deliver solid music to us fans with Chester at the helm.

Because as much as some people here refuse to believe, Scott was only a piece of what made Stone Temple Pilots so legendary. The band was always so much more than Scott Weiland's touring band and these guys deserve the right to make the music they want to make.

I may have let the cat out of the bag that I'm a Linkin Park fan, but I'm an STP fan first (by a good 10 years before I discovered LP) and believe in Robert, Dean and Eric to the fullest. Scott or no Scott, I haven't given up on the band. I'm excited for High Rise, and I will give the EP the chance it deserves to be given.

Maybe I'm some "fans"... but like I already mentioned in earlier posts (which you may have missed), I never said Scott is solely responsible for STP's music.  He was however the singer/songwriter, so taking the visual aspect ("frontman") out of the band, I'd say half the music was on him, while Robert, Dean, and Eric put together all the music.  In it's purest form, that's all that music is, vocals and or instrumental sounds.  So, Scott accounts for half, while the other three divide up the instrumental portion of the music.  Obviously it's more complex than that, but fundamentally Scott's role is more important than any other individual band member's.  He was the voice AND lyrics alone, while the rest of them worked together on the instrumentals (albiet amazing instrumentals).   

I also liked this line:
"The band was always so much more than Scott Weiland's touring band and these guys deserve the right to make the music they want to make."

Nobody is denying this.  All of them together were amazing, but sadly that's done with (hopefully not forever).  Of course they have the right to make the music they want, but they tried in the past.... TWICE... and it didn't quite work out for them.  But just because they failed in previous attempts to get by on their musical talents doesn't mean they shouldn't try again... and it certainly doesn't justify exploiting their old band's material, name, and legacy as a marketing strategy!
Musically, I believe in Robert, Dean, and Eric 100%, especially now that I actually like the singer they chose to work with.  Am I disappointed in the way they're proceeding?  ABSOLUTELY!  But given time and new material, I'm certainly willing to give them a chance.  Unfortunately, this is a permanent stain on STP's name and legacy, and that's incredibly disappointing coming from guys I used to admire.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:51:06 AM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »
When it was announced back in February that Weiland was fired, I have to admit I was disappointed too. As much as I have realized in hindsight that Weiland kinda dug his own grave, I still had a hard time visualizing, accepting or even understanding an STP without Scott. Which made it all the more of a shock when one of the vocalists from another band I listen to became the lead vocalist.

At first I wasn't sure how to take it, but once I accepted that this wasn't the "old STP" but more-so a new vision for the band, and my mind seperated the two I was able to accept it. The way I felt was...would I rather have the band break up completely and never perform again due to arguments with Scott, or would I rather have 3 of the remaining members plus a new singer keep releasing material? It was tough to choose (believe me, being an LP fan had no bearing on this) but I went with the latter. I value STP highly, and as much as original STP will always be the best...I decided I'd rather hear "new STP" than no STP at all.

Yes Chester probably won't write the next Core, or Purple or Shangri-La Dee Da but I'm not expecting that. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but for now I'm just keeping an open mind and not placing any huge expectations till I hear the EP :).

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »
31 days.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
I hate how some "fans" act like Scott Weiland was solely responsible for the Stone Temple Pilots sound that we all have known and loved for the past 20 years. STP weren't just amazing because Scott Weiland sounded good. They were amazing also because their instrumentation was beautiful too. Robert, Dean and Eric are all masters of their craft, and to claim STP is nothing without Weiland is not only doing a disservice, but also an insult to the three remaining members of STP who are every bit to thank for the signature STP sound as Scott was. Did Scott write those familiar riffs that introduce "Plush" or "Interstate Love Song" or "Sex Type Thing"? Did he bring that drum sound, and signature bass/guitar sound that lets you know it's an STP track before Scott's vocals ever even grace the track? No. That brilliant blend of instrumental skill is brought to you by Eric, Dean and Robert...three members who are still very much a part of STP and are working to keep that legacy alive.

The band may not be the original lineup, and they may be referred to as "Stone Temple Pilots w/ Chester Bennington" legally, but a good chunk of the heart that made Core and future albums by the band so memorable is still there and beating. The pulse hasn't stopped, STP is not dead, and I have every bit of faith they can continue on and deliver solid music to us fans with Chester at the helm.

