September 29, 2024, 04:22:47 AM

Author Topic: Velvet Revolver Reunited (70% chance of BS)  (Read 39283 times)

Janny la de da

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Velvet Revolver Reunited (70% chance of BS)
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2012, 02:07:44 AM »
Oh, and just wanted to add, why, with this upcoming tour, is the STP site not updated?  I went there to see if they had any Canadian dates (cuz you know, they DO have fans in Canada, would be nice to see them come up here too) and there is nothing listed for tours, not even on their facebook page?

I am, I am, I said, I'm not myself...

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2012, 04:49:20 AM »
Maybe the audio is from 2003  :P

Hahaha. Yeah, and Axl called up the radio station and played it as a prank.

I doubt we'll be hearing anything more about this any time soon. I could imagine a lot of damage control going on right now, especially on Weiland's end.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2012, 05:23:59 AM »
It's just really strange that the VR official site is all of a sudden down...

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2012, 05:40:43 AM »
Did anyone happen to check the VR website in the week or so before this?  Do we know that this is a new thing with it being down?

May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2012, 06:47:44 AM »
I heard that clip.  It's the one I was referring to in my post. Where's the rest?

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »
It's just really strange that the VR official site is all of a sudden down...

Maybe the band doesn't want anyone posting on their boards saying how good of an idea it is to get the life blood of their band back.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »
Did anyone happen to check the VR website in the week or so before this?  Do we know that this is a new thing with it being down?

It was up less than a month ago, but was down when I checked right after this thread was posted. 

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
I agree with this as well, and that should show Scott which band to be more loyal to. Scott has pulled way more shit on the Deleo's than with VR, yet the Deleo's are still willing to put up with it after 20 years.
You know, I totally disagree.  You're not the first person to make this "point" but I think its a bullshit point.  The Deleo's and Eric have made every attempt to distance themselves from Scott their various side projects are testament to this.  They've even said in interviews more than once, that they would have no problem saying "fuck you" (to Scott) if their side projects took off.  Further, we have comments from all the parties that the reunion was for money.  Out of respect for Scott the musician (and how irreplaceable he is) they didnt kick him out of the band, but lets not put the Deleos on some pedestal here, when its amazingly clear that they'd do something else with someone else if they could make the kind of money they can make with Scott.  Everyone in STP is there for the money. 

I dont like my boss, but I tolerate it because I enjoy earning money.  The Deleos by their own admission are no different. 

Now dont get me wrong, I enjoy STP albums too, and I want us to get more as well.  But lets call a spade a spade here.  Sure Slash is being excessive with his rejection, but guess what, Scott was a dumb ass for speaking up when he did.  There should be a press release before anything else.  I dont really see what Slash did wrong here other than being too harsh.  Is that really that big a deal, especially in rock and roll? 

If you guys want to be mad at someone here, I think Scott and perhaps VR as a whole (including Scott) is most deserving.  Because one of two things have happened (1) Scott has lost his mind or (2) VR (with Scott) is getting back together and this is a publicity stunt.  Either way, the only person that absolutely deserves blame is Scott.  Slash didnt do anything that bad here, and the negative comments towards him are just STP fanboy rage. 

Personally, I dont really care who Scott makes his next record with (STP, solo, or VR).  I just want it to hear me some new SW and I want it to be sonically pleasing.  Let the chips fall where they may.  Although, I do really hope the Core reunion tour is still on. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:22:15 PM by Aaron »

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »

Personally, I dont really care who Scott makes his next record with (STP, solo, or VR).  I just want it to hear me some new SW and I want it to be sonically pleasing.  Let the chips fall where they may.  Although, I do really hope the Core reunion tour is still on. 

To be perfectly honest, the "business" nature of their relationship was evident on the last STP record, it didn't have the passion and the cohesiveness of the previous albums. A fine collection of songs, but only a decent album.

Given the choice between another STP album from a band in that frame of mind, and a pair of VR and AOA albums instead, i'll take the latter. At least on Libertad and AoA everyone sounded like they were really into it.

I'd rather have another perfect STP classic like their first 5 albums than any of that, but I don't see it happening, I don't think the magic is there right now.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »

To be perfectly honest, the "business" nature of their relationship was evident on the last STP record, it didn't have the passion and the cohesiveness of the previous albums. A fine collection of songs, but only a decent album.

Given the choice between another STP album from a band in that frame of mind, and a pair of VR and AOA albums instead, i'll take the latter. At least on Libertad and AoA everyone sounded like they were really into it.

I'd rather have another perfect STP classic like their first 5 albums than any of that, but I don't see it happening, I don't think the magic is there right now.

I do agree initially, but on the last 2 or 3 US tour legs they did, I truly got the impression that they were recapturing some long-lost cohesiveness together.  I wasw lucky enough to see them each time they passed through the NY/NJ area and in 08 your comment rings perfectly true.  There was nothing in the stage presence to show that they were having tons of fun with each other.  It was clocking in, putting on a good show, and then clocking out 85 minutes later. 

Shortly after the release of the album, any show I saw definitely transformed in how they were interacting with one another and the genuine looks on their faces.  The very last fall tour in 2011, even though apparently tiring and growing stale, still gave that feeling.  I mean there's always the possibility that they just became better actors on stage, but I choose to hope for the more positive potential.

