September 20, 2024, 08:35:11 AM

Author Topic: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]  (Read 23038 times)

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2013, 02:23:39 AM »
Where the hell is nicolecarey when you need her?
If you only knew..

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2013, 02:37:18 AM »
I think the DeLeos and Kretz have control of the name because they outnumber Scott 3 vs. 1.
Tell that to Slash,Duff and those idiots.....

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2013, 02:39:02 AM »
I think the DeLeos and Kretz have control of the name because they outnumber Scott 3 vs. 1.

They own the VR name but Slash hasn't been satisfied enough yet with any of the guys who have tried out for VR to hire anybody.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »

They own the VR name but Slash hasn't been satisfied enough yet with any of the guys who have tried out for VR to hire anybody.

He's talking about them not having the rights to the GnR name I think. They voluntarily left that band though.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »

He's talking about them not having the rights to the GnR name I think. They voluntarily left that band though.

Several years back, when things were first starting to go south, Axl convinced all the guys in the band to sign over the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses" to be the sole property of Axl Rose
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

NakedFountain

• And I think I think too much
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Bi Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »

Several years back, when things were first starting to go south, Axl convinced all the guys in the band to sign over the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses" to be the sole property of Axl Rose

Axl's not dumb. He saw how the band began to slowly unravel with Steven being fired, Izzy leaving and the others only caring about getting high and drunk. The others signed over the name because they were too drunk/high to care.
I bet Scott wished he'd at least made sure he had some say over the VR and STP name today. He has lost both VR and STP.
"I wanna drink from your naked fountain
I can drown your sorrow"

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »
Where the hell is nicolecarey when you need her?

+1
Seems like you left me when you broke down

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »
Scott and STP are like one of those couples that just have amazing chemistry and no matter how long theyre apart when they get together the spark is just there,  IMO.

What ill miss most is not Scotts lyrics, which were at sometimes great and sometimes a mystery to figure out,  itll be his harmonies and melodies which took t/Deleos music to another level,  in which Chester I dont think can match.  But looking forward to see what he brings :)
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
Axl's not dumb. He saw how the band began to slowly unravel with Steven being fired, Izzy leaving and the others only caring about getting high and drunk. The others signed over the name because they were too drunk/high to care.

Lol is that how we're remembering it?

Though I'm sure Scott now wishes he had similar "foresight"
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

NakedFountain

• And I think I think too much
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Bi Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »

How we remember it? What about it is wrong?
"I wanna drink from your naked fountain
I can drown your sorrow"

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
The story [I heard] goes...
Prior to hitting the stage before a sold out crowd, Axl gave the guys an ultimatum to sign over the rights to the name or he would refuse to go on.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »

Ok. This is going to be the first and last time I lay this out for all you Axl fanboys (and girls).

Pretty much everything about that statement is wrong. I was a huge guns fan before I was ever an STP fan, and that recollection of events is just plain incorrect. Slash and Duff were too loaded to know what was going on? Come on. Axl may not be dumb, but Slash and Duff aren't either.

Lets start with Izzy, and why he left, because to pin it on Slash and Duff is so egregiously misinformed. Izzy has not been coy about why he left the band, he's explained many times why he left. These reasons included Axl becoming more and more isolated, not wanting to pay all the overtime fees Axl had racked up for arriving to gigs 2 hours late, the montreal riot (thanks to axl), Use Your Illusion being a completely different album from the time he worked on it to the time Axl got his hands on it, and Axl offering him a new contract that guaranteed him less money. Axl more or less said to him "You don't pull your weight around here, I'm cutting your pay", despite Izzy being the other main songwriter. I can link all these articles, but I'm pretty sure all of us on here are capable of googling. I'm sure Izzy's newfound sobriety had something to do with why he left, but show me one band from that era that was completely sober where he would have fit in at that point?

Now, for why Slash and Duff signed over the naming rights. "They were too drunk/high to realize". Right. Because they had just shot up heroin when Axl told them "hey guys, sign here! It's for a new coffeemaker!"

Slash and Duff had just put up with so much shit from Axl at that point for the sake of the band (being late, missing, impossible to work with, an overall righteous douchebag) they decided they'd cave to Axl's childish demands just one more time if it meant it keeping the band alive. They were already so pot committed (and knew guns wouldn't be successful without Axl) that they just said fuck it. With the benefit of hindsight, that was obviously an awful move, but they chose the future of the band over their own personal interests. That's a fact. Unfortunately, Axl didn't keep up his end of the bargain.

Guns 'N Roses will always be one of my favorite bands. I love Axl as a vocalist and performer, he's one of the best there ever was. But it ends right then and there, and always will.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:47:28 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
What ill miss most is not Scotts lyrics, which were at sometimes great and sometimes a mystery to figure out,  itll be his harmonies and melodies which took t/Deleos music to another level,  in which Chester I dont think can match.  But looking forward to see what he brings :)

Like I've said before, I get the feeling those melodies have dried up anyway. Judging from the last album, and Scott's solo work as of late, I don't think a new STP album would have been anything to write home about... The band's chemistry is just gone.

I don't think Chester can write anything to match Scott at his peak, so I'm not expecting another Tiny Music or Shangri La Dee-Da in songrwriting. But I think Chester can match Richard Patrick's level of writing in Army of Anyone, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

If the boys can bring a record of the quality of AoA out under the STP moniker, that would be a step up from S/T, IMO.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »

Ok. This is going to be the first and last time I lay this out for all you Axl fanboys (and girls).

Pretty much everything about that statement is wrong. I was a huge guns fan before I was ever an STP fan, and that recollection of events is just plain incorrect. Slash and Duff were too loaded to know what was going on? Come on. Axl may not be dumb, but Slash and Duff aren't either.

Lets start with Izzy, and why he left, because to pin it on Slash and Duff is so egregiously misinformed. Izzy has not been coy about why he left the band, he's explained many times why he left. These reasons included Axl becoming more and more isolated, not wanting to pay all the overtime fees Axl had racked up for arriving to gigs 2 hours late, the montreal riot (thanks to axl), Use Your Illusion being a completely different album from the time he worked on it to the time Axl got his hands on it, and Axl offering him a new contract that guaranteed him less money. Axl more or less said to him "You don't pull your weight around here, I'm cutting your pay", despite Izzy being the other main songwriter. I can link all these articles, but I'm pretty sure all of us on here are capable of googling. I'm sure Izzy's newfound sobriety had something to do with why he left, but show me one band from that era that was completely sober where he would have fit in at that point?

Now, for why Slash and Duff signed over the naming rights. "They were too drunk/high to realize". Right. Because they had just shot up heroin when Axl told them "hey guys, sign here! It's for a new coffeemaker!"

Slash and Duff had just put up with so much shit from Axl at that point for the sake of the band (being late, missing, impossible to work with, an overall righteous douchebag) they decided they'd cave to Axl's childish demands just one more time if it meant it keeping the band alive. They were already so pot committed (and knew guns wouldn't be successful without Axl) that they just said fuck it. With the benefit of hindsight, that was obviously an awful move, but they chose the future of the band over their own personal interests. That's a fact. Unfortunately, Axl didn't keep up his end of the bargain.

Guns 'N Roses will always be one of my favorite bands. I love Axl as a vocalist and performer, he's one of the best there ever was. But it ends right then and there, and always will.

That's exactly how it went. Mostly all the members have shared the exact same story.
The whole "they were too wasted, so they signed" was because Axl had been throwing fits a couple of gigs prior to the incident. He had lawyers and as he called them.."his people" there and wanted Duff and Slash to sign immediately, or he wouldn't perform. The problem was that they were actually too fucked up to even know what was going on, and they wouldn't sign.
He managed to talk to them earlier before the incident, and this time they were in better shape to know what they were about to sign.
I doubt it would have ended the same way if Axl hadn't thrown hissy fits and threats. He was legally far more educated than the rest of the guys, so they basically said "fuck it, we just wanna get out there and play" not thinking about how big of a deal it was, considering they already knew they would be receiving all their royalties for songs.
If you only knew..

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »

Like I've said before, I get the feeling those melodies have dried up anyway. Judging from the last album, and Scott's solo work as of late, I don't think a new STP album would have been anything to write home about... The band's chemistry is just gone.

I don't think Chester can write anything to match Scott at his peak, so I'm not expecting another Tiny Music or Shangri La Dee-Da in songrwriting. But I think Chester can match Richard Patrick's level of writing in Army of Anyone, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

If the boys can bring a record of the quality of AoA out under the STP moniker, that would be a step up from S/T, IMO.

I actually don't think Scott's melodies were bad at all for S/T. I find his work in Hickory just plain genius. I can't think of anything that sounds like it.
For me, the weakest past of S/T was the music; and even the strongest rocking songs (instrumentally) Scott nails them. Take A Load Off, Fast As I Can, and Between The Lines
If you only knew..