September 29, 2024, 11:18:36 PM

Author Topic: Hearsay info on STP  (Read 19667 times)

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
Re: Hearsay info on STP
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 04:19:07 AM »
Man... I'm totally not down with Scott being replaced and STP going on with the STP name. I don't care how the band sees things, but Scott WAS that band, whether he can sing great or not. Now you have these people in their 40s and 50s trying to beat a dead horse, and kicking out the person who made the band what it was.... It'll take a lot of time for me to accept a new singer.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 04:22:02 AM »
Taking that story with a grain of salt...

It still doesn't explain why STP's last several tours (since reuniting) have all been the same.  When they offered to let the fans pick the setlist, it failed.  Then every show was just a "best of"from that point on, meanwhile Scott was saying that he wanted to go deeper into their library; not to mention playing Core in it's entirety.

With the little pieces of 2nd hand info and the gaps between what really happened... I'd side with Scott. 
1. He's always seemed to be the one trying to do new things (from covers to rare tracks).
2. With their last album, I always felt that the DeLeo's production of it tried to make it into a more "pop" album (unlike any of their other albums), for the sheer purpose of marketability....
3. ...which leads me to the notion that the DeLeo's also were the ones pushing for the non-stop "greatest hits" tours, just for the marketability/money. 
4.  Also, with all the things that make it seem (to me at least) that the DeLeo's are more concerned about the money rather than the music... the idea of firing Scott, retaining the Stone Temple Pilots name, and touring with "someone famous" is the nail in the coffin for me.
I also agree with this. I know the Deleo's always come across as heroes, but I think its obvious Scott's not the only one looking for some quick cash. At this point if any of them give a shit about their legacy, they shouldn't. I just wish they would be more open with their fans. I can't give Scott a lot of credit for that, but I think he tries to be honest with his fans, at least more than the rest of them. That said, he typically comes across as a dumbass when he does share info or his side, but its better than nothing.

And by the way TemplePilot, I was agreeing with you about that video, its absolutely horrendous. My response was just kinda shock from how bad it was.

Yeah it's an extreme example and definitely the one that gets passed around the most as a reference piece for anyone looking to make a point, but good god.  I can just imagine him coming into rehearsal.  The looks on their faces probably similar to ours and Weiland cluelessly saying "was it something I said??"

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 04:25:28 AM »
Man... I'm totally not down with Scott being replaced and STP going on with the STP name. I don't care how the band sees things, but Scott WAS that band, whether he can sing great or not. Now you have these people in their 40s and 50s trying to beat a dead horse, and kicking out the person who made the band what it was.... It'll take a lot of time for me to accept a new singer.

On one hand, it isn't like they WANT to.  This is obviously 10x easier if they didn't have such a fuck up front man.

On the other, replacing him and continuing is really lame.  I get that they worked their ass for a lot of years to become the band they did, and the idea of starting from scratch again isn't appealing, but that's just the way it is.  You start a new band, and work your way back up.  A new frontman is every bit the lazy cash grab as the Purple to the Core tour was.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 04:36:41 AM »
They probably wouldn't consider replacing him and using the name if it weren't for the reason whythey're doing it.

In other words, if they feel he's hurting the legacy with his tour and stealing STP cash, then they probably feel the way to fight that is to continue with the STP name.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »
They probably wouldn't consider replacing him and using the name if it weren't for the reason whythey're doing it.

In other words, if they feel he's hurting the legacy with his tour and stealing STP cash, then they probably feel the way to fight that is to continue with the STP name.

Not to sound like everyone's mom, but "two wrongs don't make a right".

Scott does a cash grab tour, yes, that damages STP's legacy. The DeLeos and Kretz forming a new band and calling it Stone Temple Pilots doesn't fix that... In fact, it just further damages STP's legacy.

If they could all just agree to bury the band for ever, that would be the only thing that could save it's legacy at this point. But as things stand, STP's future is a bunch of adults fighting over a band's name the way 4 years olds fight over a toy.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 05:53:43 AM »

Scott does a cash grab tour, yes, that damages STP's legacy. The DeLeos and Kretz forming a new band and calling it Stone Temple Pilots doesn't fix that... In fact, it just further damages STP's legacy.

If they could all just agree to bury the band for ever, that would be the only thing that could save it's legacy at this point. But as things stand, STP's future is a bunch of adults fighting over a band's name the way 4 years olds fight over a toy.

Yeah, and even worse, it seems like the only thing these 4 care about at this point is money... I'm sorry but its true.

Even if Weiland rambles all he wants about wanting to be creative and how he hates playing the greatest hits set.... it's what he's been doing lately... just with a slightly different approach.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 05:54:19 AM »

But mom!!!  (jk)

In all seriousness, if Scott is this huge mess that everyone is painting him out to be, then shouldn't the DeLeo's be the adults in this scenario?  Shouldn't they be "the bigger man", and work on an amicable solution instead of fighting over names, rights, money, and legacy? 