I was really hoping that vibe would carry them into the new year, but whatever this VR thing is (stunt, truth, misunderstandings, etc.) has to cause some kind of hiccup.  I feel like as long as the rest of STP still knows the tour dates are getting booked, this could be just another "here he goes" moment to them.

I stand by a comment I've made on different threads multiple times in that the talent and abilities are still there, regardless of the factor that is driving them.  BUT they shouldn't be producing too much themselves and they need to get their asses together and jam/write songs.  Not Scott's BS trend of doing vocals in the studio alone.  Those 2 things alone could've translated to a very different product in S/T album (which IMO isn't all that bad, just different).
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »
Dean was doing the rabbit ears behinds Scott head when he was talking, thats never a good sign ;)
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »

I do agree initially, but on the last 2 or 3 US tour legs they did, I truly got the impression that they were recapturing some long-lost cohesiveness together.  I wasw lucky enough to see them each time they passed through the NY/NJ area and in 08 your comment rings perfectly true.  There was nothing in the stage presence to show that they were having tons of fun with each other.  It was clocking in, putting on a good show, and then clocking out 85 minutes later. 

Shortly after the release of the album, any show I saw definitely transformed in how they were interacting with one another and the genuine looks on their faces.  The very last fall tour in 2011, even though apparently tiring and growing stale, still gave that feeling.  I mean there's always the possibility that they just became better actors on stage, but I choose to hope for the more positive potential.

I was really hoping that vibe would carry them into the new year, but whatever this VR thing is (stunt, truth, misunderstandings, etc.) has to cause some kind of hiccup.  I feel like as long as the rest of STP still knows the tour dates are getting booked, this could be just another "here he goes" moment to them.

I stand by a comment I've made on different threads multiple times in that the talent and abilities are still there, regardless of the factor that is driving them.  BUT they shouldn't be producing too much themselves and they need to get their asses together and jam/write songs.  Not Scott's BS trend of doing vocals in the studio alone.  Those 2 things alone could've translated to a very different product in S/T album (which IMO isn't all that bad, just different).

Yeah, I think in the immediacy of a gig, especially when they are being well received, all the differences and chemistry problems just evaporate. I saw them in Detroit on the comeback tour, and in London, England on the Self Titled tour, and they absolutely KILLED both times. I also saw them in London on the SLDD tour, at a gig Scott described in an interview as "one of the best we ever played", and I can honestly say I enjoyed the second London gig just as much. So they can still do it live, that's for sure.

Agree about the album also, it could well be that the presence of Brendan O'Brien is a catalyst for their creativity. Certainly the album lacked the sparkle he brings. I don't think it is a poor album at all either, I listen to it all the time, but their previous 4 albums (i'll stop short of Core there) are nothing short of total genius, there's not a thing I would change about any of them. So they had a lot to live up to. My expectations of this band are higher than any other band, so in a way they have cursed themselves by their own high standards.

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »

I agree with this as well, and that should show Scott which band to be more loyal to. Scott has pulled way more shit on the Deleo's than with VR, yet the Deleo's are still willing to put up with it after 20 years.
You know, I totally disagree.  You're not the first person to make this "point" but I think its a bullshit point.  The Deleo's and Eric have made every attempt to distance themselves from Scott their various side projects are testament to this.  They've even said in interviews more than once, that they would have no problem saying "fuck you" (to Scott) if their side projects took off.  Further, we have comments from all the parties that the reunion was for money.  Out of respect for Scott the musician (and how irreplaceable he is) they didnt kick him out of the band, but lets not put the Deleos on some pedestal here, when its amazingly clear that they'd do something else with someone else if they could make the kind of money they can make with Scott.  Everyone in STP is there for the money. 

I dont like my boss, but I tolerate it because I enjoy earning money.  The Deleos by their own admission are no different. 

Now dont get me wrong, I enjoy STP albums too, and I want us to get more as well.  But lets call a spade a spade here.  Sure Slash is being excessive with his rejection, but guess what, Scott was a dumb ass for speaking up when he did.  There should be a press release before anything else.  I dont really see what Slash did wrong here other than being too harsh.  Is that really that big a deal, especially in rock and roll? 

If you guys want to be mad at someone here, I think Scott and perhaps VR as a whole (including Scott) is most deserving.  Because one of two things have happened (1) Scott has lost his mind or (2) VR (with Scott) is getting back together and this is a publicity stunt.  Either way, the only person that absolutely deserves blame is Scott.  Slash didnt do anything that bad here, and the negative comments towards him are just STP fanboy rage. 

Ok, I don't disagree. I don't have any "STP fanboy rage" and I will go ahead and say that no matter my opinion on VR, Scott was still a dumbass to come out and say what he said. My "point" is that STP is more loyal. Period. We all know that tensions are still at least somewhat high in the VR camp. Maybe STP isn't too happy with Scott either, but they've stuck around 20 years (and yeah I know money is probably the biggest factor but honestly, we all know that if Scott really screws something up, like huge, they will end it). I just don't want Scott to give up on STP for VR only to find that STP won't give him another chance after VR goes away. I'm all up for VR as a side project that won't interfere with STP. I wasn't trying to be a fanboy and defend him by making him look smart after all this when clearly he doesn't,   sorry if I didn't seem to make that clear enough.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX