September 29, 2024, 08:19:07 AM

Author Topic: Velvet Revolver Reunited (70% chance of BS)  (Read 39313 times)

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
Re: Velvet Revolver Reunited (70% chance of BS)
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »
On a side note, why is it accepted that the reunion has been unsuccessful?  I know the album sales weren't there for the new record, but that's hardly important in this day and age.  Plus, I was under the impression that their tours have been VERY financially successful.

STP are a successful touring act, even though self-titled wasn't a big hit STP could easily come out with another hit album.  By hit I mean an album with multiple radio hits, albums rarely actually go platinum any more.

Even Scott said recently, that rock acts put out albums to support tours now.  Instead of the old, tour to support your album.

Yeah, he did say that, but I find it partially true. It's true that album sales in general are falling, but it doesn't mean that no one sells albums anymore. When he said that originally, it sounded to me like him trying to reason with the fact that S/T didn't sell that well. My argument, is it is more of a problem with STP's current relevance in pop culture, and it is something that the band and Atlantic have decided not to care too much about.

I'm not saying this to be a hater, but anyone who thinks I'm wrong here, you may be looking at this with a very biased eye. STP will always be my favorite band, but we are talking about a nearly 10 year break from releasing any new music, and that's going to have some consequences.

Honestly, it's not like any STP contemporaries are particularly relevant.  With the exception of the Foo Fighters, none of the 90s rock bands (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Rage, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins, Live, Filter, NiN, ect., ect..) are doing anything but selling less albums then they did before. 
And the bands that are moving albums, hardly have any relevance or name recognition in pop culture, their albums are just flavors of the moment. 
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2012, 02:54:32 AM »
On a side note, why is it accepted that the reunion has been unsuccessful?  I know the album sales weren't there for the new record, but that's hardly important in this day and age.  Plus, I was under the impression that their tours have been VERY financially successful.

STP are a successful touring act, even though self-titled wasn't a big hit STP could easily come out with another hit album.  By hit I mean an album with multiple radio hits, albums rarely actually go platinum any more.

Even Scott said recently, that rock acts put out albums to support tours now.  Instead of the old, tour to support your album.

Yeah, he did say that, but I find it partially true. It's true that album sales in general are falling, but it doesn't mean that no one sells albums anymore. When he said that originally, it sounded to me like him trying to reason with the fact that S/T didn't sell that well. My argument, is it is more of a problem with STP's current relevance in pop culture, and it is something that the band and Atlantic have decided not to care too much about.

I'm not saying this to be a hater, but anyone who thinks I'm wrong here, you may be looking at this with a very biased eye. STP will always be my favorite band, but we are talking about a nearly 10 year break from releasing any new music, and that's going to have some consequences.

Honestly, it's not like any STP contemporaries are particularly relevant.  With the exception of the Foo Fighters, none of the 90s rock bands (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Rage, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins, Live, Filter, NiN, ect., ect..) are doing anything but selling less albums then they did before. 
And the bands that are moving albums, hardly have any relevance or name recognition in pop culture, their albums are just flavors of the moment. 

Yeah, but there are also bands that are able to pull it off. I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay, but they're still alive and kicking strong. Same with Red Hot Chili Peppers (despite a subpar album).

It's all just in the presentation, and if there was anything that worried me, it was STP picking things back up without any sense of presentation in mind. After ten years, how are you going to let fans know that you're still that band they love? Make something within the ballpark of what you used to do *cough* Core *cough* and visually present yourself the way people know you for, ie. No. 4 - Contraband-looking Scott Weiland.

Again, this isn't stuff I agree with. I loved the way STP stuck to their guns and made something new and different, but it costed them.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03:01 AM »

Yeah, but there are also bands that are able to pull it off. I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay, but they're still alive and kicking strong. Same with Red Hot Chili Peppers (despite a subpar album).

It's all just in the presentation, and if there was anything that worried me, it was STP picking things back up without any sense of presentation in mind. After ten years, how are you going to let fans know that you're still that band they love? Make something within the ballpark of what you used to do *cough* Core *cough* and visually present yourself the way people know you for, ie. No. 4 - Contraband-looking Scott Weiland.

Again, this isn't stuff I agree with. I loved the way STP stuck to their guns and made something new and different, but it costed them.

It cost them in the short run, but I honestly believe that all of their MUSICAL descisions since Core have done nothing but improve their legacy.  No matter how many records they sell, in the end, all that matters is how they are remembered. 
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:17 AM »
I just noticed....we have one guy who is responsible for all of this:

AXL

???

What's really a shame, is that Scott doesn't notice that the most beautiful music he's been capable of doing has always come out with STP. VR has some decent songs, so has Scott's solo albums but overall the musical collaboration of STP is where the magic happens. S/T had few songs that were as good as any of the 90s classics.

So money talks I guess.........
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »

Pearl Jam's sales figures have held steady since No Code, nobody could realistically be expected to sustain the kind of insane sales they had before that.

