September 20, 2024, 04:46:54 AM

Author Topic: In regards to the press & bloggers...  (Read 4386 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
In regards to the press & bloggers...
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
After 20+ years as a fan of this band...

Fuck the press (and in the past decade, bloggers too).

Regardless of any achievement or awards, the press/bloggers will always take every opportunity to bash Scott, and write a biased article.  They always make Scott out to be the bad guy, when the only people who really can say, are the four members in the band (lately especially).  Every other article on the subject is taking the *"SHE SAID" side of a "he said/she said" situation, and claiming it to be 100% factual. (*Because the DeLeo's sound like a bitter ex wife trying to stick it to their husband in this situation.)

It's amazing how out of any musician, actor, or any other person in the public's eye, Scott seems to be the only one who never gets recognized for all his accomplishments, while he's never clear of his past.  Meanwhile, athletes commit violent crimes, Chris Brown beats the shit out of women, actors kill their wives, etc...  Yet, as soon as they're onto their next role, album, movie/TV series, everyone forgets and it's never mentioned again.  Except for Scott... who regardless of how many Grammy's he's won or been nominated for, or the amount of music he's put out as an artist, he'll always that druggie to these pricks writing articles. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:37:05 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: In regards to the press & bloggers...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
Well, it's not just Scott, the band as a whole took a 15 year beating from the press. Shitty reviews, constant ridiculous comparisons to other bands, Scott getting a constant bashing for everything he did.

It wasn't until they went away and came back again that the music press gave them their dues, after they'd had 8 years to reflect on it, they started to realise just how good the band was in their heyday.

S/T probably got the best reviews I have seen for an STP record, which is sad as fuck.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »
Hey, Led Zeppelin weren't exactly media darlings but that didn't stop them from being the greatest band ever. :D

To be honest, it bugs me sometimes that STP doesn't get their due.
When it comes to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, I know many people can either take it or leave it.
But i was talking to a friend of mine about it and STP and possible induction...

To me, of course I'd love to see them there, but based on the way they're treated, I wouldn't be surprised if they are a band that has to wait forever.

Surely the big Seattle four will get in before STP...but STP isn't just some leftover band. Their catalog is proof in the pudding, if there ever was one.
Not to degrade bands like Smashing Pumpkins or Bush or Live or whatever...but STP isn't THAT....They are on (or should be) on the upper tier of bands from that era.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »
Hey, Led Zeppelin weren't exactly media darlings but that didn't stop them from being the greatest band ever. :D

When it comes to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, I know many people can either take it or leave it.
But i was talking to a friend of mine about it and STP and possible induction...

To me, of course I'd love to see them there, but based on the way they're treated, I wouldn't be surprised if they are a band that has to wait forever.

Surely the big Seattle four will get in before STP...but STP isn't just some leftover band. Their catalog is proof in the pudding, if there ever was one.
Not to degrade bands like Smashing Pumpkins or Bush or Live or whatever...but STP isn't THAT....They are on (or should be) on the upper tier of bands from that era.

The R&R HoF is more of a social club than anything.  It's the closest thing we have but it's really off the mark.
As long as it is taking for Iggy Pop, Motorhead & Kiss to get nominated, I"m sure we'll be waiting a long time for our beloved STP.

I think they deserve it, but IMO there's just many many others who still need to be recognized first.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:56:45 AM »
Well, it's not just Scott, the band as a whole took a 15 year beating from the press. Shitty reviews, constant ridiculous comparisons to other bands, Scott getting a constant bashing for everything he did.

It wasn't until they went away and came back again that the music press gave them their dues, after they'd had 8 years to reflect on it, they started to realise just how good the band was in their heyday.

S/T probably got the best reviews I have seen for an STP record, which is sad as fuck.

Not that I feel like sticking up for the rest of the band lately, but although the band has taken a beating in the press, it's mostly been because of Scott.  After the 8 year hiatus, all the praise they got was still underscored by his past problems.  Every good review had to mention something about his addictions or bad reviews from the early 90's.   Then giving S/T praise over their older albums really showed how fucking clueless the "press" is; highlighting how fickle & shitty the industry is today.

I honestly don't know much about Led Zeppelin's media portrayal. But I hope that history looks favorably on STP as it does on them (although with the DeLeo's pissing away the STP legacy, who knows....).  I think the Seattle four are completely overrated, except for Nirvana.  So it's in the hands of time, and unfortunately more of those other 90's bands have done a better job cultivating a "cult like" following than STP (better management, fan support, DVD's, CD's, etc...). 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:59:16 AM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"