October 02, 2024, 11:21:55 AM

Author Topic: STP should retire instead of moving foward with Chester Bennington  (Read 12743 times)

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP should retire instead of moving foward with Chester Bennington
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »
Personally, I no longer give any fucks about the name. Yeah I've been a solid fan for 21 years...still no longer care.

On with the new Era. That's all we've got.

27 Days...

Hope Scott makes a great solo record, and soon.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:26:12 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »
Personally, I no longer give any fucks about the name. Yeah I've been a solid fan for 21 years...still no longer care.

27 Days...

I think you were in an abused relationship before with AIC because the Deleos are giving us old time fans a bitch slap.  Some of us don't give a fuck and some of us refuse to accept and are walking out the door. 

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 12:13:39 AM »

27 Days...

I think you were in an abused relationship before with AIC because the Deleos are giving us old time fans a bitch slap.  Some of us don't give a fuck and some of us refuse to accept and are walking out the door. 

At this point, I think I'd rather just see what they can all do apart. They simply are not happy as that old band we grew up with. I know the name is something that sucks for a lot of fans, but I don't really see it as a big thing anymore.

At least we can always go see a Scott solo show. That'll never happen with Layne.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 12:34:12 AM »

the Deleos are giving us old time fans a bitch slap.  Some of us don't give a fuck and some of us refuse to accept and are walking out the door. 

Old time fan my ass. C-ya.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 12:50:43 AM »

How many times did you see STP live since their reunion in 2008?  Did you know or see the band in their prime?  Was there a particular show that you went to that was just bad?  Can live performers have off or bad nights?   I'm just curious since you brought it up. 

These guys being millionaires means that they don't need the money, so it's not like supporting artists who would otherwise not be able to make music. They're essentially disregarding 20 years worth of STP fans, b/c they don't need their support anymore. These guys could easily have started a new band w/ Chester, but went with STP out of greed (just like why they self produced S/T, and most likely why they dragged out their "greatest hits" tour).

In the end, I honestly don't care if they're only doing it for money, but when they pretend that it's all about the music, then I call bullshit.  I liked S/T, it had some good songs, but the production felt and sounded cheap... so along with everything else, I can't help but feel like money has trumped the music for some of these guys, and that's not cool.   I know Scott has his money troubles, but despite everything he's always been more about the music than the money.

We have no idea how much they are worth, nor how much of it is liquid. People with lots of money also tend to live similarly to the rest of the world--paycheck to paycheck. I'm not saying I know Dean's financial situation, but he is divorced with a kid and it's not cheap without a label to put on a tour, not to mention to fight a lawsuit with your former lead singer. Dean and Robert have another source of income that Eric doesn't--royalties.

Anyway, Scott, Dean, Eric, and Robert haven't made a decision based purely on music for a really long time. Then again, neither has almost any band. That's because their art is their job. They need to make money. So while commerce may not 100% drive the art, it's intertwined.

STP may have reunited because of an offer of money, they sure didn't put out a new record for money. And they sure didn't do Army of Anyone for money, nor Talk Show. They did it because they were over Scott (for the time being) and they hoped and hoped it would make money. It just never has.

I'd bet that Talk Show and Army of Anyone broke even or cost money when all was said and done.

Not sure how Scott gets off as being more about the music. He has a fashion line and wrote a book and needs to keep a certain income coming in (isn't in $60k a month?) just to break even, yet he's doing things for the music? Wouldn't he NOT be doing a Purple to the Core tour, but a tour of his favorite songs that he wants to do? Wouldn't he be recording a new album, not touring? No--he needs to make money, and the money is in touring behind a tour that name checks his most famous, hit-filled albums, not releasing another solo record.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »

STP may have reunited because of an offer of money, they sure didn't put out a new record for money. And they sure didn't do Army of Anyone for money, nor Talk Show. They did it because they were over Scott (for the time being) and they hoped and hoped it would make money. It just never has.

I'd bet that Talk Show and Army of Anyone broke even or cost money when all was said and done.

Yep, not forgetting that AoA had to buy their album back from Columbia so that put them behind the 8-ball from the start.

Also, all the Talk Show and AoA comparisons are pretty irrelevant - STP consisted of 4 members throughout. Scott was never fired. He has been now, it's totally different.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 01:19:44 AM »

How many times did you see STP live since their reunion in 2008?  Did you know or see the band in their prime?  Was there a particular show that you went to that was just bad?  Can live performers have off or bad nights?   I'm just curious since you brought it up. 

These guys being millionaires means that they don't need the money, so it's not like supporting artists who would otherwise not be able to make music. They're essentially disregarding 20 years worth of STP fans, b/c they don't need their support anymore. These guys could easily have started a new band w/ Chester, but went with STP out of greed (just like why they self produced S/T, and most likely why they dragged out their "greatest hits" tour).

In the end, I honestly don't care if they're only doing it for money, but when they pretend that it's all about the music, then I call bullshit.  I liked S/T, it had some good songs, but the production felt and sounded cheap... so along with everything else, I can't help but feel like money has trumped the music for some of these guys, and that's not cool.   I know Scott has his money troubles, but despite everything he's always been more about the music than the money.

