October 03, 2024, 12:25:17 AM

Author Topic: 2013-03/04-Niagara Falls,NY-Rapids Theater-Scott to play all of Core&Purple!  (Read 15577 times)

Adhesive Love

• W. Axl Rose
  • Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilovethepunkrock
How much time will be left for solo songs/VR/covers/STP rarities if he is playing all of CORE and PURPLE?

http://www.rapidstheatre.com/event_details.php?event_id=180

Scott Weiland to play all of Core & Purple on new solo tour
 103.3 The Edge Presents: An Evening with Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots
Mar-04-2013 8pm

Tickets on sale Friday February 8th at 10am at Rapids Box Office, ticketfly.com, charge by phone 877-435-9849, Terrapin Station, Record Theatre, or our newest locations Allentown Music!

All Ages show anyone under 16 must be accompanied by an adult

RAPIDS THEATRE AND 103.3 THE EDGE PRESENT: AN EVENING WITH SCOTT WEILAND OF STONE TEMPLE PILOTS

Scott Weiland, the energetic and unpredictable lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots sets out on a solo tour playing the first two, and hugely successful STP recordsCORE and PURPLE in their entirety back to back. This is the first ever tour of its kind for Scott Weiland and the evening will include all of the hits that made Stone Temple Pilots one of the biggest and most influential rock bands of all time.

"Scott Weiland" (born October 27 1967) is an American musician, lyricist, and vocalist. He was the lead singer of the popular rock band Stone Temple Pilots throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. He is currently the lead singer of Velvet Revolver.

BIOGRAPHY
Weiland was born as "Scott Richard Kline" in Santa Cruz, California, USA, North America. Weiland moved to Chagrin Falls, Ohio at the age of five where he attended the Kenston School District. Weiland dropped out of school during his freshman year of high school and moved back to California.

Stone Temple Pilots (Late 1980s-1997)
In 1986 Weiland met bassist Robert DeLeo at a Black Flag concert, and shortly thereafter formed the band Mighty Joe Young with DeLeo's brother Dean on guitar and Eric Kretz on drums and recorded a demo tape in 1990. The band changed its name to Stone Temple Pilots when it was discovered shortly after signing with Atlantic Records that 'Mighty Joe Young' was already taken.

Weiland wrote the band's lyrics and performed lead vocals. In 1992, they released their first album, "Core", and their first hit, 'Sex Type Thing' led to them becoming one of the most commercially successful bands of the grunge movement, the music genre that was spawned out of Seattle in the late eighties and became rock's central movement of the early-mid 1990s. The band was widely accused of copying bands such as Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana in an attempt to cash in on the scene's burgeoning popularity. Critics also pointed out that Weiland's vocal style at the time was very similar to that of Layne Staley's and Eddie Vedder's. Weiland has rejected such comparisons, however, citing Jim Morrison of The Doors as more influential on his sound.

In 1994, Weiland married Janina Castaneda and STP released their second album, "Purple", which saw the development of a more distinctive identity for the band. While still a clear continuation of their previous sound, the album featured fewer dark 'grunge' tracks, and had a mixture of Punk, bossa nova, and acoustic songs. The year prior, STP toured with the Butthole Surfers, and Weiland developed a drug addiction, claiming Butthole Surfers singer Gibby Haynes introduced him to heroin.

In 1995, Weiland was caught and convicted of buying crack cocaine. He was sentenced to one year's probation. Issues with drug use did not clear up after his sentence. Weiland claimed that he moved into a hotel with Courtney Love where the two for a month, 'shot drugs the whole time'. STP canceled most of their 1996-1997 tour in support of their third release, "Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop" causing the album to fall flat quickly on the charts.

"12 Bar Blues"
With Weiland's status in the band uncertain and unpredictable, STP went on hiatus. The other members of the band created the group Talk Show with lead singer Dave Coutts. Weiland, meanwhile, adopted an androgynous look and released a solo album in 1998 called "12 Bar Blues". Weiland wrote most of the songs on the album, and collaborated with several artists, notably Daniel Lanois, Sheryl Crow and Jeff Nolan. The album was a commercial failure but it managed to achieve some acclaim . It was also during this time that Weiland was caught in Manhattan buying heroin, ending his brief tour. A previous conviction in Los Angeles, coupled with numerous probation violations, earned Weiland jail time.

The constant relapses were too much for his marriage, and Castaneda filed for divorce.

