September 29, 2024, 08:29:07 AM

Author Topic: Velvet Revolver Reunited (70% chance of BS)  (Read 39321 times)

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Velvet Revolver Reunited (70% chance of BS)
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »
People always talk about the singles, but it always just comes down to preference.  The singles from this disc were fine (especially considering one of them went #1). 

I don't know 100% who ultimately has the final say in picking singles, but logic would say it's Atlantic, and they've done pretty well in that department as well.  I think the only one I really disagreed with was Days of the Week, but I can at least respect the angle they were trying to go with on that one. 

I will agree with the shooting four videos though.  From where we're sitting it seems like, if you've already put in the work to make them, might as well put them out there.  Not like it costs anything.  But I'm sure there's a business angle that led to that decision I can't see playing armchair record executive so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
slash apparently keeps saying that all of this scott business isn't true, maybe they kicked slash out hahaha

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
I'm sure that once they decided not to financially back Cinnamon as a single that there was no need to release the video.  Once there was some demand for it and the one leaked, then both eventually came out.

The fact that neither Scott nor VR have put out a press release on an official position is quite interesting.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
I happen to agree a lot with what people are saying, but there are also some things I don't agree with.

I was the one who earlier said that Atlantic is partially to blame, and I still stand by that, but it's mainly a management issue. Whether that be with Atlantic or someone else, I don't know. All I know is whoever was in charge had STP on a very long leesh, to seemingly treat this however they want. It felt like there were no precautions, especially with presentation of the band, and that's basically saying "whatever, we don't give a fuck" in a music climate where success is widely based on presentation. I'm talking about image and branding, which is something STP used to have but doesn't anymore. That's why the choice to release a single where Scott Weiland sounds like Bob Dylan, and releasing a video for it where the band looks like sloppy old men (and where they are hardly featured at all in the video) was a bad idea. If Atlantic really cared about making sure STP sold well this time around, they would have, or hired someone to really push STP around and organize them.

To say Cinnamon was the saving grace of this album is something I also disagree with. I'm on the side of the fence that would argue that it's a weak choice for a single. In fact, the whole album S/T wasn't very single-friendly, which presented a huge problem, but I think overall it would have been wiser to try to pick some songs closer to classic STP. That's what the moderate-STP fan would've wanted. That's what the moderate-STP fan didn't get, and that's why the moderate-STP fan dismissed the album and moved on.

Man, I'm getting smited all over the place because of this conversation. Lame...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:48:38 PM by MrKerosene »
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
slash apparently keeps saying that all of this scott business isn't true, maybe they kicked slash out hahaha

That would be funny, but I doubt they'd do that. I definitely think there is something to this because VR's site is offline....
Bleeda blooda

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »
This could all be a way to get some legs for the DVD that comes out this month.

Veesk

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2012, 09:35:01 PM »
Wow, this I did not expect. I would be happy to be able to see VR live again, I used to love their live shows but not if it means the end of STP again. What a dilemma!

Slash didn't come across particularly well in that interview and will look pretty stupid if this reunion does happen too.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2012, 09:46:07 PM »

but I think overall it would have been wiser to try to pick some songs closer to classic STP. That's what the moderate-STP fan would've wanted. That's what the moderate-STP fan didn't get, and that's why the moderate-STP fan dismissed the album and moved on.

I was always crossing my fingers "Fast As I Can" would make it there.....sigh...

For the past 12 or so years, to live in a world of STP is to live in a world of hindsight.  The ability/talent is still there, but it's been a while since the formula has worked, regardless of who's pulling the strings.  IMO for quite a while now Atlantic has had one foot out the door when it comes to representing rock acts.  They're growth has only been the safest of bets for current acts, otherwise their claim is legacy and back catalogues.  I'm not saying they haven't put forth effort for STP, but when you minimize the resources you allocate to a brand/product you're minimizing the effect you can have on it, creating more pressure for the product to sell itself (which other than reunion hype itself, is something the band hasn't been able to do). 

Fingers crossed that when they release from Atlantic and get a change of scenery (regardless of where you want to attribute fault) breeds greater inspiration.  If it's tangled with bits of VR and other side-projects then the more the merrier, as long as the STP train keeps running!
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »
Personally, I think this place gets way to hung up on monetary success.  I don't care if their next disc sells 10 thousand or 10 million.  Financial success isn't the problem with this band, it's a colossal fuck up of a front man.  I know a lot of people tie it in that things within the band would run smoother if they were doing better professionally, but honestly, if this band can't function at this point without printing money like they used to, then fuck em.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
Personally, I think this place gets way to hung up on monetary success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHCVyllnck
Bleeda blooda

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
Personally, I think this place gets way to hung up on monetary success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHCVyllnck

So underrated.  Own it!

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »
Personally, I think this place gets way to hung up on monetary success.  I don't care if their next disc sells 10 thousand or 10 million.  Financial success isn't the problem with this band, it's a colossal fuck up of a front man.  I know a lot of people tie it in that things within the band would run smoother if they were doing better professionally, but honestly, if this band can't function at this point without printing money like they used to, then fuck em.

This goes back to what I said a bit earlier.  STP can't figure out who they are.  If you only watched them live versus bought the albums, you'd have no idea it was the same band.

I brought up Jack in the Box because I read an interesting article where they are having more difficulty than other fast food outlets in the bad economy because they lack identity.  McDonalds, Taco Bell, Chipotle, KFC...there's a solid, identifiable identity to each.  Jack in the Box has tacos, burgers, pitas, rice bowls, chicken strips, jalepenos, potato skins, sandwiches, burritos, croissants...etc.  Well, STP has hard rock, pop, folk, bossa nova, country, etc.  Variety is fine.  But you can't hope to be McDonalds or U2 with that much variety.  You just can't.   I love their versatiltiy.  But it doesn't equal lasting success.

Unfortunately, STP still sells themselves--to radio and in concert--as a massive hard rock band.  They're not.  So it's like they are one thing on record and another thing everywhere else.

Either they should continue making great records where they show their unique talent to take on almost any genre--then represent that live to the rabid fans that love it, while not shunning their hits, of course--or they need to become a nostalgia act and just play their hard rock hits and forget recording records outside of their side projects.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2012, 11:32:17 PM »

Yeah, but this isn't why I brought money up, TP. The reason I brought up money is because that's probably what's on Weiland's mind when he decided to go ahead and try to rekindle a working relationship with VR. I don't care either way. I'll keep listening to STP, but money has been an issue that Weiland has brought up plenty of times. I can imagine if one band isn't looking too lucrative, then maybe it's time to utilize the other one.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
as andrew said, the website is gone, that is very interesting

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2012, 11:42:35 PM »
How is Scott still silent on this?