We have no idea how much they are worth, nor how much of it is liquid. People with lots of money also tend to live similarly to the rest of the world--paycheck to paycheck. I'm not saying I know Dean's financial situation, but he is divorced with a kid and it's not cheap without a label to put on a tour, not to mention to fight a lawsuit with your former lead singer. Dean and Robert have another source of income that Eric doesn't--royalties.

Anyway, Scott, Dean, Eric, and Robert haven't made a decision based purely on music for a really long time. Then again, neither has almost any band. That's because their art is their job. They need to make money. So while commerce may not 100% drive the art, it's intertwined.

Not sure how Scott gets off as being more about the music. He has a fashion line and wrote a book and needs to keep a certain income coming in (isn't in $60k a month?) just to break even, yet he's doing things for the music? Wouldn't he NOT be doing a Purple to the Core tour, but a tour of his favorite songs that he wants to do? Wouldn't he be recording a new album, not touring? No--he needs to make money, and the money is in touring behind a tour that name checks his most famous, hit-filled albums, not releasing another solo record.

Scott did the Purple Core tour because the Deleos weren't up for it for whatever reason.  He's on record before any of the shit went down that's what he was hoping to do.  Then the Deleos pull out that Scott refused.  Who are we to believe?  I dunno anymore. 

I just know Scott has been keeping busy doing all kinds of music since SLDD, some of it awesome, some of it OK, some it not so good.  But he's been out being creative doing all kinds of different stuff. I don't know that Deleos are doing other than leaning on the catalog which they've been doing for quite some time now and when the security blanket of the catalog is removed from them they're significantly less interesting.       

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 01:35:58 AM »

when the security blanket of the catalog is removed from them they're significantly less interesting.       

What? Since they only serve to back SW in the first place (according to you), how can they become less interesting?

You really need to think more before you make this BS up. And weren't you leaving in a hissy fit anyway?

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 02:37:13 AM »

Yep, not forgetting that AoA had to buy their album back from Columbia so that put them behind the 8-ball from the start.

Also, all the Talk Show and AoA comparisons are pretty irrelevant - STP consisted of 4 members throughout. Scott was never fired. He has been now, it's totally different.

I only bring them up in the sense that it's pretty much been implied, if not said, that if Talk Show had been successful, the need to reunite STP would not have been as great.

I think this ties in as to why the collaboration with Chester is called STP w/Chester, not something new.

Scott did the Purple Core tour because the Deleos weren't up for it for whatever reason.  He's on record before any of the shit went down that's what he was hoping to do.  Then the Deleos pull out that Scott refused.  Who are we to believe?  I dunno anymore. 

I just know Scott has been keeping busy doing all kinds of music since SLDD, some of it awesome, some of it OK, some it not so good.  But he's been out being creative doing all kinds of different stuff. I don't know that Deleos are doing other than leaning on the catalog which they've been doing for quite some time now and when the security blanket of the catalog is removed from them they're significantly less interesting.       

They said they were up for it, but rehearsals showed that there were songs on Core that Scott could no longer sing.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:24:27 AM by lovemachine97 »

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 03:19:05 AM »
Im not sure if we'll ever really know the truth about these issues..... who wanted to tour vs who didn't? who wanted to perform the greatest hits vs who didn't? who wanted to change up the setlist vs who didn't?

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 04:15:39 AM »
It's interesting that the DeLeo's are accused of being "all about the money" and of making "cash grabs" yet Scott seems to get a free pass. Last I checked, the band recorded a single (and gave it away for free), and recorded an EP and then went on tour without the backing of a label. All of those things cost money. So do professional sound and lighting, which the band apparently purchased for this tour.

Meanwhile, there's no evidence that Scott has recorded anything with the Wildabouts. The show I attended had barebones house lighting and sound. I doubt that his band is highly paid ( the drummer quit rather publicly before rejoining). Apparently there was no rehearsal (hired musicians are paid to rehearse) as well as no sound check (couldn't hear a note Jeremy played all night).

All of the above points to corner-cutting to save $$. Scott himself claimed onstage (I believe it was Boston) that his tour bus keeps breaking down and he had no clean clothes to wear. Doug indicated on Facebook that the band stayed at a Motel 6 on the most recent leg of the tour.

But its all about the music, right? So what happened to "Art School Girl" and other deep cuts? Replaced by more marketable tunes from STP's two most commercially successful albums. Seems like the band is spending money in an attempt to put out a quality product while Purple to the Core is a low-budget cash-grab.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 06:12:57 AM »

It's interesting that the DeLeo's are accused of being "all about the money" and of making "cash grabs" yet Scott seems to get a free pass. Last I checked, the band recorded a single (and gave it away for free), and recorded an EP and then went on tour without the backing of a label. All of those things cost money. So do professional sound and lighting, which the band apparently purchased for this tour.

Meanwhile, there's no evidence that Scott has recorded anything with the Wildabouts. The show I attended had barebones house lighting and sound. I doubt that his band is highly paid ( the drummer quit rather publicly before rejoining). Apparently there was no rehearsal (hired musicians are paid to rehearse) as well as no sound check (couldn't hear a note Jeremy played all night).

All of the above points to corner-cutting to save $$. Scott himself claimed onstage (I believe it was Boston) that his tour bus keeps breaking down and he had no clean clothes to wear. Doug indicated on Facebook that the band stayed at a Motel 6 on the most recent leg of the tour.

But its all about the music, right? So what happened to "Art School Girl" and other deep cuts? Replaced by more marketable tunes from STP's two most commercially successful albums. Seems like the band is spending money in an attempt to put out a quality product while Purple to the Core is a low-budget cash-grab.

Scott isn't necessarily getting a free pass, but he's been open about money the whole time. So it's less hypocritical coming from him.  In all his side projects outside of STP, he's done so without STP, their music, or brand.  He's been vocal about his money troubles, which have been around well before this latest breakup... but he's never resorted to touring as something he's not... unlike the rest of the band.

If Scott cared more about the money than the music, then HE'D have been touring alone as "STP" the whole time.  Instead, he's toured with STP, and on his off time worked on his solo material (solo album, christmas album, covers album).  All the years Scott has played solo shows, he's always made it clear that it's a "Scott Weiland" show, and NOT an STP show.  I'm sure he alienated plenty of STP fans that way, but it was more about the music.  Based on interviews, the only reason Scott is doing this "STP" related Purple at the Core show is b/c STP never managed to do their 20th anniversary tour (Maybe he'll play 'Art School Girl' in three years for Tiny Music's 20th anniversary).  Of ALL the solo tours/shows he's done in his career, this is the ONLY ONE that promoted the music of STP.  Scott is purely doing what he enjoys, and TRYING to make money doing it himself... the key word being HIMSELF.   I don't think his Christmas or covers album made much money, but it was about the music. 

The DeLeo's had two attempts at commercial success, and now they've given up and went back to wring money out of the STP name.  It was the least risky, and potentially most profitable move.  They must have learned their lesson from doing a shit job self producing STP's last record, but then again, they went with what seems to be a shitty cash grab style producer for this one....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:21:21 AM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 06:28:52 AM »

27 Days...

At this point, I think I'd rather just see what they can all do apart. They simply are not happy as that old band we grew up with. I know the name is something that sucks for a lot of fans, but I don't really see it as a big thing anymore.

At least we can always go see a Scott solo show. That'll never happen with Layne.

I'd be too. But the Deleos insist on touring on the hits that Scott wrote. They're not out there touring an EP, they're playing a greatest hits tour AGAIN.  I'm not arguing Scott should be out performing or writing a new album with the Deleos as they seemed uninspired the past year or so. My stance is they should take time off, recharge batteries and come back inspired.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »

I only bring them up in the sense that it's pretty much been implied, if not said, that if Talk Show had been successful, the need to reunite STP would not have been as great.

I think this ties in as to why the collaboration with Chester is called STP w/Chester, not something new.

They said they were up for it, but rehearsals showed that there were songs on Core that Scott could no longer sing.

Really?  Cause he's out there singing the songs. And from the show I went to at Viper Room (not a YouTube video), He sounded great.  Plus, Scott is known for skipping rehearsls. So I call BS if that is the reason the Deleos are using.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 07:07:38 AM »
I'd be too. But the Deleos insist on touring on the hits that Scott wrote. They're not out there touring an EP, they're playing a greatest hits tour AGAIN.  I'm not arguing Scott should be out performing or writing a new album with the Deleos as they seemed uninspired the past year or so. My stance is they should take time off, recharge batteries and come back inspired.

While the definition of a "greatest hits" set might be elusive, as different people might define it differently, I am not sure the DeLeos are performing a greatest hits set right now, at least in the strictest sense.

Of the four songs that charted from Core, they are playing two. Of the five singles that charted on Purple, they are playing three. Of the five singles that charted from Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop, they're playing two. Of the four singles that charted from No. 4, they are playing two. Of the two singles that charted from Shangri-la Dee Da, they are playing one. Of the one single that charted from Thank You, they're playing zero. Of the three singles that charted from Stone Temple Pilots, they're playing zero.

That's 10 songs plus Out of Time, which is new, so I don't count that as a "greatest hit," even if it performing well at rock radio. So just over 60% of the set is "greatest hits," which isn't bad, considering they aren't playing Between the Lines and one of the songs is a new song.

I've seen you say a few times now that they're playing the songs that "Scott wrote." It bothers me a bit. Have you been in a band or a songwriting partnership? Are you well versed in the complex chordings and structures that Rob and Dean write and play for the instrumental portions of the songs? Did you know Robert wrote the main melody for Interstate Love Song? You realize that the music came first, right?

Scott and Robert wrote Down, Big Bang Baby, Interstate Love Song, Dead & Bloated, Piece of Pie, Sex & Violence, and Hollywood Bitch

Scott and Dean wrote Big Empty, Pop's Love Suicide, Sour Girl, Church on Tuesday

Scott, Robert, and Dean wrote Silvergun Superman, Wicked Garden

Scott and Eric wrote Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Scott, Dean, and Eric wrote Sex Type Thing

Scott, Robert, Dean, and Eric wrote Vasoline