Back with STP (1999-2003)
His period in jail had apparently helped to wean him from his habit, and once released, he rejoined Stone Temple Pilots. Soon after, he married Mary Forsberg, with whom he has two children, Noah and Lucy.

In 1999, the band released "No. 4". The album contained the hit single 'Sour Girl' which featured a strange, surreal music video with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

In November 2001, Weiland was invited to perform on the show VH1 Storytellers with the surviving members of The Doors. Weiland did vocals on two Doors songs, 'Break on Through (To the Other Side)' and 'Five To One.' That same month Stone Temple Pilots appeared on The Doors tribute CD, "Stoned Immaculate" with their own rendition of 'Break On Through' as the lead track.

In late 2001, Weiland was arrested on domestic violence charges in Las Vegas, apparently for shoving Forsberg. However, the charges were eventually deferred upon the couple agreeing to counseling. Soon after, Forsberg filed for divorce but the couple eventually reconciled. Weiland's career also took a hit, with an altercation between Weiland and Dean DeLeo on the final gig of STP's "Shangri-La Dee Da" tour, leading to the band's official demise with much of the speculation surrounding Weiland's inability to balance personal issues.

TRIVIA
He is a member of the cover band Camp Freddy.

Weiland is known to constantly change his appearance, especially his hairstyle and hair color. However, he is recognized by many for his famously low slung trousers, often without a shirt.

In an interview with "Rolling Stone" in 2007, Scott mentioned that the only albums he has written sober are STP's "Core" and Velvet Revolver's "Libertad".

Weiland is a Notre Dame football fan, as his father is an alumnus. In September 2006, Weiland performed at the University of Notre Dame's Legends Restaurant on the night before a football game. He sang several of his solo songs, as well as 'Interstate Love Song' and a cover of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'.

Chester Bennington of Linkin Park claims Weiland is his role model and biggest influence.

He performed with Fred Durst and Limp Bizkit on the album "Significant Other" in the song 'Nobody Like You' along with Jonathan Davis from Korn. He was also tributed in the same album with the song 'Show Me What You Got', along with Eminem, Kid Rock, Jordan, The Firm, Wu-Tang Clan, Method Man, and Staind. He was also featured on Limp Bizkit's third album, "Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water", in the song 'Hold On.'

According to many people Scott Weiland strongly resembles Clint Eastwood; in the music video for 'She Builds Quick Machines', the members of VR appear wearing cowboy costumes, resembling the movie "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Weiland has bipolar disorder. In an interview with VH1.com, he said that he does not take medication for the disorder, and so he goes through manic and depressive episodes. (... more)

He is married to model Mary Forsberg. They have two young children, Noah (born 2000) and Lucy (born 2002).

Scott and his son Noah were featured on comedian David Spade's "The Showbiz Show w/ David Spade" during a comedy sketch about discouraging music file sharing in 2005. Noah has a line during the sketch in which he asks a little girl, 'Please buy my daddy's album so I can food to eat'. The girl shakes her head yes.

Scott Weiland cites David Bowie and Jim Morrison as two of his biggest influences.

Weiland had a brief friendship with Courtney Love around 1998. Scott claims that the two used drugs together.

Scott appeared on VH1 Decades Live as Cyndi Lauper's guest performer in 'Money Changes Everything' and 'Time After Time'.

He was born Scott Kent (or Kline, depending on your reading source). The surname Weiland came from being adopted by his Stepfather, David Weiland.

VENUE: RAPIDS THEATRE - 1711 MAIN STREET - NIAGARA FALLS, NY

DATE: MONDAY MARCH 4TH 2013

DOORS: 6:30PM DOORS - 8PM SHOW/ ALL AGES

TICKETS: $35.00 PRESALE/ $40.00 DAY OF SHOW

TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY FEBRUARY 8TH AT 10AM

Tickets available at the following locations:

http://www.ticketfly.com / Charge by phone (877)-435-9849 / Rapids Theatre box office (716)-205-8925 http://www.rapidstheatre.com / Record Theater / Terrapin Station
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:07:06 PM by Adhesive Love »
CHINESE DEMOCRACY STARTS NOW.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
My bullshit detector is going off with this one.

First off, that would be the longest concert scott weiland has played, like, ever. That's 23 songs just between Core and Purple and I'd assume he'd play some solo stuff as well. Second, I really don't think the Scott Weiland Band has the chops to pull this off. God, army ants would be a disaster.And third, I seem to recall this same guy promising he'd play Core in full WITH STP, and it never happened. Hard to see this going down.

