September 20, 2024, 01:26:56 PM

Author Topic: Attend STP's Rehearsal on 9/1/13  (Read 19229 times)

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Attend STP's Rehearsal on 9/1/13
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2013, 02:44:33 AM »
What fucking bullshit.

You people are just fucking bitching to fucking bitch. The dudes singing the songs perfectly, on key, and giving great performances... So you pull some "He doesn't have his heart in it!" shit out of your ass.

So for the record:

Chester highly energetic and dancing around the stage = He's copying Scott.

Chester DOESN'T dance around, "his heart isn't in it."

Jesus man, enough is enough. If you guys are just being contrary for the sake of being contrary, then why the fuck do you even watch these fucking videos? It's obvious that excellent performances aren't enough, because he's giving more heart and passion than I've seen come from Scott since he picked up the bottle, and if you close your eyes you can almost imagine it's the voice of Scott from 10 years ago you're hearing.

But that's not the point, is it? Scott's a golden god of greatness, so it just fucking rubs y'all the wrong way to think that the guy from Linkin Park is ACTUALLY filling his shoes more than adequately.

And the Deleos are completely without blame for STP's downfall.  They shit gold and fart rainbows and can do absolutely no wrong.  Scott is 100% responsible for everything bad that has happened to the band.

The hard truth is there should never have been a reunion, it was clear that Scott wasn't well from the get-go.  I don't think he's been the same since his brother died, the divorce, and leaving VR.  It was obvious that Scott wasn't well in 08 and not fit to tour, but like Scott said recently I suppose the Deleos can be very convincing when there's money involved...which is really all this debacle is about.  It's not about preserving legacy or performing for the fans, its about money and it's been that way with the band for a long time. 

I have seen no evidence to prove that the DeLeos or Eric have ever done anything detrimental to the band. 

You are just as delusional as the Scott apologists.  Please continue talking out of your ass, it's amusing. 

The only major thing I can recall is the Dean/Scott fight from 2002.  But honestly, when have they ever done anything blatantly unprofessional outside of that?

Like I already said.... going on tour for years and making a record when your lead singer obviously isn't well and needs serious professional help and rehabilitation. 

Scott going out on tour and drinking constantly is the unprofessional behavior.

Good god you are ridiculous.  Ok let me spell it out for you.  Scott is an addict.  The rest of the band ignores the fact and still goes on their merry way and bring him on tour anyway to rake in the cash (yes I know Scott made money too). 

Instead of doing the decent and humane thing and making sure he gets help and not being total assholes they bring him on tour after tour then toss him away when they get an opportunity to make...you guessed it.. more money.  Everyone involved is an asshole.  Scott is a alcoholic addict asshole and the rest of the band are just as guilty because they ignored the fact and toured anyway...again for money.

So Scott's the one sabotaging the band, yet he's the victim?

This, I agree with Brett. It's not the responsibility of the band to dig Scott out of the hole he's been digging himself for the past 10 years. The band has tried to help him in the past and remain patient with him...but he keeps falling off the wagon. He's now been fired from two bands he was connected with, for both the same issues.

He's gone on record to say he has a problem in the past, yet he goes out every night...drunk or high on stage, sometimes talking incoherently, and forgetting lyrics to songs HE wrote.

I want to see him get better. As much as I love this current iteration, I wouldn't be upset if the original lineup reunited with a completely sober and excellent sounding Weiland because it would mean Weiland defeated his demons. But his responses publicly since his termination suggest an inability to admit he has a problem, or that he needs to be saved. He absolutely does not acknowledge his addiction is the reason he was fired, and pretends his termination was for other reasons...even though anyone with two ears can hear his recent performances of STP cuts on his solo tour have been a slurred, drunken mess and are absolutely horrid.

Chester in some of your eyes may sound whiny or nasaly. He may in your eyes not sing the tracks quite the same way as Scott, and be dubbed as "STP Karaoke " in your eyes. But honestly? I'd pay the 50-60 bucks a ticket to watch Chester remember the lyrics and do what some of you call a "Scott Weiland imitation" instead of going to a show where I can't be promised Scott will even remember where he is half the time or sing the classics right. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHBeXM5PTsc You call this a great performance? He's off time, off key and sometimes trails off when singing the lyrics. It's horrible, and everyone who acts like Scott can do no wrong should be ashamed they're supporting this. He needs help. He's an addict...who screwed up two bands he was in, and instead people are acting like he's the victim.

