September 20, 2024, 07:35:54 PM

Author Topic: David Bowie / Beatles Influence....  (Read 5229 times)

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Don't ask me questions I don't need no alibis.
    • View Profile
David Bowie / Beatles Influence....
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:36:08 PM »
Am I the only one that hears a HEAVY influence from the Beatles and especially David Bowie on this album?
I have read that Bowie had a huge influence on Weiland, never heard it before until it slapped me in the face on this album, now I can't listen to Scott without hearing him. THe correlation seems blatently obvious to me now.
Musically and from a guitarists standpoint, I feel the the footprint of Beatles music all over it. Even from a vocal standpoint, it seems more and more in every new album there are more and more backing vocals.

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
Re: David Bowie / Beatles Influence....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
The Beatles influence has been there since SLDD, at least from my point of view.

Scott has adopted the Bowie - like voice since 2007.. and slowly, he have adopted it more and more.  That low vibrato style of singing very well known of Bowie, is what we can hear now in any SW show. Also, as a singer, i can tell you that singing like this is one of the easiest ways of singing. Scott with a baritone voice, can really mold his voice to this style and he has used it for those high notes that live, are really hard to hit. Ex: Do it for the kids - the bridge of the song.

I LOVE David Bowie and i love Scott. They are main influences on my singing style and definetely, i admire them separately because even though Scott sings like Bowie now, he still have his own voice personality and well, Bowie will always be Bowie.

Now, the influence of Bowie in Scott can be notices in the writing of the lyrics since Tiny music.
I recall an interview where Scott himself said that he felt free of writing the lyrics of the songs without a pressure of making sense.. just fill the emotions with the words that came to this head even if it didnt make sense at all.

Without Sir David Bowie, Scott wouldnt be half as good as he is. But, you know, thats like, uhm, my opinion man. :D
Seems like you left me when you broke down

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
The Beatles influence has been there since SLDD, at least from my point of view.
I'd say No. 4.  Go listen to Sour Girl.

This album has a lot of influences, obviously.  I certainly think there is a lot of old-school Aerosmith in here as well.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »

This album has a lot of influences, obviously.  I certainly think there is a lot of old-school Aerosmith in here as well.
I'd say Tiny Music! Lol seriously, Lady Picture Show is probably the most Beatles-esque song STP has ever done IMO
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »

I'd say Tiny Music! Lol seriously, Lady Picture Show is probably the most Beatles-esque song STP has ever done IMO
I was waiting for someone to say Tiny Music and LPS! That sticks out as the most obvious Beatles influence easily for me.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

Lukas Deleo

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »
I was wondering if Scott can sing with low voice like in "Core" in the next album.

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
I was wondering if Scott can sing with low voice like in "Core" in the next album.

Next album?

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »

Next album?

Scott will live long enough for us to perfect the "live forever technology", which gets him to 2433-1/3, which gets him the technology of time travel, he goes back in time to after core is released, but before purple, just to record a "new album" in a "low voice" for this guy..... :)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 05:33:13 AM »
Why, you think with all STP has had in the past and they still released records that at some point in the future another STP work isnt possible??  Bah - humbug

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:38:05 AM »

I'd say Purple! Not really though, just thought I'd keep the train rollin. Maybe a little in Still Remains though.
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it