September 21, 2024, 01:03:36 AM

Author Topic: 2 years since self titled already...  (Read 16695 times)

nakedninja21

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: 2 years since self titled already...
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
Figure it would be appropriate to post my first post under the new album. I remember getting this album as a gift from my wife. I had ignored it forever( unlike their entire previous catalog). It's different and not quite as heavy as I would like but catchy as hell.  Like the rest of the 90s bands (aka the cliche of grunge ) I grow fonder and fonder of them as they seem to age like fine wine. BTW hello everyone. Been a fan since the 90s its good to see fans not arguing with each other like children. I don't get on these boards very much but figured I'd stop creeping....
Pleased to meet you, nice to know me...

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
Figure it would be appropriate to post my first post under the new album. I remember getting this album as a gift from my wife. I had ignored it forever( unlike their entire previous catalog). It's different and not quite as heavy as I would like but catchy as hell.  Like the rest of the 90s bands (aka the cliche of grunge ) I grow fonder and fonder of them as they seem to age like fine wine. BTW hello everyone. Been a fan since the 90s its good to see fans not arguing with each other like children. I don't get on these boards very much but figured I'd stop creeping....

Welcome!!!  We're Judas Priest
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2013, 03:00:57 AM »

Nah, I know what you mean. Some of my favorite albums are initially albums I hate. By The Way by Red Hot Chili Peppers is a perfect example.

I think Self Title was, in itself, a good album. The songs were well written and well recorded. Where it fell flat with a lot of people is the fact that it was released 9 years after SLDD, and had no bridge between itself and any of their other albums. Someone could easily make the jump between Core and Purple, or Core and No. 4, or Purple and Tiny Music, or Purple and SLDD, but Self Title felt far removed from anything, WAY FAR REMOVED from anything. If you're going to stop making albums for nearly a decade, meanwhile your first two albums are gaining momentum, then it's probably not a terrible idea to sway the songwriting a little more towards Core or Purple.

"No way man, that's selling out!"

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. STP didn't do it, more respect to them, but Self Title failed before it even had a chance.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
Not there best album but still a quality album in my mind, still listen to it once in a while, a real good driving cs
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Niktus

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
I think that I hear Take a Load Off one, two or three times everytime that I´m in front of my computer... I just can´t get tire of it.

I didn´t like Between the lines when it was released... but when I get the full album and hear the first two chords of Dean in TALO I simply get crazy... was like
"OOOOK BOYS... WELCOME AGAIN... I LOVE YOU FOR THIS!"

Overall... it is a good album but I don´t find the same mystic of the others... except in TALO, of course...

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Don't ask me questions I don't need no alibis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2013, 05:35:58 AM »
It feels like yesterday that I bought that album. I definitely thought it was better than I do now, but it's still a solid rocker. I still really like "Peacoat" and "First Kiss on Mars".

Bring on the new STP!

I'm the exact opposite. I liked about 3 songs when I first got it, but now I love the whole thing. Really looking forward to the follow up.
I liked three songs on it then, and I still like three songs on it. By far worst of all of their albums if you ask me. What follow up??

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Don't ask me questions I don't need no alibis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2013, 05:44:13 AM »
Live recordings should have no editing done of any kind save for maybe some graphic equalization or level adjustments to improve the playback experience. I could probably get over the digital removal of a cough/burp/sneeze or something, but even these things add to the authenticity.
all live albums today have a ton of editing and post production on them.  pretty basic stuff. but for sure the STP live album is fairly far from LIVE I'll agree with you on that ! It's probablly the best example of the most you can do or get away with in terms of a LIVE performace before you saw screw it, throw it away, and start over again. It's pretty extreme. Oddly enough I enjoy it nonetheless.

TinyPenisMusic

• Co-Pilot
  • WTF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »
Did any of you ever notice that in the bonus DVD interview (the one where Kretzel won't shut up ;) ) that Dean finishes Scott's sentences 2-3 times?  I can only assume that Dean wants Scott to hurry up and finish his sentence before he dozes off.
"Hey buddy are you lubed up?" -Scott Weiland

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2013, 08:58:35 AM »
Did any of you ever notice that in the bonus DVD interview (the one where Kretzel won't shut up ;) ) that Dean finishes Scott's sentences 2-3 times?  I can only assume that Dean wants Scott to hurry up and finish his sentence before he dozes off.

That's funny, I haven't seen that but I saw another interview where Scott keeps interrupting Dean. Maybe it's the same interview and I just had it backwards this whole time.

Was interview interrupting = the band breaking up?

Just kidding.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
Anyone else realize that it'll have been three years since Self Titled next month lol?

nakedninja21

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
Didn't even think about it. Wow did that go fast. How nice it would be to be expecting a new album this Spring........womp womp womp
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:58:23 PM by nakedninja21 »
Pleased to meet you, nice to know me...

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2013, 04:41:29 AM »

That's funny, I haven't seen that but I saw another interview where Scott keeps interrupting Dean. Maybe it's the same interview and I just had it backwards this whole time.

Just kidding.

Is this interview on youtube?
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 07:42:54 AM »

Just kidding.

Is this interview on youtube?

Tried looking for it but its impossible to find by now. It was shortly before the self title album came out, and the host was interviewing the band about the album.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
mine is sitting at that ol used record store in the sky.  rip lil buddy.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2013, 05:30:54 AM »
I lost this cd and am pissed.  Such a bummer!
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)