Because as much as some people here refuse to believe, Scott was only a piece of what made Stone Temple Pilots so legendary. The band was always so much more than Scott Weiland's touring band and these guys deserve the right to make the music they want to make.

I may have let the cat out of the bag that I'm a Linkin Park fan, but I'm an STP fan first (by a good 10 years before I discovered LP) and believe in Robert, Dean and Eric to the fullest. Scott or no Scott, I haven't given up on the band. I'm excited for High Rise, and I will give the EP the chance it deserves to be given.

So Gore should fire Dave Gahan, get a new frontman, and continue with DM.

Masters of their craft........then Robby, Dean, and Eric don't need the name and could start a brand new band with Chester and be a successful band.[size=78%] [/size]

DM could hire Weiland. They could be Depeche Mode with Scott Weiland.

How long would it take before they realized they couldn't work with him?
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »

If songs aren't meant to be written as instrumentals (like Daisy), and have no lyrics, they're just unfinished songs. Scott brought those songs to life. He wasn't just a part of STP. Yes, although they were all equal, Scott brought something completely different to the table that other singers of this era weren't bringing, because they simply couldn't.

In commercial reality Chester IS saving the guys from losing money, while also keeping them working on fresh ideas. When it comes to Stone Temple Pilots, he was the nail in the coffin without it being his fault at all. This band was never about some KISS-like bullshit about "new era" removing members and their make up. This band ended up doing just that, while fearing that they might be too old to achieve commercial success as a new project.

You can say that these are the same guys that created Core and the rest of the albums, but without Scott, it sounds nothing like STP. "Out Of Time" sounds nothing like STP. That's another reason why these "fans" you speak of are upset about them not changing their name along with the other obvious reason.
If you only knew..

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »

If songs aren't meant to be written as instrumentals (like Daisy), and have no lyrics, they're just unfinished songs. Scott brought those songs to life. He wasn't just a part of STP. Yes, although they were all equal, Scott brought something completely different to the table that other singers of his time weren't bringing because they simply couldn't.

In commercial reality Chester IS saving the guys from losing money, while also keeping them working on fresh ideas. When it comes to Stone Temple Pilots, he was the nail in the coffin without it being his fault at all. This band was never about some KISS-like bullshit about "new era" removing members and their make up. This band ended up doing just that, while fearing that they might be too old to achieve commercial success as a new project.

You can say that these are the same guys that created Core and the rest of the albums, but without Scott, it sounds nothing like STP. "Out Of Time" sounds nothing like STP. That's another reason why these "fans" you speak of are upset about them not changing their name along with the other obvious reason.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:09:18 PM by VelvetLounngeFly »
If you only knew..

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

Yes it does. It has the band's DNA running through it. The progression is there from the first 5 albums via Army of Anyone. What doesn't sound like STP is the self-titled album (or large chunks of it).

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »

Yes it does. It has the band's DNA running through it. The progression is there from the first 5 albums via Army of Anyone. What doesn't sound like STP is the self-titled album (or large chunks of it).

So self titled doesn't have their DNA running through it? Between The Lines is STP, Fast As I Can is STP. The album didnt have their signature blend because they decided to work on it in the worst possible ways without Brendan.

At the end of the day, Jane's isn't the same to me without Eric.. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna go see Jane's with Myles Kennedy singing and recording for them. Would that be considered a new era for Jane's too?
If you only knew..

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »
Stone Temple Pilots is an evolutionary band. The entire point is that each venture sounds new.

People bitched that Days of the Week didn't sound like STP, but it did. People bitched that Between the Lines didn't sound like STP, but it did. People are bitching that Out of Time doesn't sound like STP, but it does.

The only difference is that now they have Chester as a scapegoat.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »

So Gore should fire Dave Gahan, get a new frontman, and continue with DM.

Masters of their craft........then Robby, Dean, and Eric don't need the name and could start a brand new band with Chester and be a successful band.[size=78%] [/size]

Luckily Gore doesn't need to make that decision, cause they both know how to work together, respect one another, the band and the fans.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »
Luckily Gore doesn't need to make that decision, cause they both know how to work together, respect one another, the band and the fans.

