October 02, 2024, 01:25:57 PM

Author Topic: STP should retire instead of moving foward with Chester Bennington  (Read 12760 times)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP should retire instead of moving foward with Chester Bennington
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 01:28:48 AM »
I support the new era STP. I've been a fan since day 1. Bought Core when it came out, when I was 14, and loved them ever since.

The only person to ruin the STP legacy is Weiland. I say that even though he may be my favorite frontman.

The future STP with Chester does have a ton of supporters. It would be great if Scott gave a shit, but he doesn't...so see ya, Scott!

Also, as for the facebook STP page, can any of those "fans" name 10 songs off the last 3 albums combined, without looking it up?

Thank you for posting this. One of the few voices of reason here. I too am a supporter of the new era STP. Like Shane I have been an STP fan since the early 90's Core days and
been following ever since. I bought the Core album when I was 12. The rest of the STP guys have been playing the waiting around game for 20 years. They waited around then Talk Show came up. Again waited around AoA popped up. At this point in their
career as they have stated but maybe some people don't want to read it that their BS meter has run out. Will they keep waiting around and around? No. Time to move on without Scott. Plain and simple really. Amazing that people are
so quick to judge before the EP has even been released. Not one single individual in the world can say that they have been in their shoes being in the band, dealing with Scott etc. Just accept that they have moved on. Also apparent that people
have a hard time with change. Let this EP get released, have it be out for a little while then you can start your mud slinging at Chester. I've always been a LP fan myself so I think he would just fit right in. He may not have the artistic swag
that Scott Weiland has but we all know that Chester can rock and he can do those soft rockers as well. I support the guy 100%. I also support Scott 100% with his solo career and look forward to his album as well. So in time we shall see which one
sells the most right? So to all the negative comments toward STP/Chester.....Keep Calm and Carry On!

8)

Same boat.  Following since Core.  Totally different conclusion for me, though.  Scott is probably all the things people are saying.  But I've never witnessed a better frontman and it's not even close.  For me, Scott is irreplaceable.  May I add for the past decade, he's been his most prolific.  Between STP, VR, and solo the guy has been producing for the fans non stop.  I truly believe he's in it for the fulfillment it provides him and everything else comes after including $$$, his bandmates happiness, ect.  He has his flaws but I've always supported him and he's always come through with great music and a kick ass live performance.   

If I knew that things could be great with Weiland and STP once again, I would take that over any other situation. Weiland is a one-of-a-kind performer.

The thing is if this didn't happen, there might not be any STP music again. Scott simply does not care.

I think I'll wait for the EP before making my final decision but, for now, I like what I've heard so far.

They've been saying STP is dead since Purple.........now it is. 

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 03:11:14 AM »
I support the new era STP. I've been a fan since day 1. Bought Core when it came out, when I was 14, and loved them ever since.

The only person to ruin the STP legacy is Weiland. I say that even though he may be my favorite frontman.

The future STP with Chester does have a ton of supporters. It would be great if Scott gave a shit, but he doesn't...so see ya, Scott!

Also, as for the facebook STP page, can any of those "fans" name 10 songs off the last 3 albums combined, without looking it up?

Thank you for posting this. One of the few voices of reason here. I too am a supporter of the new era STP. Like Shane I have been an STP fan since the early 90's Core days and
been following ever since. I bought the Core album when I was 12. The rest of the STP guys have been playing the waiting around game for 20 years. They waited around then Talk Show came up. Again waited around AoA popped up. At this point in their
career as they have stated but maybe some people don't want to read it that their BS meter has run out. Will they keep waiting around and around? No. Time to move on without Scott. Plain and simple really. Amazing that people are
so quick to judge before the EP has even been released. Not one single individual in the world can say that they have been in their shoes being in the band, dealing with Scott etc. Just accept that they have moved on. Also apparent that people
have a hard time with change. Let this EP get released, have it be out for a little while then you can start your mud slinging at Chester. I've always been a LP fan myself so I think he would just fit right in. He may not have the artistic swag
that Scott Weiland has but we all know that Chester can rock and he can do those soft rockers as well. I support the guy 100%. I also support Scott 100% with his solo career and look forward to his album as well. So in time we shall see which one
sells the most right? So to all the negative comments toward STP/Chester.....Keep Calm and Carry On!

