September 20, 2024, 01:39:52 PM

Author Topic: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]  (Read 23085 times)

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
um I dunno.  I just looked at Doors feed on Facebook.  Post says he died in hospital....I don't know what to believe now....

Anyone see anything from AP?
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:23 PM »
Well I apologize. I saw it straight from the official 'The Doors' facebook page and jumped the gun on posting here about it. So, it is just a hoax? That's fucking lame.
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
Quote from his reps:

"He joins the long list of celebrities who have been victimized by this hoax. He's still alive and well, stop believing what you see on the Internet"
If you only knew..

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »
Quote from his reps:

"He joins the long list of celebrities who have been victimized by this hoax. He's still alive and well, stop believing what you see on the Internet"

Well, that's a relief. Good to know. But again, real lame about death hoaxes, and shows how well the guys running The Doors facebook is doing their job.
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
From Associated Press:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_RAY_MANZAREK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-20-17-18-36

Should we make a new thread at this point to stop derailing all the others?
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »
I think for me, it's also the fact that it's Chester Bennington. Shit, if William Duvall was a bigger name and wasn't a part of Alice In Chains, I'd dig this whole thing a lot better. There's nothing I like about Bennington. Him to me, is just like the other dozens of little toolish punk poser kids that made it in the early 2000's. There is nothing that screams rock and roll about this kid. Yea, if he joined Styx Foreigner, or Tool, he could get away with it, but NOT STP.
When rumors about his joining VR began.. I was like, nah, he won't join because he respects Scott too much.( not that I would listen to VR without Scott)
And this was his quote..

“It would be very uncomfortable for me to join that band because I’m friends with all of them, including Scott. If I was even going to do just one show, or record just one song with them, I’d have to know it was okay with my band, all those guys and Scott too.”

Seeing this interview, makes me cringe because of him. "Less talk, more rock"
No. You wouldn't talk because you were afraid of not being accepted by fans. None of them made any announcements because they feared rejection from fans. Sure, he'll get plenty of newer generation fans who will cheer no matter what, even if they don't like the music, but I highly doubt all of this wouldn't have been taken well if they announced it prior to the performance. Smart move on their part.

Well, I hope he enjoys his wet dream til it lasts.

And where the hell is Vaporized? We've should have known!! He's been telling us for a while!!

"My house is bigger than yours!" That was a sign of Chester joining!!! Or maybe.......
Vaporized IS Chester!! Dun Dun DUNNNN

Part of me is nervous about defending Chester on an STP fan board, cause the last thing I want to do is cause waves here (since I'm new), but I really think you have the wrong idea about Chester. Yeah he isn't as "rock and roll" as Weiland, or Morrison or [insert other big name rocker here] but if you're basing your opinion of him off of Linkin Park, know that he actually started out as grunge singer and the whole "nu-metal" thing happened after he had already been singing for 10 years. Sure he wasn't a big name back then in the 1990s, but he actually used to be in a Arizona grunge rock band named Grey Daze that released about 2 records, had some local airplay and played a few label showcases before breaking up in the mid-90s. His formulative years as a vocalist were spent singing music that had more in common with STP than it did to Linkin Park.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYaJQ9EOd1k
And here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0da_V5Yykc

He used to sing a lot deeper, but sung higher when he joined Linkin Park as their *new* vocalist in 1999.

My point is, even though LP's first two albums were nu-metal (they haven't sounded like that for about seven years) Chester certainly can handle this style of music.

Again, not trying to force a change in your opinion, or ruffle any feathers...just begging for some of the non-believers to give him a chance. Yeah, I'll be first to admit that Scott will always be STP (STP were my first true experience with rock when I was a kid) but I think this could work out beautifully. Even if they aren't the "true Stone Temple Pilots".

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
I think for me, it's also the fact that it's Chester Bennington. Shit, if William Duvall was a bigger name and wasn't a part of Alice In Chains, I'd dig this whole thing a lot better. There's nothing I like about Bennington. Him to me, is just like the other dozens of little toolish punk poser kids that made it in the early 2000's. There is nothing that screams rock and roll about this kid. Yea, if he joined Styx Foreigner, or Tool, he could get away with it, but NOT STP.
When rumors about his joining VR began.. I was like, nah, he won't join because he respects Scott too much.( not that I would listen to VR without Scott)
And this was his quote..

“It would be very uncomfortable for me to join that band because I’m friends with all of them, including Scott. If I was even going to do just one show, or record just one song with them, I’d have to know it was okay with my band, all those guys and Scott too.”

Seeing this interview, makes me cringe because of him. "Less talk, more rock"
No. You wouldn't talk because you were afraid of not being accepted by fans. None of them made any announcements because they feared rejection from fans. Sure, he'll get plenty of newer generation fans who will cheer no matter what, even if they don't like the music, but I highly doubt all of this wouldn't have been taken well if they announced it prior to the performance. Smart move on their part.

Well, I hope he enjoys his wet dream til it lasts.

And where the hell is Vaporized? We've should have known!! He's been telling us for a while!!

"My house is bigger than yours!" That was a sign of Chester joining!!! Or maybe.......
Vaporized IS Chester!! Dun Dun DUNNNN

Part of me is nervous about defending Chester on an STP fan board, cause the last thing I want to do is cause waves here (since I'm new), but I really think you have the wrong idea about Chester. Yeah he isn't as "rock and roll" as Weiland, or Morrison or [insert other big name rocker here] but if you're basing your opinion of him off of Linkin Park, know that he actually started out as grunge singer and the whole "nu-metal" thing happened after he had already been singing for 10 years. Sure he wasn't a big name back then in the 1990s, but he actually used to be in a Arizona grunge rock band named Grey Daze that released about 2 records, had some local airplay and played a few label showcases before breaking up in the mid-90s. His formulative years as a vocalist were spent singing music that had more in common with STP than it did to Linkin Park.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYaJQ9EOd1k
And here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0da_V5Yykc

He used to sing a lot deeper, but sung higher when he joined Linkin Park as their *new* vocalist in 1999.