That's what it comes down to for me. If Scott respected his band mates, he wouldn't put up a bullshit firewall between himself and them. If he respected the fans, he'd go on stage sober and give 100% to every performance.

If anyone thinks that Scott's recent performances are the best he can do, they are delusional. Only a year ago he actually managed to sing Black Again perfectly on key. There's no reason songs like Kitchenware, Naked Sunday and Big Empty should be out of his range. He just doesn't give a shit about giving it his all.

If he gave a shit about his fans, his band and his music; then I'd feel bad about him being kicked out. But he doesn't, so I don't.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 08:07:16 PM »

That's what it comes down to for me. If Scott respected his band mates, he wouldn't put up a bullshit firewall between himself and them. If he respected the fans, he'd go on stage sober and give 100% to every performance.

If anyone thinks that Scott's recent performances are the best he can do, they are delusional. Only a year ago he actually managed to sing Black Again perfectly on key. There's no reason songs like Kitchenware, Naked Sunday and Big Empty should be out of his range. He just doesn't give a shit about giving it his all.

If he gave a shit about his fans, his band and his music; then I'd feel bad about him being kicked out. But he doesn't, so I don't.
EXACTLY..... that's why you cant blame them for moving on.

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
PS.....excited to go see DEPECHE MODE @ Jones Beach NY on sunday!
lucky for me, my other favorite band has managed to keep its shit together, and withstand the test of time.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2013, 11:39:19 PM »

So self titled doesn't have their DNA running through it? Between The Lines is STP, Fast As I Can is STP. The album didnt have their signature blend because they decided to work on it in the worst possible ways without Brendan.

BTL is STP, just not very good STP imo. FAIC is not STP, it's VR-lite. Not as bad as FKOM though which is an embarrassment.

For me, the "DNA" of STP lies in neatly crafted tunes with smart chord parts, cool lines and subtle, deft, rhythmic interplay. Then you have the genius of SW providing the counterpoint - very rarely would he sing an obvious melody. Often he would go right against the rise or fall of a riff or chord progression, providing a depth and nuance that lifted song ideas to levels that other bands couldn't even understand much less match.

Very little of that is in evidence on S/T - the riffs are mostly weak, the melodies obvious (with hardly any counterpoint save for Peacoat) and the whole thing sounds tired to me. That's not just about production.

Put it this way - listen to All In The Suit... then Out of Time. The DNA is there.

Listen to All In The Suit... then almost anything from S/T. Something's missing imo.

People bitched that Days of the Week didn't sound like STP, but it did.

DotW is classic STP. No question about it.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2013, 01:45:18 AM »

BTL is STP, just not very good STP imo. FAIC is not STP, it's VR-lite. Not as bad as FKOM though which is an embarrassment.

For me, the "DNA" of STP lies in neatly crafted tunes with smart chord parts, cool lines and subtle, deft, rhythmic interplay. Then you have the genius of SW providing the counterpoint - very rarely would he sing an obvious melody. Often he would go right against the rise or fall of a riff or chord progression, providing a depth and nuance that lifted song ideas to levels that other bands couldn't even understand much less match.

Very little of that is in evidence on S/T - the riffs are mostly weak, the melodies obvious (with hardly any counterpoint save for Peacoat) and the whole thing sounds tired to me. That's not just about production.

Put it this way - listen to All In The Suit... then Out of Time. The DNA is there.

Listen to All In The Suit... then almost anything from S/T. Something's missing imo.

People bitched that Days of the Week didn't sound like STP, but it did.

DotW is classic STP. No question about it.

Oh, of course, I mostly agree with all of that, but ou can't expect them to sound like what they've been able to pull off for years during the circumstances they were under. We could have a list of all the negative shit that was going on during the making of that album.

I'm just saying that Scott adds that last bit of swagger that the rest if the band needs when they write. None of the other tunes they've written without Scott have that rock n roll sexiness groove to them. Like I said, to me, it feels like Myles Kennedy is fronting Jane's Addiction and recording an EP with them. How could that even be considered Jane's without what Perry adds?? Even if Eric was still in the band, there's no fucking way in hell that anybody can tell me that it's Jane's Addiction because "the music is there". NO WAY!
If you only knew..