September 29, 2024, 09:24:45 AM

Author Topic: 2013-03-26 - House of Blues, Houston, TX  (Read 10675 times)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 3-26-2013 - House of Blues, Houston, TX
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/davmeek?feature=watch
This guy has some good vids. In the 3 videos I watched Scott sounded great.

My GOD they are playing Vasoline faster than my high school band. What is wrong with this band? That is terrible. UGH.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 08:58:51 PM »
I'm sorry but their drummer blows

Txloungefly

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »

This guy's video is much better than mine, but here are a couple of pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56930881@N08/sets/72157633102378581/with/8596315340/

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:24 PM »
Is it just me, or is every video that's been uploaded on this tour have Scott buried in the mix? For those of you who have gone to these shows, has Weiland's mix been turned way down?

Unglued...Weiland changed it up, but it sounds more like he was improvising than getting it wrong. Band was smoking on this one. I know everyone else hates Doug here, and I honestly like his work a lot better on the non-STP material, but everyone save the drummer was on top form.

Vasoline... I actually like the breakneck tempo (hated the last couple of STP tours where everything was played slowed than a dying turtle), but yeah...that drummer is the drizzling shits.

ILS- Band sounds pretty good, although I wish they'd do this song acoustically, like on the radio shows they did when Scott was promoting Happy. I don't like the way Scott sings it now; he's been going it this way for the better part of the decade, but I still can't get used to it.

Creep- Sounded a lot better than it has in the past. One thing about this, though...Tommy's no Robert vocally, and it does suffer for it.

Big Empty- Good performance, but Doug...don't sing. Scott sounded great though.

Can't Stand Me Now- Kind of a mess at first, but picks up.

I finally 'get' the Wildabouts. They sound like a bar band...because they're supposed to. That's the vibe Scott's going for. When he's 'on' as opposed to being drunk/high, he's still kicking ass. His voice is shot, but from last night and the other better shows from this tour, it seems more like a 'fun' style of performance rather than one that's trying to compete with the current scene. It's not STP or VR, but it's own thing entirely. Scott sounded like he was having fun. When he's not messed up, this may be what he wants to do now. At 45 years old, maybe that's a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:22:19 PM by Fear 2 Stop »

stpblaine2

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
Is it just me, or is every video that's been uploaded on this tour have Scott buried in the mix? For those of you who have gone to these shows, has Weiland's mix been turned way down?

Unglued...Weiland changed it up, but it sounds more like he was improvising than getting it wrong. Band was smoking on this one. I know everyone else hates Doug here, and I honestly like his work a lot better on the non-STP material, but everyone save the drummer was on top form.

Vasoline... I actually like the breakneck tempo (hated the last couple of STP tours where everything was played slowed than a dying turtle), but yeah...that drummer is the drizzling shits.

ILS- Band sounds pretty good, although I wish they'd do this song acoustically, like on the radio shows they did when Scott was promoting Happy. I don't like the way Scott sings it now; he's been going it this way for the better part of the decade, but I still can't get used to it.

Creep- Sounded a lot better than it has in the past. One thing about this, though...Tommy's no Robert vocally, and it does suffer for it.

I finally 'get' the Wildabouts. They sound like a bar band...because they're supposed to. That's the vibe Scott's going for. When he's 'on' as opposed to being drunk/high, he's still kicking ass. His voice is shot, but from last night and the other better shows from this tour, it seems more like a 'fun' style of performance rather than one that's trying to compete with the current scene. It's not STP or VR, but it's own thing entirely.

His mic was up for majority of the show last night.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »
Ahhh....good. That's the one bad thing about cell phone videos....the mix never gets properly represented due to limitations of the form.

Holy shit...Roadhouse Blues sounds GREAT. Man, from these videos from last night, I'm digging this. If Scott can keep his extracurricular activities for after the show, then I"m more than okay with this. If he just wants to have a loose jam kind of band, if he can enjoy himself like this, I say good on him.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:27:31 PM by Fear 2 Stop »

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 11:42:38 PM »

My GOD they are playing Vasoline faster than my high school band. What is wrong with this band? That is terrible. UGH.

Nah man you just don't "get" them.  They're SUPPOSED to sound kinda shitty.  They're shooting for bar band and damnit they are nailing it.

nick

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »

Can't Stand Me Now- Kind of a mess at first, but picks up.

I finally 'get' the Wildabouts. They sound like a bar band...because they're supposed to. That's the vibe Scott's going for. When he's 'on' as opposed to being drunk/high, he's still kicking ass. His voice is shot, but from last night and the other better shows from this tour, it seems more like a 'fun' style of performance rather than one that's trying to compete with the current scene. It's not STP or VR, but it's own thing entirely. Scott sounded like he was having fun. When he's not messed up, this may be what he wants to do now. At 45 years old, maybe that's a good thing.

I agree on the tempo of the songs...there was nothing worse than the slower than molasses Crackerman and Vaseline...That ALWAYS bothered me with STP....

nick

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 12:01:56 AM »
Ahhh....good. That's the one bad thing about cell phone videos....the mix never gets properly represented due to limitations of the form.

Holy shit...Roadhouse Blues sounds GREAT. Man, from these videos from last night, I'm digging this. If Scott can keep his extracurricular activities for after the show, then I"m more than okay with this. If he just wants to have a loose jam kind of band, if he can enjoy himself like this, I say good on him.

I thought that, for the crowd at least, Roadhouse Blues was the highlight.  The crowd went apeshit and responded well.  It did sound good...

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 12:48:17 AM »

Nah man you just don't "get" them.  They're SUPPOSED to sound kinda shitty.  They're shooting for bar band and damnit they are nailing it.

Bar band and shitty aren't the same thing.  THIS is a shitty band. http://youtu.be/j7LCyzLHUuA    You want bad performances from this tour? Go back to the videos from earlier this month. This wasn't it. They aren't STP in their prime, but then again who is?  Just need a better drummer.
Nice attempt at a dig at me. God forbid anyone has an opinion.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:59:20 AM by Fear 2 Stop »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »

So, if we're counting, they just played Vasoline in 2:10. That might be a world record

I told you guys, it's not Doug that's the problem. The rhythm section is BRUTAL.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 03:47:39 AM »
i really hate to be negative but it is just not ok to play Vasoline that fast. It really just sounds ridiculous. Amateurs do that. Like my pathetic high school band.

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Don't ask me questions I don't need no alibis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 06:17:12 AM »
Fastest version I have ever heard or played in my life. there goes those crazy wildabouts again.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 06:49:19 AM »

Bar band and shitty aren't the same thing.  THIS is a shitty band. http://youtu.be/j7LCyzLHUuA    You want bad performances from this tour? Go back to the videos from earlier this month. This wasn't it. They aren't STP in their prime, but then again who is?  Just need a better drummer.
Nice attempt at a dig at me. God forbid anyone has an opinion.

Just because you can find a band that is worse doesn't make this less shitty.  They are both shitty but no one would deny one is worse.  "Bar band" is pretty synonymous with shitty band.

Cry about it somewhere else.  You've already asked and been taught how to block someone, utilize it.  Anytime someone disagrees with you or busts your balls a little, you fall back on this thin skinned, hyper sensitive defense mode.  Get over it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:54:59 AM by TemplePilot »

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Don't ask me questions I don't need no alibis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 06:57:45 AM »
most of what is going on in these threads are all opinions....and there is certainly no shortage of people to disagree with one another. i'm no stranger to that.  P.S. Doug and the Wildabouts blow. I think i'll add that to the end of all of my posts. Of course that's just my opinion.