My point is, even though LP's first two albums were nu-metal (they haven't sounded like that for about seven years) Chester certainly can handle this style of music.

Again, not trying to force a change in your opinion, or ruffle any feathers...just begging for some of the non-believers to give him a chance. Yeah, I'll be first to admit that Scott will always be STP (STP were my first true experience with rock when I was a kid) but I think this could work out beautifully. Even if they aren't the "true Stone Temple Pilots".

It's all good man, opinions will be opinions on top and bottom of opinions, haha. That's what we are here to do.

I see where you're coming from, but STP isn't even considered grunge to me. At the end of the day, this isn't Stone Temple Pilots. They may want to believe that, but it sure as hell isn't.
I guess there's a lot of factors for me that cause more frustration and hit me harder due to these facts:

I don't listen to any of today's "rock". I don't understand it, it doesn't connect with me, I find it laughable and just plain silly.

STP isn't just one of my favorite bands, but when a band I like a lot still together, I look forward to any work they're doing due to the fact I've expressed above.

Again.. There's nothing I like about Chester Bennington. Sure, William Duvall is also no Scott Weiland, but he gets it. Watching Alice in Chains today, you get a vibe that they're completely respectful to Layne, and it almost feels like a tribute to him.

The Chester performance looked forced and odd. Just like any Guns N Roses non STP fan would have felt about Scott in VR, while not knowing that Scott constantly changes his image and style. I like both bands, so it worked for me.

This would obviously settle better with me if I was a Linkin Park fan, but I'm not, therefore I'm already set to hate it. I listened to the new song, and I didn't hate it, but it didn't sound like something I should hit play on again. It was meh. This is coming from someone who heard AoA's "Goodbye" on it's release day and couldn't stop listening.
If you only knew..

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2013, 11:25:06 PM »
I will agree that it doesn't sound like classic STP. Jury's out on whether or not that will be a good thing, I'm waiting for the album to reserve judgement. I'll still see them live with Chester, regardless.

And this is coming from a Linkin Park fan haha.

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2013, 12:09:05 AM »
I want to reiterate again. This is so fucking weird!!

"Less talk, more rock!"? Wtf?? Anyone else remember Weiland saying that shit? I can't be the only one. I think that was at the 99 House of Blues show.

Also, AoA brought some Filter fans, VR brought the GnR crowd... Now Chester will open doors for the LP fans. So crazy!

And three things for the LP fans: 1) Welcome! 2) Don't mind the initial hate. It's like mom bringing home someone else other than dad for the first time since the divorce. Chester will win most of them over. And 3) there is no need to be so well versed and grammatically correct. The DeLeos, like myself, are from Jersey. It's all good to curse and spell shit wrong ;)

Oh, and as for the songwriting process. DeLeos wrote all the music and Scott wrote all the melodies and lyrics.

adhesive love

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »
It's nice to see all of the activity on this board again, it was all homogenizing into sports, other bands, and the occasional "Scott sucks" from a certain poster  ::) 
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46:29 AM »

Oh, and as for the songwriting process. DeLeos wrote all the music and Scott wrote all the melodies and lyrics.

Dude, be careful. Don't forget that Eric wrote the music for Trippin. Hell hath no fury like Eric Kretz not getting the credit he deserves...(MURDER)

I thought Chester came off confident but polite. Careful not to overstep his boundaries. He obviously knows something we don't, but he also doesn't want to offend his childhood idol. One thing's for sure, from the reactions of Rob and Dean, they could not give less of a shit about Scott right now
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 06:33:37 AM »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 07:59:20 PM by Flyingmerpa »

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:35 AM »
Im curious to see where this goes. I like linkin park. The deleo bros deserve to be happy and lp has been just as famous if not morr than stp the last decade. Maybe it will help revive stps future. This is just a cool project!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
They need to change the name of the band. Period.  Then, and only then, can they do the fuck they want.

That's objectively untrue though. They can do what the fuck they want right now, as evidenced by the fact that they just did.

Hybrid

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Joe and I Help contribute news for Derek's Linkin Park fansite, www.lpassociation.com. I am thoroughly excited for the addition of Chester to Stone Temple Pilots. I grew up listening to STP on rock stations as well as listening to them on my older brother's CD's. It wasn't until I was in my early-mid 20's until I really started to appreciate STP. This is going to sound bad, but stick with me, there is actually a point I'm going to make here... I always thought of Scott's voice as nasaly, whiny and weird growing up. I then discovered Linkin Park in mid-late 2000 when I was 16 and was one of those instantly hooked fans. I really love what they've done throughout their music career and I am one of their most loyal fans that they have. It's kind of funny how I said what I did about the way Scott sings, seeing as the same can pretty much be said about the singer of my favorite band. That being said, when I started to appreciate STP about 5-10 years ago, I really started seeing the similarities in Chester and Scott's voices. The inspiration for the way Chester sings is brutally obvious, at least to me, with how Scott sings. That being said, with the rest of STP moving forward, I really feel, much like Derek does, that Chester is a perfect fit. I whole-heartedly believe that no other "big name" vocalist could fill in the void that Scott left open other than Chester. They have very similar singing styles. Chester is also one of the most diverse singers of recent musical history. For those that are still skeptical of what they are doing, I beg of you to atleast be open to change and to not dismiss it right away.