September 30, 2024, 03:26:37 PM

Author Topic: Random Info on Bennington  (Read 7671 times)

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
Random Info on Bennington
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »
Seeing as he is officially the new lead singer, I figured we would have a thread entirely devoted to Chester Bennington and his interests.  I personally don't know much about the guy and much of the stuff that I'm reading on the interwebs might be rubbish.

I would like to know a bit more about him and what he is into.  I remember we had an influx of new fans from the Linkin Park camp and if you are all still lurking, I need you guys. 

Random fact(?) I found on him is that he has a computer phobia much like Scott, and tries his best to stay away from them. 

Feel free to add random tidbits of info on him. 
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Random Info on Bennington
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:01:17 AM »
Just like Scott, he was sexually abused as a child.
He was in the band called Grey Daze:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvL22YEja5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCpayRrArD8

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B99KLxXPGdk
He was just 15 years old.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
"Random fact(?) I found on him is that he has a computer phobia much like Scott, and tries his best to stay away from them. "

That fact may stem from the fact that a fan of his hacked a lot of his accounts on-line a few years ago. I think it was his e-mail and bank and stuff, it got pretty crazy find the story and read it, it's fucked.

This goes to show, you should never use your middle name as your password.....

SilverLeaf

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »

Hi all, a Linkin lurker here ;)

I think it's nice some of you guys are showing some interest in Chester, so I though I'd give some of my Bennington knowledge!

Like Tyrant said, Chester was sexually abused as a child from about 7 to 12 years old by an older male 'friend'. His family never knew about it until his father read it in an early LP interview. At age 11 his parents got divorced and his mother left, leaving Chester to basically raise himself (his father was a detective who was at work a lot). At this time he got heavily into drugs and alcohol. He continued to struggle with his addictions until 2006/2007.

In 2005 he divorced from his first wife and lost all his money and the custody of his son. After that he pretty much hit rock bottom and would often lock himself in his closet to just sit there in the dark with a bottle of alcohol. During this time he also met his current wife Talinda Bennington. At this point his addiction was so bad that he would often have seizures and Talinda would have to calm him down. One night she just had a complete meltdown and called all the guys in Linkin Park and asked them to come over to the house. They had an intervention with Chester the same night and he went to rehab after that. He had a few small relapses after that, but I think by the end of 2007 he was pretty much clean and sober and has been ever since.

And yes he did have a stalker in 2006/2007. Devon Townsed hacked into his e-mail and Verizon accounts and obtained a lot of his records and photo's that he took with his phone. She would also call him and his wife during the night and threaten her. She even listened to his voice mail messages to figure out were he was and look him up. After a year I think, she was arrested and was sent to jail for two years.

Nowadays Chester seems to be in a really good place. He is still happily married to Talinda and about a year ago they had twin girls, giving him a total of 6 kids (4 boys, 2 girls)! He's a pretty active guy, he likes to snowboard, play basketball, soccer and golf. He's obviously (looking at his body) very interested in tattoos and co-owns six tattoo parlors called 'Club Tattoo' with his ex-Grey Daze bandmate Sean Dowdell. He also loves to cook and said that if he wasn't in a band he would like to be a cook.

Overall he seems to be a really nice, down-to-earth, sometimes crazy, guy with a good sense of humor. If you want to know more of what he's like and you aren't too much of an LP hater you should watch some LPTV episodes on youtube. It follows LP on tour and in the studio and usually has a lot of Chester in it.

That was a long post.. I hope that gives you a bit of an idea of what Chester's like. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:15:10 PM by SilverLeaf »

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
Wow, that third youtube link Tyrant posted where Chester is only 15 is awesome. Reminds me a lot of Alice In Chains
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »
After that he pretty much hit rock bottom and would often lock himself in his closet to just sit there in the dark with a bottle of alcohol. During this time he also met his current wife Talinda Bennington.

Decent sized closet then!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:02:11 PM by Pingfah »

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »

Hi all, a Linkin lurker here ;)

Hi, thanks for the great post. Really interesting stuff. I like Chester and I’m looking forward to his contributions. I’m also very excited about the future of my favorite band of all time. And yes, I am still a hard-core Weiland fan as well. Unlike many here, I don’t see the two as being mutually exclusive.

Welcome to BE! Please don’t be put off by the whiny Scott fanboys on this site.

SilverLeaf

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
Decent sized closet then!

Well he's a pretty skinny guy, I bet he'd fit in my closet and it's not that big! haha

Hi, thanks for the great post. Really interesting stuff. I like Chester and I’m looking forward to his contributions. I’m also very excited about the future of my favorite band of all time. And yes, I am still a hard-core Weiland fan as well. Unlike many here, I don’t see the two as being mutually exclusive.

Welcome to BE! Please don’t be put off by the whiny Scott fanboys on this site.

Thank you! I'm glad you're so open minded. Although I hate seeing people bash Chester, I can kind of understand the anger and frustration. I would be pretty upset to if someone were to replace Chester in LP. I just hope that in time they'll see that he's is a great guy who doesn't really deserve the hate he's getting right now.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
I don't think there's any reason to be down about the abuse, people with negative opinions are far more likely to have their say on sites like Facebook than people with positive opinions.

Ultimately you're talking about a few thousand bitter people with bitter things to say, they are a drop in the ocean compared to the potential audience. Chester's popularity will be quantified by ticket sales and album sales, not by whiny fucktards on the internet.

He's getting a pretty good reception round here anyway, considering we are all true hardcore STP fans.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
Thanks Silverleaf! I'm looking forward to seeing Chester with STP. I think many people are underestimating Chester's singing and performance abilities. I'm not a big LP fan but I respect them and their accomplishments. I'm hoping LP fans will see why STP has been a favorite of Chester's for many years.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »
Appreciate your post silverleaf!  Welcome to the forums! 

Was wondering if I could ask another question.  How much of an impact does Chester have on the creative process while in the studio?  Do you believe that since he knows STP's "sonic blueprint" he will keep to himself and listen to what he Deleo's want and just write the lyrics or do you think he will want to gain a foothold in the studio to make this "his" band.  I'm curious as to how much of a part you see him taking in the creative process based on the past albums he has completed.  Thanks.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

SilverLeaf

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »
Thanks Silverleaf! I'm looking forward to seeing Chester with STP. I think many people are underestimating Chester's singing and performance abilities. I'm not a big LP fan but I respect them and their accomplishments. I'm hoping LP fans will see why STP has been a favorite of Chester's for many years.
Your welcome! I'm sure they already see, in fact I've seen some people on the LP boards say that they hope that Chester's involvement with STP will have some influence on his writing with LP :)

Appreciate your post silverleaf!  Welcome to the forums! 

Was wondering if I could ask another question.  How much of an impact does Chester have on the creative process while in the studio?  Do you believe that since he knows STP's "sonic blueprint" he will keep to himself and listen to what he Deleo's want and just write the lyrics or do you think he will want to gain a foothold in the studio to make this "his" band.  I'm curious as to how much of a part you see him taking in the creative process based on the past albums he has completed.  Thanks.
Thank you! LP made it a point in 2006, when they were writing Minutes to Midnight, to make the writing process as democratically as possible. So for example, when Mike and Chester have written lyrics they give them to the other guys in the band. When one guy in the band doesn't like the lyrics, they try to figure out what he doesn't like about it and then they rewrite it. And they all vote together on what songs are candidates for the album and which should be dropped. So basically in Linkin Park every member can have as much influence as the other.

That being said, I know that Mike is ultimately the one that has the most influence on LP's sound. Chester himself has said that Mike is the biggest reason LP sounds the way it does. And since Mike and Chester are still the best of friends, I don't think that Chester minds at all that Mike has a bigger influence on the music than he does. He just doesn't have that big of an ego.

EDIT: I just realized that I didn't really answer your question about how much of an impact Chester actually has on the creative process. Truthfully, it's hard to say.. there are six guys in the band and two frontmen, it's kind of difficult to know who wrote what. Like I said Mike has the biggest influence, I think Chester or their guitarist Brad comes after him. But some might disagree with me on that.

So in conclusion: I don't think Chester will try to make STP 'his' band. He will probably want it to be a democratic writing process like in LP. I also think that since STP is one of his favorite bands since he was a kid, he would not want to completely change the sound or whatever. I think he will stay true to the STP legacy.

I hope that answers your question a bit. Off course it's just what I think.. maybe Chester secretly has a huge ego and will dominate STP! But I don't think so  ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:44:01 PM by SilverLeaf »

SilverLeaf

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
Btw, if there are any other LP lurkers on here: correct me if you think I'm wrong about something!

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »
SilverLeaf - thanks very much for your contributions.

Please be assured that there are plenty of fans who want the best for STP with Chester. The haters are, without question, idiots. There's not much else to say until we have more new music but thanks again for your input which is very much appreciated.  8)

SilverLeaf

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »

SilverLeaf - thanks very much for your contributions.

Please be assured that there are plenty of fans who want the best for STP with Chester. The haters are, without question, idiots. There's not much else to say until we have more new music but thanks again for your input which is very much appreciated.  8)
Thank you and you're welcome! It's nice to see some STP fans open for change, I hope it will be a good change for you guys.