Having said all that, COME TO NYC AND PLAY A NORMAL SCOTT SOLO SETLIST PLEASE AND THANK YOU
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Wow, this pleases me.  And means his shows will be pretty long
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
My bullshit detector is going off with this one.

First off, that would be the longest concert scott weiland has played, like, ever. That's 23 songs just between Core and Purple and I'd assume he'd play some solo stuff as well. Second, I really don't think the Scott Weiland Band has the chops to pull this off. God, army ants would be a disaster.And third, I seem to recall this same guy promising he'd play Core in full WITH STP, and it never happened. Hard to see this going down.

Having said all that, COME TO NYC AND PLAY A NORMAL SCOTT SOLO SETLIST PLEASE AND THANK YOU

I am cautiously optimistic, and we'll see in less than a month
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
Well I'll be damned...sounds like he's trying to make up for the concept behind the Core tour...but Core AND Purple back to back in their entirety? Hope his voice is in decent enough shape for that, don't want him overdoing it and blowing it out. Definitely don't get me wrong, I think it's great that he's revisiting those albums while he's solo, with any luck he'll get some hard rocking inspiration for the new solo album. This is a really cool opportunity for anyone who can do it in my opinion. That's still kind of odd, considering his Solo shows have never been THAT STP-heavy, he may do a few tracks, but two whole albums? More power to him I suppose.

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Wow...this should be interesting. If he actually does this it could be epic!
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
This sounds very suspicious to me...his last tour was supposed to be a "Greatest Hits" tour and it was anything but, so I really don't trust this kind of publicity anymore...it would be totally cool if he did it, but I have my serious doubts about it. We could ask Doug if this is true...
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Ha, no way this is true
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
He'll never do this, no way he'll play 23 songs period at a solo show let alone Core and Purple.   And if he does, it's a cash grab, he should be out there pushing forward with new music live may it be with STP or solo.  Stuff like this is for artists in their 60's like The Who, not for a guy like Scott who is only 45 years old.  I will admit though, if he does this show in SoCal I'd go.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

CoreurpletinyNo4ShangriY

• I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES! I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES!
  • Pilot
  • I know the questions but I lost the answers
    • View Profile
Not trying to be a pessimist, but I think they'll probably play a good 3 or 4 songs from both of the albums thrown in with his solo music and VR. This is DEFINITELY ok with me, but the rest of the audience only seems to want STP songs. :/
STP Shows: 9/5/10 - 7/26/11 - 8/6/11 - 9/10/11 - 8/24/12
STP with Chester: 9/6/13 - 4/25/15
Weiland Shows: 11/28/12 - 3/12/13 - 8/14/13 - 9/14/14
- 3/10/15 - 11/28/15

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
... I seem to recall this same guy promising he'd play Core in full WITH STP, and it never happened. Hard to see this going down.

I think it's been discovered that Scott wasn't the guy holding STP back from playing certain songs.
I mean, solo, he busts out songs that STP never does. If he was the reason that they didn't play them as STP, then I don't think he'd play them solo.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Ummmmm not so fast party people, there is now another date on 3-11 and it looks like the tour is called: "The Purple To Core Tour" they say he will do the same there. Wow this is odd, if this does end up happening maybe a split from STP was good. Also if this is happening on this tour then I might just have to make a random surprise road trip to see this.

http://thehowardtheatre.com/show/2013/03/11/scott-weiland/

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
So, I asked Doug about it, and here is his answer:

"According to Scott (he told me two days ago) we are playing the best of Purple and the best of Core. I have been telling him for years that the fans want more STP hits. The deep cuts are great but most fans want hits. So now he is finally decided to do just that."

So, we are screwed!
I answered him with my opinion, it would be nice if some of you did the same...

http://www.facebook.com/Dgrean
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:26:49 PM by Manxita »
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Sad.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
So, I asked Doug about it, and here is his answer:

"According to Scott (he told me two days ago) we are playing the best of Purple and the best of Core. I have been telling him for years that the fans want more STP hits. The deep cuts are great but most fans want hits. So now he is finally decided to do just that."

lol - So Scott will just be performing the 'hits' from those albums, bascially what STP has been playing for years?  What 'fans' want to see Scott just perform the 'hits' from Core & Purple?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:29:25 PM by Five Star Edge »
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.