September 20, 2024, 03:31:52 PM

Author Topic: Full Bethlehem Sands Show On YouTube!  (Read 11127 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Full Bethlehem Sands Show On YouTube!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
As far as the "not enough deep cuts" argument, I think that's bullshit. They played Pop's Love Suicide, Sex & Violence, Silvergun Superman, Church on Tuesday, Piece of Pie, and Hollywood Bitch. So they dove pretty deep into the obscurities.

I think you missed my point there...
I was referring to in the past few years, them staying away from those.
There's no argument that last night's show had its share of "obscure" songs (for lack of a better word).

My post wasn't in reference to you, Sklashboombash. Several people have posted in other threads that they are disappointed by a "lack" of rarities.

Anyway, is it just me or is Chester now making a concerted effort NOT to be like Scott? He's dancing around the stage less, he's wearing his glasses instead of aviators, he's wearing casual attire. I wonder if he saw the negative reaction online to his "rock persona"?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:03:25 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
There is more than one thing going on here. Bands like Pearl Jam are rare--that is, bands that have a completely revolving set list. By now, if you go see Pearl Jam and you're mad they didn't play Jeremy, you not only haven't paid attention, but you're also in the small minority.

Most bands strike a balance between hits and deep cuts. Most in attendance want to hear the hits and use the new material/deep cuts to go to the bathroom or get a beer. But the hardcore fans keep buying the albums and go to multiple shows, so throwing in and rotating deep cuts keeps them satisfied.

I'd guess Chester knows the STP catalog better than Scott at the moment. That makes a huge difference. Wanna throw out Church on Tuesday and throw in And So I Know for the show tonight? Helps if the singer can not only sing it, but remember it.

It might get boring playing the same songs over and over, but it's also not fun to see the crowd energy die when you play Glide.

I have a feeling the set while change and deep cuts will rotate. Just my feeling.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 10:10:32 PM »
it's also not fun to see the crowd energy die when you play Glide.

Oh man, hearing Glide played live would be like dying and going to heaven for me.

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »
They played a lot of those obscure tunes with Scott over the past few years. Last years tour they constantly played Sin, Hollywood Bitch, Hickory Dichotomy, Still Remains, Meatplow, Black Again, and Tumble in the Rough. So it was not like Scott and the boys failed to dig into the deep cuts.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
There is more than one thing going on here. Bands like Pearl Jam are rare--that is, bands that have a completely revolving set list. By now, if you go see Pearl Jam and you're mad they didn't play Jeremy, you not only haven't paid attention, but you're also in the small minority.

They did a great concert at Vic Theatre in Chicago where they played a 2 hour set of almost all deep cuts and b-sides. The only singles they played were Wishlist, Worldwide Suicide and Why Go. Everyone still knew all the words of course.

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
[size=78%]Wonderful (which Chester actually once performed with Scott btw)[/size]

From all the research we did on this song, it appears Wonderful from 2001 was a studio recording they did with Chester and added in "crowd noise" while editing it. It was advertised as being from a radio performance or something but it's not. There actually was going to be a music video for this released, Scott said it at a FVT 2001 near the end of the tour, but it didn't end up coming out for some reason.

But yes as LP fans we are surprised they aren't playing Wonderful. Or Pretty Penny, which Chester sang acoustic with STP in June.

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Really hope they play Dumb Love this tour
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:11 PM »
The videos are great. Really fucking great.

That's all I have, I think it's enough.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »
Lots of nasty comments.

Yeah, from the same three people. Just like facebook.  ::)

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:22 PM »
This is pretty random but I don't know the STP material well enough at all to comment on this. Does STP play the studio versions of their songs or do they have intros and outros on them sometimes? For example, in the new setlist, does anyone know if they have changed up any of the songs by adding an intro or outro or anything? We're working on our STP live guide for the new shows so any info would be helpful  8)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »
I'm sure Chester does an admirable job of covering STP.  But he's no S Weiland.  There's just a cool factor that Scott has that no one can replicate.  I can't imagine paying to see karaoke STP. 