Plus, I don't see Scott's tour as a "cash grab".  He didn't come out of the blue with this... he's been touring on his own consistently after VR & between STP shows.  He's also always changing up his shows from solo stuff, Christmas songs, covers, and recently a "Core" themed show.  That's way more versatility than anything STP is used to (especially since their reunion gigs)
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 06:50:58 AM »
I don't see how the band aren't being adults.  They had a problem, and the dealt with it.  Simple as that.  There was no mud slinging in the press, name calling, snide remarks, nothing.  And as far as them working out a solution...please.  How many years of this diva nonsense are they supposed to absorb?  They've been trying to do that for years.

As far as Scott's tour not being a cash grab...that's exactly what it is.  And just because Scott has played a lot of solo gigs, doesn't mean that they they weren't cash grabs too.  I don't understand how versatility and frequency have anything to do with integrity.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 10:31:36 AM »
They are damned if they do, damned if they don't on that front. Don't come out in the press and tell the truth? You don't give a fuck about the fans. Come out in the press and say what happened? You're stabbing Scott in the back and spreading shit about him.

FWIW, they did the right thing by keeping schtum IMO, even if it does draw the ire of STP fans. It's really none of anybody else's business anyway.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »
They are damned if they do, damned if they don't on that front. Don't come out in the press and tell the truth? You don't give a fuck about the fans. Come out in the press and say what happened? You're stabbing Scott in the back and spreading shit about him.

FWIW, they did the right thing by keeping schtum IMO, even if it does draw the ire of STP fans. It's really none of anybody else's business anyway.

Sure it's our business! As fans, it directly affects us! Yeah, personal details can be omitted, but when it comes to the fate of the band, the professional details, we could've been given more than they've given us.

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »
They're performing with Chester Bennington in a few weeks, right?

Its gonna be a test run. No one can replace Scott but I think he could be a good fit. He's a great vocalist who kinda wastes his talent on all the screaming. Plus he's performed Dead and Bloated and Wonderful in the past with them. 

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »

Sure it's our business! As fans, it directly affects us! Yeah, personal details can be omitted, but when it comes to the fate of the band, the professional details, we could've been given more than they've given us.

What exactly? They told you they fired Scott, that is what happened. That is the professional details, the reasons why are private and they are not obliged to reveal the details of the breakdown of their relationship with Scott.

As far as a new singer goes, there's legal things going on, so no surprise they don't want to talk about it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:02:00 PM by Pingfah »

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 12:09:23 PM »
To make things all the more interesting, very, very, very little of Juge's 'Hearsay info' is accurate...
Take it.

NakedFountain

• And I think I think too much
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Bi Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »
I'm just really not big on carrying on STP without Scott. No offense to the others, but no one knows who is in STP except for Scott Weiland except us hardcore fans. I'm guessing that's why they want a big name new lead singer. But Josh Homme? There's absolutely nothing about him that appeals to me at all and I very much doubt he can sing STP songs like Scott can as his vocal range isn't as big as Scott's is.
"I wanna drink from your naked fountain
I can drown your sorrow"

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 01:20:19 PM »
I don't see how the band aren't being adults.  They had a problem, and the dealt with it.  Simple as that.  There was no mud slinging in the press, name calling, snide remarks, nothing.  And as far as them working out a solution...please.  How many years of this diva nonsense are they supposed to absorb?  They've been trying to do that for years.

As far as Scott's tour not being a cash grab...that's exactly what it is.  And just because Scott has played a lot of solo gigs, doesn't mean that they they weren't cash grabs too.  I don't understand how versatility and frequency have anything to do with integrity.

Neither side is really mud slinging, but "firing" Scott (along with the huge banner on STP's website) is pretty juvenile.  This isn't The Apprentice, and Scott isn't one of their employees. Plus clinging onto the STP name and trying to milk it for all it's worth (ruining the legacy), isn't exactly taking the high road.  Especially when they paint Scott to be the one holding them back... meanwhile Scott never stopped touring, has released two albums, and is working on a third, all since STP's last record.  So when it comes down to integrity, I'd have to side with the guy performing and making new music over the band holding onto the past.

The Deleo's are great musicians, yet they don't want to move on.  Scott has said he wants to get back together, but he's clearly the only one moving on, creating new music, and growing as an artist.  Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly see the DeLeo's & Eric play with a new frontman.... but not as "STP".  To me, rock bands are like a marriage, it's a 50/50 split between the band and the frontman, and whoever doesn't move onto something new is just sad. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:22:11 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"