September 27, 2024, 05:21:52 PM

Author Topic: STONE TEMPLE PILOTS RETURN... W/ CHESTER BENNINGTON AS FRONTMAN!  (Read 72655 times)

chloesdad

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STONE TEMPLE PILOTS RETURN... W/ CHESTER BENNINGTON AS FRONTMAN!
« Reply #495 on: May 22, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »
haha who is that in the picture with Scott Robert and Eric again? I remember hearing it before...

Stephen Trask (Hedwig and the Angry Inch).  Also played in the studio on Revolution.

I think he also played on the live version of Revolution as well (from the Lennon tribute).

Correct, and a few live shows out on the east coast during Family Values.

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
  • "Purple Flowers Ease The Pain..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 22, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
There is no STP without Weiland.... Everybody here... Admiring how great (which it is miraculous music) the Deleo's and Kretz's musical talent is. Everybody here, please take all of the music back from Core to S/T and act like you received the same music Scott did from the rest of the band, insert your lyrics, passion, heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears etc. Would STP still be STP if your vocals and lyrics were fronting STP and not SW?? SHIIIEEEETTTT NO!!!! So don't say STP can be STP without SW because without SW... The Deleo's wouldn't have even had the success they did on their 'Talk Show' effort. They only sold the 80k records because of Scott and the STP fans who had $11 to blow... If SW wasn't so special lyrically, on stage and vocally, please insert your lyrics, on stage persona and vocals and let's see how great of a success that STP would be... Scott Weiland is the reason STP made any money, let alone a TON of $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!! Period!
"Adhesive Love"

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »
How much success has Scott had solo?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Ride the Cliche

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 22, 2013, 08:51:26 PM »
A little late to the party, but it’s taken me this long to get my thoughts in order!

First off, I will always support each original member of STP with whatever endeavors they embark on.  I love Scott, Rob, Dean, and Eric together and individually and have been honored by the fact that I have met all four members and through a stroke of luck, have had chances to talk at length with the DeLeos.  (I was the first person to break the news on the old, official STP board of them working with Richard Patrick nearly two years before AoA's album came out. Yes, no one believed me at the time and that taught me to not even bother with exclusives on the internet.)  Not only are they extraordinary musicians who influenced my musical outlook, but they all inspired me in different aspects on how to compose music, write songs, and perform.  They are and will be my favorite band of all time and personally, no one will be able to match the magic that they possess in studio and live.

Almost four days have passed since confirmation and I'm still in somewhat of a shock.  It's hard to fathom STP comprising of anyone else besides the Founding Four, but I totally understand the DeLeos and Kretz's decision to move forward in this manner.  I'm not a huge Linkin Park fan, although I did enjoy some of their earlier material.  Over the years, I've seen LP a handful of times as they were on bills of shows that I've seen and Chester has always delivered.  He may not have the timbre, tonality, or depth that Scott had at his peak, but he can sing, has a good range and most importantly, he loves STP.  While watching Saturday's set, I definitely felt the butterflies and nervousness from him but I could see how much respect he has for the STP name.

As far as the name controversy, it does get a bit gray for me, as one of the things I absolutely loved about STP was their ability to stay with the original lineup since they first formed.  Ideally, for many, they would use a different moniker but ideally, for everyone, Scott would be at the top of his game and all this would never have gone down.  Could they go with another name?  Sure, but as numerous people have pointed out, the STP brand carries the biggest stick.  IMO Rob, Dean, and Eric deserve to have all the success.  Their continued musical genius should be appreciated and adored by the masses, which would have a lesser chance of happening under a new name than in this manner.

Regarding live shows, I've been extremely fortunate as I can say that the majority of shows I've seen have been stellar.  No major tardiness, no glaring mistakes, none of the horror stories I heard about.  I'm talking about out of nearly 30 shows spanning nearly 15 years, only ONE sticks out as sub par.  It was a few years back, Scott was wasted, he flubbed Sour Girl (miscue, wrong lyrics, and wrong key) and they subsequently dropped it from the set from that point on.  Re-watching videos from this past weekend still makes me feel weird, and I don't know if I'll ever shake the feeling.  Chester is no Scott, but then again, there will never be another frontman like him.

I did find it hopeful that they didn't play Plush, and the optimist in me is holding out hope that neither they or Scott will ever play it without it being them four.  I know I'm being completely naive about it, but let me have my moment dammit :)

Anyway, I'm definitely penciled in for next Thursday and going to Scott the night before.  I am worried about Scott's frame of mind after such an announcement and hope that he kicks the drinking, "yes" men and filler to the curb and shows that he isn't some punchline.

I think I'll stop there and spare you all from the 2,000 words I was playing around with on this!
Too many shows to list...

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 22, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
Period!

The irony to this is hilarious.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 22, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »
@Ride the Cliche: awesome post mate. I'd give you 1000 karma points if I could.

