September 20, 2024, 06:46:10 AM

Author Topic: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]  (Read 23025 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »
I actually don't think Scott's melodies were bad at all for S/T. I find his work in Hickory just plain genius. I can't think of anything that sounds like it.
For me, the weakest past of S/T was the music; and even the strongest rocking songs (instrumentally) Scott nails them. Take A Load Off, Fast As I Can, and Between The Lines

Me neither. I like S/T. My biggest gripe about it is that I really think it would have benefitted from having Brendan O Brien at the helm.
But there are some great tunes on there.

That's kinda the reason that I don't care as much about the live show. Don't get me wrong...i love going to watch STP, but if I knew that they would have lousy shows but then record/release incredible albums that they are capable of, i'd gladly sacrifice one for the other...
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

NakedFountain

• And I think I think too much
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Bi Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »
Slither and VelvetLoungeFly, I don't know if you guys are familiar with Marc Canter. In case you aren't he's the author of Reckless Road and he has known the guys since before they were signed to a major label.
He has his own Q&A section on a GN'R forum and he explained to us how the signing over of the name went down. It is true Axl had a lawyer or manager (can't remember who exactly it was right now) go to Duff and Slash before a show and ask for them to sign the name over. But Axl did not tell the lawyer/manager to say that he wouldn't go on stage if they didn't sign it. For some reason the lawyer/manager said Axl wouldn't go on stage if they did not sign. Being told this made Duff and Slash sign as they didn't want another riot to happen which is perfectly understandable. Duff and Slash are now pissed off because they feel blackmailed into having signed the name over because of the threat of Axl not wanting to go on stage unless they had signed it. Axl on the other hand is not aware that Duff and Slash had been told that, so after Duff and Slash have left GN'R and they start saying in the press Axl threatened them to sign over the name by refusing to go on stage that night, Axl gets angry and say they're lying because he never said. It is true Axl never said that, but Duff and Slash don't know that, they just know what this lawyer/manager person told them and Axl only knows what this lawyer/manager told him and he was not told about the threat of him refusing to go on stage. So yes, Axl had Duff and Slash asked to sign the name over, but the not going on stage threat did not come from him. So Duff, Slash nor Axl is lying in this matter, it was the lawyer/manager who lied to all three of them. It's kinda like Duff says in his book "It was lawyers and managers who broke up Guns N' Roses. They pinned us against each other in ways that would profit them finacially and we believed them instead of believing each other"
I don't have time to sort through all Marc's questions right now, but if you want me to find his exact quote on this I can try and find it for you later. Just let me know if you're interested.

Not saying Axl didn't make mistakes and never fucked up because he clearly did. He fucked up with being late, having temper tantrums etc. The other made mistakes by getting too involved in drugs and alcohol. And they all made the mistake of not comunicating with each other, but through other people such as lawyers and managers.

When I said they signed the name over because they were too high or drunk what I meant was that if they hadn't been so heavily into their addictions as the time it might have been more difficult to convince them to sign over the name. We all know you do things when you're fucked up on drugs and alcohol that you might not normally do otherwise.

Just to make it clear, I do not blame anyone in particular for what went wrong with the classic GN'R line up. After having read Duff's book and Marc Canter's account of things it's very clear to me that everyone in the band made mistakes and that there were lots of outside manipulation going on from people who stood to financially gain from it. I still to this day like and support all members of the old line up (I recently went to see Duff with his new band Walking Papers which was awesome) The reason why I seem to defend Axl more is because he is the one who usually gets most of the blame and so therefor he is the one I end up defending. Believe it or not, I have actually defended both Duff and Slash against angry Scott and STP fans back when Scott was fired from VR.
"I wanna drink from your naked fountain
I can drown your sorrow"

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
I think the DeLeos and Kretz have control of the name because they outnumber Scott 3 vs. 1.
Tell that to Slash,Duff and those idiots.....

They own the VR name but Slash hasn't been satisfied enough yet with any of the guys who have tried out for VR to hire anybody.

He's talking about them not having the rights to the GnR name I think. They voluntarily left that band though.
Yes, GnR. 

