October 01, 2024, 09:23:47 AM

Author Topic: 3-7-2013 - Wilbur Theatre - Boston, Ma  (Read 13647 times)

CoreurpletinyNo4ShangriY

• I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES! I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES!
  • Pilot
  • I know the questions but I lost the answers
    • View Profile
Re: 3-7-2013 - Wilbur Theatre - Boston, Ma
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2013, 05:24:46 AM »
Yeah all of the "FUCK YOU"'s really saddens me. It also pisses me off that Scott has been late for pretty much every show he has had and mostly everyone brushes that off when the show starts, but only this show gets a HUGE amount of hate, and is even being referred to as "Horrible show".
STP Shows: 9/5/10 - 7/26/11 - 8/6/11 - 9/10/11 - 8/24/12
STP with Chester: 9/6/13 - 4/25/15
Weiland Shows: 11/28/12 - 3/12/13 - 8/14/13 - 9/14/14
- 3/10/15 - 11/28/15

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2013, 05:53:33 AM »
Doesn't help that his bass player was playing god knows what for the "roaming" parts, making Scott sounds even more off than he already is.
If you only knew..

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2013, 06:30:23 AM »
I prefer the original version, but that wasn't bad at all. AT ALL. After hearing the two videos up, here's what I don't get, and explain this to me like I was a five year old, please...
If he was very drunk, why was he on the beat and not dragging? If he was on coke, why wasn't he sweating? His speech was fucked up, but no more than normal (and hell, I understood him better than I have at other times). I'd rather hear this, though, then when he was doing that horribly exaggerated Bowie thing with his voice, or any of the shows when he had that hideous bleached bowl hair cut.

Here's my theory, and I could be wrong, but again this is just me...he showed up drunk. Probably passed out backstage, or slept it off, or whatever.* From what I saw in the videos, though,. he looked and sounded great. Of course, all I'm basing this on is two YouTube videos. He could've sounded like goatfuck the rest of the show...I don't know.

*NOT excusing that; he needs to quit drinking ASAP.

Or their pissed cause he didn't play all of core and purple as stated he would.

Did he himself say that, or was it just how it was billed? If the latter, he needs to fire his publicity people.

I do think though he has some brain damage of some sort; he is 'off' in a way, and he reminds me a lot of Brian Wilson did at the same age.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:33:28 AM by Fear 2 Stop »

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2013, 06:31:46 AM »
First song of the night. The crowd doesn't seem too happy.

http://youtu.be/ctWFSFlN7vE

He doesn't seem messed up to me. And isn't that version or whatever, of Crackerman the one he's been singing?
It is, and actually he sounded better than he has on previous shows doing that version. Anybody in the audience who has not heard him do that version of 'Crackerman', though, probably thought he was fucking it up.

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2013, 07:30:56 AM »
I guess I will give my two cents here. I didn't mind the hour wait because I was actually enjoying myself, Miggs wasn't the worst opener in the world. As I said on GrungeReport, the songs that got people going were Wicked Garden, Jean Genie, K&C, Mountain Song, Big Empty, Still Remains, Interstate, and Roadhouse Blues. People were confused about Crackerman, in my opinion Naked Sunday didn't come off very well, and Creep was just ok. I saw a few people go for drinks during Can't Stand Me Now, but those of us down in front all enjoyed it and were jumping around. Scott managed to crack me up a few times, in one of his few lucid moments which leads me to my criticisms:

Showing up "late" isn't a problem for me, but it clearly is for other people. For their sakes, he should try to be more punctual, or less fucked up, preferably both. He talked a lot, probably more than I've ever heard him speak at a concert. This seriously cut into the amount of time he played. I think if they cut out the talking, or the random 2-3 minutes of nothingness in between songs, they'd easily fit another 4-5 songs into the set. I saw someone complaining that he dropped his mic (either here or on GrungeReport) and my response is screw you. They made it seem like he was right in the middle of a song and he dropped the mic and ruined a verse or something. No. He dropped it in between songs and picked it right back up. I'm not disputing that he wasn't drunk or on something necessarily (because who the hell knows), but that is really being nitpicky.