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:27 PM »
Scott solo? Not so much but be honest with yourself. Without Weiland originally and throughout the past 20 years, does STP even happen to begin with? Without Weiland fronting STP and his efforts jump starting STP and 'Core', does STP ever take off? Hellll no... Don't lie to yourself... Look at the success SW had with VR... AoA with Richard who is a musical multi-platinum genius didn't do a thing!!! VR went multi-platinum!!! Selling out arenas across the world having roads shut down for them across seas. AoA did 40 shows at small clubs...
"Adhesive Love"

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »
ALSO, my final input, Robert's antics/actions during the interview were like an immature sophmore in HS. I literally lost all respect for him during that interview. Atleast Dean kept his head down, said he didn't have his numbers and left it at that. Robert wanted to make corney 50 year old man expressions. PATHETIC ROBERT!!!! I've lost all respect for the 3 of them left and Chester SW's "friend" for selling out on Scott. They're all rats. Especially Dean said if the original 4 aren't in, there will be no STP. Oh really Dean?? What just happened the other night? As much hell as SW has put them through pulling this rat trash to a family member who made them tons of $$$ and success is the snakiest ish ever! Change the name and move on. STOP DAMAGING THE STP LEGACY EVEN FURTHER!!!! Also, how bad was it on Scott that he wanted to celebrate 'Core' in it's entirety but the other 3 didn't so he went and did it with people that would with him. He was sick and tired of "Punching the clock".  I hope Scott has a beautiful wedding, The Wildabouts put out a bad ass record, with good or bad sales and he rides off into the sunset with his real friends and wife and I hope this girl really loves him for him. The guy we don't know in the media. Much love to Scott, R.I.P. STP, it was great while it lasted. I'm shattered by this trash going on... I just wish Scott happiness and health with his new wife and solo band. Mock them all you want, atleast they are sticking with him through these traumatic times.. Deleo's and Kretz = SNAKES!
"Adhesive Love"

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 22, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »
^ I'm sorry Scott's old backing band of lucky, freeloading journeymen let you down so badly.  ::)

Enjoy the new one.

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 22, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
I also love how 75%+ of you have Weiland as your picture or his lyrics as your quotes, but no, he wasn't the main focal point who brought the initial attention and all of the attention up through S/T... SW was STP.. Chester Bennington is a fake snake "friend" of Scott's, that's why I hate this the most. He sold out his "idol" F him and his whiny lyrics. What does he have to complain and whine about?? Weiland had his reasons for tragic, beautiful lyrics and rollercoaster cuts.. What's Bennington been through that all that emo angst is necessary?? LAME! Goodluck Deleo's and Kretz trying to get money from naive 20 year olds that are LP fans because this REAL STP fan is done with you snakes. You are allllll hypocrites, including your new "member"... If you changed the name and went about it without lauging at a man with a disease I'd consider giving it a try, but this way? Hell no.. Turning your back on family is the most hideous thing you can do on your short time on this planet... F'ing SAD!
"Adhesive Love"

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 22, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
I also love how 75%+ of you have Weiland as your picture or his lyrics as your quotes, but no, he wasn't the main focal point who brought the initial attention and all of the attention up through S/T... SW was STP.. Chester Bennington is a fake snake "friend" of Scott's, that's why I hate this the most. He sold out his "idol" F him and his whiny lyrics. What does he have to complain and whine about?? Weiland had his reasons for tragic, beautiful lyrics and rollercoaster cuts.. What's Bennington been through that all that emo angst is necessary?? LAME! Goodluck Deleo's and Kretz trying to get money from naive 20 year olds that are LP fans because this REAL STP fan is done with you snakes. You are allllll hypocrites, including your new "member"... If you changed the name and went about it without lauging at a man with a disease I'd consider giving it a try, but this way? Hell no.. Turning your back on family is the most hideous thing you can do on your short time on this planet... F'ing SAD!

Unfortuantely I agree with the last few of your posts.  This is criminal.  Scott is STP.  Just sad, sad stuff.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 22, 2013, 09:22:52 PM »
Lead singers, 99% of the times are the face of the band, and Scott never turned his back on his 'family' did he?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 22, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
Scott is STP. 

Here we go again. Is it just me or do the haters always come back to this?

So, the spin that it's all about the principle of the original 4 is just that. Spin. What you really mean is that it's all about Scott above anyone else.

From casual fans, that's understandable. But you guys are calling yourselves REAL fans. Yeah right.

Btw, "Whiny Snakes" would be a great album title. Thanks for that, Only Dying, you're an inspiration.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 22, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »
Scott is STP. 

Here we go again. Is it just me or do the haters always come back to this?

So, the spin that it's all about the principle of the original 4 is just that. Spin. What you really mean is that it's all about Scott above anyone else.

From casual fans, that's understandable. But you guys are calling yourselves REAL fans. Yeah right.

Btw, "Whiny Snakes" would be a great album title. Thanks for that, Only Dying, you're an inspiration.

I definitely hate was has happened.  But I do love STP.  And BTW, I like Chester, too.  What a mind fuck.   

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 22, 2013, 09:50:31 PM »
I definitely hate was has happened.  But I do love STP.  And BTW, I like Chester, too.  What a mind fuck.   

When you put it like that, it's totally different. I competely understand that it's tough to take.