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »
Slither and VelvetLoungeFly, I don't know if you guys are familiar with Marc Canter. In case you aren't he's the author of Reckless Road and he has known the guys since before they were signed to a major label.
He has his own Q&A section on a GN'R forum and he explained to us how the signing over of the name went down. It is true Axl had a lawyer or manager (can't remember who exactly it was right now) go to Duff and Slash before a show and ask for them to sign the name over. But Axl did not tell the lawyer/manager to say that he wouldn't go on stage if they didn't sign it. For some reason the lawyer/manager said Axl wouldn't go on stage if they did not sign. Being told this made Duff and Slash sign as they didn't want another riot to happen which is perfectly understandable. Duff and Slash are now pissed off because they feel blackmailed into having signed the name over because of the threat of Axl not wanting to go on stage unless they had signed it. Axl on the other hand is not aware that Duff and Slash had been told that, so after Duff and Slash have left GN'R and they start saying in the press Axl threatened them to sign over the name by refusing to go on stage that night, Axl gets angry and say they're lying because he never said. It is true Axl never said that, but Duff and Slash don't know that, they just know what this lawyer/manager person told them and Axl only knows what this lawyer/manager told him and he was not told about the threat of him refusing to go on stage. So yes, Axl had Duff and Slash asked to sign the name over, but the not going on stage threat did not come from him. So Duff, Slash nor Axl is lying in this matter, it was the lawyer/manager who lied to all three of them. It's kinda like Duff says in his book "It was lawyers and managers who broke up Guns N' Roses. They pinned us against each other in ways that would profit them finacially and we believed them instead of believing each other"
I don't have time to sort through all Marc's questions right now, but if you want me to find his exact quote on this I can try and find it for you later. Just let me know if you're interested.

Not saying Axl didn't make mistakes and never fucked up because he clearly did. He fucked up with being late, having temper tantrums etc. The other made mistakes by getting too involved in drugs and alcohol. And they all made the mistake of not comunicating with each other, but through other people such as lawyers and managers.

When I said they signed the name over because they were too high or drunk what I meant was that if they hadn't been so heavily into their addictions as the time it might have been more difficult to convince them to sign over the name. We all know you do things when you're fucked up on drugs and alcohol that you might not normally do otherwise.

Just to make it clear, I do not blame anyone in particular for what went wrong with the classic GN'R line up. After having read Duff's book and Marc Canter's account of things it's very clear to me that everyone in the band made mistakes and that there were lots of outside manipulation going on from people who stood to financially gain from it. I still to this day like and support all members of the old line up (I recently went to see Duff with his new band Walking Papers which was awesome) The reason why I seem to defend Axl more is because he is the one who usually gets most of the blame and so therefor he is the one I end up defending. Believe it or not, I have actually defended both Duff and Slash against angry Scott and STP fans back when Scott was fired from VR.

Scott quit VR.  Then a week or so later they said he was fired. 

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2013, 09:38:48 PM »
So the question remains....Who owns the name? 

NakedFountain

• And I think I think too much
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Bi Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »

Scott quit VR.  Then a week or so later they said he was fired. 

Fired, quit....Depends on who you wanna believe I guess.

So the question remains....Who owns the name? 

I'm guessing you're talking about the STP name now. I guess all four of them own it....right?
"I wanna drink from your naked fountain
I can drown your sorrow"

Existing

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
Here's an article examining the move from both bands' point of view:

http://spydistrict.com/2013/05/linkin-park-lease-out-a-singer/

Raise your hands if you saw this one coming. Anybody? That gentleman in the last row there? No? As you were.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
What ill miss most is not Scotts lyrics, which were at sometimes great and sometimes a mystery to figure out,  itll be his harmonies and melodies which took t/Deleos music to another level,  in which Chester I dont think can match.  But looking forward to see what he brings :)

Like I've said before, I get the feeling those melodies have dried up anyway. Judging from the last album, and Scott's solo work as of late, I don't think a new STP album would have been anything to write home about... The band's chemistry is just gone.

I don't think Chester can write anything to match Scott at his peak, so I'm not expecting another Tiny Music or Shangri La Dee-Da in songrwriting. But I think Chester can match Richard Patrick's level of writing in Army of Anyone, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

If the boys can bring a record of the quality of AoA out under the STP moniker, that would be a step up from S/T, IMO.

I actually don't think Scott's melodies were bad at all for S/T. I find his work in Hickory just plain genius. I can't think of anything that sounds like it.
For me, the weakest past of S/T was the music; and even the strongest rocking songs (instrumentally) Scott nails them. Take A Load Off, Fast As I Can, and Between The Lines

Agreed, HD is a STP classic for me, as well as FKOM
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »
What's funny is, Scott didn't even put a tremendous amount of effort into S/T and it's still awesome from a melodic standpoint. Its his lyrics that really suffer here. Worst on any album he's ever been a part of in my opinion. Take a Load Off still makes me cringe: "summer med fly ruled the airways mostly superstitious, now the kings of media invent the swine flu visions"

I mean what the hell is that? There's stuff like that all over the record where he's just making word soup and juxtaposing words that sound good together. I love his writing on Maver and First Kiss on Mars. Those songs are mint from a lyrical standpoint. I just wish he applied that same effort lyrically to the rest of the songs on the record, because the melodies are as good as they've ever been. I still love the album, I just didn't connect with it on a personal level like I had the previous 5.

I don't think Out of Time is any better. It's also kind of word soup and very basic. I'm gonna hold out casting blame on anyone inparticular because I have a feeling the DeLeos had a large input into the lyrics and it was rushed anyway. So we'll see, I'm not counting Chester 's lyrical abilities out yet, but I'm also not expect Scott.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »
he's just making word soup and juxtaposing words that sound good together.

I think that's the John Lennon fan in him. Lennon was known to paint imagery with his words.
I think Scott has done that throughout his career.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
I am pretty sure I read an interview with him where he said he often just chooses words because they flow together.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »
For sure, not all your lyrics can be meaningful. Sometimes you just gotta walk in with your alligator's sister tryna get to heaven on sunday. But he did this way more on S/T than any other album.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »
It's never really bothered me to be honest. I couldn't tell you what 95% of STP tracks are about, same goes for every band I like. I never listen to the lyrics, just the voice. Probably the muso in me.

I can remember a lot of the lyrics at concerts, because I have heard them so many times, but rarely have I ever actually thought about what they mean.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
the 'swine flu visions' line about all that talk the swine flu got like it was going to be a plague when it turned out to be nothing but media hype .. and what the hell is a seven caged tiger, Weilands always had some odd lyics
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
What's funny is, Scott didn't even put a tremendous amount of effort into S/T and it's still awesome from a melodic standpoint. Its his lyrics that really suffer here. Worst on any album he's ever been a part of in my opinion. Take a Load Off still makes me cringe: "summer med fly ruled the airways mostly superstitious, now the kings of media invent the swine flu visions"

I mean what the hell is that? There's stuff like that all over the record where he's just making word soup and juxtaposing words that sound good together. I love his writing on Maver and First Kiss on Mars. Those songs are mint from a lyrical standpoint. I just wish he applied that same effort lyrically to the rest of the songs on the record, because the melodies are as good as they've ever been. I still love the album, I just didn't connect with it on a personal level like I had the previous 5.

I don't think Out of Time is any better. It's also kind of word soup and very basic. I'm gonna hold out casting blame on anyone inparticular because I have a feeling the DeLeos had a large input into the lyrics and it was rushed anyway. So we'll see, I'm not counting Chester 's lyrical abilities out yet, but I'm also not expect Scott.

Really? are we actually complaining on Scott lyrics at this point?
I mean, the man can write the most beautiful coherent lyrics such as in Wonderful or even in harder rock songs like Naked Sunday.
But he also lets his mind free to experiment with the words and he just writes down some "weird" lyrics that in the end, are still great!

Seven Caged Tigers or even Between The Lines are great examples of this.
Seems like you left me when you broke down