September 20, 2024, 10:41:30 AM

Author Topic: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]  (Read 23050 times)

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »
Again, I understand that some can't accept it. And, like Blue, I never thought I would either.

But my mind goes back to when Dean said, on looking back over 1992-2002, that "hardly any" of it was enjoyable.

And I look at them now and 3/4 of the original band seems totally re-focused and ready to prove themselves all over again. I don't think they should be denied and I feel they deserve my support after all they've given me and my musical life over the years. That's it really.

Plus Chester is ace imo. That doesn't hurt.

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:20 PM »
Again, I understand that some can't accept it. And, like Blue, I never thought I would either.

But my mind goes back to when Dean said, on looking back over 1992-2002, that "hardly any" of it was enjoyable.

And I look at them now and 3/4 of the original band seems totally re-focused and ready to prove themselves all over again. I don't think they should be denied and I feel they deserve my support after all they've given me and my musical life over the years. That's it really.

As much as I'd love to see Scott get his head out of his ass and things to get back to the way they were, there's no denying that during the few songs they played at KROQ...the band seemed alive. Watch a performance from 1-2 years ago where they're playing the songs at a slower tempo and Scott is messing up songs, and then check out a few nights ago. They're playing with the excitement and vigor of a newly signed band eager to make their mark on the world.

The fatal flaw that we as fans could make is comparing the next STP album with Chester...to STP's best records with Scott. Not because of fears they won't compare, but because they SHOULDN'T be compared. Because they're different. This new STP, while it may have the same name...is a totally different beast. The classics may be performed, but there are big differences in the band's sound from the Scott days and "Out Of Time" does not sound the same as say "Sex Type Thing" or "Down". It's a totally new sound. Thus the upcoming record (or records) with Chester should be viewed as a new chapter in the STP mythology and a totally new story arc for the band. A reboot of the STP franchise and a chance for STP to rewrite their history, the way they want to write it...without drug, alcohol or substance abuse holding them back.

It may be weird not seeing Scott on stage, but the same was said for Alice In Chains and I feel that they've done alright with themselves since they've reformed. It's all about how you view it. You can either feel it's "Scott or no STP" and boycott any new material, or you can just sit back and enjoy the rock and look forward to Bennington, the DeLeos and Mr. Kretz rocking the fuck out every night and performing the tracks we've missed hearing for so long.

Momma might have come home with a new man, but this new daddy might just be a good fit for the family after all.

...now the only question is, do we have to change the security question on these boards now? >_>
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:53:57 PM by LPAssociationDerek »

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »
...now the only question is, do we have to change the security question on these boards now? >_>

I got that wrong when I registered.....  :-X

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2013, 11:58:37 PM »

As much as I'd love to see Scott get his head out of his ass and things to get back to the way they were, there's no denying that during the few songs they played at KROQ...the band seemed alive. Watch a performance from 1-2 years ago where they're playing the songs at a slower tempo and Scott is messing up songs, and then check out a few nights ago. They're playing with the excitement and vigor of a newly signed band eager to make their mark on the world.

The fatal flaw that we as fans could make is comparing the next STP album with Chester...to STP's best records with Scott. Not because of fears they won't compare, but because they SHOULDN'T be compared. Because they're different. This new STP, while it may have the same name...is a totally different beast. The classics may be performed, but there are big differences in the band's sound from the Scott days and thus the upcoming record (or records) with Chester should be viewed as a new chapter in the STP mythology and a totally new story arc for the band. A reboot of the STP franchise and a chance for STP to rewrite their history, the way they want to write it...without drug, alcohol or substance abuse holding them back.

It may be weird not seeing Scott on stage, but the same was said for Alice In Chains and I feel that they've done alright with themselves since they've reformed. It's all about how you view it. You can either feel it's "Scott or no STP" and boycott any new material, or you can just sit back and enjoy the rock and look forward to Bennington, the DeLeos and Mr. Kretz rocking the fuck out every night and performing the tracks we've missed hearing for so long.

Momma might have come home with a new man, but this new daddy might just be a good fit for the family after all.

The band looking like they're alive? They do that every time they get paid well. Check the reunion videos where Scott was messed up as all hell.
Although, to credit your description, I doubt Bennington will be giving them a reason to be pissed off, since he'll pretty much do as they say unless it involves tampering LP's schedule.

