September 21, 2024, 04:11:50 AM

Author Topic: 2 years since self titled already...  (Read 16705 times)

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
Re: 2 years since self titled already...
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 02:32:06 AM »
yeah Purple is and always will be a masterpiece. probably the most darkest stp album, if you take adhesive and threw it on there i think it would be. actually just for fun ill list the emotions/feelings i get from each stp album.
Core- the most angry
Purple- the darkest
Tiny music- very sad also the most tripped out
N4- kinda the same as core but not quite as angry
Shangri- the most pretty beautiful
self titled- a really good mix of everything

Hehe, not sure I agree with this. Purple is amazing, but I wouldn't call it dark by any means. If anything, it felt very whimsical. Tiny Music seems to have the reputation as being their artsy album, but I would argue that Purple is.

As for S/T, yeah I agree, nothing about this album was safe. Like always, STP ventured into an unexplored sound, and I commend them for that.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 03:54:13 AM »
Been meaning to give my two cents here but have just been busy, so here it goes

I like the album slightly less now than I did two years ago. When it came out, I was obsessed and listened to it non-stop that summer, but I knew at the time that I would be obsessed with it because it was NEW STP and the first album to be released while I was a die-hard crazy fan.

Anyways, Fast As I Can was far and away my favorite song off the album for a long time, and while I still like it, I definitely don't consider it one of STP's best songs like I did 2 years ago. There wasn't one song on the album that I didn't like (of course) and now I'd have to say that Take A Load Off, Fast As I Can, and Peacoat are my three favorites off the album (in that order). Little side note about Peacoat: it took awhile to really grow on me, but I think it's one of the more unique-sounding STP songs and I think it features Scott's best lyrics off self-titled.

When it comes to the album and where it stands against the rest of the material, initially when I was deeply in love with it I confidently placed it as STP's 4th best album, ahead of Shangri-La and No.4 for me. Nowadays, it's not 100% their fourth-best for me, but I wouldn't call it their weakest album...I don't think I like it as much as Shangri-La now but it still might beat out No. 4. While No. 4 has some amazing songs that are better than anything on self-titled, as a whole self-titled is the more enjoyable record for me.

To make a long story short, I really, really like the self-titled album and still enjoy every song on it. I'm not as obsessed as I was summer 2010, but it's far from a disappointing album and stands high among the rest of the band's catalog in my opinion. One last thought: in retrospect I can definitely see why some fans might not like it as much and I think the album's glaring weakness is the definite feel that the band didn't record all of it together and that they didn't perform most of the songs live. That shit is inexcusable.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:56:42 AM by wickedgarden23 »
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kvd-7Iavpo

Hilarious...not just what he says but the way he says it
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 05:34:32 AM »
Purple to me is dark because during that whole time scott was a wreck. the lyrics alone are pretty lonely. Loungefly, silvergun, interstate, big empty. these imo are pretty deep sad songs so thats what i mean when i say purple has a dark feeling to it. purple and tiny music i would have to say were scotts worse years obviously with the heroin. not to mention scott was also in a mental hospital right before the making of purple.

444neo

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
I wasn't a major fan of "selftitled" from the beginning and still am not. Their previous albums sounded more fresh and creative to me. Also what struck me is that they could play practically every night the same setlist during recent tours. And finally I am worried about Scott's health and his voice.
I am still an STP fan but I really hope that their next release will prove that they can still sound fresh and creative as before.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
not to mention scott was also in a mental hospital right before the making of purple.
What?? How have I never heard that before...

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »
not to mention scott was also in a mental hospital right before the making of purple.
What?? How have I never heard that before...

Wasn't that once when he was a teenager? I don't have his book with me right now so I can't check...
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »
there was a few books i read where scott had said himself that he never heard the final master tracks to purple until much later when he checked out of a mental hospital. he said the tracks simply sounded beautiful. in a spin magazine september 1993 that was when he went to the hospital. and than theres the little book written from ian gittians where scott said when he was a teenager he got carried out of class on a strecher. so i guess there was 2 incidents.

and to 444neo i think scott sounds amazing now a days, hes in much better shape now than he was back in 2003. scotts doing excellent imo and he still wites incredible lyrics and melodys.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »
Two years already and really I just started halfway enjoying some of the songs on the album. It took me a hell of a long time but thanks to Spotify, I gave the album a long and hard honest listen. Overtime I found I enjoyed Huckleberry Crumble, Hickory Dichotomy, and Take A Load Off. When this album came out and I checked it out, I disapproved, however after a few tries and a few hardcore listens I've realized it isn't a half bad album. Though I wish it had been a better album I can honestly say we could've done a hell of a lot worse.

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 05:41:03 AM »
In this crappy Nickleback/Shinedown/Disturbed rock scene, this album os an absolute gem.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 06:58:25 AM »
Two years already and really I just started halfway enjoying some of the songs on the album. It took me a hell of a long time but thanks to Spotify, I gave the album a long and hard honest listen. Overtime I found I enjoyed Huckleberry Crumble, Hickory Dichotomy, and Take A Load Off. When this album came out and I checked it out, I disapproved, however after a few tries and a few hardcore listens I've realized it isn't a half bad album. Though I wish it had been a better album I can honestly say we could've done a hell of a lot worse.

Eh, this is all subjective anyway, right? Down-Plush, I have studied your opinions when it comes to STP, and I can see where this album doesn't jive your way, but that doesn't mean should've been "better." Just saying, no disrespect.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »

Eh, this is all subjective anyway, right? Down-Plush, I have studied your opinions when it comes to STP, and I can see where this album doesn't jive your way, but that doesn't mean should've been "better." Just saying, no disrespect.
None taken. However, I never said it should've been better. What I said, as you can see in the quote, is I wish it had been better. It's implied that I'm talking about the album from my perspective, better in my opinion. By no means am I saying the album could've been better for everyone, that's one sided. Everyone has a different opinion of the STP albums and I'm well aware, this album could be someones favorite, and that's fine. In my opinion, it could've been better that's all I'm saying. Whether you or anyone else think it could've better or not is your business and that's just fine.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
I remember walking to Walmart and buying the only copy of the CD that came into the store on release day. Oddly enough, I had the same experience buying the last U2 album from the very same Walmart.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2013, 02:12:55 AM »
I think I bought mine at Target, but my most vivid memory was how confused I was by how many different versions of the album there were. There was the standard 12 (or was it 13?) track version with no bonus tracks, there was a "Deluxe" edition in a standard jewel case with Samba Nova and a few live tracks as well as a bonus DVD (which is the version I bought and still own), then there was another "Deluxe" (I think?) version that was either in a Digipak or had a slipcase or something where the gold parts of the cover were actually foil and not just gold/mustard colored ink. I don't recall offhand if this was actually a variation of the standard album or the deluxe album, or if I ever even found out. There may have even been a 4th version that included About a Fool, but I don't remember for sure. I'm not sure why we needed so many different versions of this, but whatever. That said, I wouldn't mind getting a hold of the version with the foil accents since I thought that looked pretty cool, better than the standard art for sure. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing I don't even remember what's on the bonus DVD. Now I'm questioning if I've even ever popped it in! How funny is that. I mainly bought the Deluxe version for Samba Nova, which is a damn good song. The live tracks are alright. My biggest issue with STP and live tracks (the STP album bonuses as well as the Live in the Windy City DVD) is that all the vocals were overdubbed by either studio tracks or pieced together from other live shows where the vocal performance was considered superior. I don't know if this was a studio or band decision, or if we'll ever know, but this is a major point of contention for me. I absolutely fucking love live recordings, they depict a band in it's native, most raw environment. They are a true testament to a band's ability and it's all the so-called "imperfections" and quirks that make live recordings so cool. When bands/studios go back and edit live recordings, you're defeating the whole purpose. If what you want is a studio recording with audience noise, then why not just have the band re-record the hits in a studio and add an audience in the background during mixing? It doesn't make any sense to me, and it pisses me off. Live recordings should have no editing done of any kind save for maybe some graphic equalization or level adjustments to improve the playback experience. I could probably get over the digital removal of a cough/burp/sneeze or something, but even these things add to the authenticity. To replace guitar solos where the player may have flubbed a note or replace entire vocal tracks is an atrocity, not to mention false advertising. </tangent>

EDIT: I guess I should at least mention how I feel about the album, since that's what the thread is really here for. I liked the album on release, and I still like it and I think it's a DAMN shame that it wasn't received better by people. It's their best and most consistent album since Tiny Music to be sure. Weiland's vocal approach on some of the songs are not how I would've handled things, though; I'm not a fan of the high, nasally voice he seemed to favor on a handful of tracks like Dare if You Dare, Hazy Daze, etc. I remember not being a fan of the fact he used the Still Remains chorus voice on much of Tiny Music when it first came out, which is also more high pitched, but it doesn't bother me at all any more. The nasally voice on some of STP though is worse, sounds like he's singing while holding his nose. That's my only really gripe with the album, and it's only really applicable to 2-3 songs anyway. The lyrics aren't as good as Purple or Tiny Music, but neither are STP's other albums. While Between the Lines did pretty well, the comparisons to that Nirvana song and the lack of any other Plush-caliber singles are what really hurt the album, IMO. We live in a single-dominated musical environment now, nobody buys albums any more unless they're chock full of hits. Something I think is interesting to ponder that no one really ever mentions is how would SLDD have done had it been released when STP was instead of STP? I bet it would have tanked even worse than STP did.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:41:39 AM by nat »

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 05:05:05 AM »
I had to order my copy of Self Titled from HMV.  Not seen the album here at all!
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun