September 17, 2024, 08:22:46 PM

Author Topic: End of tour...  (Read 14391 times)

stp4ever

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: End of tour...
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
Hey,

I got to hang out with the boys in the ARMY OF ANYONE days and belive it or not they we're losing money by doing that band, yes I'd love some new AOA but doubt it will ever happen unless Scott leaves STP, even then they would be better off just getting a hologram of him and doing greatest hits at clubs. Don't get your hopes up for sure, but then again we're use to that with this band soooo...... How are they one of the greatest rock n roll bands of all time yet are just so.......illusive? Its like arrowsmith, doors, beatles, zepplin, hendrix, stones, STP, yet it most ways stp fits but their credability is what lacks I guess, a good portion of people just don't get it.....WTF?

Anywho lets try to stay positive about the future, their all alive and they are just one stay in rehab and a verse and a chorus away from greatness, HA!

-ChaseR

That would be freakin' awesome if they weren't losing money on AoA. I make a point of playing that album when I'm driving and I have somebody in the car who I know likes rock music. So far NOBODY has heard of AoA before. But everybody who likes rock music said they love the album.

I had time to play just It Doesn't Seem to Matter for a friend once, and he was like "This is way better than that 'even when we used to take drugs' song (He was referring to Between the Lines).

I agreed with him wholeheartedly.

stpizbest

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
Love this board and the fan support for STP.  I was at the pearl for their vegas show and it was so fucking awesome!  I went the year before while they were promoting their STP album and that show was great as well but not as good as the 9/22 performance.  This last show was like them playing a best of STP.  Meatplow, big bang baby, vasoline, unglued, i wanted to write down the play list for you guys but i got so caught up in the concert!  What i love so much about STP is how well they sound live.  I've heard their songs probably hundreds of times at this point and what they produce on stage is almost identical to their digital recording.  It's truly amazing

furthermore i don't why some members of this board are predicting their demise.  after vegas they played in irvine at a rock festival where they were the last act to perform which i take as huge respect, no?  their album STP sold really well so why break up?  the boys played with great energy and weiland by the end of the night was red and sweaty as shit.  they all had great interaction with the fans in the pit and by the end (After three encores) they were smiling and appeared happy.  i hope the entire band realizes that at this point they all need each other.  Weiland has an amazing voice but it is complemented best with his bandmates.  LOVE STP

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »
Hey,

I got to hang out with the boys in the ARMY OF ANYONE days and belive it or not they we're losing money by doing that band, yes I'd love some new AOA but doubt it will ever happen unless Scott leaves STP, even then they would be better off just getting a hologram of him and doing greatest hits at clubs. Don't get your hopes up for sure, but then again we're use to that with this band soooo...... How are they one of the greatest rock n roll bands of all time yet are just so.......illusive? Its like arrowsmith, doors, beatles, zepplin, hendrix, stones, STP, yet it most ways stp fits but their credability is what lacks I guess, a good portion of people just don't get it.....WTF?

Anywho lets try to stay positive about the future, their all alive and they are just one stay in rehab and a verse and a chorus away from greatness, HA!

-ChaseR

I'm not saying your lying, but if they were losing money it was do to their own poor planning.  They sold a fair amount of albums and I know people came to their shows I was at a few of them.  So I guess maybe they were losing money if they were spending it as lavishly as they were use to with STP type money rolling in, but they definitely could make money off of Army of Anyone.  There are far less commercially successful bands that continue to make money and tour.  They just weren't making the money they were use to making.  Thus they deemed it a failure.  With some more leg work that I don't think they were willing to put in I think they could have built up Army of Anyone into a very successful act.  It just didn't explode like they expected it to, so they gave up on it. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:12:48 PM by cagedtiger1640 »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
Yeah I was wondering about that too. If it were not possible to make money off selling 100,000 albums, then not a lot of albums would ever get released.

I can only assume that releasing through a major label sucks up all the cash, leaving them with not a lot.

PilotsFan

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »
As a newer member of the BE community but an STP fan since the beginning, I certainly hope all this talk of STP being finished is just that . . . talk.  I don't think they're done at all.  I had been waiting 20 years to see them live and was finally able to see them play the Pearl at the Palms in Las Vegas on 9/20.  They looked great and sounded FANTASTIC.  It truly was the fulfillment of my rock and roll dream.

