October 02, 2024, 11:33:01 AM

Author Topic: STP should retire instead of moving foward with Chester Bennington  (Read 12756 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP should retire instead of moving foward with Chester Bennington
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 07:09:46 AM »

I'd be too. But the Deleos insist on touring on the hits that Scott wrote. They're not out there touring an EP, they're playing a greatest hits tour AGAIN.  I'm not arguing Scott should be out performing or writing a new album with the Deleos as they seemed uninspired the past year or so. My stance is they should take time off, recharge batteries and come back inspired.

100% agreed.

The DeLeo's pushed the "greatest hits" set list b/c it would attract more people to buy tickets.  With the tension in the band, monotonous "hits" set lists, and non-stop touring, Scott's voice/body can't take that kind of abuse... then when you factor in his substance abuse issues, it was really a ticking time bomb.  The deck was stacked against him, so instead of ganging up on him, the band should really have taken another break.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »

I'd be too. But the Deleos insist on touring on the hits that Scott wrote. They're not out there touring an EP, they're playing a greatest hits tour AGAIN.  I'm not arguing Scott should be out performing or writing a new album with the Deleos as they seemed uninspired the past year or so. My stance is they should take time off, recharge batteries and come back inspired.

100% agreed.

The DeLeo's pushed the "greatest hits" set list b/c it would attract more people to buy tickets.  With the tension in the band, monotonous "hits" set lists, and non-stop touring, Scott's voice/body can't take that kind of abuse... then when you factor in his substance abuse issues, it was really a ticking time bomb.  The deck was stacked against him, so instead of ganging up on him, the band should really have taken another break.

100% agreed.

I think Scott has stacked the deck against himself

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »
I think Scott has stacked the deck against himself

He sure did in the past; but not so much recently.  It seems like some massive debt, that no matter what he does, he can't seem to get out of it.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »

While the definition of a "greatest hits" set might be elusive, as different people might define it differently, I am not sure the DeLeos are performing a greatest hits set right now, at least in the strictest sense.

Of the four songs that charted from Core, they are playing two. Of the five singles that charted on Purple, they are playing three. Of the five singles that charted from Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop, they're playing two. Of the four singles that charted from No. 4, they are playing two. Of the two singles that charted from Shangri-la Dee Da, they are playing one. Of the one single that charted from Thank You, they're playing zero. Of the three singles that charted from Stone Temple Pilots, they're playing zero.

That's 10 songs plus Out of Time, which is new, so I don't count that as a "greatest hit," even if it performing well at rock radio. So just over 60% of the set is "greatest hits," which isn't bad, considering they aren't playing Between the Lines and one of the songs is a new song.

I've seen you say a few times now that they're playing the songs that "Scott wrote." It bothers me a bit. Have you been in a band or a songwriting partnership? Are you well versed in the complex chordings and structures that Rob and Dean write and play for the instrumental portions of the songs? Did you know Robert wrote the main melody for Interstate Love Song? You realize that the music came first, right?

Scott and Robert wrote Down, Big Bang Baby, Interstate Love Song, Dead & Bloated, Piece of Pie, Sex & Violence, and Hollywood Bitch

Scott and Dean wrote Big Empty, Pop's Love Suicide, Sour Girl, Church on Tuesday

Scott, Robert, and Dean wrote Silvergun Superman, Wicked Garden

Scott and Eric wrote Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Scott, Dean, and Eric wrote Sex Type Thing

Scott, Robert, Dean, and Eric wrote Vasoline

Can I get a fact checker?  I think they're serving up the same recipe as recent memory...a couple of new tunes paired up with the staples.  No setlist changes, no spontaneity.  Same banter in between songs at different shows.  I just do not see much "moving on" as Rob has said in recent interviews.  I see generic, prepared responses that lack authenticity when I read them.  Then their actions do not follow the spirit of their remarks.  I haven't seen this with Scott in a very long time.  Before VR, the guy was doing speedballs and you'd hear some pretty scary updates.  Over the last 10 years it feels like Scott has gotten a handle on things vs pre VR.  He stays busy and tries to keep things fresh.  A book, a cover album, a xmas album, VR, STP, a clothing line, a double album, touring different songs and different renditions of songs.  Keeping things moving.  The stuff he puts out there for fans to digest sound real, heartfelt, and considerate.  He obviously has been incapable of balancing all of the related personalities involved but it feels Scott is more in control of his life than I can remember.       

The interviews Scott was giving before the Deleos blindsided him sounded what we were all feeling.  S/T was generally underwhelming/uninspired and they were going through the motions with greatest hit setlists at performances. 

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 10:22:10 PM »

While the definition of a "greatest hits" set might be elusive, as different people might define it differently, I am not sure the DeLeos are performing a greatest hits set right now, at least in the strictest sense.

Of the four songs that charted from Core, they are playing two. Of the five singles that charted on Purple, they are playing three. Of the five singles that charted from Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop, they're playing two. Of the four singles that charted from No. 4, they are playing two. Of the two singles that charted from Shangri-la Dee Da, they are playing one. Of the one single that charted from Thank You, they're playing zero. Of the three singles that charted from Stone Temple Pilots, they're playing zero.

That's 10 songs plus Out of Time, which is new, so I don't count that as a "greatest hit," even if it performing well at rock radio. So just over 60% of the set is "greatest hits," which isn't bad, considering they aren't playing Between the Lines and one of the songs is a new song.

I've seen you say a few times now that they're playing the songs that "Scott wrote." It bothers me a bit. Have you been in a band or a songwriting partnership? Are you well versed in the complex chordings and structures that Rob and Dean write and play for the instrumental portions of the songs? Did you know Robert wrote the main melody for Interstate Love Song? You realize that the music came first, right?

Scott and Robert wrote Down, Big Bang Baby, Interstate Love Song, Dead & Bloated, Piece of Pie, Sex & Violence, and Hollywood Bitch

Scott and Dean wrote Big Empty, Pop's Love Suicide, Sour Girl, Church on Tuesday

Can I get a fact checker?  I think they're serving up the same recipe as recent memory...a couple of new tunes paired up with the staples.  No setlist changes, no spontaneity.  Same banter in between songs at different shows.  I just do not see much "moving on" as Rob has said in recent interviews.  I see generic, prepared responses that lack authenticity when I read them.  Then their actions do not follow the spirit of their remarks.  I haven't seen this with Scott in a very long time.  Before VR, the guy was doing speedballs and you'd hear some pretty scary updates.  Over the last 10 years it feels like Scott has gotten a handle on things vs pre VR.  He stays busy and tries to keep things fresh.  A book, a cover album, a xmas album, VR, STP, a clothing line, a double album, touring different songs and different renditions of songs.  Keeping things moving.  The stuff he puts out there for fans to digest sound real, heartfelt, and considerate.  He obviously has been incapable of balancing all of the related personalities involved but it feels Scott is more in control of his life than I can remember.       

The interviews Scott was giving before the Deleos blindsided him sounded what we were all feeling.  S/T was generally underwhelming/uninspired and they were going through the motions with greatest hit setlists at performances. 
Blindsided? Seriously? Do we honestly believe that?...that deserves its own thread!

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2013, 12:06:40 AM »

I always wonder what people expect. The Pearl Jams of the world are rare. Most bands either play the same set or the same set with a few songs rotating. Most bands try and strike a balance between album tracks and singles/radio songs. Most bands lean a little radio song heavy, others throw in a few more fan favorites.

Setlist.fm has a thing called "average setlist" separated by year. If you look at the last 13 years, STP's average setlists over that time share roughly 9 songs in common to the current tour. Since the current tour is 17 songs, nearly half of the set this time around differs mostly from the last 13 years, at least when you consider how often a song is played.

They're playing a new song, a song they haven't ever played before (Church on Tuesday), Pop's Love Suicide (last played in 1997), and Sex & Violence (last played in 2000), and they're NOT playing a song that's pretty much been in every setlist since their first album came out (Plush)--and we're still complaining? What type of setlist would make you happy, then? The kind that wouldn't be of interest to most of the fans that attend these shows?

The last 2 times Scott was in control was in 1999/2000--after jail--until early 2001 when he started using again while recording SLDD. He then got worse and worse until he hooked up with Duff. That lasted a little while, until he slowly spiraled again. Since 2008, he's been anywhere from pretty bad to alright. But it's a far cry from those two eras.

I disagree that the DeLeos were the only uninspired ones on self titled. I think Scott--who Doug admittedly says is lazy when it comes to recording--is just as guilty of that. In fact, I think the music in many cases is much better than what Scott does with it. Just listen to Samba Nova, About a Fool, which came with the iTunes version. About a Fool especially is the band firing on all cylinders.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:14:19 AM by lovemachine97 »

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2013, 12:45:32 AM »

Just listen to Samba Nova, About a Fool, which came with the iTunes version. About a Fool especially is the band firing on all cylinders.

Well, of course those tracks were from '01. It's incredible how good they were then and what they could have been. How the mighty have fallen.

"Tomorrow" from the new EP is a bit of an epic apparently. It had better be good. Otherwise, it's all about the memories imo.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2013, 01:29:00 AM »

I always wonder what people expect. The Pearl Jams of the world are rare. Most bands either play the same set or the same set with a few songs rotating. Most bands try and strike a balance between album tracks and singles/radio songs. Most bands lean a little radio song heavy, others throw in a few more fan favorites.

Setlist.fm has a thing called "average setlist" separated by year. If you look at the last 13 years, STP's average setlists over that time share roughly 9 songs in common to the current tour. Since the current tour is 17 songs, nearly half of the set this time around differs mostly from the last 13 years, at least when you consider how often a song is played.

They're playing a new song, a song they haven't ever played before (Church on Tuesday), Pop's Love Suicide (last played in 1997), and Sex & Violence (last played in 2000), and they're NOT playing a song that's pretty much been in every setlist since their first album came out (Plush)--and we're still complaining? What type of setlist would make you happy, then? The kind that wouldn't be of interest to most of the fans that attend these shows?

The last 2 times Scott was in control was in 1999/2000--after jail--until early 2001 when he started using again while recording SLDD. He then got worse and worse until he hooked up with Duff. That lasted a little while, until he slowly spiraled again. Since 2008, he's been anywhere from pretty bad to alright. But it's a far cry from those two eras.

I disagree that the DeLeos were the only uninspired ones on self titled. I think Scott--who Doug admittedly says is lazy when it comes to recording--is just as guilty of that. In fact, I think the music in many cases is much better than what Scott does with it. Just listen to Samba Nova, About a Fool, which came with the iTunes version. About a Fool especially is the band firing on all cylinders.

I'm not complaining about setlist.  I really am not invested in this version of STP and will not go and see them play this karaoke.  Not a knock on Chester as I'm sure he's singing the songs well by all accounts.  Just not interested.  Scott is not an innocent party in this at all, I just disagree with the actions of the Deleos.  I think they did the reunion justice and then stumbled w/ S/T and it got old really quick.  It happens.  I don't think it's a reason to oust Scott.  The Deleos did it for the same reason VR did it.  Money.  Why put up with a diva if you don't have to.  You can make the same $$ w/out him.  I get it.  I just thought it was a FU to old time fans like myself.  Only problem is there aren't many hard core STP fans.  They'll be able to play festivals, casinos, and county fairs for the next 20 years.  Sad. 

I think you make some good points.  9-10 songs sound about right. I've heard all of these songs live except for Out of Time.  So I'm a bit skewed but I love the facts!     

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »
This was the original STP's last non-festival setlist on Sept. 20 of last year.  Can't believe it has been a year already.  Obviously, the Deleos are playing a lot of different tracks
New Setlist 
Down   (New)   
Big Bang Baby (New)
Vasoline
Dead and Bloated (New)
Out of Time (Totally New)
Silvergun Superman (New)

Church on Tuesday
(Totally New)
Big Empty
Sour Girl(New)
Interstate Love Song
Pop's Love Suicide(Totally New)
Hollywood Bitch
Sex Type Thing
Sex and Violence (Totally New)
Wicked Garden
Piece of Pie(New)
Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Old Setlist (9/20/12)
Sin
Vasoline
Crackerman
Hollywoo d Bitch
Black Again
Still Remains
Big Empty
Hickory Dichotomy
Meat plow
Interstate Love Song
Between The Lines
Plush
Tumble In The Rough
Big Bang Baby
Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Unglued
Sex Type Thing

So there are 6 new songs that weren't played a year ago, while there are 4 totally new songs that are absolute rarities when played live.  That's a total of 10 songs out of 17 that many fans haven't heard regularly.  Yeah, I know that "Dead and Bloated" and "Piece of Pie" were played regularly by Scott and the boys in some recent tours, but the Deleo's are definitely mixing up.  With such a huge catalog of hits, it has to be difficult to not include many of the hits, and they really aren't.  And remember, they have to include some hits, they are trying to retain some of their image. And I won't be surprised that as the EP drops, they will play all of those songs.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:29:56 AM by DeadAndNotForSale »
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 02:01:10 AM »
26 Days.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2013, 02:09:31 AM »
a xmas album

The stuff he puts out there for fans to digest sound real, heartfelt, and considerate. 
Real, heartfelt, and considerate? You have got to be kidding me. That Christmas album is the worst, most thrown-together piece of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of listening to.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:21:42 AM by HelloItsLate »

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2013, 02:24:35 AM »
a xmas album

The stuff he puts out there for fans to digest sound real, heartfelt, and considerate. 
Real, heartfelt, and considerate? You have got to be kidding me. That Christmas album is the worst, most thrown-together piece of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of listening to.
lol

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »
a xmas album

I meant his interviews and comments post VR and especially since the announcement.

Xmas album was a risk........nevertheless, hard to defend.

NoWayOut87

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 03:54:17 AM »
Just finished listening to the EP and my immediate thoughts were the title to this topic