Also.. Layne is dead. Any idiot that bitches about Layne not being up there, truly doesn't give a shit about the band. AIC's shows feel like more of a tribute to Layne; completely different vibe there.
If you only knew..

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:17 AM »
Also.. Layne is dead. Any idiot that bitches about Layne not being up there, truly doesn't give a shit about the band. AIC's shows feel like more of a tribute to Layne; completely different vibe there.
I concede that point. The reformed AIC is more of a tribute to the AIC legacy/Layne than anything else. Where I was getting at with that comparison, is just how good Black Gives Way To Blue was. Some may disagree with me, but I considered it to not only be a hell of a comeback (considering the absence of Layne's irreplacable vocals) but probably one of the best rock records released that year. New AIC might be "different" but it still sounds absolutely incredible. There's every chance that STP W/Chester could be incredible too.

But then again, it could be below average. It all depends on how Chester's songwriting abilities shine now that he's working with Stone Temple Pilots. As a Linkin Park fan I'm excited to see if LP were holding him back, but as a STP fan since age 6, I'm cautious...because Scott was in a league of his own lyrically.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2013, 12:50:32 AM »
there are big differences in the band's sound from the Scott days and "Out Of Time" does not sound the same as say "Sex Type Thing" or "Down". It's a totally new sound.
Thus the upcoming record (or records) with Chester should be viewed as a new chapter in the STP mythology and a totally new story arc for the band. A reboot of the STP
franchise and a chance for STP to rewrite their history, the way they want to write it...without drug, alcohol or substance abuse holding them back.

I don't know that I agree with this at all man.... I mean the spirit of what you are saying is intact okay? But to be honest Chester cribbed a play from the STP lyrical and melody play book for "Out of Time". I know you come from the LP side of the camp, but if you familiarize yourself with the Scott catalog you'll begin to see that Chester was doing one hell of a Weiland impersonation with that tune. And you know what? Rightfully so as a methodology to stay true to the band's roots - after all Chester didn't come on board to STP to make Linkin Park music.

There were definite lyrical cues to the Weiland testosterone swagger of things in the words and as well as the melody - enough so that I'll bet Robert had a hand in creating the vocal linework there too. Basically, maybe from the LP camp it's a new sound, but not for the STP camp (which if you think about it, is actually a compliment to Chester's work on "Out of Time"). I'd recognize those winding vocals and slight brooding edge anywhere, although some of the near screams in the tune are clearly Chester's work. ;) 

I think it's clear that the Linkin Park camp is a dedicated fan base.  Hell I've always been into LP... I'd single it down to when I first caught "One Step Closer" right after some Papa Roach video on that obscure MTV show about "new bands" back in '99 or whatever it was.   I've bought every album since then from day one, and that's because LP was an evolution of alternative rock that I was into in the early and mid 90's. The difference? I don't think that as many LP fans would know STP's catalog the way that STP fans might know LP, but it's not because LP was the bigger band, but rather a generational thing from "who came first". 

STP has always had a "new sound" with each album, but each album has also always sounded like STP. That's a signature of this band, but I think that we are going to find that more of that came from the three rather than the one that we might've thought otherwise for years.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:02:56 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2013, 01:27:22 AM »
there are big differences in the band's sound from the Scott days and "Out Of Time" does not sound the same as say "Sex Type Thing" or "Down". It's a totally new sound.
Thus the upcoming record (or records) with Chester should be viewed as a new chapter in the STP mythology and a totally new story arc for the band. A reboot of the STP
franchise and a chance for STP to rewrite their history, the way they want to write it...without drug, alcohol or substance abuse holding them back.

I don't know that I agree with this at all man.... I mean the spirit of what you are saying is intact okay? But to be honest Chester cribbed a play from the STP lyrical and melody play book for "Out of Time". I know you come from the LP side of the camp, but if you familiarize yourself with the Scott catalog you'll begin to see that Chester was doing one hell of a Weiland impersonation with that tune. And you know what? Rightfully so as a methodology to stay true to the band's roots - after all Chester didn't come on board to STP to make Linkin Park music.