It was near the end of one of the last songs in their set—“Unglued” perhaps—that I happened to look up at the monitor on the right side of the stage and caught a glimpse of Eric’s face as he was getting everyone in sync to finish off the song.    He had a smile of anticipation on his face which seemed to say to me (unless I’m reading too much into it) “Yeah, we still know how to bring it.”  Granted, maybe I’m overstating a quick glance.  Or maybe Eric always looks like that – or maybe I was just basking in the glow of my first STP show and the realization that I was actually in the same room with them.  After all, when they walked on stage I could feel the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and then the first chord of “Sin” hit . . . pure delirium.  I can only imagine what it would have been like to see them in ’93/’94 . . .

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:43:22 PM by PilotsFan »

art school dropout

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:39 AM »
As a newer member of the BE community but an STP fan since the beginning, I certainly hope all this talk of STP being finished is just that . . . talk.  I don't think they're done at all.  I had been waiting 20 years to see them live and was finally able to see them play the Pearl at the Palms in Las Vegas on 9/20.  They looked great and sounded FANTASTIC.  It truly was the fulfillment of my rock and roll dream.

It was near the end of one of the last songs in their set—“Unglued” perhaps—that I happened to look up at the monitor on the right side of the stage and caught a glimpse of Eric’s face as he was getting everyone in sync to finish off the song.    He had a smile of anticipation on his face which seemed to say to me (unless I’m reading too much into it) “Yeah, we still know how to bring it.”  Granted, maybe I’m overstating a quick glance.  Or maybe Eric always looks like that – or maybe I was just basking in the glow of my first STP show and the realization that I was actually in the same room with them.  After all, when they walked on stage I could feel the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and then the first chord of “Sin” hit . . . pure delirium.  I can only imagine what it would have been like to see them in ’93/’94 . . .

I saw them at the beginning of this tour and I thought the same. It was awesome and they were all having a blast, there's no doubt about it. They sounded great and switched up their playlist. They were joking, laughing and jumping around all night(I was too for that matter)
I love the atmosphere at their shows. I always meet such nice people. :)
with sleeping pills you shouldn't fiddle

*07-22-11*09-08-11*
*08-19-12 *08-21-12

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Don't ask me questions I don't need no alibis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 07:17:38 AM »
  their album STP sold really well so why break up?

There is a long list of reasons why break up, but as far as STP the album selling really well, it did not.
It was their worst selling album. Whereas their previous albums were RIAA Certified, STP didn't even seem to reach the (lowest) Silver status. I would guess it did personally, just can't find proof of that.

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »
Hey,

-ChaseR

I'm not saying your lying, but if they were losing money it was do to their own poor planning.  They sold a fair amount of albums and I know people came to their shows I was at a few of them.  So I guess maybe they were losing money if they were spending it as lavishly as they were use to with STP type money rolling in, but they definitely could make money off of Army of Anyone.  There are far less commercially successful bands that continue to make money and tour.  They just weren't making the money they were use to making.  Thus they deemed it a failure.  With some more leg work that I don't think they were willing to put in I think they could have built up Army of Anyone into a very successful act.  It just didn't explode like they expected it to, so they gave up on it.

It is no surprise AoA lost money. It was not due to poor planning, or their wild spending, and is not a perception problem as far as them being less successfull in this project when compared to STP or Filter....more so a fact that they were far less successful. It is simple, they did not sell a fair amount of albums, they sold less then 100,000. Probablly less then the last STP album sold. In its first week it only sold about 20,000, which for a considered "supergroup" is a major dissapointment and failure. It is irrelevant if other bands are touring and selling less.  No it didn't explode, that was the problem.
They don't put the effort into it, because it is a band going nowhere. They gave it more then one shot, and nothing came of it. Bands can't make records that financially fail, and keep making more of them. What record company is going to back that up? That's why they give up. They seem to dig each other and leave the door open for future recording, but it would most likely be done on their dime and recorded in Rob's studio. It is more of a hobby type band for these guys. If they all had absolutely nothing else going on...that's the only time there would ever be potential for something from AoA......so good news for AoA fans, with STP potentially closing up shop for a while, who knows we may see it after all....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:47:25 AM by lowbuz »

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »
Quite honestly, you guys, all it takes is STP writing one SUPER catchy song to be back on top... but they won't do it. It's a double edge sword, right? You can't have your cake and eat it too. With S/T all they had to do was bend their own rules just a little bit, but they stuck to their guns and made a kickass, intregrity driven album. God bless 'em, but it killed their chances at a comeback.

They forgot what people love about them... and even though Scott takes a large portion of the blame, I would just as soon blame the Deleos. They're in charge of the overall sound, and I honestly think they've lost their touch a little... GO AHEAD AND SMITE AWAY! Kretz is cool, I can't hate Kretz.

They actually did write a super catchy tune, it was called Between The Lines. It went #1 and was obviously the big hit off the album. Are we implying that the band shy's away from writing catchy songs that will help sell albums and keep them alive, successful and famous? And are we implying that catchy songs can't be kickass and integrity driven? Crazy...

stpizbest

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »
  their album STP sold really well so why break up?

There is a long list of reasons why break up, but as far as STP the album selling really well, it did not.
It was their worst selling album. Whereas their previous albums were RIAA Certified, STP didn't even seem to reach the (lowest) Silver status. I would guess it did personally, just can't find proof of that.

Damn it!  You're totally right about STP not selling that well.  I assumed that because of the strong week 1 sales the album would have gone to gold but alas it did not.  Anyways, they sounded so great live, it's been over a month since I saw them play and I'm still thinking about them.  I wish they would tour more often

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »
62,000 copies really isn't a strong first week at all, especially not for a well established act like STP. The only reason it got so high up the charts is because it was an especially low sales week all round.

After 4 weeks it still had only just matched the first week sales of SLDD, and STP considered the sales of SLDD a big disappointment.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
Hey,

-ChaseR

Just because someone saw a show or two sell tickets, does not mean all shows sold a lot of tickets. Sure they sold out a venue in Atlanta that held 1000 people or so, but in Saint Pete they didn't sell enough tickets and had to switch to a smaller venue the day of the show. I'd say there we're maybe 50 people at that show. Also I heard the last tour they did was a lot of the same thing. Hell they played house of blues in Orlando and it wasn't even half full...... 

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 05:26:51 AM »
Hey,

-ChaseR

Just because someone saw a show or two sell tickets, does not mean all shows sold a lot of tickets. Sure they sold out a venue in Atlanta that held 1000 people or so, but in Saint Pete they didn't sell enough tickets and had to switch to a smaller venue the day of the show. I'd say there we're maybe 50 people at that show. Also I heard the last tour they did was a lot of the same thing. Hell they played house of blues in Orlando and it wasn't even half full...... 

50 people?  I think you might be exaggerating a bit there.  I'd give an arm and a leg to see them with only 50 people
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

stpizbest

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2012, 07:28:54 AM »
The show in vegas at the pearl was 3/4 full and there was great energy in the theater from both the crowd and the band.  It should be noted that show was on a thursday.  They played so many good songs and sounded great.

stpizbest

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 07:30:39 AM »
62,000 copies really isn't a strong first week at all, especially not for a well established act like STP. The only reason it got so high up the charts is because it was an especially low sales week all round.

After 4 weeks it still had only just matched the first week sales of SLDD, and STP considered the sales of SLDD a big disappointment.

Stonetemplebrett made this point in another thread:

The irony is this 'STP had terrible sales on self-titled' is bullshit.  Muse, who are thought of as one of the biggest bands in America, sold 100,000 copies of their new album in its first week in the United States.  STP's self-titled album sold 62,000 copies first week in the U.S. debuting at #2.  You'd expect a much bigger differential between a young band who are at their peak in popularity compared to a veteran band.  Also STP's contemporaries sold the following first week on their most recent albums: Smashing Pumpkins (55,000), Bush (20,000), Jane's Addiction (25,000), hell even a young band in Cage the Elephant only 40,000.  Record sales are just down, only a few hard rock bands are able to have solid sales numbers in the United States like Foo Fighters and a handful of others.  STP's goal needs to be to gain momentum through new music.