September 20, 2024, 10:42:52 PM

Author Topic: Chester is saving STP  (Read 13894 times)

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Chester is saving STP
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:13:56 AM »
gotta give credit  where its due.....
and after watching the videos of the 1st show with chester...he did an amazing job!
was never much of a LP fan, didn't really care much for chester's voice and sound.
I knew he could do a good job with some of STPs songs, after listening to him sing a few times with camp freddy. But he definitely impressed me!
were would eric dean and rob be without chester, right about now? they all looked so happy taking a bow at the end of Trippin'.
he's doing more for us stp fans, by allowing stp's music to exist, than the original line-up,
and  P.S.......he's fucking doing it well!
in a weird way, watching him sing and perform stp tunes, really makes me appreciate their music.
the music is so great, even when scott isn't performing it.
don't know if that makes any sense

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Chester is saving STP
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:58:26 AM »
Agree +1

The problem a lot of people have, I think, is that they are comparing Chester to Scott, and that is not what this is about. It's about allowing an amazing band have a future that they couldn't have with Scott.

I've always liked Chester as a singer, and I like a lot of LP stuff. Not a lot of the more recent stuff, but some. Even Scott says he carries no ill will toward Chester.

Now, what I really want is for Scott to release an album that just blows our fucking minds. He's a very talented artist, and now is the time to show that once again.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:01:22 AM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 05:31:41 AM »
Agree +1

The problem a lot of people have, I think, is that they are comparing Chester to Scott, and that is not what this is about. It's about allowing an amazing band have a future that they couldn't have with Scott.

I've always liked Chester as a singer, and I like a lot of LP stuff. Not a lot of the more recent stuff, but some. Even Scott says he carries no ill will toward Chester.

Now, what I really want is for Scott to release an album that just blows our fucking minds. He's a very talented artist, and now is the time to show that once again.

I definitely have more faith in Weiland when it comes to recording, if he ever does record the album. His live performances are patchy, but more often than not, his studio work is great.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:01:50 AM »

"It's about allowing an amazing band have a future that they couldn't have with Scott.
Is that really what it's about?

Because, the way I see it is that this "amazing band" was completely reliant on Scott and the STP brand... while Scott wasn't reliant on them.  Scott was able to branch out and do his own thing by himself and with other bands,  while this "amazing band" didn't reach much success with either attempt at a new band.  So, for the sake of the all mighty dollar.... they're trying to squeeze out every last bit of recognition and money from the STP legacy, rather than attempting to use their musical talents to start their own NEW band (with Chester).   Hell, VR did fine as a NEW band with a famous band and a famous singer.... I don't see why the DeLeos and Chester couldn't do the same.               

Oh wait... because it's more about the money than the music or legacy of a great band.

"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »
Right there, STEAK. You hit it. And many, many STP fans who are wanting a name change feel the same way.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 06:15:40 AM »

"It's about allowing an amazing band have a future that they couldn't have with Scott.

Because, the way I see it is that this "amazing band" was completely reliant on Scott and the STP brand... while Scott wasn't reliant on them.  Scott was able to branch out and do his own thing by himself and with other bands,  while this "amazing band" didn't reach much success with either attempt at a new band.  So, for the sake of the all mighty dollar.... they're trying to squeeze out every last bit of recognition and money from the STP legacy, rather than attempting to use their musical talents to start their own NEW band (with Chester).   Hell, VR did fine as a NEW band with a famous band and a famous singer.... I don't see why the DeLeos and Chester couldn't do the same.               

Oh wait... because it's more about the money than the music or legacy of a great band.

Yes. That is what it is about.

VR was successful due to Slash, Duff and Scott...and the mediocre music, I guess.

How successful has Scott been on his own? Not very. Scott is also reliant on an amazing band.

This is a new era of this band. If you want to look at it in a negative light, you're free to that. Personally, I'm happy for all people involved, and Chester is a great fit, IMO.

If it's the name that concerns you, well, the current name is different from the original, so no need for concern.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:22:59 AM by ShaneC »

- Ron Burgundy

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 06:26:12 AM »
Scott Weiland is a brand because lead singers themselves are brands, they get all of the attention.  Instrumentalists rarely get this luxury, unless you're a guitar god type like Eddie Van Halen/Slash/Jimmy Page.

Because of this the DeLeos/Kretz' only known brand is STP, since they themselves are not brands.  They are known as 'the STP guys.'  It is the only thing that people know them as, only hardcore fans know all of their names.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 06:33:34 AM »

VR was successful due to Slash, Duff and Scott...and the mediocre music, I guess.

How successful has Scott been on his own? Not very. Scott is also reliant on an amazing band.

This is a new era of this band. If you want to look at it in a negative light, you're free to that. Personally, I'm happy for all people involved, and Chester is a great fit, IMO.

If it's the name that concerns you, well, the current name is different from the original, so no need for concern.

VR died when Scott left. Mediocre music?  Didn't they win a Grammy?  New era?  Ha!  Playing karaoke. 

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 06:37:58 AM »

VR died when Scott left. Mediocre music?  Didn't they win a Grammy?  New era?  Ha!  Playing karaoke. 

If you think a Grammy means great music, you need to lay off the pipe for a while.

VR were mediocre in my opinion, but that may not be the same for everyone.

- Ron Burgundy

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »

VR was successful dues to Slash, Duff and Scott...and the mediocre music, I guess.

I'm just saying that Scott is a talented singer/songwriter.  Sure, he hasn't reached the same level of success outside of STP, although he did win a Grammy with VR (and they were quite successful in their short run). 

This isn't a new era.... it's a NEW band. Which I'm basing that off the definition of the word "new". 

Regardless of Scott's issues, or who he's playing with these days, he's never stopped making music.  He's a chameleon both in terms of his appearance and more importantly his style of music.  Despite his success with STP, whether he's been with VR or working solo, he's separated his sound and style from that of STP's.  That just further proves that he isn't as reliant on STP or their style.  Unfortunately I can't say the same for the DeLeo's... everything they've done has been very STP'ish.  So once again, given the opportunity to grow and expand as musicians.... they stay right where they've always been, just trying to cash in on the past.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:42:25 AM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 06:49:08 AM »
If Chester is saving STP, he could save Talk Show. But the DeLeos are super talented, so they can have a new band name and not this rock version of Sublime with Rome.

Goodness, if Dave Gahan was out of DM, who'd replace him? It would be the end of DM.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 06:52:58 AM »

If you think a Grammy means great music, you need to lay off the pipe for a while.

[/

Slither is on par with any of STPs top tunes. It's a great song.  You just keep soaking up that karaoke. Cause it's clear you love mediocrity.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 07:03:59 AM »

[/

Slither is on par with any of STPs top tunes. It's a great song.  You just keep soaking up that karaoke. Cause it's clear you love mediocrity.

Contraband gave me faith in rock music again.. I heard Set Me Free on the radio, and had no clue who the fuck it was. I was all happy thinking..."YES!! These guys get it!" Only to find out who it was. Regardless, that album is fucking amazing. It really shows every single color Scott Weiland carries.. More than any Album I've heard him be so versatile besides Shangri.

On topic..

I'm happy to see the guys are getting some love. The videos were a bit heartbreaking to watch. Chester just doesn't fit we'll with them; I don't care how many notes he can hit either... The talent this band carries makes him look like a midget. What made me like AOA so much, was the fact that Patrick fit really well with Robert and Dean.

I'm sure their old critics are probably happy to see this. A band they trashed from day one, who happened to overcome all the odds and wrote countless hits, is now fronted by Chester Bennington.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:12:48 AM by VelvetLounngeFly »
If you only knew..

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

Precisely.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »

Precisely.

I don't understand why anyone would compare the two; There's nothing to even compare.
I just think they needed to get a good songwriter, not some guy that's in with the kids today, but they need that cash I guess.
If you only knew..