There were definite lyrical cues to the Weiland testosterone swagger of things in the words and as well as the melody - enough so that I'll bet Robert had a hand in creating the vocal linework there too. Basically, maybe from the LP camp it's a new sound, but not for the STP camp (which if you think about it, is actually a compliment to Chester's work on "Out of Time"). I'd recognize those winding vocals and slight brooding edge anywhere, although some of the near screams in the tune are clearly Chester's work. ;) 

I think it's clear that the Linkin Park camp is a dedicated fan base.  Hell I've always been into LP... I'd single it down to when I first caught "One Step Closer" right after some Papa Roach video on that obscure MTV show about "new bands" back in '99 or whatever it was.   I've bought every album since then from day one, and that's because LP was an evolution of alternative rock that I was into in the early and mid 90's. The difference? I don't think that as many LP fans would know STP's catalog the way that STP fans might know LP, but it's not because LP was the bigger band, but rather a generational thing from "who came first". 

STP has always had a "new sound" with each album, but each album has also always sounded like STP. That's a signature of this band, but I think that we are going to find that more of that came from the three rather than the one that we might've thought otherwise for years.

I agree with this. STP fans know when songs are meant to e written for Scott from listening to Talk Show and AOA. Out Of Time has an STP Weiland sound. They put it out there as a statement.
There's no such thing as a new chapter or new sound for this band when it comes to their catalog because all their records are different. They wrote Bossa Nova songs in Shangri!

It's very obvious that the band is going to take their backto basics route this time, but instead they'll do it with Chester.... While their ignorance and egos blind them. They're so pissed off at Scott at the moment, that they're probably willing to do anything to bury anything relating to him as long as this new version of the band brings them $$$$$$
They'll try REAAALLLY hard to appeal to their hardcore fan base(playing deep cuts live, while just claiming that Scott couldnt sing them.), while Chester brings the new kids, and the rest of the regular listeners will follow it regardless.
You can bet that they're gonna write tunes that sound like their older records and mash them up in one.... Not realizing that it was thanks to Scott that their "arena rock" sound was able to kick the grunge bands in the ass. Don't think so? Think of any other guy from that era singing those songs? Or relate their writing styles to Scott's.
If Scott wasn't the king Midas of songwriting, he would have never gotten out of the "imitator" role the media loved to rip him for, and STP wouldn't have had the countless amounts of hits they've had.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:30:03 AM by VelvetLounngeFly »
If you only knew..

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2013, 01:34:01 AM »

I agree with this. STP fans know when songs are meant to e written for Scott from listening to Talk Show and AOA. Out Of Time has an STP Weiland sound. They put it out there as a statement.
There's no such thing as a new chapter or new sound for this band when it comes to their catalog because all their records are different. They wrote Bossa Nova songs in Shangri!

It's very obvious that the band is going to take their backto basics route this time, but instead they'll do it with Chester.... While their ignorance and egos blind them. They're so pissed off at Scott at the moment, that they're probably willing to do anything to bury anything relating to him as long as this new version of the band brings them $$$$$$
They'll try REAAALLLY hard to appeal to their hardcore fan base(playing deep cuts live, while just claiming that Scott couldnt sing them.), while Chester brings the new kids, and the rest of the regular listeners will follow it regardless.
You can bet that they're gonna write tunes that sound like their older records and mash them up in one.... Not realizing that it was thanks to Scott that their "arena rock" sound was able to kick the grunge bands in the ass. Don't think so? Think of any other guy from that era singing those songs? Or relate their writing styles to Scott's.
If Scott wasn't the king Midas of songwriting, he would have never gotten out of the "imitator" role the media loved to rip him for, and STP wouldn't have had the countless amounts of hits they've had.

^^^I really hope so.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2013, 01:38:08 AM »
Scott is a brilliant songwriter, but so are the DeLeos/Kretz.  All four of them changed up their styles significantly on the 5 post Core records.  None of them have a 'midas touch' though commercially.  Scott's two solo albums bombing sales wise proves this.  The only success any of them have had outside of the band is when Scott was able to hook up with the Guns N' Roses guys.  STP now will likely have similar success since they were able to get the singer from Linkin Park.