Overall I enjoyed my experience, and although I'm sorry other people did not, it will not deter me from buying tickets to see him in the future. You take the good with the bad. He proved to me that he can still sing pretty fucking good, he hit some great notes in Mountain Song and especially K&C which was the performance of the night for me. He'll probably never be clean for good, and I guess we just have to accept that at this point. I'm sure I'll be labeled as one of the infamous "Weiland Apologists" for defending the fact that I enjoyed myself at one of his shows instead of leaving after one song is played in a different key, getting in my car and furiously driving home to complain in 8 different places on the internet. The negative reactions are seriously ridiculous sometimes.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »
I prefer the original version, but that wasn't bad at all. AT ALL. After hearing the two videos up, here's what I don't get, and explain this to me like I was a five year old, please...
If he was very drunk, why was he on the beat and not dragging? If he was on coke, why wasn't he sweating? His speech was fucked up, but no more than normal (and hell, I understood him better than I have at other times). I'd rather hear this, though, then when he was doing that horribly exaggerated Bowie thing with his voice, or any of the shows when he had that hideous bleached bowl hair cut.

Here's my theory, and I could be wrong, but again this is just me...he showed up drunk. Probably passed out backstage, or slept it off, or whatever.* From what I saw in the videos, though,. he looked and sounded great. Of course, all I'm basing this on is two YouTube videos. He could've sounded like goatfuck the rest of the show...I don't know.

*NOT excusing that; he needs to quit drinking ASAP.

Or their pissed cause he didn't play all of core and purple as stated he would.

Did he himself say that, or was it just how it was billed? If the latter, he needs to fire his publicity people.

I do think though he has some brain damage of some sort; he is 'off' in a way, and he reminds me a lot of Brian Wilson did at the same age.

No he did not say that himself. But it was billed as that with most of the radio stations. I wouldn't let a radio station do that to me and my music. It's bad business to lie to try to get a few more people in the building, but seeing as to how it was like this with most of the towns he is playing on this tour, its ultimately Scott's fault for not hiring people who have any sort of IQ.

Also doing coke does not make you sweat, plus he is on stage under hot lights, with many layers on and should be sweating anyways and to be honest when Scott was on coke back in 07 with Velvet Revolver those were some of the best shows I've ever seen from him. You see maybe this is why people think Scott is so fucked up, cause he's not taking uppers anymore and uppers make most people more alert, on point, active etc so how he use to be on stage while taking uppers is what most people remember him doing. Now when they see him off of uppers and on downers like alcohol and pills then you get people thinking hes lost it. But I'm pretty sure the bipolar meds are fucking him up more than any of this. It was sad seeing them the last time I did in 2011, he looked like a caged circus animal that was sick of life and going through the motions. There's an interview from the number 4 era where he mentions not liking bi polar meds and how he quit taking them cause they make him too numb. But now he takes them and can't talk straight half the time. I'd give my left nut to have him off of these pills, it eats the energy of his soul. So sad. But if he feels he needs them, then I guess more power to him?

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2013, 11:34:10 PM »
He sounds terribly nasally on Kitchenware and Candybars.  Scott's nasally performances are passable when he's got STP backing him, but not the mediocre Wildabouts.  He has to put on great shows solo since he doesn't have STP the band/or brand to fall back on.  I really think his touring this year could absolutely kill his viability as a live act, with mediocre performances/showing up late/running STP songs into the ground and cheapening them and further ruining his reputation.  These are legendary songs that should not be treated the way they are right now.  Everything about this tour just seems so half assed.  Quit drinking, get a vocal coach, get a better backing band, get rid of the yes men, show up on time, and play more than 15 fucking songs and maybe you'd make more money.  I'm a big fan of Scott and I'm rooting for him, but my days of being an apologist are over.  Scott's a nice and talented guy, but he's got to fix his career before he's a bar act.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:40:55 PM by StoneTempleBrett »

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

IdahoSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »
Sounds like we should all just go to grunge report instead of below empty. This guy knows it all........nobody gives a shit if you are appolgetic or not.  You have his voice pegged from a shit ass cell phone recording...........your claims are all ridiculous. There legacy......Have you looked at their website.  They do n ot give a shit about their legacy. The music speaks for itself. Thats all that will stand over time and all that really matters. S T MOTHER FUCKIN P!! 

