September 30, 2024, 05:19:38 AM

Author Topic: Scott Weiland vs Stone Temple Pilots: Both Touring Live, Singing Same Songs  (Read 5337 times)

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I agree that they have gained in credibility over the years, but that article has a lot of nonsense in it. Scott looked like Eddie Vedder in the Plush video? WTF are they talking about?

Since when did Pearl Jam "fade away"? That's ridiculous to claim that in comparison with STPs career. Pearl Jam have consistently put out solidly selling, well received albums for the last 2 decades. Their sales may have gone down a long way from those of Ten through Vitalogy, but they have remained stronger than STPs, and they have much greater public awareness than STP.

And no, to a fan that has seen STP and Scott many times, his not turning up, or being blasted is not "part of the fun". There's nothing rebellious about Scott's behaviour, he's a middle aged man slowly killing himself because he is too weak to stop. It's sad, not rebellious, and definitely not fucking charming.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
As I sit here listening to HiG right now, let me just preface my post by saying I’m not trying to defend Scott’s performances – believe me, I went to a show in the Spring and was incredibly disappointed. But I also know that clearly, nobody will play STP like STP. I wonder how this solo tour would be critiqued if it wasn’t an STP set-list. If he (and this band of his) was out performing songs from HiG and 12BB and a cover or two would they pull it off more convincingly? Because then, if when playing the occasional STP & VR, they could fall behind the defensive curtain of not being required to play the songs note for note because it would be “their interpretation”.

I just wonder.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Do you guys think Scott is being honest when he says he is 12 songs into a new album with that god-awful garage band? Based on his current state (as reported by people who have attended his recent shows), I’m thinking this is highly unlikely. I mean, if he really had 12 new songs ready, why doesn’t he perform at least one or two at a show? The way I see it, to regain the faith of the few fans he has left, he needs forget about performing Purple to the Core (poorly) and just move on. Playing a new song would be a start.

He just seems to be in a downward spiral, growing more and more delusional every day. Comparing the Wildabouts to STP? And this comment: “I'm surprised (STP) did what they did without checking the legality of it, how they just decided to go and use the (STP) name and go and hire another singer and start playing shows with a name that I still am an owner of.” Without checking the legality of it? Come on, Scott, they hired a lawyer and filed a complaint. And you think they’re playing shows with a name that you are still an owner of? Not according to the contract that YOU signed.

I don’t think he’s being malicious. In his mind, he honestly believes he’s right. I remember reading a comment from someone who went to a recent show about how he seemed to be out of touch with reality while he was performing. Sadly, I think it’s more than just while he’s performing.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
100% agreed!  When this tour ends later this month, Scott should just move on from singing many STP songs and go back to singing all his solo stuff. Especially if he wants to gain anymore solo cred! He has so much solo material to work with, I couldn't see how it can be hard to just go back to that. The way I see if, if he releases a new album, on the next tour they start performing that and also perform his other solo material. Maybe sing 2-3 STP/VR songs if that but that's it!  We all know it's not quite working. I bet he could really at his best if he just sticks to his solo work right?

8)

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Scott doing these classic rock karaoke tours is just sad. He should be doing 4-5 stp/vr songs max and the rest solo stuff.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
That's like expecting the boys to go out and tour Army of Anyone material right now.

Like it or not, Scott's solo stuff is not anywhere commercially successful. Back when he was with STP, he could get away with solo stuff on the side, but now that this is the ONLY way to him live, the audiences will basically demand more STP material.

I have absolutely no issue with the setlist Scott has chosen or toured. The issue is the lousy fucking musicians he has playing it, and the half-assed drunken performances he has given. If he were sober, and he had real fucking musicians, then I don't think anyone here would be complaining about him playing too much STP material.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:31:07 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Tuf_Duff In Chains

• Sky Captain
  • THE Man in The Box
    • View Profile
This is the most condescending article I've ever read.

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
funny....even the guy who wrote the article cant get the their name right! in the last paragraph he calls them the "Walkabouts"

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
funny....even the guy who wrote the article cant get the their name right! in the last paragraph he calls them the "Walkabouts"

I think it the writer was clearly being sarcastic. I saw in a recent article the writer said "Scott and his croons."  lol

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
I'm at the point where I just wish that Scott would stop wearing scarf's and get back to being a cool guy rather than a weirdo who wears thrift store clothing claiming that it's designer stuff.

The Core era Scott was a guy I identified with.
The Purple era Scott was a guy with a cool frontman act and a great record
The Tiny era Scott was the guy he sang about in Creep from the Core era, but we stuck around anyway because the album was unique and Lady Picture Show had the best non-concert video the band had made so far
The No. 4 era Scott was the triumphantly returning silver suited rockstar that I always wanted to be.
The SLDD era Scott was the guy that made what was the best unknown pop/rock record of the year and didn't care how well it did
The VR era Scott had a chicken walk that I hated, but made the strongest rock albums since Core
The STP era Scott was the guy that gave me hope that my favorite band and all of my musical tastes were not irrelevant.
The current Scott is a weirdo that wears big, french hats with tacky scarfs that stand out more than ever, only made worse because he calls it "style" amidst performing with some backing garage band from which I couldn't tell you anything about, except for maybe Doug Greene.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:33:59 PM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
What he wears should be the least of anyone's concern at this point.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Scott's living his life on his terms.  Not a luxury many people I know live their life by.  Life isn't easy.  I predict we'll see S Weiland on top again....