IMO, the reason why PJ have been able to sustain a moderate, but consistent level of album sales for so long is because of the way they have connected with their fans, something that STP have failed to do at any point during their career. The mp3 concert downloads, and making every concert available professionally mixed was a genius marketing move, Pearl Jam are a band that truly gives back to their fans. I think if STP had followed this model, we'd still be seeing decent album sales for them today.

I prefer STP musically, but they are just not as switched on in a business sense as some of their contemporaries.

Lolzeyes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
“When grilled further on the possibility of Weiland’s return to singing duties, Slash said, “We have no intention of going backwards.”

hmmm..

didn't they play a show just not while a go with Scott on singing duties...?

Also, if he wanted to move forward, he'd release the album worth material that was recorded with Corey Taylor - let's not forget / or maybe give Miles Kennedy a chance to be the new VR frontman... but no! Slash pretty much knows VR isn't VR without Scott. No matter what he says..

As for Scott i surely hope he knows what he's doing / i mean, for STP's sake. Would hate to come over here and read one day "Stone Temple Pilots, Break Up - Again"..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:38:57 PM by Lolzeyes »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
I don't think STP would even bother announcing a split at this point, they didn't announce one officially last time either, Dean kind of just alluded to the fact that releasing an album called "Thank You"  kind of suggests an ending.

I think the band would simply cease recording and touring and say nothing about it, rather than "split up".

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
My guess is either Scott misinterpreted a couple conversations he had with Duff & Dave, or he just spoke too soon and Slas & Duff are running damage control to release the news in a more preferred manner.

I hope Scott just hasn't pulled a Mike Portnoy here (get overexcited for a possible side-project, piss off the current bandmates, get shut down by side-project).

In reference to earlier, I do agree STP could easily have been more relevant with S/T album.  There were songs there that could've worked as radio singles, and Cinnamon especially could have easily landed spins on cross-over stations as well.  Had Atlantic Records given a moderate attempt to push the album/singles, there would be a much different aura in the STP camp right now.

My biggest fear out of all of it, assuming Scott was true to his word that he'd dedicate himself to both projects, would be the possibility of Scott wasting any possible vocals/lyrics on VR material that may have worked better with a DeLeo creation.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
When are we going to quit blaming Atlantic Records for everything?  Plenty of bands and albums are successful without some huge advertising campaign behind it. 

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
When are we going to quit blaming Atlantic Records for everything?  Plenty of bands and albums are successful without some huge advertising campaign behind it. 
^This.  STP owes a lot of blame to themselves, especially lately.  I love STPs music as much as the next of us, but they tend to love nothing more than shooting themselves in the foot. 

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
Now that Slash has denied the reunion, I wonder if Scott will release a statement explaining the confusion.  Or perhaps VR is getting a new lead guitarist :)
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2012, 05:47:38 PM »

Definitely not for everything (I don't think anyone's that naive) but for sustainable air play...how could you not?  With the lack of domination by anything in circulation from 2010 into 2011 and rock radio looking for some sort of identity, I can't help but imagine a little bit more of a push couldn't have made atleast a bit of a difference in the drop-off from Between The Lines to Take a Load Off.  But there's been enough threads about this....

maybe to rephrase, had certain efforts been made in a few different areas I think there would've been more positivity in the STP camp going into their break in December.  Paying that forward, any news of Scott saying he was running with VR again I think would be received with a bit more optimism here.  Regardless, once some more Core tour details come out and it's full steam ahead, truth or speculation, this will take a back seat.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »
STP has no one to blame but themselves.  They can't decide what they are.  They're the Jack in the Box of music.  Lots of variety, but have sales struggles because they don't have an identity.  That's been the issue since Tiny Music, and it is only gotten "worse" since.

The problem is that they still come out like they are some power house rock band, and Scott acts as if he is still some big rock star.  They're not; he's not.

STP has to decide if they are going to continue to make interesting music and be a stellar live act or if they are just going to do their own things musically and be a nostalgia act.

But they are trying to walk a thin line in between and it's not working.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
Stone Temple Pilots' biggest enemy is Stone Temple Pilots.  The label is at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to the blame game.  And let's not forget that Atlantic is the same label that was in charge during their treamdous success too, they've pressed millions of records for these guys. 

They got a number one single off of this album, that's as good as I can ask from them.  Atlantic does not control what gets played on the radio, they put out the singles but program directors and the masses ultimately decide the popularity.  A huge portion of what makes a #1 single is completely out of their hands.  Some would say it's a shift in what's popular in 2012, some would say the music just wasn't there this time out.  I would say it's a little of both.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
STP has no one to blame but themselves.  They can't decide what they are.  They're the Jack in the Box of music.  Lots of variety, but have sales struggles because they don't have an identity.  That's been the issue since Tiny Music, and it is only gotten "worse" since.

The problem is that they still come out like they are some power house rock band, and Scott acts as if he is still some big rock star.  They're not; he's not.

STP has to decide if they are going to continue to make interesting music and be a stellar live act or if they are just going to do their own things musically and be a nostalgia act.

But they are trying to walk a thin line in between and it's not working.

this is true, the self titled could have sold well had they picked the right singles, but they didn't and then managed to shoot 4 videos and only really released 1 of them