What he needs a stint in rehab. Not blind support for his drug and alcohol abuse.

...and yeah I probably just became very unpopular here. Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:46:30 AM by LPAssociationDerek »

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2013, 03:21:03 AM »
Okay, yeah, he screwed up two bands, but VR.....if he's soo bad to begin with, how come it took Weiland to get VR going? And how come they haven't revamped without Scott?  There's a recent interview with either Duff or Slash that said VR played in South Africa in June. Curious how that went.

The_Bagman

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2013, 03:23:37 AM »
Just to throw my 2 cents in.

STP now or since 2002 have past their hey day.

Im just happy to be getting new rock music whether it be from STP with Chester or Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts.

At the end of the day its better then nothing at all.

Think about it, this is the third time its happened. First time we got Talkshow and 12 Bar Blues, Second time we got Velvet Revolver and Army of Anyone. This time around we got STP with Chester and Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts working on an album.

Maybe Scott can come out with a guns blazing rock album to set the record straight that he is still the man.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:25:16 AM by The_Bagman »

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2013, 03:27:06 AM »
Pop's Love Suicide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vOLOTeDj_ms
Piece Of Pie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4xnOwNH9ohI
Trippin': http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JVOKwToN6xA
Church On Tuesday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nB9p8aSzkQo

Let me preface by saying that I don't want to get into the same ol' "who's fault is it?" argument.  Everyone either picked sides or has their opinions (including me), but right now, I'm just looking at the music. 

Also, regardless of my opinion on the band, Scott, their "legacy", and the band's name, I always liked Chester.  I was never a big LP fan, but liked some of his solo stuff,  and enjoyed him singing w/ STP back during the Family Values Tour. With that being said, these rehearsal songs were all over the place.

Pop's Love Suicide:  Sounded good, very Scott like, no complaints there (nice to see it live).

Piece of Pie:
  Here's a song that suits Chester's voice & style very well IMO.  Chester seemed really comfortable with this one (like he's done it before), and with future work with The Band, I think this style is a good direction for them.

Trippin':  Started off good,but then went downhill.... When he started singing that chorus I cringed.  It really sounded worse than all the naysayers could have imagined.  It was just something no fan should ever have to hear.

Church On Tuesday: Was good, nothing special.... adequate at best.

Overall, like I said... trying to avoid that same ol argument....  I'd prefer these guys to focus on new material, but since they are going to be playing STP songs, they really need to choose songs that fit Chester's style & vocal abilities.  I could care less if Chester sounds "like Scott", or whatever, so long as they as a band do the song itself justice.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2013, 04:12:10 AM »
If the rest of the band gave one shit for Scott they would have made sure he got the help he needed before going on a reunion tour and making another album.  It seems like they saw a chance to make some money and be somewhat relevant again, then they kick Scott to the curb after years of touring while being a mess.....you know to make more money.  That is fucking disgusting and why I won't be buying anything from this new band.  For me, STP died with Shangri-La Dee Da.. everything else is just a ghost of what the band used to be.

Yes. Same for some of the fans. If Scott isn't doing what they want him to do, he's suddenly shit. Also, anyone who believes they're playing deep cuts because they care, are delusional. This is a perfect move to try to make sure the loyal fans stay, while grabbing new ones. Don't get me wrong, I understand they have a family to feed...-_-

We've  all heard the interviews about the setlist, so it definitely wasn't Scott's fault. Scott was out there playing deep cuts with the Wildabouts and made it clear that he wanted to play those songs with STP... While Dean claimed that people take bathroom breaks for those, and rather play the hits.
The same people supporting this, are the same people who bitched about Grean fucking up the deep cuts, so what makes it wrong for anyone to not like the way Chester sings these songs? I honestly could care less if Scott didnt play STP songs at his solo songs. Not because he's out there to ruin them on purpose like some claim, but I just rather hear STP playing STP. If I go to see Scott solo, I wanna hear HIS songs... If I wanna see the new line up performing, I'd much rather hear them play a ton of new material, without them telling me that this is STP.
That is the only way I can accept this whole mess, and really wish the court would settle for. None of them should be able to promote themselves as STP without being STP.
In a perfect world IMO...

Both parties are only allowed to cover 4 songs from their catalogue.
Neither are allowed to use STP to promote their gigs unless they're playing together.

Since they love money so much, maybe that would make them get their shit together.

Dean wasn't going to say "Our lead singer is fucked up so he can't sing the deep cuts well and a lot of the time he doesn't show up to rehearsals period."