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
Sounds like we should all just go to grunge report instead of below empty. This guy knows it all........nobody gives a shit if you are appolgetic or not.  You have his voice pegged from a shit ass cell phone recording...........your claims are all ridiculous. There legacy......Have you looked at their website.  They do n ot give a shit about their legacy. The music speaks for itself. Thats all that will stand over time and all that really matters. S T MOTHER FUCKIN P!! 
Not to mention that he's been playing 18ish songs a night
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
He sounds terribly nasally on Kitchenware and Candybars.  Scott's nasally performances are passable when he's got STP backing him, but not the mediocre Wildabouts.  He has to put on great shows solo since he doesn't have STP the band/or brand to fall back on.  I really think his touring this year could absolutely kill his viability as a live act, with mediocre performances/showing up late/running STP songs into the ground and cheapening them and further ruining his reputation.  These are legendary songs that should not be treated the way they are right now.  Everything about this tour just seems so half assed.  Quit drinking, get a vocal coach, get a better backing band, get rid of the yes men, show up on time, and play more than 15 fucking songs and maybe you'd make more money.  I'm a big fan of Scott and I'm rooting for him, but my days of being an apologist are over.  Scott's a nice and talented guy, but he's got to fix his career before he's a bar act.
It's sad but I agree with you and have felt the same for a long time now, but now Scott's getting worse about his issues. He needs to get off of bi polar meds too.....  It's pretty clear that he doesn't care much anymore, more than likely from the bi-polar meds. Maybe this is where Scott returns to where he came from, playing bars......................... ............oh wait already there. :(

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:00 AM »
It's sad but I agree with you and have felt the same for a long time now, but now Scott's getting worse about his issues. He needs to get off of bi polar meds too.....  It's pretty clear that he doesn't care much anymore, more than likely from the bi-polar meds. Maybe this is where Scott returns to where he came from, playing bars......................... ............oh wait already there. :(

I don't know about the meds and all of that, that's he and his doctor's business.  But something isn't right about him right now, hope he can get it together.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 04:21:11 AM »
Anybody who thinks things are going good right now for Weiland's career, I don't quite know what to say.  I'm saying the things I'm saying because I'm a fan and I'd like to see him and his music get the respect it deserves, what's going on right now isn't serving the STP/Weiland legacy well at all.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 05:54:53 AM »
I thought Kitchenware sounded damn good. It's the way he sings ILS for the past 5 years that I cannot stand.

Also doing coke does not make you sweat, plus he is on stage under hot lights, with many layers on and should be sweating anyways and to be honest when Scott was on coke back in 07 with Velvet Revolver those were some of the best shows I've ever seen from him. You see maybe this is why people think Scott is so fucked up, cause he's not taking uppers anymore and uppers make most people more alert, on point, active etc so how he use to be on stage while taking uppers is what most people remember him doing. Now when they see him off of uppers and on downers like alcohol and pills then you get people thinking hes lost it. But I'm pretty sure the bipolar meds are fucking him up more than any of this. It was sad seeing them the last time I did in 2011, he looked like a caged circus animal that was sick of life and going through the motions. There's an interview from the number 4 era where he mentions not liking bi polar meds and how he quit taking them cause they make him too numb. But now he takes them and can't talk straight half the time. I'd give my left nut to have him off of these pills, it eats the energy of his soul. So sad. But if he feels he needs them, then I guess more power to him?

When I used to do coke (years ago, mind you) I always felt like I was sweating, so I dunno lol. Agree with your post, though...I think since he's been taking his meds he has been off his game. both musically and otherwise.

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2013, 05:59:10 AM »
Sorry to ask but how do we know he has been taking his meds or is there something I have missed here?
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun