October 02, 2024, 02:15:36 PM

Author Topic: 2012-11-26 - Highline Ballroom, New York, NY  (Read 12570 times)

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
Re: 2012-11-26 - Highline Ballroom, New York, NY
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 11:26:17 PM »
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
Hectic (yet awesome) week, all kicked off with the show Monday night.  I haven't had time to post much in the way of a review, let alone pics or vids, but that should be fixed by the weekend when I have a chance.

For now... 'First Kiss On Mars' live @ Highline Ballroom: http://youtu.be/j5ySR2mm7lk 

*Little intro where Scott talks about this being the 2nd time he's played the song live.  It was awesome seeing him so enthusiastic throughout the show, all while laughing and joking around.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:09:47 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
Hectic (yet awesome) week, all kicked off with the show Monday night.  I haven't had time to post much in the way of a review, let alone pics or vids, but that should be fixed by the weekend when I have a chance.

For now... 'First Kiss On Mars' live @ Highline Ballroom: http://youtu.be/j5ySR2mm7lk 

*Little intro where Scott talks about this being the 2nd time he's played the song live.  It was awesome seeing him so enthusiastic throughout the show, all while laughing and joking around.

Thanks so much for sharing, and I love reading show reviews so I'm really looking forward to that. BTW, did you end up getting the meet & greet?

P.S.: Please tell me that you have a video of Desperation#5!

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »
I WANT TO GO TO A SCOTT SOLO SHOW SO RIDICULOUSLY BADLY!!!!
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 09:43:01 AM »
Better late than never, but here we go...

Here's the rest of the videos I took at the show (all in their entirety)

Mockingbird Girl: http://youtu.be/bqJAf0o1jE4

First Kiss On Mars: http://youtu.be/j5ySR2mm7lk

Art School Girl: http://youtu.be/gFrP058PmcA

Can't Stand Me Now
: http://youtu.be/Soul4jSobEA

Unglued: http://youtu.be/wd9YAnrh_HQ

After the NYC book signing last year, along with the packed solo gig afterwards, I was expecting a packed house.  Showed up about 80min before doors opened at 6pm, and there was barely a line which was great, since I was guaranteed a good spot (as you can see from the videos, I'm as close as you can get... almost too close.)  The show didn't really start filling up until around 8pm, followed by an opener, and some equipment tinkering, Scott came out around 9:30.  I saw someone had posted the setlist from the night before, but I avoided it in hopes of being surprised, although it was placed down on the stage about 12" away from me, I had to read it...

He seemed to be smiling a lot, having fun, joking around with the band on stage, and it just seemed to come through in the music.  Not really much else to say, other than THIS is what a concert should be like.  Going to a club instead of some giant stadium, watching the band have fun, play some deep tracks (which Scott made a crack about playing the same songs every night.  Obviously talking about the STP tour)

Thanks so much for sharing, and I love reading show reviews so I'm really looking forward to that. BTW, did you end up getting the meet & greet?

P.S.: Please tell me that you have a video of Desperation#5!

Manxita, sorry I didn't get Desperation #5.   I tried to space out my recording, but really wanted Mockingbird & First Kiss, and didn't want to record 3 in a row (using my iPhone BTW). 

Onto the meet & greet.  When the doors opened, I asked around and was eventually told it would be held after the show.  Which, based on the small club size, and the small turn out in the beginning, looked good.  The show ended, I grabbed the setlist off the stage, and just waited... maybe less than an hour.  Everyone went upstairs, and it seemed like some people bought the M&G tickets the day of, or were just hooked up with the upgrade because they knew people at the venue.  Either way, I'd guess no more than 50 people.  Basically Scott just stood there as people lined up, shook his hand, said a few words, posed for a picture or two, and then that was it.  It was fairly casual, and they didn't rush you as much as an album signing, or book signing, but you could tell they were trying to hurry things along.  I waited till the end, shook his hand, just kinda said my piece as a fan, told him it'd be nice if he recorded his shows and sold em, cause I'd be buying shows I went to and definitely some of the ones I missed too.  Got a few pictures, he signed my setlist, and that was it. 

I'd say it was well worth it...  Especially the whole night for $110 ($50 tix/$60 upgrade). Been a fan since 1993, gone to countless shows, sound checks, book signings, album signings, etc., yet after this one show I'm walking away from a great show, meeting Scott, getting some pictures, and a signed setlist. 

Oh, and I told Doug Grean that if I won that huge PowerBall jackpot, I'd hire them to play a private show for $1mil, but they'd have to play all the rare tracks they never play.  He laughed, and said for that much they'd do it.  Unfortunately, I didn't win.  (Woulda been a free concert for everyone on the forum.)

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »
Awesome man. Sounds like a great evening.

Side note. I hope he gets back with STP and plays rare songs at some small clubs lime this. I think the hardcore fans would come out and respond better despite what Dean thinks.
adhesive love

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »

Side note. I hope he gets back with STP and plays rare songs at some small clubs lime this. I think the hardcore fans would come out and respond better despite what Dean thinks.

