September 29, 2024, 11:30:40 PM

Author Topic: Hearsay info on STP  (Read 19682 times)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Hearsay info on STP
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:10 AM »
So I got some inside information this weekend that I think many of you would like to hear. Before you read any further you know I've done this before and the same rules apply: this is 2nd hand info, getting his info straight from one member in the band. As you know I am in the music business and I have some acquaintances with the band. So take this for what it is: 2nd hand info from a source I claim is reliable. It's hearsay, and/or a rumor. I'm telling you it's 100% legit, but that's just a stranger on a forum. Feel free to say I'm full of shit, or that I'm making this all up, it's up to you if you want to believe me. I'm only sharing because I'm sure you are as curious about the situation as I am.

So first, it was confirmed: the boys "fired" Weiland and consider him done. They want to add someone famous to replace him as the singer of "Stone Temple Pilots" that will help sell the tours. They don't want to deal with Dave Coutts syndrome, and they don't want to form a supergroup (ala AOA) and have another total flop. Josh Homme was apparently a person they wanted as a replacement for Scott but apparently he's knee deep in a QOTSA tour/album project. They haven't made any official announcement beyond the statement because there's no news: they haven't gotten a replacement, AND Scott and his lawyers are disputing the legitimacy of the action.

So now to the source of the problem, besides the obvious/history of the band which we all know. So apparently there's been some bumps since they got back together, which we all knew, but the real source of the issue was around the Core anniversary. The band planned on doing the album, front to back, but nixed the idea when Scott didn't practice with them. Then Scott lobbied and pushed really hard to do Core, and the band said "fine let's try them". So they did. And Scott just couldn't pull it off. He just doesn't have that range anymore. So the band is saying "dude we can't do it, you can't sing it" and Scott was really defensive about it. Scott was basically in denial thinking it sounding great and the rest of the band basically said there's no way we can do Piece of Pie, Sin, Where the River Goes etc... So they said we'll stick with the hits and the songs you can do. To their credit, they never went in the media and bashed Scott or said he couldn't sing stuff publicly, but I do remember at one point Kretz saying one guy in the band couldn't take criticism at all. That's obviously Scott. So anyway, after some time Scott basically said "that's fine, fuck you guys, I'll do my own solo tour and advertise and play the songs as a Core celebration myself". The band said if you make money off our legacy and tour promoting a "Core" anno then you're taking money from us. The band wasn't ok with that because he was basically taking money away from the band and essentially touring under the promotion of the STP brand. The band was not cool with that at all, but Scott decided to do it anyway because he said "hey if you guys don't want to play these songs, I'll do them myself". So the band views Scott as promoting something that could alienate fans from STP, but they felt they couldn't perform those songs themselves without their legacy taking a hit based on how they sounded in rehearsal. They also didn't like the idea of Scott making money on his own off Core/Purple without them, basically milking his status as the singer and leaving them out to dry. Their position is/was that if you're going to perform using STP to sell your tour, then it needs to be with us as your band.

So that's the gist of it. That's also the reason why the "firing" happened right as Weiland left on tour for this run. So when Slash said he "heard Weiland was fired", that threat had been made if he went through with this tour. The band put the ball in Scott's court and he said whatever I'm doing it. I don't think Scott was fired when Slash said he was, but the threat had definitely been made, and Scott decided to call the Deleo's bluff. Well, now he's fired and it's up to their lawyers to sort through the mess. Ultimately it's likely that eventually they will perform, possibly as "STP" with what they hope is a famous lead singer that they can plug in that will do a good job with the material and allow them to continue the legacy by adding new material.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Hearsay info on STP
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:55:21 AM »
Not saying whether I believe this or not, but I will say that it makes a lot of sense.

If it is true, I do believe there's more to it. I believe if he were truly dedicated to getting his pipes in shape for a Core tour, Scott could pull it off. He wouldn't sound like 1992, but a healthy, clean Scott could do it right, the way only the real singer of Stone Temple Pilots could. All this makes me think he just wasn't up for doing it right. Too many distractions and other commitments. And too much of an ego.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:55:49 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Sounds like if Scott acted professional and took his singing/career seriously, none of this would have happened.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:20:27 AM »
Not saying whether I believe this or not, but I will say that it makes a lot of sense.

If it is true, I do believe there's more to it. I believe if he were truly dedicated to getting his pipes in shape for a Core tour, Scott could pull it off. He wouldn't sound like 1992, but a healthy, clean Scott could do it right, the way only the real singer of Stone Temple Pilots could. All this makes me think he just wasn't up for doing it right. Too many distractions and other commitments. And too much of an ego.
Yeah, agree with this comment. Scott's done pretty much all of Core since the reunion so it can't just be that he sounded bad. Thanks for the info JudgeSTP.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 02:48:32 AM »

Yeah, agree with this comment. Scott's done pretty much all of Core since the reunion so it can't just be that he sounded bad. Thanks for the info JudgeSTP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6RCyIkJGrU

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:50:02 AM »

Well ok then.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:56:35 AM »
I know why the Wildabouts put up with that embarrassment.  They don't have a choice.  If Scott came to rehearsal sounding like that I don't blame them a bit for not wanting to go out on stage like that.  Humiliating. 

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 03:14:16 AM »
LOL I can't stop laughing at that video. My god that is bad

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 03:41:12 AM »
First- Thank you Juge for the info.  It was nice hearing a lot of my theories/wonderings confirmed. 