From talking to Robert it sounds like there were a lot of songs the band wanted to perform from 2008-2012 but couldn't because Scott wasn't capable.  STP isn't the Wildabouts, that band has no problem going out there with Scott and butchering STP deep cuts.

If Jerry Cantrell, Sean Kinney, and Mike Inez have the right to use the Alice In Chains name then the DeLeos and Kretz have the right to use the STP name.

So he's going to say that they'd rather play the hits?

Layne is dead.

It's the same thing.  Jerry, Sean, and Mike though just waited for Layne to die instead of doing it while he was alive, but Cantrell was already planning the reunion just a year or so after Layne's death.  They had it on their minds though.  There's a 1999 interview with Sean Kinney where he says he and Jerry didn't want to release another AIC album without touring (he said "We're not fucking Steely Dan") and said he and Jerry were weighing their options.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2013, 06:37:10 AM »
If the rest of the band gave one shit for Scott they would have made sure he got the help he needed before going on a reunion tour and making another album.  It seems like they saw a chance to make some money and be somewhat relevant again, then they kick Scott to the curb after years of touring while being a mess.....you know to make more money.  That is fucking disgusting and why I won't be buying anything from this new band.  For me, STP died with Shangri-La Dee Da.. everything else is just a ghost of what the band used to be.

Yes. Same for some of the fans. If Scott isn't doing what they want him to do, he's suddenly shit. Also, anyone who believes they're playing deep cuts because they care, are delusional. This is a perfect move to try to make sure the loyal fans stay, while grabbing new ones. Don't get me wrong, I understand they have a family to feed...-_-

We've  all heard the interviews about the setlist, so it definitely wasn't Scott's fault. Scott was out there playing deep cuts with the Wildabouts and made it clear that he wanted to play those songs with STP... While Dean claimed that people take bathroom breaks for those, and rather play the hits.
The same people supporting this, are the same people who bitched about Grean fucking up the deep cuts, so what makes it wrong for anyone to not like the way Chester sings these songs? I honestly could care less if Scott didnt play STP songs at his solo songs. Not because he's out there to ruin them on purpose like some claim, but I just rather hear STP playing STP. If I go to see Scott solo, I wanna hear HIS songs... If I wanna see the new line up performing, I'd much rather hear them play a ton of new material, without them telling me that this is STP.
That is the only way I can accept this whole mess, and really wish the court would settle for. None of them should be able to promote themselves as STP without being STP.

Neither are allowed to use STP to promote their gigs unless they're playing together.

Since they love money so much, maybe that would make them get their shit together.

Dean wasn't going to say "Our lead singer is fucked up so he can't sing the deep cuts well and a lot of the time he doesn't show up to rehearsals period."

From talking to Robert it sounds like there were a lot of songs the band wanted to perform from 2008-2012 but couldn't because Scott wasn't capable.  STP isn't the Wildabouts, that band has no problem going out there with Scott and butchering STP deep cuts.

If Jerry Cantrell, Sean Kinney, and Mike Inez have the right to use the Alice In Chains name then the DeLeos and Kretz have the right to use the STP name.

Layne is dead.

It's the same thing.  Jerry, Sean, and Mike though just waited for Layne to die instead of doing it while he was alive, but Cantrell was already planning the reunion just a year or so after Layne's death.  They had it on their minds though.  There's a 1999 interview with Sean Kinney where he says he and Jerry didn't want to release another AIC album without touring (he said "We're not fucking Steely Dan") and said he and Jerry were weighing their options.

I understand what you're saying Brett, trust me, I reaaaally reaaaally do. I don't want anyone to think I don't want the boys to he successful at all. I want them to be out there making music, but just close the book on this whole fucking thing.

I also appreciate what they're calling themselves letting the fans know Scott isn't there.

With that said, I just feel like no matter what, this just isn't STP. To those who believe the boys are just trying to carrying on their legacy, while one destroys it, I'm sorry... But I'd much rather see them close the book on this thing and continue on making music as who they are now. I don't know if the right word is respect, since Scott has no idea what that is at times, but at least for the legacy. The four of them created this, not just the three of them. No matter who isn't in the band, it just isn't STP, and shouldn't be called STP for any other matter. It's simple, I don't get why anyone seems to have a problem with this. It's in good taste to the fans, and it just closes the book on what they've created for us.
Again, I do understand the whole "why let somebody  ruin it if the rest are willing to continue" but this was about the four of them.

It's not my dislike for Chester "I won't join VR because I respect Scott Weiland, but I'll sure as hell join his original band"Bennington.

Maybe, just maybe, the guys already feel that Scott is sorta dead. Scott Weiland stopped being the same man after the mess he went through during his VR glory days. Losing his brother, losing his wife, his mother getting cancer, and relapsing.. That's a lot of shit. Maybe the Scott they know today is completely different to the one they built this legacy with. At the end of the day, I don't feel like they should give up on him. The right thing to do would have been to all sit down and say to each other, that if Stone Temple Pilots isn't working, then it should close shop. Period. None of them are allowed to use the band in any way for cash unless they're together, and anyone who does, gets a lawsuit. Move on with new musical ventures. If that were the case, you could bet your ass they'd try to make this work. I don't buy the whole "We told Scott to sober up otherwise he'd be fired" while they were milking his falling on drumsets ass during the reunion. All of this should had been taking care of before getting back out there, but no. As the phone call said "Hey Scott, wanna make a million bucks?". That says it all; it's all about the fucking money with these guys. They all ruined what could have been a bright future if they had done things the right way from the start.

If you only knew..

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2013, 06:41:28 AM »
^That right there.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2013, 06:50:47 AM »

Layne is dead.

I understand what you're saying Brett, trust me, I reaaaally reaaaally do. I don't want anyone to think I don't want the boys to he successful at all. I want them to be out there making music, but just close the book on this whole fucking thing.

I also appreciate what they're calling themselves letting the fans know Scott isn't there.

With that said, I just feel like no matter what, this just isn't STP. To those who believe the boys are just trying to carrying on their legacy, while one destroys it, I'm sorry... But I'd much rather see them close the book on this thing and continue on making music as who they are now. I don't know if the right word is respect, since Scott has no idea what that is at times, but at least for the legacy. The four of them created this, not just the three of them. No matter who isn't in the band, it just isn't STP, and shouldn't be called STP for any other matter. It's simple, I don't get why anyone seems to have a problem with this. It's in good taste to the fans, and it just closes the book on what they've created for us.
Again, I do understand the whole "why let somebody  ruin it if the rest are willing to continue" but this was about the four of them.

It's not my dislike for Chester "I won't join VR because I respect Scott Weiland, but I'll sure as hell join his original band"Bennington.

Maybe, just maybe, the guys already feel that Scott is sorta dead. Scott Weiland stopped being the same man after the mess he went through during his VR glory days. Losing his brother, losing his wife, his mother getting cancer, and relapsing.. That's a lot of shit. Maybe the Scott they know today is completely different to the one they built this legacy with. At the end of the day, I don't feel like they should give up on him. The right thing to do would have been to all sit down and say to each other, that if Stone Temple Pilots isn't working, then it should close shop. Period. None of them are allowed to use the band in any way for cash unless they're together, and anyone who does, gets a lawsuit. Move on with new musical ventures. If that were the case, you could bet your ass they'd try to make this work. I don't buy the whole "We told Scott to sober up otherwise he'd be fired" while they were milking his falling on drumsets ass during the reunion. All of this should had been taking care of before getting back out there, but no. As the phone call said "Hey Scott, wanna make a million bucks?". That says it all; it's all about the fucking money with these guys. They all ruined what could have been a bright future if they had done things the right way from the start.

Definitely respect your opinion and agree with many points.  My view is I'm just not too hung up on the name, and am just happy to see them making music with a talented singer and playing some great old STP songs as well.  I just want the DeLeos and Eric to get the attention they deserve, and at this point it's never going to happen without the STP name.  That is the only brand they're known for.  Scott Weiland himself is a brand, and also has Velvet Revolver under his belt.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
As the phone call said "Hey Scott, wanna make a million bucks?". That says it all; it's all about the fucking money with these guys. They all ruined what could have been a bright future if they had done things the right way from the start.

Scott has always made his intentions clear, when it came to the music, and especially with money as of late.  The DeLeos act like they're all about "the music", when it's clearly all about the money with them...

-Reunion tour with just "the hits" (I remember reading some interview where one of them mentioned playing hits instead of deeper tracks to appeal to more people.)

-Self Titled:  They self produced (to save money), then gave the whole album a cheap, pop-music feel to it (likely in hopes of cashing in.)

-Trying to cling to the STP name.  Sure, Scott is the most marketable, but that's b/c he's done more to make it so (for better or worse!).  The rest of the band never really put themselves out there, or were that successful without Scott.  Whether or not you agree with the band using the STP name, it's purely a marketing & money move.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:08:49 AM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »

You are just as delusional as the Scott apologists.  Please continue talking out of your ass, it's amusing. 