Its obvious that the Deleos are looking to punch that clock.  No wonder Scott doesn't want to be around them.  They're LAZY.  No drive,ambition,not willing to push that envelope.  Just mooching off of Scott and the songs he created. 

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 11:52:36 PM »
This is pretty random but I don't know the STP material well enough at all to comment on this. Does STP play the studio versions of their songs or do they have intros and outros on them sometimes? For example, in the new setlist, does anyone know if they have changed up any of the songs by adding an intro or outro or anything? We're working on our STP live guide for the new shows so any info would be helpful  8)

I noticed the outro on Pop's Love Suicide has been a bit different.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 12:09:34 AM »
They've added a guitar solo to the end of Church on Tuesday.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 12:19:47 AM »
They played a lot of those obscure tunes with Scott over the past few years. Last years tour they constantly played Sin, Hollywood Bitch, Hickory Dichotomy, Still Remains, Meatplow, Black Again, and Tumble in the Rough. So it was not like Scott and the boys failed to dig into the deep cuts.

It tended to be the same deep cuts, though. How often is it Naked Sunday, Where the River Goes, Army Ants, Pop's Love Suicide, And So I Know, Art School Girl, Adhesive, Ride the Cliche, Seven Caged Tigers, Pruno, Church on Tuesday, No Way Out, Glide, I Got You, MC5, Dumb Love, Coma, Wonderful, Hello It's Late, Regeneration, Bi-Polar Bear, A Song For Sleeping, Long Way Home, Take A Load Off, Hazy Days, First Kiss On Mars, etc...?

I agree they threw in some deep cuts each tour, but they never went too deep. It was always the same handful. I'd like to see them be able to play half of those at any given time on a tour.

I'm sure Chester does an admirable job of covering STP.  But he's no S Weiland.  There's just a cool factor that Scott has that no one can replicate.  I can't imagine paying to see karaoke STP. 

Its obvious that the Deleos are looking to punch that clock.  No wonder Scott doesn't want to be around them.  They're LAZY.  No drive,ambition,not willing to push that envelope.  Just mooching off of Scott and the songs he created. 

Here's the thing--I think the first part used to be true. But performing poorly with a 2nd-rate band is no longer cool. I though Scott was the epitome of cool in the No. 4 era. When I was in high school (Core/Purple/Tiny Music) I was obsessed with how cool he was, By 2000, a sober Scott was at the top of his game. It was less so, but still true during SLDD era.

Now, I don't find anything cool about his performances. They just aren't that good. He hasn't sounded inspired in a long time. The Christmas album was the single biggest STP-related embarrassment I can think of. Happy in Galoshes, while good, is nowhere near 12 Bar Blues.

I don't see how the last part is true. What envelope is Scott pushing? A "Purple to the Core" tour? Adding keyboards to "Do It For the Kids?" Remember, one or both of the DeLeos deserve as much credit for the hits as Scott does. There are a lot of memorable riffs, but more than that Scott writes the melodies to the music--the music inspires them. This doesn't take anything away from him. But the rest of the band is great too. I have a feeling 3 of the EP songs will find rotation once it drops (pretty common now for bands to wait and avoid bootleg recordings of new stuff). Add some deep cuts that have never been played, some hits, and you have a rock show, not a factory job you clock in for.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 12:52:28 AM »
I'm sure Chester does an admirable job of covering STP.  But he's no S Weiland.  There's just a cool factor that Scott has that no one can replicate. 
Of course Chester can't replicate Scott. No one can. And I don't think anyone here will argue with you about that (well, except maybe "Scott=douche" guy, who I see has returned to this forum  ::) ). Anyway, to me, Scott is the whole package, and no one could ever come close to replacing him.

That said, I think Chester is very talented. I haven't watched all of the clips yet (I'm about to), but in the ones I've seen, I think Chester sounds great. I prefer Scott's voice, but I like Chester's sound, too. It's great to hear all of these songs that I love, and I can't wait to see them performed live. The best part is seeing how animated and alive Dean, Robert and Eric look. I love those guys.

Would I like to turn the clock back and have STP the way it was? Absolutely. But I can't. And even though STP with Chester will never replace that, I can still enjoy it -- as something new.