September 20, 2024, 12:50:03 PM

Author Topic: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]  (Read 23079 times)

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP/Chester Interview [18.05.2013]
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »
This would be reaaaaaallly cool if they had a different name, wrote different songs, played 2 or 2 STP songs and same for Linkin Park songs, but no. They shit allllll over the way Scott shit's all over. It's so sad when bands forget the integrity of the music, and what got them up there in the first place, to quickly forget it all, make a ton of cash, and act like their band is some sort of coorporate brand name.

If Scott was dead, cool! The kid idolized him! Perfect story! But... Scott isn't. No matter how much of a dick he is, HE is the most important part of the band. His melodies and songwriting made us fall in love with the band.

This whole thing is just not working for me.

I've said this over and over again... Scott needs to put himself through the intense training Duff had him go through. He needs to get better and healthier. I wouldn't even give a shit if STP didn't take him back, but I want him to get the last laugh on this, the way VR did on Axl.
If you only knew..

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
This would be reaaaaaallly cool if they had a different name, wrote different songs, played 2 or 2 STP songs and same for Linkin Park songs, but no. They shit allllll over the way Scott shits all over. It's so sad when bands forget the integrity of the music, and what got them up there in the first place, to quickly forget it all, make a ton of cash, and act like their band is some sort of coorporate brand name.

If Scott was dead, cool! The kid idolized him! Perfect story! But... Scott isn't. No matter how much of a dick he is, HE is the most important part of the band. His melodies and songwriting made us fall in love with the band.

I've said this over and over again... Scott needs to put himself through the intense training Duff had him go through. He needs to get better and healthier. I wouldn't even give a shit if STP didn't take him back, but I want him to get the last laugh on this, the way VR did on Axl.
If you only knew..

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »
Sorry, double post while attempting to modify :-/
If you only knew..

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 08:35:15 PM »
This would be reaaaaaallly cool if they had a different name, wrote different songs, played 2 or 2 STP songs and same for Linkin Park songs, but no. They shit allllll over the way Scott shit's all over. It's so sad when bands forget the integrity of the music, and what got them up there in the first place, to quickly forget it all, make a ton of cash, and act like their band is some sort of coorporate brand name.

Yes, but can the same be said for Scott going out on tour with his solo band playing a setlist of predominantly Core/Purple and pitching it as "I wanted to but STP didn't want to, so here it is".
He may not be calling it STP, but he's calling it a Purple to the Core tour.

Shouldn't the same "integrity" and "what got them there" ethics be applied? And for all intents and purposes, he fired first and allegedly was warned not to do it.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

PigsinZen

• Hickory Dichotomy
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Superman with Silvergun
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2013, 08:45:29 PM »
This is really hitting me hard. I don't like the idea of another person being a part of the legacy. If their album and tour is a success, say goodbye to Scott. The name change would make this pill easier to swallow. I rewatched the 2010 Howard stern interview with the band, it's funny how much he emphasizes that they should stay together. And he asks what Scott thinks about bands that go on without their lead singer. I'm actually emotional about this whole situation. No disrespect to Chester, but he should stay away from the brand STP. I don't care for the song either. I can't possibly support this. I know Scott is to blame but this is just seems like a slap in the face to Scott and the fans.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »

Yes, but can the same be said for Scott going out on tour with his solo band playing a setlist of predominantly Core/Purple and pitching it as "I wanted to but STP didn't want to, so here it is".
He may not be calling it STP, but he's calling it a Purple to the Core tour.

Shouldn't the same "integrity" and "what got them there" ethics be applied? And for all intents and purposes, he fired first and allegedly was warned not to do it.

Oh, I most definitely hear you on that, I just don't think the guys should lower themselves to Scott's awful practices. Yes, they need to get out there, but this shit shouldn't constantly be about money for them. I know they've probably thought, "shit, we've never gone out there as STP for respect, but this does it", So it's just a shitty situation altogether.  While I do understand every single point and fact on their end, I just don't feel it's the right thing to do for the fans. On my part, I'll simply choose to buy their disc to support the boys, but I won't be attending their shows, or buying merchandise. Same reason I didn't attend the purple at the core thing. I got free tickets from a friend, and still didn't attend due to a storm. I just couldn't see myself paying for that program. Would I buy a ticket to see Scott solo performing HIS songs and promoting his solo record, yes, as long as that is what he's doing. A purple at the core for number four in the middle of Shangri la's tiny Vatican shop tour? Most definitely not.
If you only knew..