It's funny that you accuse everybody else of talking out of their ass, but everything you have said is 100% supposition as well. You have no more idea of what went down, or who tried to help/screw who than anyone else. Yet you keep loudly proclaiming everything you say is fact, and anybody who disagrees is talking rubbish..

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »

Instead of doing the decent and humane thing and making sure he gets help and not being total assholes they bring him on tour after tour then toss him away when they get an opportunity to make...you guessed it.. more money. 
THEY bring him on tour after tour? So THEY had complete control over Scott, and he had no say in the matter at all? Again, Scott's an addict, not an imbecile.

I can't wait to see the classic Lazy Divey response to this. Don't bother, Lazy Divey. I'll make it for you:

"No he's not. YOU'RE the imbecile."

Ooooh ouch.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »

I hope Chester doesn't use the megaphone. If he does, then he'll be trying to be Scott instead of just being himself.  The megaphone is a Weiland thing, not an STP/VR thing.
Scott Weiland did not invent the megaphone. I believe he actually started using it for singing after seeing someone else do it. Why can't Chester do it, too? It's just one more example of how Chester cannot win no matter what he does. If he doesn't use a megaphone, he'll be "putting his own spin" on the songs, and they won't sound right. If he uses a megaphone, he'll be "trying too hard to emulate Scott."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:39:49 PM by HelloItsLate »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
Being a big fan of Crooners, I always assumed Scott got the idea from Rudy Vallée. The megaphone was his trademark.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:58:46 PM by Pingfah »

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:47 PM »

I hope Chester doesn't use the megaphone. If he does, then he'll be trying to be Scott instead of just being himself.  The megaphone is a Weiland thing, not an STP/VR thing.
Scott Weiland did not invent the megaphone. I believe he actually started using it for singing after seeing someone else do it. Why can't Chester do it, too? I just it's just one more example of how Chester cannot win no matter what he does. If he doesn't use a megaphone, he'll be "putting his own spin" on the songs, and they won't sound right. If he uses a megaphone, he'll be "trying too hard to emulate Scott."

I hope he uses the megaphone. That's how certain STP songs are performed, with a megaphone.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:33:50 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2013, 04:40:27 PM »
Where to begin:

First off, I was totally disgusted when I heard about STP bringing Chester in to take over for Scott. But after hearing Chester, on the STP songs, he sounds better than Scott has in God knows how long. You all know how I have been hating on STP lately.

Scott's solo shows are a joke. I'm not sure how the STP shows with Chester will be but I can promise they'll start on time and play more than an hour and they'll sound pretty good. STP of 10-15 years ago? No. Better than the STP we have had the last 5 years? Yes.

All that being said, the new STP EP is cheesy. I had the opportunity to hear it this past weekend. It sounds exactly what you'd think it would sound like... It's STP with Chester trying to sound like Scott. The lyrics are generic. The only thing memorable are some of Dean's solo's. Eric's drumming is boring and Robert's bass lines aren't anything special. The production was really very good and it sounded better than the last STP record, IMO.

I'll be curious to see what the consensus is once the tour starts and people hear the EP. I think more people will dig the live show but will be disappointed with the EP, but that's my opinion.

I don't buy that you heard the EP.  If there's something specific from it you can remember that ends up being true I'll believe you.

There really wasn't anything that stood out to me. I was sent to a private soundcloud page that had it hosted to stream. I got it from my contact who then sent it to me.

Not sure if it was being closely monitored or not. I streamed it from my phone and when I went back to listen on my PC, I no longer had access.

I am trying to get access again. My contact hasn't gotten back to me yet.

As I said before, the music is very bland. It sounds more like some of the stuff on the Army of Anyone record than anything STP has done. Chester didn't sound like Chester. He sounded like a guy trying to sound like Scott, which is what was disappointing to me. Thinking about it, there may have been a song where he was using the megaphone, but it's possible it was just vocal effects. Hard to tell from my phone.

The drumming was very Kretz. Very solid, basic drums. There is a Dean solo in every track and he's the one that seemingly stood out. I remember saying, that's a nice riff, and that's a nice solo.

Hopefully I can get a better listen from a PC soon. I was told promo will really start for this in the next couple weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if it leaked in the next couple weeks once a private stream is made more available. To my knowledge, there aren't any promo CD's being made...
Take it.