Josh Homme was apparently a person they wanted as a replacement for Scott but apparently he's knee deep in a QOTSA tour/album project.
Not sure his voice would fill the hole well enough.  I like Josh Homme, but he doesnt have the vocal range to cover all of STPs (Scotts) recorded vocals.  I'd pay to see it though.  Actually though, you know who STP should look into?  Taylor Hawkins.  Yes, the Foo Fighters drummer.  Yes, I'm serious.  The guy has pipes and a decent range and decent stage presence as a vocalist even.

Like Templepilot has basically said.  His voice is that bad now.  Needs to drink and smoke less (read: none) and take some time off and get a vocal coach again.  He may never be back to where he was 20 yrs ago, but with some hard work and determination he can get in the ballpark. 

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like if Scott acted professional and took his singing/career seriously, none of this would have happened.
Yep.  He thinks he's entitled to a legacy.  People with a legacy have to work to keep it too.  That means respect for your work, your band mates, your body, and most importantly of all- your audience.  Scott is 0 for 4 as I see it.  In fairness though, the rest of STP is at best 3 of 4, but they're doing better than Scott. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:47:19 AM by Aaron »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 03:45:42 AM »
Usually, when someone starts a post with "I know a guy who knows a guy", I get ready to call bullshit... But this is without a doubt the most logical sequence of events I've heard for this whole debacle.

The only part I don't buy is the Homme bit. Seriously? He fronts his own highly successful band which he has almost complete control over, contributes regularly to another succesful band, and is a member of one of the loved super groups of all time... If the DeLeo's honestly thought he would even consider joining STP, then they are as delusional as Scott is. Furthermore, I honestly don't think Dean's ego could handle another guitarist in the band.

But I don't doubt that maybe they are looking to replace Scott. That's kind of a depressing thought, really. They've always had the class to say that STP isn't STP without all four members. If they keep going under that name, then the DeLeo's and Kretz will definitely drop a few levels in my estimation.

After going through this crap with Live, I'm pissed to see it happen to my other favorite band. No one comes out not looking like a douche in a situation like this.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 03:49:00 AM »
Taking that story with a grain of salt...

It still doesn't explain why STP's last several tours (since reuniting) have all been the same.  When they offered to let the fans pick the setlist, it failed.  Then every show was just a "best of"from that point on, meanwhile Scott was saying that he wanted to go deeper into their library; not to mention playing Core in it's entirety.

With the little pieces of 2nd hand info and the gaps between what really happened... I'd side with Scott. 
1. He's always seemed to be the one trying to do new things (from covers to rare tracks).
2. With their last album, I always felt that the DeLeo's production of it tried to make it into a more "pop" album (unlike any of their other albums), for the sheer purpose of marketability....
3. ...which leads me to the notion that the DeLeo's also were the ones pushing for the non-stop "greatest hits" tours, just for the marketability/money. 
4.  Also, with all the things that make it seem (to me at least) that the DeLeo's are more concerned about the money rather than the music... the idea of firing Scott, retaining the Stone Temple Pilots name, and touring with "someone famous" is the nail in the coffin for me.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:56:01 AM »
They want to add someone famous to replace him as the singer of "Stone Temple Pilots" that will help sell the tours. They don't want to deal with Dave Coutts syndrome, and they don't want to form a supergroup (ala AOA) and have another total flop.     

It's still going to be a  Talk Show/AOA.

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 03:57:19 AM »
Taking that story with a grain of salt...

It still doesn't explain why STP's last several tours (since reuniting) have all been the same.  When they offered to let the fans pick the setlist, it failed.  Then every show was just a "best of"from that point on, meanwhile Scott was saying that he wanted to go deeper into their library; not to mention playing Core in it's entirety.

With the little pieces of 2nd hand info and the gaps between what really happened... I'd side with Scott. 
1. He's always seemed to be the one trying to do new things (from covers to rare tracks).
2. With their last album, I always felt that the DeLeo's production of it tried to make it into a more "pop" album (unlike any of their other albums), for the sheer purpose of marketability....
3. ...which leads me to the notion that the DeLeo's also were the ones pushing for the non-stop "greatest hits" tours, just for the marketability/money. 
4.  Also, with all the things that make it seem (to me at least) that the DeLeo's are more concerned about the money rather than the music... the idea of firing Scott, retaining the Stone Temple Pilots name, and touring with "someone famous" is the nail in the coffin for me.
I also agree with this. I know the Deleo's always come across as heroes, but I think its obvious Scott's not the only one looking for some quick cash. At this point if any of them give a shit about their legacy, they shouldn't. I just wish they would be more open with their fans. I can't give Scott a lot of credit for that, but I think he tries to be honest with his fans, at least more than the rest of them. That said, he typically comes across as a dumbass when he does share info or his side, but its better than nothing.

And by the way TemplePilot, I was agreeing with you about that video, its absolutely horrendous. My response was just kinda shock from how bad it was.

stp4ever

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 04:00:12 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Deleos/Kretz should work with JD Fortune. That's right. The guy who was already the replacement singer for INXS. The dude's only 39 and with his range he can practically sing anything. Also, his solo stuff (check out youtube) is a bit more modern rock/alternative than the 80s style that he did with INXS.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 04:16:58 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Deleos/Kretz should work with JD Fortune. That's right. The guy who was already the replacement singer for INXS. The dude's only 39 and with his range he can practically sing anything. Also, his solo stuff (check out youtube) is a bit more modern rock/alternative than the 80s style that he did with INXS.

Not a real known name though.  The DeLeos seem to want somebody who is known and has the ability to write memorable melodies.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11