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »
Understood. But at the end of the day it IS a business entity and this is their livelihood. There's a lot of complication that goes beyond band/fan relationship.
I don't pretend to know what goes on in their inner circle, but clearly they've tried the OTHER ALTERNATIVE (different name) twice to no avail.
They WANT to play the songs they wrote. [just like Jerry & co reformed AIC so they can play the songs that they wrote - everyone knows it's not the same w/out Layne]

And believe me...I feel a little like you do, but the other side of me kinda feels like Scott had them over a barrel.
I remember after VR there was an interview in which one of the Deleos when asked about Scott's struggles, he said something to the effect of "we've come to accept that this is who Scott is". that was a huge mistake...it showed tolerance for his issues, it showed that Scott would feel no repercussions for his lifestyle choices. Scott ALREADY has his solo band, he can go out and keep STP waiting...well, I suppose enough was enough.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
Hey everyone, new member of the forums here. Please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Derek and I am the owner of The Linkin Park Association (www.lpassociation.com). We've been around since 2002, and have been faithfully covering Linkin Park for about 11 years now.

I figured with Chester now being a part of Stone Temple Pilots, now would be a better time than ever to come on board and say hello.

Like some of you on this board, Stone Temple Pilots were my childhood. Core was actually one of the first rock albums I ever listened to back when it came out, and introduced me to the hard rock/grunge/alternative rock scene that conquered most of the early nineties. I consider some of their earlier albums to be some of the best rock records of the past 30 years and I have nothing but the highest respect for STP and what they've done for music. To me, there is rock and then there is Stone Temple Pilots.

Which is what makes this announcement both bittersweet and incredibly exciting at the same time. Bittersweet because it brings to life a sad reality how far gone Scott really is, but exciting because of the fact that another vocalist I consider to be legendary in his own right is now fronting one of my favorite rock groups of all time.

Sure it will never quite be "STP" without Scott (just like Alice In Chains will never quite be the same without Layne, although Layne passed and Scott did not) but I have been wishing for so long for STP to get back on track that I'm willing to accept this change.

Chester is incredibly versatile. Even as a Linkin Park fan I can state that he doesn't even come close to exploring his true range in LP. Chester can nail classic rock like Bon Scott/Robert Plant (there's videos of this on YouTube) with "Camp Freddy", and then go on to sing hard rock in Linkin Park, or a pitch perfect cover of "Rolling In The Deep" at that same Linkin Park show. Although some people do not like his singing style (he does have a slight 'nasal tone' at times) I can only say that STP made the right choice in selecting Chester to fill the role. He may not quite sound like Scott, but his vocal chops are nothing to shrug at. The guy can sing, and he can sing well.

Like many of you, I had hoped Scott could pull his act together, but the DeLeo's and Kretz cant wait forever for things to happen. They're nearing their 50s and while many bands play well into their 70s (Rolling Stones, anyone?) it's either now or never.

I am approaching this new development in STP history with excitement. Excitement as an STP fan who is eager to see the remaining members of STP finally happy to be making music again and having fun on stage. I'll be there in the front row, cheering them (and Chester) on.

Bring on the future baby!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:41:42 PM by LPAssociationDerek »

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
Hey everyone, new member of the forums here. Please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Derek and I am the owner of The Linkin Park Association (www.lpassociation.com). We've been around since 2002, and have been faithfully covering Linkin Park for about 11 years now.

I figured with Chester now being a part of Stone Temple Pilots, now would be a better time than ever to come on board and say hello.

Like some of you on this board, Stone Temple Pilots were my childhood. Core was actually one of the first rock albums I ever listened to back it came out, and introduced me to the hard rock/grunge/alternative rock scene that conquered most of the early nineties. I consider some of their earlier albums to be some of the best rock records of the past 30 years and I have nothing but the highest respect for STP and what they've done for music. To me, there is rock and then there is Stone Temple Pilots.

Which is what makes this announcement both bittersweet and incredibly exciting at the same time. Bittersweet because it brings to life a sad reality how far gone Scott really is, but exciting because of the fact that another vocalist I consider to be legendary in his own right is now fronting one of my favorite rock groups of all time.

Sure it will never quite be "STP" without Scott (just like Alice In Chains will never quite be the same without Layne, although Layne passed and Scott did not) but I have been wishing for so long for STP to get back on track that I'm willing to accept this change.

Chester is incredibly versatile. Even as a Linkin Park fan I can state that he doesn't even come close to exploring his true range in LP. Chester can nail classic rock like Bon Scott/Robert Plant (there's videos of this on YouTube) with "Camp Freddy", and then go on to sing hard rock in Linkin Park, or a pitch perfect cover of "Rolling In The Deep" at that same Linkin Park show. Although some people do not like his singing style (he does have a slight 'nasal tone' at times) I can only say that STP made the right choice in selecting Chester to fill the role. He may not quite be Scott, but his vocal chops are nothing to shrug at. The guy can sing, and he can sing well.

Like many of you, I had hoped Scott could pull his act together, but the DeLeo's and Kretz cant wait forever for things to happen. They're nearing their 50s and while many bands play well into their 70s (Rolling Stones, anyone?) it's either now or never.

I am approaching this new development in STP history with excitement. Excitement as an STP fan who is eager to see the remaining members of STP finally happy to be making music again and having fun on stage. I'll be there in the front row, cheering them (and Chester) on.

Bring on the future baby!

Awesome to hear! It's quite exciting to see an influx of new STP fans.  Welcome & make yourself at home.
:)
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

stprime

• Exclu-DEAD
  • Arrival
  • Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »
i've supported them through all their previous breaks and i will continue to do so now. i was kinda hopping for another talk show album, ha ha, but i'll take what i can get. i don't really enjoy linkin park but i kinda like the way this sounds. so i'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Evil, it's just sooo much easier.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
I think for me, it's also the fact that it's Chester Bennington. Shit, if William Duvall was a bigger name and wasn't a part of Alice In Chains, I'd dig this whole thing a lot better. There's nothing I like about Bennington. Him to me, is just like the other dozens of little toolish punk poser kids that made it in the early 2000's. There is nothing that screams rock and roll about this kid. Yea, if he joined Styx Foreigner, or Tool, he could get away with it, but NOT STP.
When rumors about his joining VR began.. I was like, nah, he won't join because he respects Scott too much.( not that I would listen to VR without Scott)
And this was his quote..

“It would be very uncomfortable for me to join that band because I’m friends with all of them, including Scott. If I was even going to do just one show, or record just one song with them, I’d have to know it was okay with my band, all those guys and Scott too.”

Seeing this interview, makes me cringe because of him. "Less talk, more rock"
No. You wouldn't talk because you were afraid of not being accepted by fans. None of them made any announcements because they feared rejection from fans. Sure, he'll get plenty of newer generation fans who will cheer no matter what, even if they don't like the music, but I highly doubt all of this wouldn't have been taken well if they announced it prior to the performance. Smart move on their part.

Well, I hope he enjoys his wet dream til it lasts.

And where the hell is Vaporized? We've should have known!! He's been telling us for a while!!

"My house is bigger than yours!" That was a sign of Chester joining!!! Or maybe.......
Vaporized IS Chester!! Dun Dun DUNNNN
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:07:40 PM by VelvetLounngeFly »
If you only knew..

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »

Hey Scott, call up Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger and go do a Doors thing. :)

I was going to make a different comment about this, but just saw on my news feed that sadly, Ray Manzarek passed away today at 74. What a real loss. Love The Doors.
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »

I was going to make a different comment about this, but just saw on my news feed that sadly, Ray Manzarek passed away today at 74. What a real loss. Love The Doors.

FUCK NO!  Are you serious?
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »

Please tell me that this is a sick joke. Pleasssseee :(:(:(
If you only knew..

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »
DEATH HOAX!!

THANK FUCKING GOD!!

I was just watching a bunch of videos of him explaining songs on keys!!!

I feel much better now! Phewwww
If you only knew..