8)

Both of you guys sum up my feelings.  Let's at least listen to the EP

I too have been a fan since core came out. I support the new stp era. I wonder if the fans that have followed the band for more years are also the fans that are more supportive of the Deleos & kretz moving on????.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 01:19:34 AM »

8)

Same boat.  Following since Core.  Totally different conclusion for me, though.  Scott is probably all the things people are saying.  But I've never witnessed a better frontman and it's not even close.  For me, Scott is irreplaceable.  May I add for the past decade, he's been his most prolific.  Between STP, VR, and solo the guy has been producing for the fans non stop.  I truly believe he's in it for the fulfillment it provides him and everything else comes after including $$$, his bandmates happiness, ect.  He has his flaws but I've always supported him and he's always come through with great music and a kick ass live performance.   

If I knew that things could be great with Weiland and STP once again, I would take that over any other situation. Weiland is a one-of-a-kind performer.

The thing is if this didn't happen, there might not be any STP music again. Scott simply does not care.

I think I'll wait for the EP before making my final decision but, for now, I like what I've heard so far.

But this isn't STP.  STP has ceased to exist and we now have STP w/ Chester.  If you want more STP music, then you'd be completely vs. this version. 

And Scott does care.  He's said it in every statement he's made since the Deleos made this awful decision. 

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 03:17:26 AM »
Chris, you seem to overlook the fact that Scott may say he cares about STP, but Scott Weiland does not care about Scott Weiland. At this point of Scott doesn't die I'll be happy.
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

DeadandTrippin92

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 05:38:53 AM »
I'm convinced Scott Weiland can't die.

He'll be still be touring  in 3013

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 05:50:52 AM »

8)

Both of you guys sum up my feelings.  Let's at least listen to the EP

I too have been a fan since core came out. I support the new stp era. I wonder if the fans that have followed the band for more years are also the fans that are more supportive of the Deleos & kretz moving on????.

Not this guy. I don't even want to think about the thousands of dollars I've spent seeing this band. I'm a Deleo/Kretz supporter, but not under these circumstances. I'll buy the EP to support them, but probably won't listen too much if the rest of the songs are as watered down VR like "Out Of Time".

Also, I don't understand why people constantly feel the need to say that they've been fans since day one as if others who weren't alive don't have enough credibility with their opinions. A shit ton of us on here have been fans since day one, that doesn't mean we have to fully support this.
If you only knew..

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 06:57:45 AM »

Also, I don't understand why people constantly feel the need to say that they've been fans since day one as if others who weren't alive don't have enough credibility with their opinions. A shit ton of us on here have been fans since day one, that doesn't mean we have to fully support this.

I can't speak for all "day one" fans, but for me there's USUALLY a distinction between the casual fans, and the fans who have been there since the earlier days.   When I go to STP or Scott solo shows, there's always a small group of what I like to consider "real fans", who seem to want to see their favorite musicians play (that's why they're there, it's about the music, it's pure).  Then there's an abundance of "casual fans" who just came to drink beer, listen to "the hits", and relive some nostalgic former glory from their younger days going to shows (these are the type of people that go to a Scott show and chant "PLUSH" or "STP"; or they're at an STP show belligerently singing along to Core/Purple songs, then boo'ing or getting mad whenever STP plays something newer than Tiny Music.)

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of real fans who got into STP later, and they're almost more impressive in some ways since they sorted through shitty modern music to find the diamond in the rough that is STP.  On the other side, some newer fans have never seen STP pre-2008, so they've only experienced a shell of what STP was really like live.  So, being around STP, living through their ups & downs, and experiencing them first hand throughout doesn't make someone a "better" fan, but I'd say it lends way more credibility than someone with less experience.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:59:42 AM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »
27 days.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »
A couple of things.  First off whoever said Scott cares, he doesn't.  He has made that abundantly clear to everyone.  So he says he cares, yeah and STP is putting out a compilation album and VR is putting out an album and going on tour  ::)   

I love Scott just like all of you or I wouldn't be here.  He is the most complete front man ever!   The man's studio work is out of this world and his performances from NO.4 to SLDD all the way through VR were nothing short of amazing.  He gave 110%!  Well, I don't know what shows Chris Pepper is watching, but I just pray that he shows up on time, isn't drunk, sings on key and doesn't forget too many lyrics.  WTF?  We all head over to youtube to see if he completed all these tasks a day after his solo shows.  That should tell us everything we need to know right there.

I saw the boys on the first stop of this tour with Chester and it was a great concert!  The band seemed relaxed and having the time of their lives.   I highly doubt Chester will come close to Scott on this new EP, but who cares?  He seems to have made the boys remember what it was like to have fun playing music and performing the songs that they love!  That put the biggest smile on my face during the concert.     

Can't we all be happy for Robert, Dean and Eric that they are having fun playing music again?  That they are lucky enough to have someone who genuinely cares about the history of this band and has the utmost respect for them?  It's not about us, it's about them.  They deserve that from us and they deserve STP!

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
A couple of things.  First off whoever said Scott cares, he doesn't.  He has made that abundantly clear to everyone.  So he says he cares, yeah and STP is putting out a compilation album and VR is putting out an album and going on tour  ::)   

I love Scott just like all of you or I wouldn't be here.  He is the most complete front man ever!   The man's studio work is out of this world and his performances from NO.4 to SLDD all the way through VR were nothing short of amazing.  He gave 110%!  Well, I don't know what shows Chris Pepper is watching, but I just pray that he shows up on time, isn't drunk, sings on key and doesn't forget too many lyrics.  WTF?  We all head over to youtube to see if he completed all these tasks a day after his solo shows.  That should tell us everything we need to know right there.

I saw the boys on the first stop of this tour with Chester and it was a great concert!  The band seemed relaxed and having the time of their lives.   I highly doubt Chester will come close to Scott on this new EP, but who cares?  He seems to have made the boys remember what it was like to have fun playing music and performing the songs that they love!  That put the biggest smile on my face during the concert.     

Can't we all be happy for Robert, Dean and Eric that they are having fun playing music again?  That they are lucky enough to have someone who genuinely cares about the history of this band and has the utmost respect for them?  It's not about us, it's about them.  They deserve that from us and they deserve STP!

Regardless of what anyone here says or thinks, nobody knows exactly how much Scott really cares about STP or any past ventures. So, nothing is "abundantly clear".

I'm sure Chester put on a great show.  He looked & sounded great in MOST of the videos and clips I've heard so far.  As far as"who cares?" whether Chester will come close to Scott on the new EP.... how about STP fans?  how about people who've followed and supported STP for years?  Fuck them, right?  They just bought records, singles, merchandise, tickets, and stuck by STP through thick & thin... basically paving the way for STP's success and longevity.  Obviously many of us are divided on this part of the issue, but saying it's about them isn't entirely accurate. 

Look, I'm glad Robert, Dean, and Eric want to continue making music, but that doesn't mean I should be happy for these millionaires while they bastardize the last twenty years of "STP" for marketing purposes.  If anything, I'd be happier for them making new music, while not tarnishing something else in the process.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »

Regardless of what anyone here says or thinks, nobody knows exactly how much Scott really cares about STP or any past ventures. So, nothing is "abundantly clear".

I'm sure Chester put on a great show.  He looked & sounded great in MOST of the videos and clips I've heard so far.  As far as"who cares?" whether Chester will come close to Scott on the new EP.... how about STP fans?  how about people who've followed and supported STP for years?  Fuck them, right?  They just bought records, singles, merchandise, tickets, and stuck by STP through thick & thin... basically paving the way for STP's success and longevity.  Obviously many of us are divided on this part of the issue, but saying it's about them isn't entirely accurate. 

Look, I'm glad Robert, Dean, and Eric want to continue making music, but that doesn't mean I should be happy for these millionaires while they bastardize the last twenty years of "STP" for marketing purposes.  If anything, I'd be happier for them making new music, while not tarnishing something else in the process.

I don't see what them being millionaires has to do with anything.  Should they stop caring about money because they have money?   Honestly man it is their lives and their music, not ours.  So yeah, it kind of is all about them.  As for tarnishing STP's legacy, I just don't buy it.  Nothing will ever take away what they did with Scott.  If you say it ruins it for you, then I understand.  To me, the last 4 years or so with Scott is what turned me off to STP.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »

I don't see what them being millionaires has to do with anything.  Should they stop caring about money because they have money?   Honestly man it is their lives and their music, not ours.  So yeah, it kind of is all about them.  As for tarnishing STP's legacy, I just don't buy it.  Nothing will ever take away what they did with Scott.  If you say it ruins it for you, then I understand.  To me, the last 4 years or so with Scott is what turned me off to STP.

How many times did you see STP live since their reunion in 2008?  Did you know or see the band in their prime?  Was there a particular show that you went to that was just bad?  Can live performers have off or bad nights?   I'm just curious since you brought it up. 

These guys being millionaires means that they don't need the money, so it's not like supporting artists who would otherwise not be able to make music. They're essentially disregarding 20 years worth of STP fans, b/c they don't need their support anymore. These guys could easily have started a new band w/ Chester, but went with STP out of greed (just like why they self produced S/T, and most likely why they dragged out their "greatest hits" tour).

In the end, I honestly don't care if they're only doing it for money, but when they pretend that it's all about the music, then I call bullshit.  I liked S/T, it had some good songs, but the production felt and sounded cheap... so along with everything else, I can't help but feel like money has trumped the music for some of these guys, and that's not cool.   I know Scott has his money troubles, but despite everything he's always been more about the music than the money.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:34:53 PM by STEAK »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
Are you guys ever going to get tired of just saying the same thing over and over again?

We all know where everybody stands now, you're all just repeating yourselves ad nauseam. People should just get back to worrying about music, not all this pathetic bullshit.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »

How many times did you see STP live since their reunion in 2008?  Did you know or see the band in their prime?  Was there a particular show that you went to that was just bad?  Can live performers have off or bad nights?   I'm just curious since you brought it up. 

These guys being millionaires means that they don't need the money, so it's not like supporting artists who would otherwise not be able to make music. They're essentially disregarding 20 years worth of STP fans, b/c they don't need their support anymore. These guys could easily have started a new band w/ Chester, but went with STP out of greed (just like why they self produced S/T, and most likely why they dragged out their "greatest hits" tour).

In the end, I honestly don't care if they're only doing it for money, but when they pretend that it's all about the music, then I call bullshit.  I liked S/T, it had some good songs, but the production felt and sounded cheap... so along with everything else, I can't help but feel like money has trumped the music for some of these guys, and that's not cool.   I know Scott has his money troubles, but despite everything he's always been more about the music than the money.

This is about the best thing I've read on this board in weeks. 

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
Are you guys ever going to get tired of just saying the same thing over and over again?

We all know where everybody stands now, you're all just repeating yourselves ad nauseam. People should just get back to worrying about music, not all this pathetic bullshit.

There's nothing else to talk about until this five song EP comes out next month, on my birthday, like a punch in the dick.

But, people keep making the same threads, or comments that stir up the same ol shit, and since I like to debate the topic, it's a bad mix.