I'm unaware of the Dean situation... does he think it's better to play only the hits?  Cause, as much as I'm with you wanting STP to get back together ASAP... in recent years, I've gravitated more towards Scott solo & VR.  When he's solo he plays rare songs, covers, and constantly changes things up.  With VR, they put on great shows, doing VR, STP, GnR songs, along with covers every night. 

I'm surprised the turnout for this show wasn't bigger, as well as the M&G.  Especially since the book signing he did last year had a big turn out in NYC & Jersey. 

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »

I'm unaware of the Dean situation... does he think it's better to play only the hits?  Cause, as much as I'm with you wanting STP to get back together ASAP... in recent years, I've gravitated more towards Scott solo & VR.  When he's solo he plays rare songs, covers, and constantly changes things up.  With VR, they put on great shows, doing VR, STP, GnR songs, along with covers every night. 

I'm surprised the turnout for this show wasn't bigger, as well as the M&G.  Especially since the book signing he did last year had a big turn out in NYC & Jersey. 

Ya know I almost did the M&G but for what its worth I hadn't been on here in a month or two and I just found out about it like 2 days before the show.  So there really wasn't a huge advertisement that I saw of the M&G.  I ended up passing because I didn't have any time to read a review of anyone who did it from the opening night so I didn't want to possibly wind up disappointed if it turned out like the M&G for the last STP tour.
Now I def wish I had though.....  Only bummer was that the M&G for the STP tour was about the same price I think and that got you a bunch of other merch and whatnot to go along with it.  Not that it's required and I think $60 to just meet take a picture get an autograph and ask a question or two of your idol is totally worth it, but I could see why a lot of other people may not want to invest double the $$ for a M&G that didn't really have much information about it.

I kinda also had a feeling that a fair amount of the people that were there, weren't necessarily there for the love of Scott.  Either lack of knowledge and assuming it would be all STP songs or just there to act all bougie.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
No, the STP m&g with Scott (that never happened) was 125 dollars. So that was probably 60 for the meet and the other 65 for the merch, or something like that...

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:29 PM »

Ya know I almost did the M&G but for what its worth I hadn't been on here in a month or two and I just found out about it like 2 days before the show.  So there really wasn't a huge advertisement that I saw of the M&G.  I ended up passing because I didn't have any time to read a review of anyone who did it from the opening night so I didn't want to possibly wind up disappointed if it turned out like the M&G for the last STP tour.
Now I def wish I had though.....  Only bummer was that the M&G for the STP tour was about the same price I think and that got you a bunch of other merch and whatnot to go along with it.  Not that it's required and I think $60 to just meet take a picture get an autograph and ask a question or two of your idol is totally worth it, but I could see why a lot of other people may not want to invest double the $$ for a M&G that didn't really have much information about it.

I kinda also had a feeling that a fair amount of the people that were there, weren't necessarily there for the love of Scott.  Either lack of knowledge and assuming it would be all STP songs or just there to act all bougie.

I come and go on here randomly, but try to keep as up to date as possible.  Got an email from Highline about a 10% discount for Cyber Monday and saw the M&G upgrade.  Checked here, but since it was the 2nd night of this new tour, nothing concrete on it.  I was leaning towards just pulling the trigger, and then Manxita pushed me over the edge to buy it...and I'm glad I did (She basically convinced me I had nothing to lose, and it'd get refunded it if were canceled). I almost feel like it was more luck than a package... because with Scott's elusive track record, I had no idea what to expect until it happened.  (Tried a sound check VIP thing with VR a few years back, supposed to meet the band or something, but got a bunch of merch & signed pic instead, not bad though.)

Thanks again Manxita, couldn't have been happier with how it turned out.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
I cant believe they played First kiss on mars awesome. now if stp could bust that one out that would be amazing. keep playing rare songs scott!

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 01:33:01 AM »

I come and go on here randomly, but try to keep as up to date as possible.  Got an email from Highline about a 10% discount for Cyber Monday and saw the M&G upgrade.  Checked here, but since it was the 2nd night of this new tour, nothing concrete on it.  I was leaning towards just pulling the trigger, and then Manxita pushed me over the edge to buy it...and I'm glad I did (She basically convinced me I had nothing to lose, and it'd get refunded it if were canceled). I almost feel like it was more luck than a package... because with Scott's elusive track record, I had no idea what to expect until it happened.  (Tried a sound check VIP thing with VR a few years back, supposed to meet the band or something, but got a bunch of merch & signed pic instead, not bad though.)

Thanks again Manxita, couldn't have been happier with how it turned out.

You're welcome! :) I'm happy I could help.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »
Here's my pics from the show.  Not very happy with the way they turned out.  Prior to the band's set they were pumping the fog machine like it was going out of style and it messed around with the lighting for my camera.
I tried a couple with flash but I never like the way they come out with flash, plus the amount of pictures I take I would make Scott have a seizure by his 4th song.  Anyhoo, enjoy!!

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0IbuGLZo4bMWEc
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18