September 30, 2024, 11:16:51 PM

Author Topic: STP are no.1 Active Rock.  (Read 11955 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP are no.1 Active Rock.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »
No one thinks that if a song reaches #1, that automatically makes the song as good as Stairway to Heaven or something.

The entire point of reaching the top of the charts is seeing how it does in comparison to the other songs on the list. Going back to the school metaphor; even if you are of average intelligence, if you have the best grades of anyone in your class you are still valedictorian. That doesn't make you a genius, but it DOES make you valedictorian.

LITERALLY the only thing that qualifies a song for "#1 material" is if it is better than the other songs on the charts. To argue that Out of Time isn't #1 material, you have to bring up a justifiable reason why one of the other songs on the charts should do better than it...

Bottom line, Out of Time is #1 material. How can we tell? Because it's fucking #1 on the charts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:29:16 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 01:27:56 AM »
Why do you guys wonder why?

There is this thing called "Payola" and its been going on since at least the 1950's, people think its stopped, it hasn't they just got better at hiding it.

Pretty much, bands and/or their labels pay radio stations to play their song a certain amount of times in a given amount of time, there are contracts and agreements in place. I'm not saying it happens to every band and/or every song, but I'd bet my ass STP has more than done this a few times.

There is a documentary about it called "before the music dies" they have a lot more info on it, including contracts from Linkin Park ETC....

You can watch it for free on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZztrRWjZ8&list=PLDBD1AE10C75CCE94

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 03:22:12 AM »
Its cool and all but rock and radio are a dying breed. The real test will be regarding the live shows. You develop a true following (like Pearl Jam or Metallica) then you can be proud.
adhesive love

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 03:52:21 AM »
I've heard Out Of Time on the radio a few times. I literally never heard Between The Lines once, no clue how it got to number 1.

I remember hearing BTL quite a bit its first 2-3 months out there, but never after that.

The real test will be if they can have another radio hit off the EP.

The more impressive thing about BTL though was that it got to #1 on the Alternative charts.  I find that more impressive.  No other STP song charted #1 on the Alternative (or Modern Rock) charts.  The closest they got in the past was #2.  Out Of Time is currently #22 on the Alternative charts.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »
I've heard Out Of Time on the radio a few times. I literally never heard Between The Lines once, no clue how it got to number 1.

I remember hearing BTL quite a bit its first 2-3 months out there, but never after that.

The real test will be if they can have another radio hit off the EP.

The more impressive thing about BTL though was that it got to #1 on the Alternative charts.  I find that more impressive.  No other STP song charted #1 on the Alternative (or Modern Rock) charts.  The closest they got in the past was #2.  Out Of Time is currently #22 on the Alternative charts.

AIC's new stuff hasn't even charted on Alternative.  That's why when people talk about "Stone" being a hit they're wrong, it's had zero traction on Alternative.  BTL was a pretty big hit for a couple months, it just wasn't a long term hit.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »
I feel Cinnamon could of been a hit that would of lasted thru the years....

:(

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 03:04:54 PM »
I don't think so, I think their hits only seem to have staying power if they are off a huge selling album, otherwise like the album, they just get forgotten as soon as they are off the charts.

I mean look at Sour Girl, that was a radio hit on the level of tracks off Core & Purple, but it hardly gets played now, and was from an album that only just scraped 1x platinum.. Trippin still gets moderate radio play, and is off a 2 x platinum album, and Plush, Interstate etc get played all the time, and are off 5x + platinum albums.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »
I don't think so, I think their hits only seem to have staying power if they are off a huge selling album, otherwise like the album, they just get forgotten as soon as they are off the charts.

I mean look at Sour Girl, that was a radio hit on the level of tracks off Core & Purple, but it hardly gets played now, and was from an album that only just scraped 1x platinum.. Trippin still gets moderate radio play, and is off a 2 x platinum album, and Plush, Interstate etc get played all the time, and are off 5x + platinum albums.

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. Singles that do well off of albums that don't are usually forgotten.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 11:40:42 PM »

I get your point, but there we're a few tracks on that album that had staying power similar to plush, interstate, etc, had they promoted them on time with videos and didin't totaly fuck this album, maybe it would of sold better too? Most people won't buy an album off of 1 or 2 good songs on the radio. They needed to win back the fans, but instead they went for the quick and easy cash grab with just doing one big single so they could promote the tour instead of the album, made them money on the tour but kinda fucked the album. If they would of been into the music like they use to be, doing special acoustic things for stations and what not, making it special, maybe people would of cared again. But when Scott shows up an hour in a half late and sounds not that great, they are not gonna want to buy the new album from people that are millionaires, while we scrape shit off of our shoes for dinner every night.

chloesdad

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »
Per the website:

Our debut single ‘Out of Time’ reached the number one position on both the Mediabase Active Rock and Mainstream Rock chart today!

“We’re really thankful to all the people listening to our music that made this happen,” says Robert DeLeo. “It feels great on so many levels.”

‘Out of Time’ is STP’s first chart topping song in over a decade, eclipsing 2010′s ‘ Between the Lines.’

A tour kicks off next month, for all of the dates and other information be sure to check out http://www.stonetemplepilots.com

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
I dont get the , 'in over a decade' then goes onto saying eclipsing 2010, BTL, um isnt a decade 10yrs???
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 04:11:03 AM »
I dont get the , 'in over a decade' then goes onto saying eclipsing 2010, BTL, um isnt a decade 10yrs???

Plus, it didn't really eclipse BTL.  BTL hit #1 on the Alternative chart.  Didn't BTL also hit #1 on Active Rock?  I think it hit #2 on Mainstream Rock.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 06:10:13 AM »
No. 1 on the what charts?

It only took them 3 months?

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
So, their first song without Weiland went to No. 1. I think this might have gotten under his skin a little, based on some of the comments he's made at recent shows.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
Yet to hear it on radio in Los Angeles.  Good luck with that....