I do agree that we'll probably get the heaviest album since No. 4.  They're going to be shooting for the stars with this one, they know the album has to be full of hits.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2013, 01:52:05 AM »
Scott is a brilliant songwriter, but so are the DeLeos/Kretz.  All four of them changed up their styles significantly on the 5 post Core records.  None of them have a 'midas touch' though commercially.  Scott's two solo albums bombing sales wise proves this.  The only success any of them have had outside of the band is when Scott was able to hook up with the Guns N' Roses guys.  STP now will likely have similar success since they were able to get the singer from Linkin Park.

I do agree that we'll probably get the heaviest album since No. 4.  They're going to be shooting for the stars with this one, they know the album has to be full of hits.

That's simply because Scott writes for himself on his solo albums. I find songs on there that I like more than some songs from S/T and VR.
I'm not taking anything away from the Deleos and Kretz, but Scott is the one that brings the songs to life with his melodies. I sometimes listen to STP instrumentals just to hear how good the groove is and it never ceases to amaze me. I was listening to Regeneration last night, just thinking "DAMN! :-o "
Slash's new record bores the fuck out of me, and is rather listen to the instruments... Because Myles Kenndy bores the living fuck out of me. I don't give a shit how many notes he can hit.
Scott was the one that made those VR songs what they are. No matter how good the music is, STP and VR aren't going to put out records without vocals.

I just want them to call it something else. It really annoys the shit out of me. It's a completely different identity, but at the end of the day, it'll come down to the fans. I'll buy the record. Won't see the show.
STP has always been a huge part of my life, and I'm glad some can take this and enjoy it for what it is. I'm not gonna sit here and claim some aren't TRUE fans like others are doing just for taking this in such a positive way, but it's just pretty unsettling with me. IT'S STILL REAALL TO MEE DAMMIT!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:56:47 AM by VelvetLounngeFly »
If you only knew..

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2013, 02:02:45 AM »
Scott's melodies bring the DeLeos/Kretz's music to life, just like the DeLeos/Kretz's music brings Scott's melodies/voice to life.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2013, 02:08:48 AM »
It's like I've been having amazing sex with the same woman for 20 years but now when I look at her face al I see is a 14 year old boy.  This is how I feel about stp right now.
LOL! That's fucked up man. I hope you get your lady back someday.....

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2013, 02:09:06 AM »

That's simply because Scott writes for himself on his solo albums. I find songs on there that I like more than some songs from S/T and VR.
I'm not taking anything away from the Deleos and Kretz, but Scott is the one that brings the songs to life with his melodies. I sometimes listen to STP instrumentals just to hear how good the groove is and it never ceases to amaze me. I was listening to Regeneration last night, just thinking "DAMN! :-o "
Slash's new record bores the fuck out of me, and is rather listen to the instruments... Because Myles Kenndy bores the living fuck out of me. I don't give a shit how many notes he can hit.
Scott was the one that made those VR songs what they are. No matter how good the music is, STP and VR aren't going to put out records without vocals.

I just want them to call it something else. It really annoys the shit out of me. It's a completely different identity, but at the end of the day, it'll come down to the fans. I'll buy the record. Won't see the show.
STP has always been a huge part of my life, and I'm glad some can take this and enjoy it for what it is. I'm not gonna sit here and claim some aren't TRUE fans like others are doing just for taking this in such a positive way, but it's just pretty unsettling with me. IT'S STILL REAALL TO MEE DAMMIT!

I'm totally with you.  But right now the Deleos hold the cards, for some unconfirmed reason they have control of the name.  That's the difference here.  How is it that the Deleos get to control the name?  I hope Scotty boy can move them off this, but I'm not sure.  Van Halen was able to move Diamond Dave.  Thank god the band's name isn't called the Deleos.  Scott's got a chance to fight this.  I hope he pulls a Rocky Balboa and keeps on punching.   

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2013, 02:10:34 AM »
I understand why some of you are mad/angry/upset about this "New Era" and if this would have happened back in '02 when they broke up I would be completely out of mind at just the fact of another singer coming aboard.  They were amazing, their concerts were something to behold and they were firing on all cylinders.  After this reunion it just seemed like a cheap imitation of what I had remembered them to be.  It made me lose a lot of what I felt was so amazing about them and I blame most of that on Scott.  It just didn't seem like STP to me anymore and that is why I am okay with this. 

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2013, 02:14:07 AM »
I think the DeLeos and Kretz have control of the name because they outnumber Scott 3 vs. 1.