September 29, 2024, 01:20:20 AM

Author Topic: The band sounds the best it has in twelve years with Chester Bennington.  (Read 10658 times)

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
Setlist:

01. Vasoline
02. Big Bang Baby
03. Wicked Garden
04. Sex Type Thing
05. Out Of Time
06. Interstate Love Song
07. Dead And Bloated
08. Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart

Can we get 320 mp3 downloads of this show?
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Silverman Supergun

• Thetan level 7
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxhohGWCBQ   The underlying dialogue that starts around 28 seconds is hilarious.  Excited yet confused concertgoers...
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes cause I walked too softly.  But in my defense, he was a Macho Pendejo.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Well, at least when they go on tour, we know they won't be two hours late  ;)

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxhohGWCBQ   The underlying dialogue that starts around 28 seconds is hilarious.  Excited yet confused concertgoers...

Haha, that's funny.  Bennington looks nothing like Scott even with the attire tbh.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
And I'm out.  I've followed this band and have been part of the online community since the very early days.... through the highs and the lows, but this is much lower than I ever want to go.  It's a shame that this had to happen but it's not STP without Weiland.

It's definitely not STP with a rap/rock douchebag at the helm.

RIPSTP

-LD

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Go ahead Chester, wear stuff that resembles Scott in any way you want, but this is proof from STP's last tour that Scott can fart these songs better than you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJLZimaVT0U

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
This thread is entirely false.  I've seen STP four times since their reunion, and in 3 out of the 4 performances they were on fucking fire.  Scott and the rest of the guys were on point and were in great spirits.  Don't let the wishy-washy nature of this band cloud your judgement on just how great they have been at times. 
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzm1acTP2WE

Holy shit, imagine being there in the pit, having no idea that STP would take the stage then see that song to start the show.  being blown away by the music and the fact that there's no explanation for the band or singer.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Go ahead Chester, wear stuff that resembles Scott in any way you want, but this is proof from STP's last tour that Scott can fart these songs better than you.

Oh yeah Scott had solid performances even in 2011, but that's the year it really started going downhill.  The hit and miss nature of live shows started to lean towards miss rather than hit.  He was bad/mediocre for most of the STP and solo shows in 2012.  The reunion era of STP had some AMAZING shows though.

One thing I noticed in that video though is how miserable Dean looked.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

stpfan31

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
As much as I hate to say it, this sounds a hell of a lot more like the band that played Rolling Rock than the STP of 2012.

That's the exact vibe I was getting watching some video's of the performance. It feels fresh, and Chester's got a great voice that I feel
fits the songs very well. He may not be Scott, but honestly neither is Scott himself in a sense. As much as I hate to admit it, he's just a
shell of what he used to be. Chester grew up idolizing Scott and his persona and it shows in the performances. I think this was a great
move by the band, feels more STP than 2008-2013 STP with Scott

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I saw STP on the SLDD, Reunion & S/T tours, and they were absolutely fucking amazing every time, so I can't agree that this is better than they have been in 12 years.

It is good though, no doubt about that. He fits them very well. I bet he will be more consistent too, as although all the shows I have personally attended were great, I have seen some absolutely dire footage of other gigs from the same time period.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile

Oh yeah Scott had solid performances even in 2011, but that's the year it really started going downhill.  The hit and miss nature of live shows started to lean towards miss rather than hit.  He was bad/mediocre for most of the STP and solo shows in 2012.  The reunion era of STP had some AMAZING shows though.

I saw that right away too. Looks like Dean is a little grumpy, kinda bad he couldn't put on a half smile for the show he was playing, just for the fans sake...

For me it's not just a STP deal. If other bands I've listened to over the years all the sudden decided they can't get along with their original singer, and replaced him...it wouldn't work for me going forward. There is so much of the singer in a band that it's like trying to replace the heart of the group. It's the singers stories/voice/look/stage presence that are the obvious things about any band. You remove the original singer... all of that is lost.

Bring in Chester, but it's not STP. Scott is STP. As far as Chester covering these songs with the the rest of the boys, he did OK. It was nothing that sounded impressive. It sounded like good covers that might come along once in awhile on the different TV singing shows.

I also think it's even more of a slap in the face that they are playing STP music with a guy that in many ways idolized Scott and does have a style that resembles Scott. As big of a Scott fan as I am, I would think if I were in a position to be on stages everywhere... I would hope I wasn't doing something that seemed like I was a complete wannabe. Maybe take a little of what they do and blend it with new ideas. Chester moving around on stage the other night along with his look simply made it that much harder to see. I felt like he was trying to be Scott. That would insult me if someone took my roll somewhere and they were looking like me and doing similar things as I do at the same time. I've not seen him move around in those ways while playing in LP.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

OH BURN!

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

I agree with this the most so far.
What I'll add is that while the vast majority of performances were great up until about the start of 2012, they did slow the tempo on a lot of songs down since the reunion.  Whether that was a Scott thing or a collective thing we'll never know.
But to me it did give many of the songs a different vibe.  I still loved it but it seemed like they were putting off this older classic rock vibe, almost treating each song like a ballad instead of just kicking ass with the songs.

But it does seem in atleast one performance with Chester, they have picked up the pace.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I'm liking this new tune more every time I play it. It's got a pretty good energy to it.

As always, the Deleos' music is fantastic in this tune.

Let's hope this energy continues throughout the new album.

You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy