September 30, 2024, 11:19:08 AM

Author Topic: "Out of Time" break it down  (Read 7413 times)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
"Out of Time" break it down
« on: May 24, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
Whats the feeling after hearing this song for about a week now?

I like it, its pretty decent.  Dont thinks its as good as 'Between the Lines"  but its better than 'GoodBye' and on par with 'Hello Hello' .. my 2cents
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

NakedFountain

• And I think I think too much
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Bi Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: "Out of Time" break it down
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »
It's just an okay song to me. I don't hate it, but after having heard it I don't have very high hopes for the future. STP's last album was their weakest imo but I still like all the songs on that better than I like "Out Of Time" It sounds more like Velvet Revolver than STP and I'm not happy with the lyrics at all.
"I wanna drink from your naked fountain
I can drown your sorrow"

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »
I agree that Between The Lines is better.  I like it more than most of AoA, and some stuff off self-titled.  I heard it on the radio the other day, first time I heard it in the car, really cool.  It's just a back to basics rock song.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:49:56 PM »
  I'm posting for the sole purpose that I highly disagree with the previous posts. I think the song is great. The song has a high intensity about it and shouldn't really be compared to Between The Lines or the other songs listed because the other songs have a different vibe to them. I think the S/T album was one of their best efforts. I think people really dislike it because it's too poppy and doesn't sound enough like Core to those only Core STP fans. True Story. They had a lot of gems on there that stand with the rest of the STP albums/hits. Maver is a great gem for example!  But again yeah doesn't sound like Core. That album had great range. Anywho,the new song has a  lot of energy to it. Guitar solo is good and even has a part in the song that sounds like AoA. On top of that Chester gets to use his signature voice which is way awesome. Basically that's a preview of what's to come in the NEW STP lineup....like it or not! I'm 100% on board for CB! Probably helps that I don't mind a little LP here and there and I've been since 92'/93' Core days.

8)

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »
Its STP's best rocker song in years. It reminds me of Sex Type Thing.

I for one welcome our new Linkin Park overlords

Bugaha

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »
So they left Scott behind, got some new blood, but yet.....all the DeLeo's could come up with was another generic cock-rock riff.  ::)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »
cock rock what?  I really dig the chorus though, its deff STP, solos good and there some of Deans harmonics.. Its a good appetizer introducing stp2.0

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 08:45:30 PM »
  I'm posting for the sole purpose that I highly disagree with the previous posts. I think the song is great. The song has a high intensity about it and shouldn't really be compared to Between The Lines or the other songs listed because the other songs have a different vibe to them. I think the S/T album was one of their best efforts. I think people really dislike it because it's too poppy and doesn't sound enough like Core to those only Core STP fans. True Story. They had a lot of gems on there that stand with the rest of the STP albums/hits. Maver is a great gem for example!  But again yeah doesn't sound like Core. That album had great range. Anywho,the new song has a  lot of energy to it. Guitar solo is good and even has a part in the song that sounds like AoA. On top of that Chester gets to use his signature voice which is way awesome. Basically that's a preview of what's to come in the NEW STP lineup....like it or not! I'm 100% on board for CB! Probably helps that I don't mind a little LP here and there and I've been since 92'/93' Core days.

8)

Good post!

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Silverman Supergun

• Thetan level 7
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »
Cock Rock is perceived by most as glam/hair bands.  Don't see it.  Cocks are chickens bred to fight .  True Cock Rock- http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_540710&feature=iv&src_vid=8cNFGjtGlrU&v=SqeT9ooYKnM
And I dig Out of time.  The price and presentation was first rate too.
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes cause I walked too softly.  But in my defense, he was a Macho Pendejo.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
The music itself really does have a purple/Tiny "flare" to it... however it doesn't sound like something I would hear the radio play more than just once or twice and that would be just because they have to or something. In my opinion the 3 members of STP are wanting to reappear to mainstream listeners again, but something like this is not going to do it. While I appreciate the music itself, its not a Sex Type Thing/Plush/Wicked Garden/Trippin/or even ILS... therefore main streamer's won't care.

With that said, I never had a problem with STP not getting the radio love with their latest albums, because to me it was like they were putting out music for their own love of it, and I really liked the direction they went. The last three albums are by far my favorites from the band.

But we all know the reason for them wanting to go along with Chester is to hopefully become relevant again. In my opinion that sound on Out Of Time won't get that done. It's a good track, but not something radio is going to fall in love with. I would be suprised to hear it play twice on my rock station.

If you played that song for me a week ago and I didn't know about all this news with STP, I would say it's a voice that I don't find relaxing, singing against something that sounds "inspired" by a couple STP records. That's it.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »
Rock radio is so bad

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
Whats the feeling after hearing this song for about a week now?

I like it, its pretty decent.  Dont thinks its as good as 'Between the Lines"  but its better than 'GoodBye' and on par with 'Hello Hello' .. my 2cents

I think it's about 50 million times better than BTL which I thought was crap from the start. Still can't believe that track put Piece of Pie out of the tourney.

Agree it's better than Goodbye because, despite the positives in that track (neat chorus, drums and a real soaring quality), the naff lyrics and poor verse melody let that one down a bit. Not one of RP's finest moments on AoA, there were plenty others to make up for it though.

All in all, I'm very happy with Out of Time as a taster for what the new line-up can deliver. It'a as much about the energy and commitment for me as anything else at this point.

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »
Love the energy on the track but i read a comment on Ultimate-Guitar that went along the lines of: "Cool, but i keep wondering... how would this song sound with Scott voice instead of Chester's?"
And well, i think that if Scott made a decent effort, he could have pulled of this track and with his voice, it would've been even better.
Seems like you left me when you broke down

megafonemaniac

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »
imo, i think "out of time" is a decent rock tune, but nothing special about it.
been trying to put my finger on it, but i think it reminds me of something off the no4 album....sort of like "heaven n hotrods".
maybe too early to judge, but i think weiland has a more versatile voice with more range.
i believe he could have done more with the song.
time will only tell

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:45:34 AM »
reminds me of fast as I can
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011